Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:32 AM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Story of Sulayman

(Read 84221 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Story of Sulayman
     Reply #30 - February 07, 2010, 01:09 PM

Well, if the intelligent muslims are already taking this metaphorically, do you feel perhaps you are preaching to the choir?  Smiley

I should also add that I am definitely not 'preaching to the choir' - I don't make these videos for ex-Muslims or non-Muslims - or even for the Sufis/Metaphorical/Phillosophical type Muslims. I make them for the majority of Muslims - to make them think.

I make it for those who might be fooled by the crap spouted by people like Ahmad Deedat, Zakir Naik, Yusuf Estes, Bilal Phillips, Abdurahman Green, and so on... For Muslims who watch the "Deen Show" or the "Islam Channel" or "Peace TV" etc...

I make them for all the simplistic, literalist Muslim who give the fundamentalist idiot Sheikhs and Mullahs like Suhaib Hasan... power over Muslims.

They allow people like Anjem Chaudhury to exist without being run out of town as they should be!

Such people deserve nothing less than to have their literalism pulled to pieces.

I have no quarrel with people like 'The Tailor' and other more esoteric, metaphorical, and philosophical type of Muslims.

The reason literalism is beginning to let in water and sink is precisely because of the growing number of dissenting voices raising questions and criticisms of it! (Particularly by those who are or have been Muslims)
     Reply #31 - February 07, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hear hear.   cheers

Keep on making them, you put it in a way that takes the mic without hurting.  Smiley

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #32 - February 07, 2010, 01:24 PM

@ Berbs  far away hug
     Reply #33 - February 07, 2010, 01:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CccaGaKOlSI

I love TheThinkingAtheist too Smiley

Great video Hassan.  Afro

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #34 - February 07, 2010, 01:31 PM

Yes, I really enjoy TheThinkingAtheist  Afro
     Reply #35 - February 07, 2010, 01:49 PM

Hassan the Quran is meant to be taken literally, right? I have never heard of it being interpreted in any other way. Sure there are allegorical parts, the Quran mentions this, but it doesn't say what parts. For example, Adam & Eve. We really all came from Adam and Eve. That's not a bedtime story, it's meant to be taken literally, like atomic theory or that water is wet. Right?
     Reply #36 - February 07, 2010, 02:10 PM

Hassan the Quran is meant to be taken literally, right? I have never heard of it being interpreted in any other way. Sure there are allegorical parts, the Quran mentions this, but it doesn't say what parts. For example, Adam & Eve. We really all came from Adam and Eve. That's not a bedtime story, it's meant to be taken literally, like atomic theory or that water is wet. Right?

Yes as you say the Qur'an is basically meant to be taken literally though there there are parts to be taken metaphorically.

There is no doubt that Muslims are faced with an almost impossible task, but it doesn't say which part is what, which leaves Muslims a bit of leeway.

I know quite a few Muslims who take things metaphorically.

Reply #37 - February 07, 2010, 02:11 PM

Are they salvaging the remains of their faith? It seems I don't know.. one step away from apostasy.
     Reply #38 - February 07, 2010, 03:22 PM

Yep. It's amazing what people will do to keep hold of that comfort blankie!
     Reply #39 - February 07, 2010, 03:43 PM

Hey guys,
    I hope you're all doing well. Entertaining video Hassan, I liked the 'superman' bit, hehe. A couple of points though:

'The kingdom/power of the like which was granted to Solomon but no-one after him' means just that i.e. that he had a special ability to commune and work with Jinns and birds - the verses are of course not saying that the 'cooking pots that were built in the ground by the Jinns' etc.  would not be able to done by anyone else after him or indeed by anyone else at that time - in fact I'm surprised you drew this sort of conclusion from this verse. In addition of course, the majority of the things in your video do not come from the Quran but they come from the hadith or whatever other sources you have used. Also it is not clear from the Quran how vast Solomon's 'kingdom' was - all we know from the Quran is that it was a unique community that consisted of men, jinn and birds - it thus might be unlikely that we would find any archaelogical evidence for such a 'kingdom'.

I am willing to take the Quranic verses regarding Solomon literally obviously not on a scientific basis but on a faith-basis - although I do beleive that some of the verses are probably of metaphorical nature i.e. the ants perhaps did not literally 'talk' to each other, but communicated to each other via means of chemicals and pheromones warning each other of danger.

I should also say that the reasons why me and other Muslims have faith in these stories is that we believe God created the entire universe and everything in it. This creation is quite some feat. Therefore all the miracles described in the Quran, whilst they might seem like ridiculous miracles to us, they would be no big deal for God to perform. In fact they would be insignificant compared to the creation of the Universe. It therefore actually makes little sense to ask a beleiver 'how can you beleive in all these ridiculous miracles' when we believe God created the universe and everything in it - a creation for which itself there is currently no scientific explanation (i.e. where all the energy/matter that gave birth to our universe and the beautiful laws of physics came from).

PS I agree the CEMB is doing a magnificent job at enlightening the whole world about Islam  Wink you do seem to spend half your lives on here after all  Wink . Keep up the good work - where would humanity be without the guiding light that is CEMB? Islam certainly is a sinking ship - once it has finally sunk I am sure you can expect to hear from the Queen congratulating you for your efforts  yes

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #40 - February 07, 2010, 03:57 PM

Hi Abu Yunus,

Apart from the magic carpet - which is from hadith - all the rest is from Qur'an. (Even the magic carpet can be - and was - inferred from the Quran saying the winds were under his control and took him where he wanted.)

I'd be interested in your views on these points (which are all from the Qur'an):

How Sulayman heard/understood the meaning what the ants said/did - and why should that cause him to smile? (He did after all control them all!)

Why would such a powerful and wise King get so angry and want to torture one little bird for not being in the line when he came to inspect?

How did the Hoopoe bird communicate with Sulayman?

How did the Hoopoe bird carry the message back to Bilquis (was it in the beak or under one wing - or did Sulayman tie it to his leg?)

How is it that a body can remain leaning on a stick for days and not fall off - nor the horse move nor get hungry or thirsty - or anyone find it odd that this would stay like that for days and nights?

Why such a tyrannical king who tortured his subjects for small offences (even though God supposedly made them obey him?) would be worthy of any sort of admiration?

And why there is no shred of any archeological evidence of this kingdom?

Don''t you find that strange?

When we have archeological evidence of other - less powerful and smaller - principalities that certainly never reached from Palestine to Yemen (which Sulayman's Kingdom at the very least did - according to the Qur'an.)

Reply #41 - February 07, 2010, 04:42 PM

Hey Hassan,

Regarding Solomons death in the Quran:

Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
    34:14

I'm not sure this is anything like the ellaborate story you have described in your vid.

As I said earlier, it is not clear from the Quran how vast 'solomons kingdom' was. All we know from the Quran is that it was a unique community consisting of men, jinn and birds - it might be unlikely we'd find any archaeological evidence for such a community

best wishes
    Abu Yunus

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #42 - February 07, 2010, 04:56 PM

Hey Hassan,

Regarding Solomons death in the Quran:

Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
    34:14

I'm not sure this is anything like the ellaborate story you have described in your vid.

As I said earlier, it is not clear from the Quran how vast 'solomons kingdom' was. All we know from the Quran is that it was a unique community consisting of men, jinn and birds - it might be unlikely we'd find any archaeological evidence for such a community

best wishes
    Abu Yunus

How long will it take for an insect to gnaw away at a stick to make it fall Aby Yunus? And you don't find it weird that Sulaymans dead body stayed there and the Jinn kept working (scared of Sulayman torturing them) all the while it was gnawing away until his body fell?

How is my video an elaboration?

I'm just taking the Qur'an at it's word.

And how did the Hoopoe and Sulayman communicate with each other and how did it carry the message?

And a Kingdom the stretched from Palestine to Yemen does not leave any archeological trace - nor any mention in kingdoms that existed in the area at the same time? Yet lesser communities have left both? You really don't find that odd?

And why does Sulayman threaten to torture a little bird for not being in a line?

Doesn't he have anything better to do?

All this you find quite reasonable, Aby Yunus?

Or is it you would find it absurd if it was in any other book?

But because it is in the Qur'an then it must be true - right?
     Reply #43 - February 07, 2010, 05:24 PM

I am willing to take the Quranic verses regarding Solomon literally obviously not on a scientific basis but on a faith-basis - although I do beleive that some of the verses are probably of metaphorical nature i.e. the ants perhaps did not literally 'talk' to each other, but communicated to each other via means of chemicals and pheromones warning each other of danger.

And while we are on the subject of metaphor, I'd be interested to know on what basis do you take some verses of Qur'an at face value and others not?

Is it whatever seems to make sense to you that decides?

Is that as equally valid as whatever makes sense to someone else - or are you right while they are wrong?

The verse about the ant says "Qaalat" = It said - that means it spoke. Taken literally it does not mean anything else.

On what basis do you take that metaphorically and and others literally?
     Reply #44 - February 07, 2010, 07:09 PM

How long will it take for an insect to gnaw away at a stick to make it fall Aby Yunus? And you don't find it weird that Sulaymans dead body stayed there and the Jinn kept working (scared of Sulayman torturing them) all the while it was gnawing away until his body fell?

How is my video an elaboration?

I'm just taking the Qur'an at it's word.

And how did the Hoopoe and Sulayman communicate with each other and how did it carry the message?

And a Kingdom the stretched from Palestine to Yemen does not leave any archeological trace - nor any mention in kingdoms that existed in the area at the same time? Yet lesser communities have left both? You really don't find that odd?

And why does Sulayman threaten to torture a little bird for not being in a line?

Doesn't he have anything better to do?

All this you find quite reasonable, Aby Yunus?

Or is it you would find it absurd if it was in any other book?

But because it is in the Qur'an then it must be true - right?

Excellent post Hassan - I look forward to AbuYounus's reply.

@AbuY - I cant believe.  No, let me correct that. I really cant believe you still think this 'fairytale' is true.  So much so that you would expect to find the archelogical evidence.  Let me tell we will never find the arceaelogical evidence.  The reason is (as you really should have guessed already) is because its not true.  Its obvious really.

Please Please tell me you dont believe in this hoopee bird shit.  I implore you  hope

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #45 - February 07, 2010, 07:13 PM

The ridiculousness goes further when you consider most muslims think we deservedly should repeatedly have a our faces fried for not believing in this shi'ite.  

The power of good memes, particularly the Islamic one, knows no bounds.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #46 - February 07, 2010, 07:22 PM

It's ironic how the precise and minute shades of meaning of language are offered by some to argue that it shows a scientific miracle.

Yet when God uses a clumsy expression like the "ant said" meaning it spoke - when He (Blessed be His name) could quite easily have used words like 'signaled', 'gestured', 'indicated' 'directed' 'raised alarm' and so on... which would have been far more easily interpreted as a communication through pheromones, than the word "Qaalat" = said/spoke - such clumsiness of language is overlooked.

I guess God (Blessed be His name) just randomly chooses when he wants us to interpret his words as literally and scientifically precise and when to ignore their confusing clumsiness and just make up our own interpretation Wink
     Reply #47 - February 07, 2010, 07:31 PM

Hello Hassan,

Although I know your questions were directed at Yunus, but I hope you don't mind me answering them too. (I know you're too busy and so am I, so this shall be hopefully brief).

First, I would like to start with reiterating what Abu Yunus said. If one believes in God, then believing in the supernatural follows.

Apart from the magic carpet - which is from hadith - all the rest is from Qur'an. (Even the magic carpet can be - and was - inferred from the Quran saying the winds were under his control and took him where he wanted.)

I believe the wind, the elements and the animals were not only made Solomon's subjects, they were literally given human intelligence too.  

I'd be interested in your views on these points (which are all from the Qur'an):

How Sulayman heard/understood the meaning what the ants said/did - and why should that cause him to smile? (He did after all control them all!)

Like I said the elements and animals who were made Solomon's subjects in his kingdom, were given human intelligence. As to how he could hear the little ant, it's just that he understood what it said somehow... it doesn't have to be literal hearing... He could understand their communications, somehow.

And he smiled feeling grateful for God's favor on him that even ants were made to understand who King Solomon was.

Why would such a powerful and wise King get so angry and want to torture one little bird for not being in the line when he came to inspect?

First off, "3athab" means torture or *punishment*. When the king was inspecting his army of men, demons, beasts and the elements, he missed one soldier, and in front of the rest of his army, he threatened the deserter (the hoopoe) with severe punishment. A king must discipline his army.

How did the Hoopoe bird communicate with Sulayman?

like I said above, all his subjects had human intelligence. PLUS he could undrstand whatever the hoppoe sung as intelligible language.

How did the Hoopoe bird carry the message back to Bilquis (was it in the beak or under one wing - or did Sulayman tie it to his leg?)

Do you want me to speculate? Ok, any of the above.

How is it that a body can remain leaning on a stick for days and not fall off - nor the horse move nor get hungry or thirsty - or anyone find it odd that this would stay like that for days and nights?

Horse? What horse? There was no mention of a horse. When I read the verse I thought Solomon was on some chair somewhere.

Why didn't anyone find Solomon sitting on a chair, for days, odd? Perhaps it was a rule that no one was allowed to speak in the presence of the king until he gave permission? I can only speculate. We weren't given too many details.

Why such a tyrannical king who tortured his subjects for small offences (even though God supposedly made them obey him?) would be worthy of any sort of admiration?

A king punishing (disciplining) his soldiers is NOT tyrannical. (again, 3athab could mean punishment). PLUS, there was no mention that he *actually* had to punish anyone, except God punishing defiant demons, who'd dare disobey Solomon.

What's the point of the whole story? It's the exact opposite of the story of Job. Job and Solomon were both two slaves of God. Job suffered greatly but stayed faithful to God... Solomon was given what no human will ever be given and yet he didn't forget he was a slave of God... unlike the man of the two great gardens who was so arrogant and ungrateful towards God only because God was very generous with him (18: 32-43)

And why there is no shred of any archeological evidence of this kingdom?

Don''t you find that strange?

When we have archeological evidence of other - less powerful and smaller - principalities that certainly never reached from Palestine to Yemen (which Sulayman's Kingdom at the very least did - according to the Qur'an.)

Yes. The same goes for many other stories in the Quran... for example, why is there no record of an exodus in Egyptian records, etc, etc... one can only speculate as to why this is so but the lack of evidence is not an evidence.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #48 - February 07, 2010, 07:31 PM

Even more ironic is that what is truly at the bottom of all this desperate effort to explain the ridiculous is a subconscious fear of being roasted by the "Most Merciful of those who show Mercy."
     Reply #49 - February 07, 2010, 07:43 PM

Even more ironic is that what is truly at the bottom of all this desperate effort to explain the ridiculous is a subconscious fear of being roasted by the "Most Merciful of those who show Mercy."

Ouch! thanks, anyway. Cry

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #50 - February 07, 2010, 07:44 PM

Hi Debunker,

I appreciate your honesty.

I understand that you may not find it hard to believe that ants and birds could talk and were given human intelligence - and Sulayman would torture (yes it does mean torture - 'iqaab means just punishment in fact the Qur'an even goes further by saying a "painful torture") if they did things like not be in a line when he was reviewing them - and that the wind did what he wanted (and had human intelligence) and the jinn did all sorts of amazing things (like make really big cooking pots) and God would save all this amazing stuff for a time when it could not be recorded and verified for later generations - yet for some reason seems very shy to do such amazing things now.  Or that you have no problem with the lack of any archeological evidence or mention in other civilisations, for a kingdom that the Qur'an clearly presents as extraordinary in power and influence.

But I'm afraid I do have a lot of difficulty with that - and even more so considering the punishment for rejecting it is so unbelievably cruel and excessive.

Peace,

Hassan.
     Reply #51 - February 07, 2010, 08:29 PM

@ Hassan

Regarding the archeological evidence issue (which applies to many stories, including the exodus) and the issue of why no mirales, now, those need another thread... anyway, I just wanted to comment on this:

- and Sulayman would torture (yes it does mean torture - 'iqaab means just punishment in fact the Qur'an even goes further by saying a "painful torture")

Again, I do know that 'athab means torture but it can also mean punishment, see for example:

9:55
    فَلاَ تُعْجِبْكَ أَمْوَالُهُمْ وَلاَ أَوْلاَدُهُمْ إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللّهُ لِيُعَذِّبَهُم بِهَا فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَتَزْهَقَ أَنفُسُهُمْ وَهُمْ كَافِرُونَ

YUSUFALI: Let not their wealth nor their (following in) sons dazzle thee: in reality Allah's plan is to punish them with these things in this life, and that their souls may perish in their (very) denial of Allah.
    PICKTHAL: So let not their riches nor their children please thee (O Muhammad). Allah thereby intendeth but to punish them in the life of the world and that their souls shall pass away while they are disbelievers.
    SHAKIR: Let not then their property and their children excite your admiration; Allah only wishes to chastise them with these in this world's life and (that) their souls may depart while they are unbelievers.

so 'athab, in the Quran, means torture or punishment.

Reply #52 - February 07, 2010, 08:35 PM

Ouch! thanks, anyway. Cry

I have a lot of respect for you, Debunker, so let me ask you honestly; do you fear Hell? Do you think that fear does not affect your behaviour/thinking?
     Reply #53 - February 07, 2010, 08:39 PM

@ Hassan

Regarding the archeological evidence issue (which applies to many stories, including the exodus) and the issue of why no mirales, now, those need another thread... anyway, I just wanted to comment on this:

Again, I do know that 'athab means torture but it can also mean punishment, see for example:

9:55
    فَلاَ تُعْجِبْكَ أَمْوَالُهُمْ وَلاَ أَوْلاَدُهُمْ إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللّهُ لِيُعَذِّبَهُم بِهَا فِي الْحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا وَتَزْهَقَ أَنفُسُهُمْ وَهُمْ كَافِرُونَ

YUSUFALI: Let not their wealth nor their (following in) sons dazzle thee: in reality Allah's plan is to punish them with these things in this life, and that their souls may perish in their (very) denial of Allah.
    PICKTHAL: So let not their riches nor their children please thee (O Muhammad). Allah thereby intendeth but to punish them in the life of the world and that their souls shall pass away while they are disbelievers.
    SHAKIR: Let not then their property and their children excite your admiration; Allah only wishes to chastise them with these in this world's life and (that) their souls may depart while they are unbelievers.

so 'athab, in the Quran, means torture or punishment.

Notwithstanding that translation - Athaab means more than just punishment and torture would be it's usual translation - and at the very least should include a meaning of making someone suffer.

But let's say it just means punish - it also says "painful punishment" - do you find it reasonable that a mighty King would punish - painfully - a little bird because it wasn't in it's line?
     Reply #54 - February 07, 2010, 08:49 PM

I have a lot of respect for you, Debunker, so let me ask you honestly; do you fear Hell? Do you think that fear does not affect your behaviour/thinking?

The fact is my fear of Hell is so great I almost want to believe that the Quran is a LIE!

What I'm saying is: my fear of Hell is a motivation for me to reject Islam rather than accept it... it's so horrible a nightmare I just want to believe it's a LIE.

Reply #55 - February 07, 2010, 08:54 PM

The fact is my fear of Hell is so great I almost want to believe that the Quran is a LIE!

What I'm saying is: my fear of Hell is a motivation for me to reject Islam rather than accept it... it's so horrible a nightmare I just want to believe it's a LIE.

In this we agree, though I do reject Islam because of it (as well as other things.)

Regarding the punishing of the Hoopoe - I decided not to be lazy and just write from memory, but look up the bit where Sulayman is reviewing all the animals all nicely standing in a row and then sees the little Hoopoe missing and this is what he says:

لَأُعَذِّبَنَّهُ عَذَابًا شَدِيدًا أَوْ لَأَذْبَحَنَّهُ

"I will surely torture him with a severe torture or I will slaughter him!"

It doesn't just use the word "Athaab" but also the verb "Aththaba" which definitely means torture! PLUS it says Shadid (Severe) PLUS it says Uathibahannahu - I will slit his throat!

Be honest - doesn't that sound just a little crazy?

If your son was in the army and was late for parade would you be happy if the commanding officer said this? (Never mind a prophet of God and a little bird?)
     Reply #56 - February 07, 2010, 08:56 PM

But let's say it just means punish - it also says "painful punishment" - do you find it reasonable that a mighty King would punish - painfully - a little bird because it wasn't in it's line?

I already explained... it's like threatening punishing a deserter in front of an army... it's meant to discipline... I think you read too much into it...

By the way, I enjoyed your other videos more... somehow, your strongly Charismatic personality was missing in that video (I really think the reason why your videos are effective has a LOT to do with your charisma).

Reply #57 - February 07, 2010, 08:57 PM

somehow, your strongly Charismatic personality was missing in that video

I disagree, I think his witty personality came through very well indeed, especially with the selection of some of the clips he used  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #58 - February 07, 2010, 09:00 PM

I already explained... it's like threatening punishing a deserter in front of an army... it's meant to discipline... I think you read too much into it...

Maybe you missed this from my last post as I was editing it:

لَأُعَذِّبَنَّهُ عَذَابًا شَدِيدًا أَوْ لَأَذْبَحَنَّهُ

"I will surely torture him with a severe torture or I will slaughter him!"

It doesn't just use the word "Athaab" but also the verb "Aththaba" which definitely means torture! PLUS it says Shadid (Severe) PLUS it says Lathibihannahu - I will slit his throat!

Be honest - doesn't that sound just a little crazy?
     Reply #59 - February 07, 2010, 09:01 PM

@ billy

How would you compare this video to his video on wife beating or how he left Islam, for example? No comparison in my opinion!

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »