Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 02:11 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 15, 2024, 08:55 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: on the edge..

(Read 9897 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: on the edge..
     Reply #30 - December 29, 2011, 10:01 PM

oh, what an awesome brother he is!  WOW!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #31 - December 29, 2011, 10:05 PM

I had written a bit but then read your brother's very insightful and mature letter - I think you've got the best advice right there. You are so fortunate to have a wonderful sibling  Afro

Reply #32 - December 29, 2011, 10:10 PM

And of course, one you're in a hotel in another city you can always fill teh jacuzzi with mango juice and have an orgy. dance

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #33 - December 29, 2011, 10:43 PM

Um culturally death sentences are unacceptable - look up the UNCHR.  Just because many nations still do it is irrelevant.

Similarly, it is unacceptable for an adult to use emotional blackmail on another.  Hiding behind their alleged cultural norms is wrong.

Strange arguments being used.  It is almost as if other options are not known to exist - like the culture changing.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #34 - December 29, 2011, 10:50 PM

Is your brother a university professor by any chance? His writing sounds like the writing of someone I know.

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #35 - December 29, 2011, 10:54 PM

Holy crap, my brother sent me this last night...

He pretty much wrote a fucking essay about his views on my situation, but this is why I love him <3

Wow, didn't get a chance to read it all yet. Is your brother single and is he Muslim/Ex-Muslim?
     Reply #36 - December 29, 2011, 11:21 PM

My little brother is 18 years old and used to be a devout muslim, but no longer seems to be... he must have finally realized he is too smart for that BS  Smiley

Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius,
    et quod est superius est sicut quod est inferius,
    ad perpetranda miracula rei unius.
     Reply #37 - December 29, 2011, 11:24 PM

If you care about your parents acceptance, then following your brothers advice may be the better option. Although, it isn't to say that even if you do decide to fly over, they wont ever accept you. It will be a slower acceptance, however there is no guarantee that your brothers advice will work anyway.

My parents pretended they'd come to accept my decisions, but when push came to shove, it was too much for them. I don't know what your parents are like Hanani, but if you strongly feel they will accept your decisions then take whatever path will make this work.
     Reply #38 - December 29, 2011, 11:24 PM

My little brother is 18 years old and used to be a devout muslim, but no longer seems to be... he must have finally realized he is too smart for that BS  Smiley

Have you asked him what his views are?
     Reply #39 - December 29, 2011, 11:46 PM

Well that's good. But he's too young for my sister who plans to get an arranged marriage to some random FOB. 015
     Reply #40 - December 30, 2011, 05:27 AM

I just came back from family dinner and my uncle's were drinking, and my cousin had brought his girlfriend....

and me going to visit the man i intend to marry is wrong.

What i cannot stand about this culture, is the hypocrisy. A friend of mine went on a trip with her future husband before they were married but asked me to keep it hush hush as its not seen as "proper" .. her parents knew all about it.

People will do whatever it is they want to do, but they'll hide behind a false veil of righteousness because everyone is just SO afraid of being judged.

What kind of messed up way to live is that? I do what i believe is right but at least I am honest about it. I don't pretend to believe one thing and secretly do the opposite, I have a better sense of self respect and morality than that.

It literally makes me SICK to see how much pain I have to endure because I actually care about my parents feelings, yet they will gladly turn the other way when others do the same.

Reply #41 - December 30, 2011, 05:32 AM

Hey you could try reverse psychology. Tell them you want to have rampaging public orgies with fifteen blokes at once. Be really convincing. After that, they'll be kinda meh if all you do is visit your bf. Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #42 - December 30, 2011, 05:47 AM

I just came back from family dinner and my uncle's were drinking, and my cousin had brought his girlfriend....

and me going to visit the man i intend to marry is wrong.

What i cannot stand about this culture, is the hypocrisy. A friend of mine went on a trip with her future husband before they were married but asked me to keep it hush hush as its not seen as "proper" .. her parents knew all about it.

People will do whatever it is they want to do, but they'll hide behind a false veil of righteousness because everyone is just SO afraid of being judged.

What kind of messed up way to live is that? I do what i believe is right but at least I am honest about it. I don't pretend to believe one thing and secretly do the opposite, I have a better sense of self respect and morality than that.

It literally makes me SICK to see how much pain I have to endure because I actually care about my parents feelings, yet they will gladly turn the other way when others do the same.

WTF? This blows... The unfortunate part is that the guys can get away with the "bad stuff" but they won't give girls that freedom.

Reply #43 - December 30, 2011, 11:09 AM

Sometimes, you have to be the first to push the boundaries, as hurtful as it may be. Your brother might have some nice points, but he just wants to you to take an easier route. I'll add to his scenario as he missed the pitfalls of the third choice (the one he'd rather you make).

3) You be a hypocrite. You lie about who you are on the surface so your family may be deemed as 'acceptable' within the community and keep their respect. You make choices that honour your family to a certain extent, giving into their blackmail, but you get to marry your other half at least so it's not all bad.

This may seem to hurt the least amount of people, but in reality this decision will carry many repercussions. You have given into emotional blackmail, this may encourage your parents to try similar tactics in the future on you as you've already fallen for it. You have allowed an outdated culture to rule over a persons desires once again, preventing it from moving on. Any other relatives in your family who were hoping to break out of the same cultural boundaries you are may be discouraged. You allow a misogynist culture to win, encouraging it to carry on and for your parents to continue treating you like so.

The worst may not even be over for you. Come the wedding day, they will do whatever they can to keep their respect whilst allowing their daughter to marry a white man.

I don't want to make your decision harder. Just want to show you that your brother may have oversimplified your situation, albeit having good intentions.
     Reply #44 - December 30, 2011, 01:57 PM

I'm with Os, don't back down.

They know that emotional blackmail works on you, they must do since you are actually trying to find a way NOT to do this anymore, you are considering compromising when really you shouldn't have to.

Everything they said is what they say now, if you go and see your boyfriend, they will eventually get over it, believe me they will. 

They sound alright, reasonable even.  The whole emotional blackmail is nowhere near as bad as the physical danger some parents might feel they have to inflict if their daughter was to express the desires you are expressing now.

If all they can do is display a 'disappointment' that really they will get over pretty quickly, then I reckon you should stick to your guns and go see your boyfriend.

I know its not easy being the one that hurts people, but you are not hurting them as much as they are dramatising it.  go for it.  and good luck.

And since you know you cannot see yourself,
    so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
    will modestly discover to yourself,
    that of yourself which you yet know not of.
     Reply #45 - December 31, 2011, 12:25 AM

Sometimes, you have to be the first to push the boundaries, as hurtful as it may be. Your brother might have some nice points, but he just wants to you to take an easier route. I'll add to his scenario as he missed the pitfalls of the third choice (the one he'd rather you make).

3) You be a hypocrite. You lie about who you are on the surface so your family may be deemed as 'acceptable' within the community and keep their respect. You make choices that honour your family to a certain extent, giving into their blackmail, but you get to marry your other half at least so it's not all bad.

This may seem to hurt the least amount of people, but in reality this decision will carry many repercussions. You have given into emotional blackmail, this may encourage your parents to try similar tactics in the future on you as you've already fallen for it. You have allowed an outdated culture to rule over a persons desires once again, preventing it from moving on. Any other relatives in your family who were hoping to break out of the same cultural boundaries you are may be discouraged. You allow a misogynist culture to win, encouraging it to carry on and for your parents to continue treating you like so.

The worst may not even be over for you. Come the wedding day, they will do whatever they can to keep their respect whilst allowing their daughter to marry a white man.

I don't want to make your decision harder. Just want to show you that your brother may have oversimplified your situation, albeit having good intentions.

Hi Peruv, I've thought about that a lot myself... and for those reasons I am still going to hop on that plane tomorrow morning. I realize that my brother just wants to keep the peace, and have the least people hurt as much possible, but its only through the pain that any true change will come. I am just very grateful to have such a supportive and smart and well intentioned brother.

My parents haven't really been talking to me these past couple of days but I am being as good and civil as I can with them. I will never stop treating them with respect no matter how upset with me that may get. I will always try my best to uphold the morals that I truly believe in.

Reply #46 - December 31, 2011, 03:16 AM

I will always try my best to uphold the morals that I truly believe in.

That's all you really can do in the end.  Smiley  Good luck.  I really hope your parents can learn to live with the strong thoughtful and independent daughter that they helped to raise and should feel proud of. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #47 - December 31, 2011, 03:16 AM

And since you know you cannot see yourself,
    so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
    will modestly discover to yourself,
    that of yourself which you yet know not of.

Lol whilst this is awesome, its soooo off topic.  Grin

Reply #48 - December 31, 2011, 07:12 AM

My dad just threatened to kick everyone out of the house... he keeps insulting my beliefs, calling them a stubborn act of rebellion, insulting my relationship saying i'm just going to have sex like a moral-less animal... i can't believe he could say such hurtful things, saying whats the point of having kids when all they do is disobey you, he should tell all of my brothers to go fend for themselves once they're 18, why go through shit for them everyday...   

Reply #49 - December 31, 2011, 07:17 AM

part of me wants to cower in the corner of my room and never leave... i want give everything up. He keeps saying my leaving will destroy this family. i don't know what to do anymore. I hope he's proud of himself... having to use threats to keep us from living... i don't know how i can forgive him.

Reply #50 - December 31, 2011, 07:58 AM

Not specifically related to your situation, but in my opinion a powerful mind tool to take control of problematic social interactions, or at least a tool to make you more informed and aware of your own participation in them, perhaps breaking the habits you've formed.

Transactional Analysis

Part 1: Ego States & Basic Interactions
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKNyFSLJy6o

Part 2: Games
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqJ4sc9TAc

Part 3: Gimmicks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58F2qYyAzME

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #51 - December 31, 2011, 09:39 AM

part of me wants to cower in the corner of my room and never leave... i want give everything up. He keeps saying my leaving will destroy this family. i don't know what to do anymore. I hope he's proud of himself... having to use threats to keep us from living... i don't know how i can forgive him.

He is ranting words that hold no power.  He will get over it.  He won't talk to you for awhile, but he will ulimately move beyond this and he won't kick your siblings out, that is just words.

Don't back down, don't cower in a corner otherwise you have taken these first steps of drama for nothing.  Make this count and go and be with your boyfriend.

I know you don't want to disappoint them, you don't want to hurt them but whether you do this now or later, the same drama will happen.  I say do it now, so that when things start speeding towards that super serious place with your boyfriend, the drama is pretty much deal with already.

Reply #52 - December 31, 2011, 09:51 AM

Those are some great videos by TheraminTrees;him and his brother QualiaSoup are both great at making these types of videos.
     Reply #53 - December 31, 2011, 11:17 AM

My dad just threatened to kick everyone out of the house... he keeps insulting my beliefs, calling them a stubborn act of rebellion, insulting my relationship saying i'm just going to have sex like a moral-less animal... i can't believe he could say such hurtful things, saying whats the point of having kids when all they do is disobey you, he should tell all of my brothers to go fend for themselves once they're 18, why go through shit for them everyday...   

Sounds like an existential crisis.  Strange concept of parenting that children are there to obey you.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #54 - December 31, 2011, 11:18 AM

When I did this to my parents bella, they said my sisters would never be able to get married because I've ruined their honour. They gave me many threats. I know it's hard, I half-caved and tried to reach a compromise. But the compromise never worked, and I left in the end. Compromises wont work in these situations. You should go. As soon as you've left, you'll be free Smiley It will hurt at first, but you'll still be free.

When is your flight?
     Reply #55 - December 31, 2011, 11:31 AM

I'm following this thread because one of my sisters was in kind of a similar situation and she ended up with an arranged marriage (which she is happy with).
     Reply #56 - December 31, 2011, 01:56 PM

Lol whilst this is awesome, its soooo off topic.  Grin

Yeah I know, I just wanted to quote Shakespeare.
     Reply #57 - December 31, 2011, 05:57 PM

Might you end up in an arranged marriage?  Your dad hasn't promised you to someone as part of a business deal for example?

A.A. Milne,

Reply #58 - January 02, 2012, 11:40 AM

I'm presuming her flight was the Saturday that just passed?
     Reply #59 - January 02, 2012, 11:48 AM

Might you end up in an arranged marriage?  Your dad hasn't promised you to someone as part of a business deal for example?

Wait, wut?   wacko

How did we jump from her parents being a bit pissed that she wants to go see her boyfriend, to the chance of her dad giving her away as part of a business deal?

Lol and I thought I was the worst for assuming the most dramatic outcome.  Grin

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »