Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 01:18 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
October 03, 2024, 12:57 PM

New Britain
October 02, 2024, 07:07 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Women in Islam are in a lose lose situation!

(Read 12632 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Women in Islam are in a lose lose situation!
     Reply #60 - September 11, 2009, 12:42 PM

How devistating for a young girl to find out in the blossom of her youth that she has already been 'married' off to some cousin or some other bloke who she may not even like from the time she was a baby!

This is what happened with my Pakistani friends, they were promised to each other as children and when they got older, after the husband moved to the States he felt obliged to go back to Pakistan to marry his cousin for fear that he 'sully the family name'.  I know from having frank discussions with him that he is not satisfied with the marriage but as they have a daughter and the wife is totally dependent on him since they are immigrants, he feels that he has no choice but to stay with her. 

I do my best to be the best friend that I can for them though and whenever I visit them I always make a point of taking the missus out for a day of shopping, plus their little girl ADORES me!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #61 - September 12, 2009, 08:43 AM

There have been a spate of government apologies in recent years for maltreatment in the past.  No.10 have recently apologised for "appalling" treatment of Alan Turing and the US government apologised for black slavery in the past.

I would like to take this moment to apologise to all women for the suffering & bigotry man brought to them by the deliberate falsification of Islam by a 7th century conmon and the years of subjugation & oppression it put you under.

Sorry  far away hug

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #62 - October 01, 2009, 01:32 PM

I just came across this today in the Quran regarding women for the first time!

Quran 2:228 - Pickthall translation ..blah blah something about women having equal rights, then they get stung with this.."and the men are a degree above them (women)"

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #63 - October 01, 2009, 03:01 PM

Interesting analyis, I guess a lot of it is to do with the perception of women having to be looked after and maintained by their husbands so therefore men are considered superior in the aspects of providing for family and being intelligent and so on. Women's primary role in Islam is restricted to the household. Hence the reason you see the rights of women are less than that of men in Islamic society.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #64 - October 01, 2009, 03:17 PM

And the husband too! If chasing a 10 years old naked from room to room to have sex with her is not rape, then what is?

I am so disgusted that I once belonged to a religion this brutal! Cry

Yup very different from the moderate Islam I grew up in but nonetheless without equivocation Islamic fundamentalism is sick and disturbing.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #65 - October 01, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yup very different from the moderate Islam I grew up in but nonetheless without equivocation Islamic fundamentalism is sick and disturbing.

The moderate Islam you grew up with is one that has been modernized by current cultural values. 

The reality you will see by the current readings of the translations you are doing, i.e. the true Islam, you will see is more akin to the 'fundamentalism' you describe. 

However even if it is not sincere, I agree that a bastardised apologist version of Islam is far better than the real one.  Even if it does manage to prolong its downfall.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #66 - October 01, 2009, 04:04 PM

The moderate Islam you grew up with is one that has been modernized by current cultural values. 

The reality you will see by the current readings of the translations you are doing, i.e. the true Islam, you will see is more akin to the 'fundamentalism' you describe. 

However even if it is not sincere, I agree that a bastardised apologist version of Islam is far better than the real one.  Even if it does manage to prolong its downfall.

Ye I agree with you there are definitely verses that do substantiate the claims of the radicalists, which I cam across in 4:34 which states to admonish women and then hit them or scourge them as it said in the translation i was reading. However on the other hand I try to be 100% objective on undertaking this journey , if you will, and I try to grasp both sides of the argument and evaluate criticisms.

Look for me I have never been raised up religiously as I have mentioned already but I can understand how when you are raised religiously and then you find such verse or hadiths there is this polar opposite image in your head of the Islam you thought was the truth, and there is this sudden backlash against Islam. That is why some people leaving Islam feel they have been conned their entire lives which is the case or at least have been denied the whole truth. As a result some have this embittered attiitude towards Islam now. For me I have slowly become more open-mined and critical of my faith considering I did believe in my own idealised version of Islam. I don't want to slap the misogynist label on Islam just like that because I know there also positive aspects to Islam regarding women. I own this book called Gender and Women in Islamby Leila Ahmed, from my reading of it is a balanced book. I created a topic for this book but it did not get that much attention although I recommend it to you if you are wondering why there are Muslim women who do hold on to Islam. The book actually does confront the sexist elements in Islam but a the same time provides hope for those who believe in a non-sexist form of Islam.

Reply #67 - October 01, 2009, 04:05 PM

Thats right...They are in lose situation.....

The weird thing is..Many of those strict muslim womens gets mad when someone dont believe in GOD.They are blindly saying that ALLAH made Us and they will do anything as his wish....
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »