Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 20, 2024, 04:09 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Eid

(Read 4481 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Eid
     OP - August 19, 2011, 06:39 AM

For a number of years, the only time I actually prayed with any amount of sincerity was during the Eid prayers - my family makes a big  dance over it, everyone takes the day off and we all dress in our finest and head over to the ever increasing larger spaces to pray with all the Muslims in our community and then go spend the day together doing family activities.  For the past 2 or 3 Eids, I've made excuses as to why I don't attend, but this also meant missing out on spending a really fun day with my family.  For this Eid, my sister bought me an outfit, I'm in between projects...basically, I have no excuses....and I have no intention of missing out on a lovely day with the entire family.  I can either  lipsrsealed and go to keep the peace or be like  cool2 nope, not going and will come across a lot of  finmad.  I'm not really good at the cool2, have little defense against  finmad but  lipsrsealed is no longer as acceptable as it once was.
  • Re: Eid
     Reply #1 - August 19, 2011, 06:49 AM

It took me ages to decipher all the smilies and their context, but I think I managed to understand your post.

On a serious note, why not just go in your fancy clothes, eat a truck load of food and spend good time with your family? Sounds like a perfect excuse to have fun.

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #2 - August 19, 2011, 07:03 AM

Hmm wondering whether I should attend Eid too. I would feel like such a goddamn hypocrite if I went, since I haven't done anything religious or Ramadany this whole month, and I don't plan on lying about it...

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - August 19, 2011, 07:51 AM

It took me ages to decipher all the smilies and their context, but I think I managed to understand your post.

On a serious note, why not just go in your fancy clothes, eat a truck load of food and spend good time with your family? Sounds like a perfect excuse to have fun.

Eid happens to be my favourite days, because

1.My parents and my siblings are all going to this dead hometown of ours,so it will be only me in the house with a car

2.Money(whether i like it or not, its gonna be in my pocket)

3. I will be going to the club.

dance

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #4 - August 19, 2011, 07:57 AM

I'm wondering if I'm gonna go this year too....

I might have my period then, so I can always use that excuse. But like, my dad is coming here on visit and it's a huge deal to him so he likely won't care what excuse I have and still want us all to attend together..

Butttt, I don't want to be present among the masses and support something I don't believe in. Fuck, at least the prayer is only 2 rakaas whether I'll be praying or not Tongue

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #5 - August 19, 2011, 07:59 AM

I shall be doing nada as usual.

I would feel too fake going to celebrate eid with my family.

Anyway, I have loads of other things to celebrate that are just as heartwarming as eid used to once be for me.  Like my friends birthday.  That is going to be a whole lot more fun than faking my way through eid.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - August 19, 2011, 08:00 AM

I'm wondering if I'm gonna go this year too....

I might have my period then, so I can always use that excuse. But like, my dad is coming here on visit and it's a huge deal to him so he likely won't care what excuse I have and still want us all to attend together..

Butttt, I don't want to be present among the masses and support something I don't believe in. Fuck, at least the prayer is only 2 rakaas whether I'll be praying or not Tongue

How does your period work as an excuse on eid?  its the one time of year you are actually not forbidden from going to the mosque, and are encouraged to go.   wacko

Reply #7 - August 19, 2011, 04:46 PM

^ if you have your period, you can't pray...you just in the sidelines and watch everyone else do some light aerobics.

Butttt, I don't want to be present among the masses and support something I don't believe in.

exactly.
     Reply #8 - August 19, 2011, 04:54 PM

ummm, I didn't make a big deal out of Eid last year, which was surprising seeing as I was a closet apostate last year, and it seems I won't make a big deal this year either. Yeah my family will be rejoicing and all that, and I love seeing them happy, but I can't be bothered to do all the dress up and meeting family and shit.. Roll Eyes 

Apparently my family are planning to go to the cinemas this Eid, which is a big deal cause we never go anywhere, seeing as we host Eid at our place with like a 100+ guests every single frikkin' Eid.
     Reply #9 - August 19, 2011, 04:56 PM

Eid is the only Islamic thing I still do. I even go to the prayers to make my dad happy. It's a good time for eats and meeting up with the bengali community and it's not really uber-religious in nature.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #10 - August 19, 2011, 05:08 PM

Btw, I love you usage of smilies.  Cheesy

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #11 - August 20, 2011, 01:30 AM

Eid is the only Islamic thing I still do. I even go to the prayers to make my dad happy. It's a good time for eats and meeting up with the bengali community and it's not really uber-religious in nature.

See this is the way I would feel too, and if I don't talk to anyone about it then they wouldn't even suspect that I haven't fasted once or prayed during the whole month. But if they do ask me a religious oriented question, then what? Just stare at their crotch as if they had some sort of hideous deformity?

I just can't get around the idea of having to lie about my religious beliefs or be a hypocrite and attend a religious ritual of a religion I don't belong to.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #12 - August 20, 2011, 01:43 AM

The way I see it people celebrate christmas that have no clue who christ is...Eid is just a celebration...with less religious purpose than christmas. Especially this Eid, Its only really about the end of ramadan and who cant celebrate the end of pointless fasting? :p

I got lucky. My first day of classes will be on Eid so I cannot skip those. Cheesy

I wish parents everywhere could remove their veil of religion and see their kids for whom they actually are.
     Reply #13 - August 20, 2011, 03:47 AM

i hate eid. call me the grinch. especially in canada. eid sucks. all you do is eat sugar and corn syrup basically. oh and listen to desi uncles talk for hours and hours. nauseating.
     and don't even get me started on the parking situation and the suffocating crowds at eid prayer. it's like a fucking mosh pit. i feel sorry for claustrophobic muslims.

gonna hate it this year too. fucking nuts.
     Reply #14 - August 20, 2011, 09:17 AM

Yeah it's not uber religious because they already spent one whole fucking month being uber religious and most are tired to death of practicing religion by that time  Cheesy Cheesy

They just eat.
    during the daylight!
    dance

Reply #15 - August 20, 2011, 09:21 AM

i hate eid. call me the grinch. especially in canada. eid sucks. all you do is eat sugar and corn syrup basically. oh and listen to desi uncles talk for hours and hours. nauseating.
     and don't even get me started on the parking situation and the suffocating crowds at eid prayer. it's like a fucking mosh pit. i feel sorry for claustrophobic muslims.

mosh pit  Cheesy

Yeah.. I hate:
    -crowds
    -getting dressed up  Roll Eyes
    -wearing hijab (even though i half wear it because i dont give many fucks, then take it completely off immediately after  Cheesy probably brings shame to my dad in front of all these other beardy dudes and pious people but he knows he can't say anything  Tongue)
    -wasting time

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try to get out of it.

Reply #16 - August 20, 2011, 09:24 AM

How does your period work as an excuse on eid?  its the one time of year you are actually not forbidden from going to the mosque, and are encouraged to go.   wacko

I didn't know that! Makes sense though lol.

Well, Eid doesn't necessarily take place at a mosque  Wink We usually go to some big arena center place.  Tongue These past few years anyway.

Reply #17 - August 20, 2011, 09:47 AM

I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Eid. Islam has robbed us of our childhood and our dating abilities (cf. relevant thread), the least it can expect us to do is to rejoice on a friggin day of festivities! Much in the same way secular Jews might celebrate Hanukkah without quite believing all the religious nonsense, as atheistic members of a Muslim community we have every right to participate in Eid, if we want to. To me, Eid al Fitr is a celebration of the little good things in life.

Eid al Adha is a completely different story, though. Even as a Muslim, I hated it. It's a barbaric day of killing and slaughtering and I wish to take no part in that bullshit.

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #18 - August 20, 2011, 10:07 AM

We'll Skype the relatives overseas; so much easier than the days when we had to phone and talk to them all one by one lol.
    I'll get asked the usual questions about whether I have cooked all the obligatory Eid delicacies and goodies to which I shall answer with a whopping great lie, not because I object to doing it, but because none of us really need the extra calories!

Then there'll be a lot of chit chat and we'll end by all asking each other forgiveness for things past. This used to really bug me because I believe forgiveness is something you have to earn and its not something you can just win by the utterance of a few words at a particularly religious time of year. But now I don't worry about it too much and it is a positive anyway.

Christmas is pretty much the same with my family; we all wish each other "Happy Christmas" and it sounds equally hollow and nonsensical.
     Reply #19 - August 22, 2011, 06:44 PM

It's a barbaric day of killing and slaughtering and I wish to take no part in that bullshit.

I've never minded that. Speaking as a carnivore, it doesn't really differ from animals slaughtered en mass and then sent to my locals grocers in a neat little package.
     Reply #20 - August 22, 2011, 10:22 PM

But if they do ask me a religious oriented question, then what? Just stare at their crotch as if they had some sort of hideous deformity?

I just can't get around the idea of having to lie about my religious beliefs or be a hypocrite and attend a religious ritual of a religion I don't belong to.

In my entire life of doing Eid, both while I was muslim and after I dumped Islam, I never once recall a serious religious question or discussion at all. You might get a person go "oh, how did your fasting go" but you can just go "good" and fuck off. But if someone does ask a serious religious question I'm perfectly honest with them. In fact, most know I'm an atheist by now.

If you really do have to lie and pretend then, yeah, that does suck.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #21 - August 23, 2011, 12:27 AM

It's a barbaric day of killing and slaughtering and I wish to take no part in that bullshit.

Yea.  I still remember my parents forcing me to watch the killing on the roof in morroco.  I had to walk bare foot through the blood because my dad made me, and I can still remember how thick it was and how much I cried and begged him not to make me Roll Eyes.  Big family, LOADS of chickens, a cow and sheep being killed up there.

I had to help clean the entrails, plait them for food.  No chopping, the men did that.  and then washing the fleeces down the at the sea.

Was one of my more vile memories from childhood.

Reply #22 - August 23, 2011, 12:30 AM

So how many Londoners know a few ramadan muslims who are not going to be fasting on sunday and monday because it's the carnival?  Cheesy

I do.

These idiots have fasted and prayed for ramadan only but are prepared to blow it all for alcohol, drugs and dancing on the streets for pure haram business over the weekend.

Hypocrites crack me up.  Cheesy

Eid is next week but this kind of haram only comes around once a year in London.

Got to ask yourself though, how to they weigh it up in their head?  if shaitan is locked up, from where does their desire to commit sin come from?

Eeeeejits. 

Reply #23 - August 23, 2011, 12:53 AM

I don't think my mother has gone to eid prayers in 15 years loool (maybe more than that) and we don't do much during eid so its gonna be any other day , I don't bother fasting anymore either but I don't mind visiting relatives and getting free food Wink

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #24 - August 23, 2011, 08:16 AM

I'm away at college now by myself, so I don't have to worry about attending Eid prayers. I'll probably just call my father and wish him an Eid Mubarak. He's a nice guy.

The only problem I see is when my parents come up for graduation and my dad wants to go to the masjid and people will say they have never seen me before.  Cheesy
     Reply #25 - August 24, 2011, 03:16 AM

Same, but to make my mom happy. Its pretty good for food and meeting up people too. Good thing i am away from home so I dont have to fast  Smiley just will show up at home for the Eid weekend.  Smiley

O i feel u there my brother in non Islam. All the super holy Muslims will be breaking parking laws and parking everywhere. and just like good muslims they will not allow anyone to cut in front of them when leaving the parking lot. all the mosques will be full of douche bag young muslim men with their shitty 2nd hand sports cars. Some super fine chicks too  Wink

dont forget the babbling mullah at the mosque who will beg for money for an hour before staring the damn prayer.

r u in the gta ? cuz its bad in the gta man.

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #26 - August 24, 2011, 04:04 AM

Yeah, I'm taking a few days off this next week to be with family for eid. Though now that you mention it I am dreading the clusterfuck of brown humanity that will be the eid prayers. The parking and rudeness will be a nightmare. Wondering if I can skip out of the prayer and just focus on eating.

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #27 - August 24, 2011, 04:13 AM

Same, but to make my mom happy. Its pretty good for food and meeting up people too. Good thing i am away from home so I dont have to fast  Smiley just will show up at home for the Eid weekend.  Smiley

O i feel u there my brother in non Islam. All the super holy Muslims will be breaking parking laws and parking everywhere. and just like good muslims they will not allow anyone to cut in front of them when leaving the parking lot. all the mosques will be full of douche bag young muslim men with their shitty 2nd hand sports cars. Some super fine chicks too  Wink

dont forget the babbling mullah at the mosque who will beg for money for an hour before staring the damn prayer.

r u in the gta ? cuz its bad in the gta man.

yeah man im in the gta. im just glad  i don't pray with the aunties. bitches made my wife cry twice. they actually yelled at her for showing too much forearm. can you believe that? everyone brings their relatives with mental and psychological conditions into the mosque. AND THE CRYING SCREAMING CHILDREN! the wonderful muslim parents just let them loose.. running around like a bunch of pinballs. oh lord! why can't god shut them up.

Yeah, I'm taking a few days off this next week to be with family for eid. Though now that you mention it I am dreading the clusterfuck of brown humanity that will be the eid prayers. The parking and rudeness will be a nightmare. Wondering if I can skip out of the prayer and just focus on eating.

i even hate the eating. so much sugar. they force-feed it to you. they insist and make not-eating awkward. aunties literally get offended if you don't eat. they put food in your plate even if you don't want it. they assume that if you say you don't want to eat you're just trying to be overly polite. they have nothing better to talk about so they talk about how you should eat more.

by the time the day is done i have so much sugar in my system that i feel like there are flesh-eating ants crawling all over my intestines all the way down to my anu... TMI. i'll stop.
     Reply #28 - August 24, 2011, 04:18 AM

Hahhaha, yeah that is true. It sure ain't healthy. But I don't shy away from from telling the 'aunties' to stfu and leave me alone. So lots of them have already been offended and don't really care to see me, so I only have to go to the few normal desis homes. lol

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #29 - August 24, 2011, 07:40 AM

^ I like your style JC Afro

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »