Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: What was your favourite azan?

(Read 5526 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What was your favourite azan?
     OP - November 12, 2009, 12:44 PM

I have to say guys that when I was a muslim, some of the azans were beautiful and some were particularly breathtaking, particularly the ones from Turkey. I remember when I went to Istanbul in 2005 and listening to the chorus of azans that would go off throughout the city. It really did make your hair stand on end and really gave me the goose bumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyMVLlCxIGg
  • Re: What was your favourite azan?
     Reply #1 - November 12, 2009, 12:47 PM

This one from Makkah was probably my favourite and listening to it even now made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvUMtvxrgco
     Reply #2 - November 12, 2009, 02:24 PM

Funnily enough I could never stand the azan, I used to hate my religion.
     Reply #3 - November 12, 2009, 08:16 PM

Dear god, that sounds like a cat being attacked by a chain saw.

Muslims need to take a lesson from the Catholics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbDqc3x97k

Then maybe Muslim singing won't sound as if it were a declaration of war, no matter how benign the content maybe.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #4 - November 12, 2009, 08:21 PM

They still sound good for their musical value to me, but I gotta really hate some of the ones I used to listen to in my country. Even one of my teachers remarked about it, saying that there was once a westerner who heard the azan in Syria, and he was impressed by it that he became a Muslim(dunno about this story, but it is probably fake). But he said if he is to hear the azan here he would probably just book a ticket home and never come again. Though truth to be said, many of them are beautiful.

BTW, I always thought about Azan and Quran being recited in a pretty much musical way was contradictory to the thing about music being haram. I mean it doesn't make any sense.

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #5 - November 13, 2009, 12:44 AM

Hmmm... sorry, didn't care much for the azan when I believed in Islam and now it just gives me the creepy crawlies. witch Too much bad stuff associated with it I suppose.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #6 - November 16, 2009, 11:52 PM

Never liked the Azan, but I did like some Nasheeds though. This being my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhN9Y-neQ0

I remember hearing this nasheed for the first time, when I watched a video on youtube about famous Muslim converts. Back then, while watching the video, it made me proud to be "part of the true faith" since all these famous people converted to it. But now, since I'm a bit wiser, those so called "famous converts" like Busta Rhymes, really make me facepalm.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #7 - November 17, 2009, 02:55 AM

There are some really nice azans - very melodic. But Wahabbism infected Muslims so much that there were always some in any congregation who disapproved of tuneful azans. So the plain, harsh, shouting (or braying) of the Wahabbi azans became very widespread all round the Muslim world.
     Reply #8 - November 17, 2009, 03:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXQKg0tmlc

I could only understand a few words in this one, but I like this nasheed.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #9 - March 08, 2014, 05:58 PM

I heard a sound over a loudspeaker that instantly brought back memories of the athan in Saudi Arabia. I'd be lying if I said I didn't used to enjoy the skill of the Muethineen of the Prophet's Mosque. Both Makkah and Madinah have their own unique style of Athan that has been passed from generation to generation. The prominent callers hail from central Asia historically, and their descendents still fulfill the role today. Here is a sample of the Madinah style as passed down. This used to give me goosebumps as it echoed through the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GieKk7rEN5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFr2KFAAaqw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And from 60 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLT76kybnt0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
     Reply #10 - March 08, 2014, 06:05 PM

There are some really nice azans - very melodic. But Wahabbism infected Muslims so much that there were always some in any congregation who disapproved of tuneful azans. So the plain, harsh, shouting (or braying) of the Wahabbi azans became very widespread all round the Muslim world.

Yes! This here is the official athan of the Grand Mosque in Riyadh. It is what is broadcasted across the country on the radio at payer time. It is a common style in eastern Arabia. I'm not sure that it is specifically Wahhabi. I think it is more authentically Arabian and Bedouin. You hear it in Oman and UAE as well. It is likely closer to the 'sunnah' which is why Wahhabis prefer it. It sounds like shouting. It totally brings back memories of Arabia to hear it.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm0ANRAAsYk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
     Reply #11 - March 08, 2014, 06:07 PM

Despite once being bad at rote prayer, I really love the Azan..  not sure but wasnt the far eastern pronunciation really nice..  i must find
     Reply #12 - March 08, 2014, 06:07 PM

I have to admit it but I really like the azan. Not all of them , but the ones you guys posted are really nice!
    Hearing that voice gives me a sense of peace and of something infinite, which is weird, considering that It has nothing to do with religion anymore.
     Reply #13 - March 08, 2014, 06:08 PM

I am not going to lie. I love the adhan. Truly.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #14 - March 08, 2014, 06:13 PM

Yes! This here is the official athan of the Grand Mosque in Riyadh. It is what is broadcasted across the country on the radio at payer time. It is a common style in eastern Arabia. I'm not sure that it is specifically Wahhabi. I think it is more authentically Arabian and Bedouin. You hear it in Oman and UAE as well. It is likely closer to the 'sunnah' which is why Wahhabis prefer it. It sounds like shouting. It totally brings back memories of Arabia to hear it.

Check it out.

I actually heard both this and the melodic type in the UAE, which is weird at the same time.

Reply #15 - March 08, 2014, 06:15 PM

I would like to know history of Azan.
    Was there something like it before Islam or was Mo just like: "Hey Abdullah [or whichever the first yeller was named], go to the roof and yell" Did Mo create the Azan's tone? Has the tone of it changed since Mo?

I ask many stupid questions frequently.
    I am curious, that's why I ask many questions.
    I am overly curious, that's why I ask stupid questions.
    I lack patience, that's why I ask frequently.
    So forgive me and answer me Smiley
     Reply #16 - March 08, 2014, 06:18 PM

Check it out.

Sounds like Tarzan at times, but I like the sound of this. It's brutal, raw and real.

I ask many stupid questions frequently.
    I am curious, that's why I ask many questions.
    I am overly curious, that's why I ask stupid questions.
    I lack patience, that's why I ask frequently.
    So forgive me and answer me Smiley
     Reply #17 - March 08, 2014, 06:21 PM

I would like to know history of Azan.
    Was there something like it before Islam or was Mo just like: "Hey Abdullah [or whichever the first yeller was named], go to the roof and yell" Did Mo create the Azan's tone? Has the tone of it changed since Mo?

It was Bilal. I heard he made it up, not Mo, but I am sure there are different versions of this story.

Reply #18 - March 08, 2014, 07:17 PM

I actually used to regularly call the athan at a number of mosques both here in the states and when I lived in Arabia. Here is yours truly with a rendition of the Madinah athan. Sorry for the very crappy audio. I think I was covering the Mic on my phone with my hand. You'll have to turn it up. It's been a long while since I've done this.

http://soundcloud.com/user23650210/athan
     Reply #19 - March 08, 2014, 07:20 PM

Nice, and I am pretty sure you were covering the mic.

Reply #20 - March 08, 2014, 09:13 PM

Wow, happymurtad. I'm jealous. You have a great voice.
     Reply #21 - March 09, 2014, 06:05 AM

Most of my memories of the Azan come from Cairo - where the generally mediocre quality of Azzanship coupled with the insistence on using crappy amplification systems has the unintended effect of creating the sound of a giant swarm of angry mosquitos buzzing above the city. Not nice at all.
     Reply #22 - March 09, 2014, 06:23 AM

I always liked the adhan. When I was visiting the Emirates, the adhan in Sharjah was just beautiful. Especially when all the mosques started with just minutes after each other. It lasted up to 5-10 minuted before it became quiet again. When I was visiting a mall, there was this recorded adhan there with the most melodious and beautiful call I have ever heard in my life. I think it is the same as in Dubai Mall, which was by the way the most horrible place I've ever been to.

The adhan was actually the only thing I enjoyed "Islamically" when visiting a Muslim country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khobOy21ffY

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #23 - March 09, 2014, 10:43 AM

Wow, happymurtad. I'm jealous. You have a great voice.

thnkyu
     Reply #24 - March 09, 2014, 12:56 PM

I always liked the adhan. When I was visiting the Emirates, the adhan in Sharjah was just beautiful. Especially when all the mosques started with just minutes after each other. It lasted up to 5-10 minuted before it became quiet again. When I was visiting a mall, there was this recorded adhan there with the most melodious and beautiful call I have ever heard in my life. I think it is the same as in Dubai Mall, which was by the way the most horrible place I've ever been to.

The adhan was actually the only thing I enjoyed "Islamically" when visiting a Muslim country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khobOy21ffY

I agree with you on the Dubai Mall, I didn't like it either, I think I preferred any other city there to Dubai.

Reply #25 - March 09, 2014, 01:19 PM

Istanbul for me.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #26 - March 09, 2014, 01:20 PM

I used to work just up the freeway from there so I'd often spend my lunch break there. The entire city is just a bizarre project in the triumph of money over sensibility. No athan in Dubai ever stood out to me as particularly moving, on the rare occasions an athan was heard there.
     Reply #27 - March 09, 2014, 01:25 PM

I know, the place is both weird and off putting. One thing that stuck with me was when I saw two women covered all in black, you could not even see their eyes behind the sitarah. And behind them there was a Fillipino maid walking three steps behind carrying all their bags from high end stores. I just felt like  vomit

We spent a whole day there and I never heard an adhan during that whole time. It was really odd to me, because in Sharjah just 30 minutes from Dubai, you cannot not hear an adhan...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #28 - March 09, 2014, 01:29 PM

The emir of sharjah had a decree to put a masjid on every corner. So that's what they did. I lived in sharjah for years. I honestly enjoyed it.
     Reply #29 - March 09, 2014, 01:35 PM

I also liked it there, I could imagine a pretty nice life there. If it weren't for the fact that I had to cover up in a niqab, and I somehow reconciled my issues with Islam, I would have moved there. Watching youtube videos of Sarjah I got all nostalgic, almost had an anxiety attack :S

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »