Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 09:48 PM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Zohra Sehgal Another great Soul Great actress calls it a day

(Read 2162 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Zohra Sehgal Another great Soul Great actress calls it a day
     OP - July 11, 2014, 10:11 AM

Zohra Sehgal Another great Soul  Great actress  calls it a day at the age of 102

NEW DELHI: In Saeed Mirza’s less discussed movie Naseem, poet Kaifi Azmi, who plays the idealistic grandfather of a doting Muslim girl, dies on the day the Babri Masjid is demolished. Acting legend Zohra Sehgal closed her eyes on Thursday, passing away at 102 shortly after the Narendra Modi government presented its first budget. She was his ardent critic.

Sehgal, who spent her last few years reviving progressive culture, liked often to recite Faiz Ahmed Faiz and a few other leftist poets to nudge her fawning audiences to fight the fight. However, she didn’t die grieving at the apparent failure of her comrades to tackle the resurgence of rightwing religious zealotry in India.

“I am preparing myself for that. When I go to sleep, I try to keep myself smiling,” she told the late writer Khushwant Singh in a memorable discussion shortly before his death recently. “So that when I die, I have a smile on my lips. And I want electric cremation. I don’t want any poems or fuss after that.

And for heaven’s sake, don’t bring back my ashes. Flush them down the toilet if the crematorium refuses to keep them. I tell all, if they tell you Zohraji is dead, I want you to give a big laugh. Think about the funny things. My funny face.”

Sahibzadi Zohra Begum Mumtaz-ullah Khan was born on the April 27, 1912 in a traditional Muslim family in Sahranpur, Uttar Pradesh, and was sent to Lahore to pursue her higher education. Her journey from India to Pakistan and back again, encapsulated the entire Indian freedom struggle. She was a witness to the partition and it pained her a lot, she said.

Zohra ‘s sister Uzra Butt was a leading lady with Prithvi Theatre run by Prithviraj Kapoor. Though trained in ballet, she said: “Ballet was difficult at the beginning, but I wanted to learn it.” She started off her journey with Uday Shankar’s dance troupe and completed over eight decades of her journey in the industry.

She fell in love with Kameshwar Sehgal, a scientist, but his penchant for art is what brought them close. The Hindu boy from Indore, was eight years younger than Zohra. Reluctant to get married, Zohra took time to realise she couldn’t live without Kameshwar. Marriage was imminent. In the year 1942, as India fought the Quit India movement, the couple tied the knot. However, their togetherness was short lived. After Kameshwars’s death in 1952, Zohra knew she had to raise her kids by herself.

According to some accounts, travelling to England to pursue her acting career was a choice that was the most sensible decision she made in her life. The Raj Quartet, The Jewel in the Crown, Tandoori Nights, My Beautiful Laundrette etc. came along.

Over the last few years, she dabbled in numerous Bollywood movies too. Her performances in ‘Cheeni Kum’ alongside Amitabh Bachchan, ‘Dil se’ alongside Shahrukh Khan and Manisha Koirala, ‘Veer-Zara’, ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’, ‘Dillagi’, ‘Bend it Like Beckham’, ‘Sawariya’ and many more, were widely appreciated. Zohra, though approached for a slew of films even later, decided she had to stop; after all she was ageing.

“If you’re reborn, will you be reborn at age 92, or will you be reborn beautiful, in your 20s?” Khushwant Singh asked her “I will be reborn blue-eyed, blonde, 36-26-36 and five feet four,” replied Zohra Sehgal. Her funeral is planned at 11 am on Friday at the Lodi Road Crematorium in Delhi.

indeed She was an acting legend of Subcontinent .. Lucky her She didn't move to Pakistan..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - July 11, 2014, 11:21 AM

Just a little story on her gives us what a Muslim Girl could do in those times in 1920 and 1930s..

Zohra Sehgal was Born Sahibzadi Zohra Begum Mumtaz-ullah Khan on April 27, 1912, Sehgal was the third child among the seven siblings and grew up near Dehradun.  Zohra had lost vision in her left eye when she was just a year old due to glaucoma but this was soon treated.

During her childhood days, Zohra was more of a tomboy. Instead of playing with dolls, like most of the girls at her age, she used to enjoy climbing trees and playing outside.

Young Zohra‘s uncle in Edinburgh arranged an apprenticeship under a British actor. Ms Sehgal made it from Lahore to Europe by car and boat, crossing Iran, Syria, Damascus and Egypt. In Europe, she was admitted to a ballet school in Dresden despite never having danced before. She was the first Indian at the school. It was in Dresden, where she lived for the next three years, that she saw a performance by Uday Shankar’s dance troupe and this was the turning point of her life.

After graduation, Zohra joined Uday Shankar’s dance troupe and traveled from all around the world. From 1935 to 1940, she performed with Uday Shankar in Japan, Egypt, Europe and the US. Later, Zohra also became a teacher at Uday Shankar’s troupe. It was here that she met Kameshwar Sehgal and fell in love.

Her parents objected but ultimately gave the couple their blessings and they were married in 1942. Even after marriage, Zohra and Kameshwar continued to be a part of Uday Shankar’s dance troupe. It was only after the troupe was finally shut down that they moved back to Lahore.[/quote]

ha! .. Born in Lahore  in a Muslim family danced her way in movies  WITH THE SUPPORT OF PARENTS  & UNCLES., So what happened that Muslim culture and that Islamic culture? Or was it not Islam  or  Islam played No role on forcing Individuals?

Now if the kids  dance in Lahore..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdoeOLJKHw

that is the results,.. Oh well..

Zohra Sehgal in 1940s and 1950s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O31G-DN5P_I

"Oh, my burqa was of lovely silk and I was so glad I made petticoats out of it!"   ......Zohra Sehgal

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - July 11, 2014, 11:12 PM

I used to love this lady appearing on the TV in the 70s one of the very few Asian faces we saw on the telly.
    Reading the above article made me think we need more like her.

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
     Reply #3 - July 12, 2014, 01:14 AM

I used to love this lady appearing on the TV in the 70s one of the very few Asian faces we saw on the telly.
    Reading the above article made me think we need more like her.

well this movie of her is older than 1970s apostate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xItQUvQyjc

apparently it was her 2nd  movie..  that is full movie...

1946   Dharti Ke Lal
    1946   Neecha Nagar
    1950   Afsar
    1956   Heer
    1964   The Indian Tales of Rudyard Kipling
    1964–1965   Doctor Who (TV series)
    1967   The Long Duel
    1967   Theatre 625 (TV series)
    1968   The Vengeance of She
    1968   The Expert (TV series)
    1969   The Guru
    1973   The Regiment (TV series)
    1973   Tales That Witness Madness
    1974   It Ain't Half Hot Mum (TV series)
    1978   Mind Your Language (TV series)
    1983   The Courtesans of Bombay
    1984   The Jewel in the Crown (TV series)
    1985   Tandoori Nights (TV series)
    1985   Harem
    1986   Caravaggio
    1987   Partition
    1987   Never Say Die
    1989   Manika, une vie plus tard
    1989   The Bill
    1991   Masala
    1992   Firm Friends
    1993   Bhaji on the Beach
    1994   Little Napoleons
    1995   Amma and Family (TV series)