Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex-Muslim Women

(Read 17294 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex-Muslim Women
     OP - November 13, 2008, 04:37 PM

I noticed there are quite a few ex-Muslim women on here (including a few new ones a I haven't seen before).

It reminded me that Islam has some pretty awful things as far as women are concerned. (Verses about hitting, that they are deficient in mind and religion, that they are given half the legal status of men etc...)

I just wondered whether it was those factors that turned you away from Islam - or was it something else?
  • Re: Ex-Muslim Women
     Reply #1 - November 13, 2008, 05:22 PM

Hassan,
    I am not an Ex muslims. But, most of the older religions have those kind of verses, not only Islam. And all of them have 2 kinds of verses: Ones in which women are respected, 2nd they are treated like a property.

E.g. Hinduism.

ManuSmriti:

Her father protects (her) in childhood, her husband protects (her) in youth, and her sons protect (her) in old age; a woman is never fit for independence.

And the same book says that:

Where women are respected, god visit those houses.

So, I don't find Islam different in that regard. Religions just absorb the social structure prevailing at the time of their development. Before 1500 yrs, sexism might have accepted norm in all the society.

The more and more impartial I become, I think Islam is not evil, just a concept of its time. Just take the spiritual elements, it is fine. The thing which I find bit dangerous is, today's Muslim youth is going back towards literal interpretations of Islam and gives Islam independence to dectate gender issues, economy, law etc. as compared to youth of other religions who are mostly finding spiritual comfort in their religion. I hope that changes.

I would be very much interested to read what Ex-muslim women have to say.
     Reply #2 - November 13, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hi learn2bcalm, yes it's true that religion in general has not been terribly good to women.

It is also interesting that prophets, messengers and bearers of Holy books tend to be men. (Not to mention the majority of Religious Scholars, Sheikhs, Imams, Priest,  Rabbis, Gurus etc...)

Hmmm.... I think there may be a connection here...  Wink
     Reply #3 - November 13, 2008, 06:47 PM

The more and more impartial I become, I think Islam is not evil, just a concept of its time. Just take the spiritual elements, it is fine. The thing which I find bit dangerous is, today's Muslim youth is going back towards literal interpretations of Islam and gives Islam independence to dectate gender issues, economy, law etc. as compared to youth of other religions who are mostly finding spiritual comfort in their religion. I hope that changes.

Hi learntobecalm,

I think you nailed it there.
     Reply #4 - November 13, 2008, 06:50 PM

I was so sure learn was an ex. Hafidha references and all.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #5 - November 13, 2008, 07:21 PM

Hi learntobecalm,

This had been rewritten for clarification.

Turquoise: Stating that islam is "Not evil" and then comparing "Islam as a concept to its time" is a big strawman

Personally I never compare islam as a concept of its time. I compare Islam in relation to my time. Hundreds of Thousands of religions have started and ended. They matter little to us today. Why should I worry about islam relative to its time? I worry about islam now. Believe me once islam is dead or reformed (whichever happens first) I will not care about islam by as much as i do not care about the hindu or sikh or the viking hocus pocus.

Now to address the Second point you made about islam compared to its time. I will say yes, islam was quite evil relative to its time. The Rulers of the Kaabas all over Arabia permitted people from all religions and tribes to come over and erect statues to their heroes and their loved ones. People from all religions and beliefs co-existed. Islam took that multi-culturalism away. Tribes had their women in leadership roles. Mostly men took care of the external affairs and women of the internal affairs. Islam took that leadership away from women.

Reading the Sharia, I find not just that Sharia does not add anything positive to our times today (if it adds something positive plz name it), I also find now that Sharia does not add anything to the lives of the people when it was written, with the One exception at the time where it banned the habit of burying girls. A habit that the desert arabs were doing and the city arabs were trying to stop anyways even without muhammad's interference.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #6 - November 13, 2008, 09:16 PM

Hi learntobecalm,

This had been rewritten for clarification.

Turquoise: Stating that islam is "Not evil" and then comparing "Islam as a concept to its time" is a big strawman

Personally I never compare islam as a concept of its time. I compare Islam in relation to my time. Hundreds of Thousands of religions have started and ended. They matter little to us today. Why should I worry about islam relative to its time? I worry about islam now. Believe me once islam is dead or reformed (whichever happens first) I will not care about islam by as much as i do not care about the hindu or sikh or the viking hocus pocus.

Now to address the Second point you made about islam compared to its time. I will say yes, islam was quite evil relative to its time. The Rulers of the Kaabas all over Arabia permitted people from all religions and tribes to come over and erect statues to their heroes and their loved ones. People from all religions and beliefs co-existed. Islam took that multi-culturalism away. Tribes had their women in leadership roles. Mostly men took care of the external affairs and women of the internal affairs. Islam took that leadership away from women.

Reading the Sharia, I find not just that Sharia does not add anything positive to our times today (if it adds something positive plz name it), I also find now that Sharia does not add anything to the lives of the people when it was written, with the One exception at the time where it banned the habit of burying girls. A habit that the desert arabs were doing and the city arabs were trying to stop anyways even without muhammad's interference.

Look, you maybe right.  I know that many think that Islam brought unity among the warring tribes and some sort of order.  Of course, I don't think that it's appliable nowadays.  But I have seen first hand that some Muslim people find solace and spiritual fulfillment in it, and I know wonderful Muslim people.  I don't think we know enough about preislamic Arabia to conclude that things were any better.  Maybe Khadija was an exception and only because she was a wealthy widow.  At any rate I don't agree with Islam's treatment of women as well as other issues discussed in this site.  Having said that I know some women who are happy within it, I think it depends on whether they get a good and understanding husband or not. 

Reply #7 - November 13, 2008, 09:29 PM

But we do know a lot about pre-islamic arabia. We even know the names and locations of the other kaabas before they were destroyed. we know that Arabs did the exact same rituals islam did for haj, except they often performed them naked. Haj came from Hak, which meant Rubbing.

Also it confuses me a lot when you state "islam is not evil" and then state "muslims are good people". One is not a direct defense to the other as we can (and we do) have both conditions simultaneously.

On the other spectrum there is elle being a murtad takfiri stating that if they are good muslims then they are not muslims and that confuses the crap out of me a lot more.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #8 - November 13, 2008, 09:37 PM

Of course it was those things. The majority of people in hell are women?! We're not even given a chance! It's women who are starting wars and raping children. Give me a break. And all the double standard rules that don't apply to men. Everything about it makes me more furious than you could ever imagine. Islam views women as baby making machines with a child's brain.  furious

My brother always says "Islam is a man's religion!" and now I always say "So true".
    My mom says "No it's not!" just like me when I was a Muslim. Just ignoring what I didn't like.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #9 - November 13, 2008, 09:41 PM

I have always thought women find it easier to leave, not easier out there but inside their heads there is more to dislike about Islam, and their position in it.

Men have so much to remain for, especially if they get off on the control factor, or if they have inferiority complexes and need to believe that they are better than someone, even if it is the entire female side of the human race.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - November 13, 2008, 09:42 PM

Yes, I agree completely and like all religions Islam is not one thing - but many things to many people. It is absurd to talk about Islam being evil when it's understanding and interpretation differs from the moderate, liberal to the Sufi mystic to the literalist Wahhabi.

One can talk about the Islam of such and such a group is evil... But when one generalises then one includes the Islam of peaceful and spiritual people.

Those who insist Islam is Evil and don't differentiate - are much like the Wahhabis themselves who insist that only 'their' version of Islam is the 'true' Islam.

And of course Muhammad and what he said must be judged in his context. Just as Bin Laden and how he uses Muhammad's words or Sheikh Nazim (the Sufi) and how he uses Muhammad's words must be judged according to their context.

Reply #11 - November 13, 2008, 09:47 PM

I think it's fair to say that by modern standards Mohammed and what he created were evil. What other people have tried to do with it since then is not necessarily evil, but that's another topic. My point of view is that Islam is dangerous because if anyone really gets into it and decides to believe it fully then they'll be led to what we know as the "extremist" view.

Note that here I am not referring to those who reinterpret it according to their consciences but to those who want to follow it literally. This was what drove you away from Islam, Hass. You couldn't accept what it taught and you couldn't face being dishonest about it. 

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - November 13, 2008, 09:47 PM

I have seen first hand that some Muslim people find solace and spiritual fulfillment in it, and I know wonderful Muslim people. 

It's a shame we have to keep repeating that.
     Reply #13 - November 13, 2008, 09:52 PM

I think it's fair to say that by modern standards Mohammed and what he created were evil. What other people have tried to do with it since then is not necessarily evil, but that's another topic. My point of view is that Islam is dangerous because if anyone really gets into it and decides to believe it fully then they'll be led to what we know as the "extremist" view.

Note that here I am not referring to those who reinterpret it according to their consciences but to those who want to follow it literally. This was what drove you away from Islam, Hass. You couldn't accept what it taught and you couldn't face being dishonest about it. 

True - but I am not going to impose the way I saw it on someone else. Different characters see things differently.

I have another brother you know - and he is still Muslim and I argue all the time with him and tell him about how I found my liberal Islam dishonest.

But he simply doesn't see it that way - and he brings metaphysics into it and phillosophy and Plato and all sorts.

I don't buy it - but he does. Why should I insist he sees it the way I do? Particularly as his beliefs have brought him happiness and help him to be a wonderful and peace-loving guy.

I say, good luck to him. I don't believe in Islam - but I'm not going to go around saying Islam is evil and insist that my brother is 'wrong' when that's how he interprets Islam.  I will criticise the beliefs I think are wrong. But if someone has a peaceful and spiritual interpretation - good luck to them.

Reply #14 - November 13, 2008, 10:01 PM

Sure. He'd be one of the one's I'd classify as "those who reinterpret it according to their consciences". Nothing wrong with them as long as they don't insist on cramming down everyone else's throats.

Reply #15 - November 13, 2008, 10:02 PM

Sure. He'd be one of the one's I'd classify as "those who reinterpret it according to their consciences". Nothing wrong with them as long as they don't insist on cramming down everyone else's throats.

Or insisting that Islam really means what they have interpreted it to mean.

It may work for them, but it is misleading to others because Islam, literalist islam which is how Islam is meant to be practised, is nothing like how they are doing it.

Reply #16 - November 13, 2008, 10:04 PM

Well obviously they will insist that it really means what they have interpreted it to mean. You can't really expect them to say anything else.

Reply #17 - November 13, 2008, 10:22 PM

Well obviously they will insist that it really means what they have interpreted it to mean. You can't really expect them to say anything else.

That's right.

Berbs, you and I don't buy their interpretation of Islam - but they do - and let's face it - what they believe is for them to define for themselves.

Reply #18 - November 13, 2008, 10:23 PM

That's right.

Berbs, you and I don't buy their 'peaceful' Islam - but they do and let's face it what they believe is for them to define.

I know, I'm just having a tough time adjusting to the idea.  I just want to shake em and shake em lol but I know deep down that it really is their choice,

Reply #19 - November 13, 2008, 10:26 PM

That's right.

Berbs, you and I don't buy their 'peaceful' Islam - but they do and let's face it what they believe is for them to define.

I know, I'm just having a tough time adjusting to the idea.  I just want to shake em and shake em lol but I know deep down that it really is their choice,

Oh believe me I do shake him lol - in fact we have a truce at the moment because our 'discussions' were over-heating.

But if you knew him and his family you would see you couldn't meet nicer, more peaceful and open-minded people - yet he is 100% certain that his Islam is the 'real' Islam.

It is not the 'real' Islam to me - but it is the 'real' Islam to him - and that's what matters.
     Reply #20 - November 13, 2008, 10:28 PM

Ok, take Irshad Manji as an example. She's convinced she is a Muslim. She isn't, or at least not in any meaningful sense of the word because she discards so much of it that doesn't appeal to her, but at least what she's come up with is something that everyone could live with  even if they didn't want to live by  it.

So for the intellectually dishonest revisionist "Muslims" I say good on them and I hope they prevail, because realistically I don't see the religion totally disappearing anytime within the next four centuries.

Reply #21 - November 13, 2008, 10:35 PM

Of course it was those things. The majority of people in hell are women?! We're not even given a chance! It's women who are starting wars and raping children. Give me a break. And all the double standard rules that don't apply to men. Everything about it makes me more furious than you could ever imagine. Islam views women as baby making machines with a child's brain.  furious

My brother always says "Islam is a man's religion!" and now I always say "So true".
    My mom says "No it's not!" just like me when I was a Muslim. Just ignoring what I didn't like.

I can totally understand how you feel.

How are things at home now Iggy? Are you finding you are getting into arguments or keeping your head down?
     Reply #22 - November 13, 2008, 10:39 PM

Men have so much to remain for, especially if they get off on the control factor, or if they have inferiority complexes and need to believe that they are better than someone, even if it is the entire female side of the human race.

I suspect that some male converts are - at least partly - attracted by the idea of having an obedient and submissive Muslim wife.
     Reply #23 - November 13, 2008, 10:42 PM

True - but I am not going to impose the way I saw it on someone else. Different characters see things differently.

I have another brother you know - and he is still Muslim and I argue all the time with him and tell him about how I found my liberal Islam dishonest.

But he simply doesn't see it that way - and he brings metaphysics into it and phillosophy and Plato and all sorts.

I don't buy it - but he does. Why should I insist he sees it the way I do? Particularly as his beliefs have brought him happiness and help him to be a wonderful and peace-loving guy.

I say, good luck to him. I don't believe in Islam - but I'm not going to go around saying Islam is evil and insist that my brother is 'wrong' when that's how he interprets Islam.  I will criticise the beliefs I think are wrong. But if someone has a peaceful and spiritual interpretation - good luck to them.

I agree with Hassan...

There is a hadith where a guy comes to Mohammad and asks him if I only believe/perform four of the five pillars of islam (hajj being the fifth) would I enter heaven? and Mohammad said yes, and the guy said ok, then that is what I'll do then... and when he walked aways Mohammed said if he does them then he will be o.k.

most muslims live like that, believe, pray, give zakat, and fast ramadan, and that is all they do... Irshad Manji is one famous example, she is even a lesbian, which is not permitted according to islam... but hey, that is her version
     Reply #24 - November 14, 2008, 12:08 AM

I noticed there are quite a few ex-Muslim women on here (including a few new ones a I haven't seen before).

It reminded me that Islam has some pretty awful things as far as women are concerned. (Verses about hitting, that they are deficient in mind and religion, that they are given half the legal status of men etc...)

I just wondered whether it was those factors that turned you away from Islam - or was it something else?

No, it was the issue of theism and the Quran and Sunnah.  But in retrospect, ie after I had admitted out loud that I was a goner, I have been able to look at some of the gender things in a new light.  Because I lived in the Middle East, I saw injustice against women on a regular basis.  It was frustrating, but for a long time I believed that it was because Muslims weren't living up to the promise of Islaam.  I guess I bought into it like Icelandic banks bought into debt fever.  I concentrated more on god than anything else, so I thought that 2 women witnesses to 1 man and so on were really the way god wanted it.  But when you realize there isn't a god, then the other things come into stark contrast.  Like if there isn't a god, then why on earth should I buy into these medieval ideas about women?  As progressive as they may have been a thousand years ago, we have a whole new world today.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #25 - November 14, 2008, 12:45 AM

The role and treatment of women in Islam was a big factor, but there were other aspects that I simply could not agree with.

The issue of choice of seeing Islam in accordance to their own conscience reminds me of this girl that knew me during A-levels. She was in Year 13 and I was in Year 12, and she was Ahmadi. She knew I was too, but saw that I had a boyfriend and saw that I was openly comfortable with interacting with boys. She was quite strict in the sense that she spent a lot of her time at the mosque doing speeches and whatnot.

One day she got tired of seeing me so openly befriending these boys. She came upto me in the common room that the sixth formers shared and said "Can I talk to you please?" We went outside the common room and she said to me: "I know it's not my business, but as your Ahmaddi sister I have to tell you that what you are doing is un-Islamic, it's wrong, you shouldn't have a boyfriend...", etc." It went on.

When she finished I said to her "You summed it up in the first few words, it's not your business. Only my direct family is able to tell me how they feel about such a situation, not you"

That shut her up, I walked away and sat back down with my boyfriend at the time.

The reason I was reminded of this was because I've read in this thread how people philosphize and cherry-pick to fit Islam to their conscience, but I just can't believe the extent people go to do that. It's quite clear in the Quran on the topic of the role of women, yet some females themselves make excuses for it and try to shove it down everyone elses throat.
     Reply #26 - November 14, 2008, 01:05 AM

Hassan, I was actually fine as a Muslim woman. I didn't have a problem with hijab, and considered fornication a sin so didn't think I was obeying anyone else's orders. I tended to ignore the weird stuff in the quran the same way you ignore most of it because it's all weird. Islam for me was a contemporary way of life, I didn't care for old rules.

I left Islam because I realised all religion was rubbish. It was only since then that I have suffered as a woman for wanting to be in charge of my life, especially with regards to relationships. The hardships I'm going through now are just cementing my general opposition to religion and dogma.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
     Reply #27 - November 14, 2008, 12:13 PM

No, it was the issue of theism and the Quran and Sunnah.  But in retrospect, ie after I had admitted out loud that I was a goner, I have been able to look at some of the gender things in a new light.  Because I lived in the Middle East, I saw injustice against women on a regular basis.  It was frustrating, but for a long time I believed that it was because Muslims weren't living up to the promise of Islaam.  I guess I bought into it like Icelandic banks bought into debt fever.  I concentrated more on god than anything else, so I thought that 2 women witnesses to 1 man and so on were really the way god wanted it.  But when you realize there isn't a god, then the other things come into stark contrast.  Like if there isn't a god, then why on earth should I buy into these medieval ideas about women?  As progressive as they may have been a thousand years ago, we have a whole new world today.

Hi Fading,

I think it when one sees one part of the divine edifice collapse that one suddenly starts realizing it's faulty in a lot of other places too.

One of the issues for me was the verse about hitting. The problem with the the 'literal word of God'  is that it must all be totally rock-solid and without fault. Even if one tiny crack appears - it throws the whole thing in doubt.

I think that shock is what made me look again at other parts and say - hmmmm... hang on a minute - this bit sounds distinctly dodgy... and this bit... and this bit...

I guess it's all a matter of perspective... lol

Reply #28 - November 14, 2008, 12:17 PM

people philosphize and cherry-pick to fit Islam to their conscience, but I just can't believe the extent people go to do that. It's quite clear in the Quran on the topic of the role of women, yet some females themselves make excuses for it and try to shove it down everyone elses throat.

I can't get my head round it either, Heartbomb.

It amazes me that intelligent and reasonable people can't see that their 'mix-n-match' Islam is just their own personal creations and therefore totally undermines any claim to it being divine.

Yet they seem to be able to do it.

The only way I can rationalise it is that we are simply all different and some things that satisfy some do not satisfy others.

Reply #29 - November 14, 2008, 12:22 PM

Hassan, I was actually fine as a Muslim woman. I didn't have a problem with hijab, and considered fornication a sin so didn't think I was obeying anyone else's orders. I tended to ignore the weird stuff in the quran the same way you ignore most of it because it's all weird. Islam for me was a contemporary way of life, I didn't care for old rules.

I left Islam because I realised all religion was rubbish. It was only since then that I have suffered as a woman for wanting to be in charge of my life, especially with regards to relationships. The hardships I'm going through now are just cementing my general opposition to religion and dogma.

Hi ladyofshalott,

Yes, and I know many Muslimahs who are genuinely content with their hijab and give many good reasons why they wear it - and at the end of the day it's up to them and they should have the freedom to wear what they want.

I agree about religion being rubbish lol  grin12

btw your name always reminds me of 'Ann of Green Gables' - have you ever read/watched that? LOL... I know I'm a soppy nit-wit hehe  grin12
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »