Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 07:07 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:54 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate

(Read 36616 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate
     Reply #60 - June 03, 2010, 06:49 PM

I keed

(its just cognitice dissonance)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #61 - June 03, 2010, 06:53 PM

I zoomed up the text and Islame called you a smelly asshole. No need to verify I'm a scientest remember?   cool2
     Reply #62 - June 03, 2010, 06:55 PM

islame and BD are two gayboys sittin in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #63 - June 03, 2010, 07:04 PM

Cheesy

Still.. Allah will burn you for haram joke.
     Reply #64 - June 03, 2010, 09:00 PM

in general i don't like the oft-repeated 'by natural processes over a very long period of time' line. some people use this line as if it's some sort of credible explanation able to explain anything and everything. it's just a lazy way of not exploring the problems at hand. instead of falling back on this line of thinking, we need to explore whether evolution can explain things in detail at the molecular level - why we're as inteligent as we are, why we like art and music, why we get emotional when we witness something beautiful etc. Why did these things evolve within us? How did these things evolve at the molecular level? what were the precise mutations involved? what order did the mutations come about?

When we can answer these sorts of questions, only then can we say that evolution is a complete theory that fully explains humans (although of course it still wouldn't explain how life first appeared on earth)

Salams Abu Yunus

As a scientist, which parts of evolutionary theory do you agree with? Molecular level evolution troubles you, as do other why/hows. So using your research science background, what can you accept?
     Reply #65 - June 03, 2010, 09:08 PM

in general i don't like the oft-repeated 'by natural processes over a very long period of time' line. some people use this line as if it's some sort of credible explanation able to explain anything and everything. it's just a lazy way of not exploring the problems at hand.

Well, either way, it's agreed that that's how evolution happened. You may be right in saying that it's not very satisfying to say that, as if the significant improbabilities involved in the evolution of something like humans were answered by doing so.

In any case, the specifics of long-term evolution are still debated. Some say it's down to punctuated equilibrium, others think differently. Either way, it's agreed that it takes a long time.

When we can answer these sorts of questions, only then can we say that evolution is a complete theory that fully explains humans (although of course it still wouldn't explain how life first appeared on earth)

Well of course. No-one's saying that all the questions are answered, far from it. It's an ongoing process and we probably have an incredible amount to learn about it, and there may well be some things that we'll never know. That's just the way it is.

But if you want to invoke something like intelligent design, then, just like with evolution, you'll need evidence to support the hypothesis. And of course, if ID is something that's happened, the driver behind such a process would likely be some kind of transcendent or supernatural being, which would make it pretty much outside the realm of empirical verification.

So, even if ID did happen, people probably wouldn't know it or be able to verify it. And thus far, instances of so-called 'irreducible complexity' invoked in support of ID have been unsatisfactory.

And of course, evolution can't and will never account for the origin of life. That, as you well know, is the field of abiogenesis.

Of course the whole statement is one of Dawkin's favourite lines. I however find it a bit of a cop-out. We can not make any intelligent statements about God or anything outside our Universe for that matter. We can not make any inteligent statements how such a complex being might have come about or whether He always existed or not - it's possible that He may have always existed and didn't need to be created - we can not rule out this possibility because as we have both already agreed we can not assume to know anything about God since it probably lies outside of human logic, any attempt to define anything about the nature of God, or how and why he exists is likely to be futile. What we can do is speak intelligently of the nature around us - humans are complex. The current theories of science say we came about solely because of evolution - therefore we need to explain our complexity in terms of evolution - if we can not we must accept that their are other factors at play.

Yes, exactly. And it is for this reason that it is largely futile to invoke a god of some kind as an explanatory hypothesis. We cannot verify the existence of such a thing, we cannot verify any instances in which it may have intervened in evolution or the development of life.

And so, we simply have to be content to look at the observable, physical evidence. It may well be that there are some things that we will never know, but as you yourself conceded, it is futile to bring into the equation a completely unverifiable entity. It is invoking an unexplained phenomenon in order to explain and unexplained phenomenon.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems as though you're suggesting that ID is a valid or even necessary hypothesis in order to explain the human being, and yet you then concede that such a transcendant being is completely without the scope of human understanding and observation, and so making it completely useless as an explanatory hypothesis.

If indeed 'God' did lend a hand in making us as complex as we are - it's no good asking 'well who created the even more complex God' - since we can not make any intelligent comments regarding whether God himself was created or not - we can not make any intelligent comments reagrding the nature of God and how and why he exists - it's outside the realm of science and human logic.

Ah, yes. It's just that it seemed to me as if you're implying that it's simply not possible for evolution and natural processes to have produced something as sophisticated as humans. I simply responded by saying that given the even more unlikely existence of a highly sophisticated and causeless designer, the designer hypothesis itself, as an explanation, is not a very good one.
     Reply #66 - June 03, 2010, 09:48 PM

some people use this line as if it's some sort of credible explanation able to explain anything and everything. it's just a lazy way of not exploring the problems at hand. instead of falling back on this line of thinking, we need to explore whether evolution can explain things in detail at the molecular level

On the contrary, it only says the over all process involved, the details are there to be discovered.  Unlike religion's explanation "Because Allah willed it" science actually encourages us to keep looking for explanations, such as when Bill Hamilton explained mathematically how altruism evolved, and sexual reproduction.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #67 - June 03, 2010, 10:00 PM

And of course, evolution can't and will never account for the origin of life. That, as you well know, is the field of abiogenesis.

Without wishing to steal your thunder, I think its a fine line as to whether you see evolution expaining genesis - for me I think it pretty much covers it.  

Looking at how Karl Sagan explains it, then I think we can see the whole process from beginning to finish.  I suppose it depends on your definition of "life" (out of interest whats yours AbuY?).  

For me it is when the protein first replicated, which for me was a random occurrence.  After that its all plain sailing.

It might be worth seeing this again (I never grow tired of watching it), see from 2:15 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl89HIJ6HDo&playnext_from=TL&videos=FG-jgpaKT2Q

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #68 - June 03, 2010, 10:47 PM

Without wishing to steal your thunder, I think its a fine line as to whether you see evolution expaining genesis - for me I think it pretty much covers it.  

Evolution may explain the development from the simplest forms of life to more sophisticated ones, but the actual forming of self-replicating 'living' organisms from non-living matter is abiogenesis, not evolution.

Evolution is natural selection and descent with modification. The development of pre-existing life and the origin of life itself are two different things.
     Reply #69 - June 03, 2010, 10:51 PM

By the way, interesting vid  Afro
     Reply #70 - June 03, 2010, 11:06 PM

Evolution may explain the development from the simplest forms of life to more sophisticated ones, but the actual forming of self-replicating 'living' organisms from non-living matter is abiogenesis, not evolution.

Evolution is natural selection and descent with modification. The development of pre-existing life and the origin of life itself are two different things.

Yes, but it depends on what you see as the defintion of life.  Evolution sees it as the point at which protein learned to replicate itself, and yes, thats where I see it and the point at which evolution takes over.  

However I am not sure if thats where religionists and some others see it.  The might see it as the point at which we can move, have a brain, breathe or even develop a conscience i.e. I am not sure if some of these lunkheads might not understand by life we are talking as far back as a self replicating protein which by all accounts is the most simple form of life, but they might see it that way.  

My point is that if they see the definition of life as being any later in the evolutionary chain, as I believe most religionists will, then for all accounts and purposes then evolution does take care of how life evolved.

However at this point they take a gazillion steps back and ask where space dust came from and I dont think this is even covered by abiogenesis, but by the Big Bang, which may also come back with a no answer (or an infinite one namely its always been around).

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #71 - June 04, 2010, 10:28 AM

Well, either way, it's agreed that that's how evolution happened. You may be right in saying that it's not very satisfying to say that, as if the significant improbabilities involved in the evolution of something like humans were answered by doing so.

In any case, the specifics of long-term evolution are still debated. Some say it's down to punctuated equilibrium, others think differently. Either way, it's agreed that it takes a long time.

Well of course. No-one's saying that all the questions are answered, far from it. It's an ongoing process and we probably have an incredible amount to learn about it, and there may well be some things that we'll never know. That's just the way it is.

But if you want to invoke something like intelligent design, then, just like with evolution, you'll need evidence to support the hypothesis. And of course, if ID is something that's happened, the driver behind such a process would likely be some kind of transcendent or supernatural being, which would make it pretty much outside the realm of empirical verification.

So, even if ID did happen, people probably wouldn't know it or be able to verify it. And thus far, instances of so-called 'irreducible complexity' invoked in support of ID have been unsatisfactory.

Yes, exactly. And it is for this reason that it is largely futile to invoke a god of some kind as an explanatory hypothesis. We cannot verify the existence of such a thing, we cannot verify any instances in which it may have intervened in evolution or the development of life.

And so, we simply have to be content to look at the observable, physical evidence. It may well be that there are some things that we will never know, but as you yourself conceded, it is futile to bring into the equation a completely unverifiable entity. It is invoking an unexplained phenomenon in order to explain and unexplained phenomenon.

I may be misunderstanding you, but it seems as though you're suggesting that ID is a valid or even necessary hypothesis in order to explain the human being, and yet you then concede that such a transcendant being is completely without the scope of human understanding and observation, and so making it completely useless as an explanatory hypothesis.

Ah, yes. It's just that it seemed to me as if you're implying that it's simply not possible for evolution and natural processes to have produced something as sophisticated as humans. I simply responded by saying that given the even more unlikely existence of a highly sophisticated and causeless designer, the designer hypothesis itself, as an explanation, is not a very good one.

Evolution of course did happen over millions of years. What I take issue with is, when some people (not you) just provide this as some sort of satisfactory answer in explaining the complexity of functional beings i.e. we know how evolution and natural selction work and given enough time it's possible for things to simply become complex - this sort of thing of course does not provide any real explanation for anything. We need to understand what happened at the molecular level for evolution to be considered a complete theory.

ID of course is not science - all I'm saying is that if evolution can not give detailed molecular descriptions of how complex traits evolved at the molecular level (the level at which it actually works) then we need to be open to the possibilty that other factors may have been involved. Of course if 'God' did play some direct role then there's no way of proving that one way or the other. I am simply asking questions from a scientific point of veiw.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "life" (out of interest whats yours AbuY?).  

Life is defined as Zebedee has explained above - all scientists explain it this way. I don't know any scientists today who say it is the way you are trying to describe it.

For me it is when the protein first replicated, which for me was a random occurrence.  After that its all plain sailing.

No offence dude, but this is a bit ridculous - no scientist takes it seriously - and neither should you. Even if you are defining life as when the first protein replicated, then it's ceratinly not 'all plain sailing' after that. Any one who works in the feild will tell you that's the silliest thing they've ever heard. In additon the self-replicated peptide paper (Lee et al. 1996) is not considered to be a realistic contribution to abiogenesis theories.

My advice would be to stop reading Richard Dawkins books and try and read the current literature.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #72 - June 04, 2010, 10:44 AM

Of course if 'God' did play some direct role then there's no way of proving that one way or the other. I am simply asking questions from a scientific point of veiw.

And of course people MUST ask questions, including the God question.  What I take objection to is when people claim to know the answer despite a lack of evidence to support it. I will believe in God the day I see evidence and not a day before.  I don't believe in anything else superstitious, I no longer make an exception for God.

Reply #73 - June 04, 2010, 10:55 AM

I never claimed to know the answer to anything here.

Reply #74 - June 04, 2010, 10:59 AM

I never claimed to know the answer to anything here.

No, you explicitly said the opposite, I was just venting about the "God did it" brigade.

As far as I can tell, you have no reason to believe in God or "Allah" Smiley

Reply #75 - June 04, 2010, 11:06 AM

On the contrary, it only says the over all process involved, the details are there to be discovered.  Unlike religion's explanation "Because Allah willed it" science actually encourages us to keep looking for explanations, such as when Bill Hamilton explained mathematically how altruism evolved, and sexual reproduction.

Bill Hamilton provided a theoretical model of how altruism and sexual reproduction may have evolved. He never gave a molecular account of how this was able to come about.

Reply #76 - June 04, 2010, 11:09 AM

You know if this God created things on a molecular level he/it/she let it evolve.

This does not strike me as the Abrahmic God. Who at least that's the picture I get from scripture would design it all the way to the end.

Another thing, you said that you think most theoretical physicists believe in a Creator God. Do you have a source for this? Quotes? Which physicists?
     Reply #77 - June 04, 2010, 11:20 AM

Bill Hamilton provided a theoretical model of how altruism and sexual reproduction may have evolved. He never gave a molecular account of how this was able to come about.

He demonstrated how it could be more successful.  Maybe one day you will explain it Smiley

The thing is, if some thing called God created altruism why not give it to all creatures? Or at least to all mammals?  Altruism in most cases is reserved for ones own species, which certainly helps with the hypothesis that it evolved naturally. 

Reply #78 - June 04, 2010, 11:24 AM

You know if this God created things on a molecular level he/it/she let it evolve.

This does not strike me as the Abrahmic God. Who at least that's the picture I get from scripture would design it all the way to the end.

well my version of the Abrahamic God is that He lets things evolve - he gave us our morality and let it evolve to its full potential at which point where we no longer need scripture

Another thing, you said that you think most theoretical physicists believe in a Creator God. Do you have a source for this? Quotes? Which physicists?

I didn't say most, I said a lot - I think IsLame gave a link in that thread. Also it's quite clear for example that Einstein beleived in a creator God (although he detested the idea of a personal God)  - although lots of people today try and claim he was an atheist/pantheist, lol. I sometimes hear physicists talk about a creator God on youtube videos. The only two religous ones I know of are Abdus Salam (Nobel prize winner in theoretical physics) and Sir John Polkinghorne (former Professor of Mathematical physics at Cambridge University)

Reply #79 - June 04, 2010, 11:29 AM

I didn't say most, I said a lot - I think IsLame gave a link in that thread. Also it's quite clear for example that Einstein beleived in a creator God (although he detested the idea of a personal God)  - although lots of people today try and claim he was an atheist/pantheist, lol. I sometimes hear physicists talk about a creator God on youtube videos. The only two religous ones I know of are Abdus Salam (Nobel prize winner in theoretical physics) and Sir John Polkinghorne (former Professor of Mathematical physics at Cambridge University)

I can see why people look at the intricacies of the universe and see a creator, however we have no evidence either way yet which is why we should continue to look.  But there's a BIG difference between "There is a creator" and "There is a creator, his name is Allah, he doesn't want me to eat pigs, he spoke to Muhammad, and the Quran is his word".  A BIG DIFFERENCE Smiley

Showing there is a god is currently impossible to start with, to then go on to say that we know its names and what it wants is in my opinion absurd.  I have no problem with deists (my wife is one), I do have a problem when people start to claim they know what it wants them to do, worse still what it wants ME to do, and ever worse still when these people claim that their beliefs should be taught to mentally vulnerable young people.

Reply #80 - June 04, 2010, 11:37 AM

I can see why people look at the intricacies of the universe and see a creator, however we have no evidence either way yet which is why we should continue to look.  But there's a BIG difference between "There is a creator" and "There is a creator, his name is Allah, he doesn't want me to eat pigs, he spoke to Muhammad, and the Quran is his word".  A BIG DIFFERENCE Smiley

Showing there is a god is currently impossible to start with, to then go on to say that we know its names and what it wants is in my opinion absurd.  I have no problem with deists (my wife is one), I do have a problem when people start to claim they know what it wants them to do, worse still what it wants ME to do.

I understand what you are saying completely. But then again I don't see why you should have a problem with people who choose to have faith in scripture/prophets on a personal level - surley it's up to these inviduals themselves what they want to believe (as long as they are not trying to impose their faith on anyone else)?

Reply #81 - June 04, 2010, 11:44 AM

I understand what you are saying completely. But then again I don't see why you should have a problem with people who choose to have faith in scripture/prophets on a personal level - surley it's up to these inviduals themselves what they want to believe (as long as they are not trying to impose their faith on anyone else)?

Generally I am not bothered by people who want to belief stuff without evidence (faith), I find it irrational but understandable as I have been there myself (although I am glad to be out of it.)  I have a good friend who is a Christian.  Typically though I find the best of religious people are the ones who reshape their religion to fit their own morals (like you do, and like my Christian friend does.)

But I would guess that just about every religious person who has children will indoctrinate them to their unfounded belief, this I disagree with completely.  Personal belief is never 100% personal, there is no such thing as personal belief.

Reply #82 - June 04, 2010, 11:47 AM

well my version of the Abrahamic God is that He lets things evolve - he gave us our morality and let it evolve to its full potential at which point where we no longer need scripture

Sorry Smiley Lots then.

Disagree on Einstein.

What's the difference between a creator God and a personal God?

Those are two names. As for the rest, I'm guessing you're assuming they believe in the model of God you believe in, basing it on what they're saying? They're not actually saying it straight out though. You're assuming?
     Reply #83 - June 04, 2010, 11:48 AM

well i don't plan on 'indoctrinating' my children with anything. they will learn about religion but also science and many other things - hopefully mainly football  Smiley. religion doesn't have to be something 'bad' that children are 'indocrtrinated with' - it can simply be something they learn about and then make their own choices.

Reply #84 - June 04, 2010, 11:52 AM

well i don't plan on 'indoctrinating' my children with anything. they will learn about religion but also science and many other things - hopefully mainly football  Smiley. religion doesn't have to be something 'bad' that children are 'indocrtrinated with' - it can simply be something they learn about and then make their own choices.

You will whether you know it or not.  I never knowingly indoctrinated my children, but only recently realised that when we lost our baby 5 years ago I told my children it had gone to heaven.  Even just knowing the YOU believe, or a family member they respect is enough to give the god hypothesis credibility it does not deserve.

Reply #85 - June 04, 2010, 11:55 AM

Disagree on Einstein.

It's just an unwarranted appeal to authority anyway, their opinions are worthless, only facts count.  Einstein also wrote the intro to a book which claimed plate tectonic theory was not possible; evidently he didn't know everything Smiley

Reply #86 - June 04, 2010, 11:59 AM

Sorry Smiley Lots then.

Disagree on Einstein.

What's the difference between a creator God and a personal God?

Those are two names. As for the rest, I'm guessing you're assuming they believe in the model of God you believe in, basing it on what they're saying? They're not actually saying it straight out though. You're assuming?

I'm sure you do disagree on Einstein - apparently his actual words were not clear and he meant 'something else' Smiley

The two names I gave were the ones I know of who beleive in religion (Islam and Christianity). There are many more who don't beieve in religion but appear to believe in a creator God.

Reply #87 - June 04, 2010, 12:00 PM

It's just an unwarranted appeal to authority anyway, their opinions are worthless, only facts count.  Einstein also wrote the intro to a book which claimed plate tectonic theory was not possible; evidently he didn't know everything Smiley

Oh no doubt. It helps when you are religious, well it did for me for a while and then I realized it’s a bad argument, a very emotional one.

But the point is that I think its disingenuous if Abu Yunus is assuming this but presenting it as a fact.
     Reply #88 - June 04, 2010, 12:01 PM

It's just an unwarranted appeal to authority anyway, their opinions are worthless, only facts count.  Einstein also wrote the intro to a book which claimed plate tectonic theory was not possible; evidently he didn't know everything Smiley

i agree, but there's no reason to call him an atheist/pantheist when he clearly wasn't

Reply #89 - June 04, 2010, 12:02 PM

Oh no doubt. It helps when you are religious, well it did for me for a while and then I realized it’s a bad argument, a very emotional one.

But the point is that I think its disingenuous if Abu Yunus is assuming this but presenting it as a fact.

well actually i've never really bought it up - i've only responded to questions about scientists who belived in a creator God or responded when people incorrectly state he was an atheist/pantheist

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »