Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Miswak v. Toothbrush

(Read 8883 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Miswak v. Toothbrush
     OP - April 06, 2009, 11:08 PM

google miswak, & it seems that there're a lot of mostly "Muslim" scientists who state that using miswak is more beneficial to oral health than normal brushing. Is this true? I'd read in some study that flossing increases life expectancy & the world has adopted flossing as well as brushing, if miswak were indeed so beneficial wouldn't more people be using it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=15643758

http://www.almeshkat.net/books/open.php?cat=18&book=110

Is miswak all that beneficial, or is it Islamic pseudoscience? Huh?

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: Miswak v. Toothbrush
     Reply #1 - April 07, 2009, 12:16 AM

The Miswaak keeps your teeth clean. It's not really Islamic pseudoscience completely. But honestly, that's all it does. It doesn't have any added benefits v.s your over the counter tooth paste. In fact, I'd bet on the toothpaste over the Miswaak when it comes to my  grin12

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #2 - April 07, 2009, 12:23 AM

The Miswaak keeps your teeth clean. It's not really Islamic pseudoscience completely. But honestly, that's all it does. It doesn't have any added benefits v.s your over the counter tooth paste. In fact, I'd bet on the toothpaste over the Miswaak when it comes to my  grin12

I think miswak is useful, but when there's toothpaste, why go for miswak? There's this hadith The Prophet said, Whoever performs ablution should clean his nose with water by putting the water in it and then blowing it out, and whoever cleans his private parts with stones should do it with odd number of stones. (Sahih Bukhari 1.162, Sahih Bukhari 1.163)

Odd number of stonesto clean one's private part are for 7th century Arabia, now we use toilet rolls. Now that we have tooth paste, why choose miswak?  wacko

I don't think Prophet Muhammad intended to be so blindly followed, even if I dislike Muhammad. He did say, "Gather knowledge even if you have to go to China..." so he did value new knowledge.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #3 - April 07, 2009, 12:26 AM

so he did value new knowledge.

also among other things...  Cheesy

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #4 - April 07, 2009, 06:24 AM

Quote from: Rashna

I don't think Prophet Muhammad intended to be so blindly followed...

My thoughts exactly.  I imagine he is sitting up in heaven with Jesus going:  015 'Jeez!  My followers have got to be some of the dumbest people on the face of the earth!  I shoulda stayed in the Cave of Hira instead of spreading my message across Arabia!  banghead

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #5 - April 08, 2009, 01:39 PM

"Odd number of stones to clean one's private part are for 7th century Arabia, now we use toilet rolls"

One method Bedouins used to heat up a soup was to heat stones in a fire and then put those heated stones into an animal skin bag along with the liquid to be heated.

By ensuring that ass-whipers only used odd numbers of stones, the soup makers could safely pick stones for soup from even piles. If they saw an odd numbered pile of stones they knew to stay away.

This was an effective method of asswhipe/soup stone management. The policy occasionally failed when two ass whipers put their used stones into the same pile or one of ass whiper accidently lost a stone.

BAfroB

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #6 - April 08, 2009, 02:11 PM

The thing is, people were obviously chewing on this branch and thought "hang on a minute! This is actually cleaning my teeth!"  It does clean your teeth and was probably the best thing for the job at that time, but using toothpaste and toothbrushes is better and more accurate.

Imagine if someone said "You shouldn't drive cars. You should ride camels because that was the sunnah of the prophet." Its ridiculous!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #7 - April 08, 2009, 02:19 PM

He did say, "Gather knowledge even if you have to go to China..." so he did value new knowledge.

I'm 99% sure that this hadith is fabricated.  Muhammad didn't say that.  Unless anyone can find a reference for it..... ??

Reply #8 - April 08, 2009, 02:28 PM

He did say, "Gather knowledge even if you have to go to China..." so he did value new knowledge.

I'm 99% sure that this hadith is fabricated.  Muhammad didn't say that.  Unless anyone can find a reference for it..... ??

I think if you look at the achievements of the Muslim scientists and scholars in Islam's golden age, its pretty obvious that the Muslim ethic valued knowledge.

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #9 - April 08, 2009, 03:03 PM

Dont tell me this is bull also.

This has to be the most popular hadith around?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - April 08, 2009, 03:14 PM

Maybe the anti hadith position is a good one after all? Good hadiths are flushed out along with the bad.  Wink

We know that the woman throwing garbage on Muhammad was fabricated ie plagiarized from the 19th century Bahai faith, maybe this one too is bullshit? I'll  search .

Reply #11 - April 08, 2009, 03:18 PM

Maybe the anti hadith position is a good one after all? Good hadiths are flushed out along with the bad.  Wink

We know that the woman throwing garbage on Muhammad was fabricated ie plagiarized from the 19th century Bahai faith, maybe this one too is bullshit? I'll  search .

..and dont forget the cutting his robes for his cat, the one that you pulled me up on- this is the supposed hadith that wiki had cross referenced with a cat magazine, and the cat magazine had referenced with wikipedia!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - April 08, 2009, 03:21 PM

Yippee!  yay yay yay

I  google that hadith & it turned out that it is a  False hadith.

Here's the link.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13637  
    The scholar advices the student not to go to U.S.A. if it seems detrimental to her eman, for "girls" its best to avoid corrupt environments, & knowledge means "Shariah".bounce bounce

Reply #13 - April 08, 2009, 03:28 PM

Nice one!   Cheesy

Half of these stories I was raised on were nothing more than chinese whispers   Cheesy

What further proof do we need that Allahs message was clear!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - April 08, 2009, 04:58 PM

Asswipe stew is a family recipe handed down generation to generation...  Roll Eyes

Cry another hadith bites the dust...at this rate we will be hadithless in no time...then what will Muslims use to pull one over on the rest of inferior mankind?  whistling2
     Reply #15 - April 08, 2009, 05:11 PM

Yippee!  yay yay yay

google that hadith & it turned out that it is a  False hadith.

Here's the link.

The scholar advices the student not to go to U.S.A. if it seems detrimental to her eman, for "girls" its best to avoid corrupt environments, & knowledge means "Shariah".bounce bounce

Over react

I've never even been muslim, and even I thought that was true!  All the time I've spent on FFI and here and reading this or that which criticised Islam, and I never realised that wasn't a genuine hadeeth. 

Its a shame really, you'd almost like to believe Mohammed really did say something that good.      :'(

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #16 - April 08, 2009, 05:15 PM

Yippee!  yay yay yay

google that hadith & it turned out that it is a  False hadith.

Here's the link.

Over react

I've never even been muslim, and even I thought that was true!  All the time I've spent on FFI and here and reading this or that which criticised Islam, and I never realised that wasn't a genuine hadeeth. 

Its a shame really, you'd almost like to believe Mohammed really did say something that good.      :'(

The actual hadith is "?Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim.?? But the fabricated one sounds so much more romantic!

Reply #17 - April 08, 2009, 05:21 PM

Doesn't it just?

It must be awful for people who suddenly realise Islam in its entirety is not true, if I'm that disappointed by one fabricated hadeeth.  Maybe if its their childhood faith its not awful, because rejecting  that can seem like triumph over parental authority or whatever.  But for converts who then leave, it must be pretty traumatic. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #18 - April 08, 2009, 05:21 PM

The actual hadith is "Seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim.?? But the fabricated one sounds so much more romantic!

Not from what i have read, apparently the word 'knowledge', should be replaced with 'Arabic knowedge'

So what we always thought gave the go ahead to understand seismic geoecological shifts in China, actually was talking about reading 1400 year old books  in a foreign language in your back bedroom.  

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - April 08, 2009, 05:25 PM

Doesn't it just?

It must be awful for people who suddenly realise Islam in its entirety is not true, if I'm that disappointed by one fabricated hadeeth.  Maybe if its their childhood faith its not awful, because rejecting  that can seem like triumph over parental authority or whatever.  But for converts who then leave, it must be pretty traumatic. 

For some perhaps, others are glad to be finally free from something they always felt was a parasite.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - April 08, 2009, 05:31 PM

Another myth busted - congrats to the HadithBusters, Shahid & Rashna  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - April 08, 2009, 05:46 PM

Doesn't it just?

For some perhaps, others are glad to be finally free from something they always felt was a parasite.

That's only because Allah sealed their hearts.   parrot

Reply #22 - April 08, 2009, 06:05 PM

But for converts who then leave, it must be pretty traumatic. 

You're right, particularly serial converts are a different story.  They sometimes seem to be desperately expecting to find a connection, a spiritual connection, the type that religioso's so often brag about.  When they dont get it, and they find out its more about hype than substance, it must lead to disappointment.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - May 08, 2012, 07:37 PM

Initiating Reanimation Protocols…

Stand by…

Reanimation complete.

I decided to resurrect this thread because I wanted to discuss miswak due to something I found in my father’s cupboard:

My Dad bought a miswak. I remember trying them years ago in my Islamic phase. The only thing they did was make my gums bleed. The one my father bought actually comes in a packet claiming all sorts of pseudo–scientific babble about it. It concludes that “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA”!

Fucking fraudsters.

I took a couple of pics but you can’t read the writing on them, so I haven’t bothered uploading them.
     Reply #24 - May 09, 2012, 03:11 AM

hmm... kodanshi, nowadays miswak are applied as a toothpaste ingredients, tried to google it for pseudo science,  no result though
    as this thread hadith debunking is on about studies to china bla.. bla.. , it's still suspended, this thread that is,
    personally,I don't give a crap about miswak, people use it before mo ,does it ?
     Reply #25 - May 09, 2012, 12:06 PM

What was the point of this study? anyway  Huh?

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #26 - May 09, 2012, 02:03 PM

that's what I don't get,

the hadith that been debunked

"Gather knowledge even if you have to go to China..."

how does it goes with miswak,  honestly I don't get it

I'm grumpy, my families use miswak toothpaste while I use toothpaste with triclosan innit, there's experiment on it proven to give endorphin system complication and cancer on dishwashing containing triclosan product, not on toothpaste product though, but I'm paranoid

now that out of my system, someone please tell me what this thread is about , I'm  wacko
     Reply #27 - May 09, 2012, 02:18 PM

Removed the link

EDIT:  I thought this thread was about wife beating and Islam.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #28 - May 09, 2012, 02:55 PM

o me, what happen here, hello Al-Ma`arri, is that you really,  I mean your post

mysmilie_977, someone keell me
     Reply #29 - May 09, 2012, 03:06 PM

And people wonder why Muslim societies stagnate and appear like they want to stay in 7th century Arabia Tongue

If people want to emulate how someone 1400 years ago brushed their teeth... they certainly aren't going to want modern ways of politics, justice, science...
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »