Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What's happened to the fo...
Yesterday at 07:26 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 06:30 PM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
May 26, 2024, 04:18 PM

New Britain
May 26, 2024, 10:14 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 18, 2024, 03:04 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: CAT Steven alias Yussuf Islam

(Read 11812 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: CAT Steven alias Yussuf Islam
     Reply #30 - October 10, 2010, 06:41 PM

He'll never do it, but if he apostated, I think it would lead to a mass nervous breakdown amongst large swathes of Muslims in the UK.

I bet he's had doubts though, at least in the middle of the night sometimes.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #31 - October 10, 2010, 06:47 PM

Sad what Islam turned him into, but his work should stand on its own. Good music is good music. Hell, most of the greatest artists were assholes when it came to their personal life!

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    ~ Douglas Adams
     Reply #32 - October 10, 2010, 07:03 PM

q
     Reply #33 - October 10, 2010, 08:07 PM

My family and I were talking about this at dinner. My mom replied, "Wow, I didn't expect a whole history lesson of Cat Stevens. It's a shame he became weird and decided to live poor when he became a Muslim."

Is your grammar defective? Just askin'.

"The wound is the place where the Light enters you." - Rumi

Reply #34 - October 10, 2010, 08:36 PM

o
     Reply #35 - October 10, 2010, 08:46 PM

Tongue

Reply #36 - October 10, 2010, 11:02 PM

As noted before, nobody cares about the convictions of an ex-flower child whore of mullahs. Nevertheless before one lends credence to his vaunted religious moderation, it is vitally incumbent upon him to publically retract and apologise for swelling the ranks of clerical gangsters. This he will not do. Why?

May be you are right he won't apologise he may be just softening his image to be able to sale his music again... wacko

Read this all about him in 2009: MSinghK

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6725532.ece

His wife was born muslim so they won't leave, beside it is their livelihood.
    I have met so many convert married to born muslim men they have doubts but won't do anything in order to maintain the peace on the home front.

doghouse sheikh Muslimah

May be his son will fly away from the islamic nest and become outrageous  Punk
    this would be so much fun  Grin a kind of pay back time for what he had done to his family.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
    George Carlin
     Reply #37 - October 10, 2010, 11:22 PM

Wow, he seems whipped. =\

Reply #38 - October 10, 2010, 11:36 PM

Everything in Islam is taken out of context.

They just discovered a new surah in which it is described as the sixth pillar.

*Shahadah
    *Salat
    *Zakat
    *Sawm
    *Hajj
    *Outofcontext

Cheesy Awesomesauce.

Mind you, having debated quite a few Christians I can tell you that "Thou shalt not take shit out of (my) context" seems to be the Twelfth Commandment.

For those who didn't know, "Thou shalt not get caught" has long been recognised as the Eleventh Commandment. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #39 - October 10, 2010, 11:39 PM

He'll never do it, but if he apostated, I think it would lead to a mass nervous breakdown amongst large swathes of Muslims in the UK.

I bet he's had doubts though, at least in the middle of the night sometimes.

Yes he must have doubts when he carresses his guitar but the wife is watching I think if he was to leave Islam many converts would follow when one converts to Islam he is the first name one hears.  cool2

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
    George Carlin
  • CAT Steven alias Yussuf Islam
     Reply #40 - April 26, 2014, 07:05 PM

Bumping this since I had one of his songs in my head today. I figure at the very least, the man has to have his doubts. At the most, he might lurk the forum from time to time.

Yusuf, if you are reading this, I'd love to have you here. I grew up on your music, both your pre and post conversion works. You are one of the greats. I'll love your work either way, but you joining us would be like a reverse and way more awesome version of Umar joining Islam. There is no reason to trap yourself to the decisions of a curious and idealistic musician of the 70's. As you said in your song, Yusuf, you were young.
     Reply #41 - April 26, 2014, 07:17 PM

^

You listen to his music? 

I dunno even if he makes great music I just couldn't listen to it if I didn't like the artist behind it. He did support the death fatwa against salman rushdie.....

it's the same reason I don't listen to mos def the rapper. he might be a good rapper but i coudn't listen to his music since I don't like him as a person.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #42 - April 26, 2014, 07:24 PM

His stuff as Cat Stevens was gold. I listened to his Islamic stuff when I was a Muslim and as far as Islamic songs go, they were some of the higher quality options. Perhaps it's the nostalgia speaking, but I have to hope he's mellowed his views to the point of at least mulling over apostasy. Whether he'd actually ever do it publicly or not is a different issue.
     Reply #43 - April 26, 2014, 07:28 PM

he made great music, beautiful music. To see that snuffed out for a religion, what can you say about the Islam he was apprehended by

From this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzplmeMMB84

to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oienjf0GK8

God is Love.

Reply #44 - April 26, 2014, 07:29 PM

His stuff as Cat Stevens was gold. I listened to his Islamic stuff when I was a Muslim and as far as Islamic songs go, they were some of the higher quality options. Perhaps it's the nostalgia speaking, but I have to hope he's mellowed his views to the point of at least mulling over apostasy. Whether he'd actually ever do it publicly or not is a different issue.

I don't think he will apostate, but one day a major, high profile convert to Islam is going to leave Islam publically, its inevitable

God is Love.

Reply #45 - April 26, 2014, 07:33 PM

He is a model of what Islam can do to something beautiful, tender and unique. One of the greatest singer-songwriters this country has ever produced, converted to Islam, and utterly destroyed what he used to be, and his natural, innate, special talent, for the sake of Islam. A common story - Islam makes these demands. Destroy what makes a human a human, his individuality and uniqueness, in order to purge him of his prior Muslim self. He has chilled out since. But this initial stage of his conversion is a horror story.

This
     Reply #46 - April 26, 2014, 07:42 PM

We used to sing this when I was younger. The Afghan "Mujahideen" were made to seem like super heroes.

Afghanistan - Yusuf Islam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_PHnl5sbH8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
     Reply #47 - April 26, 2014, 07:48 PM

Somehow they left out the part out with halal butchering of Soviet conscripts.

Not a defender of the communist regime nor the Soviet invasion there, by the way. It was a mess.

And it still is.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #48 - April 26, 2014, 11:46 PM

^

You listen to his music? 

I dunno even if he makes great music I just couldn't listen to it if I didn't like the artist behind it. He did support the death fatwa against salman rushdie.....

it's the same reason I don't listen to mos def the rapper. he might be a good rapper but i coudn't listen to his music since I don't like him as a person.

One of the 20th century's great philosophers was a Nazi. Another had sympathy for the Romanian Iron Guards.

It's about being selective.
     Reply #49 - April 26, 2014, 11:54 PM

RE: Yusuf Islam. Was an obnoxious hippy in the 60s and 70s, and is now an obnoxious spiritualist.

Why am I not surprised?
     Reply #50 - April 27, 2014, 12:25 AM

I think it is quite clear that Yusuf  aka Cat Stevens have had/has major doubts about Islam. Maybe he is an under cover murtad. Most probably leaving Islam is waaaay to hard for him so he just shoved those uncomfortable doubts at the side and became more liberal and "cultutal Muslim" in order to have a somewhat normal life. As you all said, it would be extremely hard for a person like Yusuf to just leave Islam, not everyone are ready for that sacrifice.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #51 - April 27, 2014, 12:34 AM

I think it is quite clear that Yusuf  aka Cat Stevens have had/has major doubts about Islam. Maybe he is an under cover murtad. Most probably leaving Islam is waaaay to hard for him so he just shoved those uncomfortable doubts at the side and became more liberal and "cultutal Muslim" in order to have a somewhat normal life. As you all said, it would be extremely hard for a person like Yusuf to just leave Islam, not everyone are ready for that sacrifice.

I disagree. He won't become a murtad precisely because the idea of doubt is antithetical to his weltanschauung. Or let us put it this way: even if he did entertain doubts, they would amount to nothing because islam is a reactive nihilism for him, not something that was inculcated into him as praxis
     Reply #52 - April 27, 2014, 12:36 AM

As you all said, it would be extremely hard for a person like Yusuf to just leave Islam, not everyone are ready for that sacrifice.

What sacrifice ?  

The guy's 65 yrs old, the best years of his life have already passed him by. He doesn't have much to lose by coming out.

Reply #53 - April 27, 2014, 12:46 AM

What I meant was that it's risky to leave Islam as a "famous" Muslim, with all the attention and nutters out there to put a murtad to silence. And he has family and friend and everything based on Islam. Ahh typing from my phne, no patience to make long sentences. You get my point (?). Anyway, I believe he is just a half assed liberal Muslim because he doesn't want to face the doubts he has/have had, and just tries to continue living like a normal person post-Islamism or however you want to call the over zealous purist time period most "born again" Muslims go through.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #54 - April 27, 2014, 12:54 AM

Yes, all those friendships and family are based on an extremely life-negating force.

I'm slightly scornful of the manb, if I'm being honest.

This sort of islam is the enfant terrible of the 60s counterculture. Thank heavens for punk otherwise we'd be subjected to yet more inane hippy twaddle from yet more inane lapdogs of hideously grotesque western bourgeois cultural appropriation.
     Reply #55 - April 27, 2014, 01:39 AM

RE: Yusuf Islam. Was an obnoxious hippy in the 60s and 70s, and is now an obnoxious spiritualist.

Why am I not surprised?

this theory again. Non muslim thugs turn into Muslim thugs, non Muslim hippies turn into Muslim hippies (Hamza Yusuf?).

Islam caters to everyone, come one come all!

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #56 - April 29, 2014, 03:55 PM

After listening to a couple of cat stevens songs, I like them.

I'll download his albums.  I like this shit .  cool2

Reply #57 - April 29, 2014, 03:58 PM

Cheesy Told ya.  Afro
     Reply #58 - April 29, 2014, 04:08 PM

this theory again. Non muslim thugs turn into Muslim thugs, non Muslim hippies turn into Muslim hippies (Hamza Yusuf?).

Islam caters to everyone, come one come all!

Ooops there is a statement in that post.. let me rewrite it..

"Islam transforms non-Muslim thugs  into Muslim thugs and non-Muslim hippies into Muslim hippies " .. .... Jila

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #59 - April 29, 2014, 06:27 PM

Yup, I vaguely remember as a convert in training, getting a booklet on this 'celebrity muslim'. The information was on various convert background stories and there was a special section dedicated to 'The Cat'. It included the whole 'drowning story' and how the soon to be Yusif trowed himself on God's mercy . . . and God was merciful and the rest as they say is history.

Bumping this since I had one of his songs in my head today. I figure at the very least, the man has to have his doubts. At the most, he might lurk the forum from time to time.

Yusuf, if you are reading this, I'd love to have you here. I grew up on your music, both your pre and post conversion works. You are one of the greats. I'll love your work either way, but you joining us would be like a reverse and way more awesome version of Umar joining Islam. There is no reason to trap yourself to the decisions of a curious and idealistic musician of the 70's. As you said in your song, Yusuf, you were young.

^
    Good luck with that.
    Still who knows if the brother is a lurker, maybe he's on EX-M-NA, could be no harm to put a shout out to him there that is if someone hasn't already. Actually can you imagine if he did revert, it would cause such a sh*t storm in the muslim world and these ex-mussie forums would be blamed and even further veiwed as the tool of Shatan.  Cheesy
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »