Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
October 04, 2024, 01:18 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
October 03, 2024, 12:57 PM

New Britain
October 02, 2024, 07:07 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: As EM, are we Atheist?

(Read 8126 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • As EM, are we Atheist?
     OP - May 06, 2010, 10:36 PM

As 'Ex Muslims', what do we class ourselves as?

Are we Muslims who don't take the religion *that* serious any
    more?

Do we still class ourselves as Muslims?

Are we 'Atheist'? If this is the case, why are we part of an "ex-Muslim" group rather than an Atheist group?

What are we?
  • Re: As EM, are we Atheist?
     Reply #1 - May 06, 2010, 10:40 PM

Not all ex-muslims are atheist.
     Reply #2 - May 06, 2010, 10:48 PM

Ex Muslims can even be Christians! or any religion really. Usually though people just get tired of religion one way or another though

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #3 - May 06, 2010, 10:49 PM

there is no collective "We". Everyone is different. The only thing we all have in common is that we are ex-muslims. After that, you can be anything that you'd like to be.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #4 - May 06, 2010, 10:50 PM

As 'Ex Muslims', what do we class ourselves as?

Are we Muslims who don't take the religion *that* serious any
    more?

Do we still class ourselves as Muslims?

Are we 'Atheist'? If this is the case, why are we part of an "ex-Muslim" group rather than an Atheist group?

What are we?

'o.O

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #5 - May 06, 2010, 10:53 PM

Welcome sield,
     signwelcome

Yes we are apostates of Islam, and we defend the rights of ex-Muslims no matter what new creed they follow.
    But it seems most of us are Atheists/Agnostics/Freethinkers/Pantheists.
    By the way, to join the CEMB, you don't even have to be an ex-Muslim.  There are many members here who have never been Muslim.  You can even be a Muslim.

Edit: My bad  015  this IS the intro section, so I've removed my first line.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - May 06, 2010, 10:56 PM

Sield, when we say we're ex-Muslims you realize what we're saying is that we refuse to believe that Islam is the true religion? That means we don't believe Allah exists and that means Muhammad was a fake... I got a funny feeling you think an ex-Muslim is something else... like a non-practising Muslim. We're not those.

Reply #7 - May 06, 2010, 10:57 PM

@ Prince Spinoza

So what are you? If not an Atheist, but an 'Ex-Muslim', how would you describe yourself?

Do you still subscribe to Allah? If so, how can you be 'ex' Muslim without being Atheist?
     Reply #8 - May 06, 2010, 11:08 PM

Absolutely, ateapotist. As only is fair. And a good comment.

So allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Simon.

I was brought up Roman Catholic.

Then my parents split, after which I was told to believe in Mormon, Judaism, then finally Islam. Not all these can be right.

Ergo I am "Ex" all of them, but Muslim is the hardest thing I've walked away from.
     Reply #9 - May 06, 2010, 11:12 PM

@ deusvult.

So One can switch from one religion to another? Surely that is out of the frying pan into the fire?
     Reply #10 - May 06, 2010, 11:13 PM

I am a Spinozan Pantheist (hence the name). To be honest, it's just atheism under a different name.

But there are deists who are ex-muslims. Allah isn't the only version of a mnotheistic god.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. I only joined recently myself, but it's a great place.  Afro
     Reply #11 - May 06, 2010, 11:15 PM

@ deusvult.

So One can switch from one religion to another? Surely that is out of the frying pan into the fire?

I would maybe consider switching to some form of Buddhism. There are religions that do not require belief in a supernatural god.
     Reply #12 - May 06, 2010, 11:20 PM

As ex-Muslims, Why is our tribe having a go at everyone else? The main Abrahamic religions stem from the same 'maker'. Why do we have this shit?
    I was brought up in all 3 religions, and taught that all were right
     Reply #13 - May 06, 2010, 11:22 PM

As ex-Muslims, Why is our tribe having a go at everyone else? The main Abrahamic religions stem from the same 'maker'. Why do we have this shit?

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making, could you elaborate?
     Reply #14 - May 06, 2010, 11:22 PM

Why *have* to believe in anything?
     Reply #15 - May 06, 2010, 11:24 PM

I think I replied whilst you were also replying. Crossed wires and all that...
     Reply #16 - May 06, 2010, 11:27 PM

Lol, well I'm more confused than ever now. Tongue
     Reply #17 - May 06, 2010, 11:28 PM

LOl!

Ok, What made you become an ex-muslim?
     Reply #18 - May 06, 2010, 11:31 PM

What made you stop believing?
     Reply #19 - May 06, 2010, 11:31 PM

I think what he means is that "our tribe" (Ex-muslims)...why are we having a go at all the abrahamic faiths if we were immersed in them at one point.

It's either that or:

By our "tribe" He means the whole of humanity. Why are we all having a go at everyone else. After all , the Abrahamic religions have the same origins. He wants to know why everyone is saying they're all true. Why is that "Shit" being said?

I think the above might be right^

unfortunately, trying to decipher that took too much energy and brainpower, and seeing as I have a limited supply already, I'll let someone else handle that.  Afro

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #20 - May 06, 2010, 11:34 PM

What made you stop believing?

Hmm, now that's a story for another time.
     Reply #21 - May 06, 2010, 11:35 PM

But, in essence, it was the fact that I realised Allah was man-made.
     Reply #22 - May 06, 2010, 11:35 PM

sield, what's your first language?

Reply #23 - May 06, 2010, 11:42 PM

Glad you picked up on my phrase of "our tribe".

At last someone did.

My point is, and always has been, if we (anyone who was brought up to believe in a supernatural being) then decides that it's bullshit, but then swaps it for another is just as ignorant.

As ex Muslims, Christians, Jews or worshippers of the God Of The Volcano; it's all just as silly.

As a member of this group, I thought that I was with people who are Atheist. People who had been suffocated by their religion, as I was. Is this not the case?
     Reply #24 - May 06, 2010, 11:44 PM

Sield, when we say we're ex-Muslims you realize what we're saying is that we refuse to believe that Islam is the true religion? That means we don't believe Allah exists and that means Muhammad was a fake... I got a funny feeling you think an ex-Muslim is something else... like a non-practising Muslim. We're not those.

No, I understand this.
     Reply #25 - May 06, 2010, 11:46 PM

Glad you picked up on my phrase of "our tribe".

At last someone did.

My point is, and always has been, if we (anyone who was brought up to believe in a supernatural being) then decides that it's bullshit, but then swaps it for another is just as ignorant.

As ex Muslims, Christians, Jews or worshippers of the God Of The Volcano; it's all just as silly.

As a member of this group, I thought that I was with people who are Atheist. People who had been suffocated by their religion, as I was. Is this not the case?

It pretty much is. I doubt you would find many Jews or Christians on here, if at all. What unites the ex-Muslims on here, I think, is that we've all rejected the idea of a personal god. After that, Atheism, Deism or Pantheism make no difference to our lives.
     Reply #26 - May 06, 2010, 11:49 PM

Yes, we are atheist, sield. I think some people just want to be different and take up a more attractive title. Others, perhaps worried by your choice of words, think you're still hanging onto Islam by a thread and don't want to scare you away from atheism so they serve you a plate of shit instead of the cold truth  grin12

Reply #27 - May 06, 2010, 11:51 PM

Welcome! I'm agnostic.

It is not the way you live your life that is important, it is how well you enjoy it that matters.
     Reply #28 - May 06, 2010, 11:56 PM

Erm.. I you read my original post, you will have seen that I was asking why us ex-muslims don't call ourselves Atheist. It was Spinoza who said "not all ex-muslims are atheists" and went on to espouse Buddhism. I was saying, if all religion was bollocks, why leave Islam (or any other) and believe in other shite/
     Reply #29 - May 06, 2010, 11:57 PM

ninurta: why agnostic and not atheist?
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »