Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:32 AM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Story of Sulayman

(Read 83838 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 15 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Story of Sulayman
     Reply #360 - February 12, 2010, 11:39 PM

Thankfully not! lol

you should, check out his album cover, he tattooed Rug Life over his abdomen.
     Reply #361 - February 12, 2010, 11:55 PM

Thankfully not! lol

Yeah - its an oldie that was b4 my time, think BD unearthed it - anyhow apparently Allah is female (and cooks a mean American breakfast - actually added this bit myself Wink)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #362 - February 16, 2010, 01:56 PM

A Video response to my video about Sulayman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9X-7ud9Kvg
     Reply #363 - February 16, 2010, 01:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsackPnsxXM
     Reply #364 - February 16, 2010, 02:04 PM

Is the story of Suleiman as depicted in the Quran based on a Jewish bed-time story for children? That's what I want to know.
     Reply #365 - February 16, 2010, 03:59 PM

@ BD

I already explained to you earlier that the atheistic neutral view of the Quran is that its stories are plagiarized AND corrupted accounts of many books from both the Western canonized Bible and non-canonical gospels and Jewish scriptures like the Talmud, Kabbalah and Midrash.

This applies to almost EVERY story in the Quran.. For example, the story of how Satan fell off the grace of God, according to Quran is different from the one we have in the Bible.

In the Bible, Satan wanted to overthrow God, he convinced half the angels in heaven to follow his lead... and led a rebellion against God... but the other half were on God's side...  they were led by Arch Angel Michael.. Michael's army of angels defeated Satan's army of angels and God got to keep His throne! Hallelujah!

Satan's reward for his daring move was that he was given the keys of Hell (some say this means that he was given the reign over Hell)... the angels who fought with Satan against God all became Demons.

Muhammed, the multi-lingual scholar, didn't like this account from the Western canonized Bible. So instead he plagiarized AND distorted another account from the book of "Life of Adam and Eve"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Adam_and_Eve

Then Michael came; he summoned all the troops of angels and told them, "Bow down before the likeness and the image of the divinity." And then, when Michael summoned them and all had bowed down to you, he summoned me [Satan] also. And I told him, "Go away from me, for I shall not bow down to him who is younger than me; indeed, I am master prior to him and it is proper for him to bow down to me. 

And here's a few random tiny examples of Muhammed plagiarizing AND distorting stories from the canonical Bible.

-Yahweh sometimes is literally present in the battle field fihgting with His people (the Quranic version: Angels are sometimes sent to help the believers).

- Yahweh walks in the camp of the Jews and wants them to cover up their shit so that He doesn't have to see it.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-14
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2023:12-14;&version=49;
    - Yahweh wrestling with Jacob without being able to defeat him.
    Genesis 32: 24-32
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2032:24-32;&version=ESV;
    (Quranic version: God wouldn't even so much as allow Himself to directly talk to a prophet except from behind a veil 42:51).

-Yahweh rests/eats/drinks/visits his prophets (Quranic version: Angels were sent to Abraham and even they wouldn't eat with him. 11:69-70).
    Genesis 18
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2018;&version=NASB;

-Yahweh is a moron who doesn't know how to choose His prophets and kings (Aaron built the Golden Calf, King David is a big time sinner, Solomon ended up worshipping idols-- Quranic version: Aaron opposed building the calf, David was a righteous king and Solomon didn't worship idols, etc)

-Many figures in the Hebrew Bible are called sons of God: angles, David, Israel, etc (Quranic version: ABSOLUTELY no one is worthy of being called a son of God).

Even as marginal an account as the Israeltes complaining about their food, Muhammed distorted it: 

According to Quran, the Israelites were complaining that they got fed up with eating the same food, so God told them to go back to Egypt. But according to Numbers 11, Yahweh sends a severe plague upon them to punish them and many have died.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Num%2011;&version=NIV;

Like I said, from an atheistic point of view, EVERY story in the Quran is plagiarized AND distorted from both the Bible and non-canonical religious texts. The most notable example of this is the story of Jesus which is plagiarized AND distorted from approximately 10 Gospels (4 of them are in the canonical Bible).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, back to your question:

Is the story of Suleiman as depicted in the Quran based on a Jewish bed-time story for children? That's what I want to know.

No. The neutral atheistic view is that it was plagiarized AND distorted from Rabbinical traditions like Midrash and Kabbalah (Jewish religious texts, beside the Hebrew Bible).

This is from Kabbalah:

Early adherents of the Kabbalah portray Solomon as having sailed through the air on a throne of light placed on an eagle, which brought him near the heavenly gates as well as to the dark mountains behind which the fallen angels Uzza and Azzael were chained; the eagle would rest on the chains, and Solomon, using the magic ring, would compel the two angels to reveal every mystery he desired to know. Solomon is also portrayed as forcing demons to take Solomon's friends, including Hiram, on day return trips to hell.

Solomon's throne according to Rabbinical tradition:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon#Throne

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #366 - February 16, 2010, 04:01 PM

Here's a nice wiki article to read... a good starting point to learn about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #367 - February 16, 2010, 04:43 PM

DB

Is Islam a heretical Christian group?

I know we are entering the land of crazy now but there is something odd here. Something doesn't make sense.

Either the Quran is the actual truth, the reality. Everything included in it, from Allah, to Prophecies, to Miracles, to Judgment Day, Jinn, protection against Evil Eye and Magic. Or it's a load of bollocks.

Something is off. There is no objective history, noting from the present. Not even the Quran was codified during Mohammed's life-time.

We seem to disagree on many point about the history and environment of Mecca and Medina.

The earliest biography was written 100 years after Mohammed. And the one we have today has been modified. Tabari never did any sorting, he brought in everything in his history. He was not alive during Mohammed.

The Quran was codified 20 years after Mohammed's death.

In Mecca and Medina there were Christians and Arabs. Coptic Christian Egypt existed and had translated the Bible in Coptic. Mecca was a trade-route, but I doubt a major one.

I mean I'm just trying to figure this shit out. Something is off. There has to be a middle-way between the various histories of Islam's origins.

One crazy end, Islam is a heretical Christian group.

Second crazy end, Islam has been infiltrated and the hadiths and sira spread by people with malicious intents.

Third crazy end, Islam is true. Not corrupted in any shape or form.

I mean where the fuck is God in all this? What's he doing really? Sending prophets and it still gets messed up, and there's no head or tail of anything.
     Reply #368 - February 16, 2010, 04:50 PM

Some actually view it as such.

Reply #369 - February 16, 2010, 04:53 PM

DB, Is Islam a heretical Christian group?

No, he believes Chritianity is a heretical Muslim group Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #370 - February 16, 2010, 05:00 PM

More questions.

Why is the history of Islam not documented in the Quran?

Why is the life of Mohammed not documented in the Quran?

Why is there so much more info on other prophets? All of them biblical. Way more than about the life of Mohammed?

Why so little on Mecca?

Why is Medina not mentioned?

Is this not strange? This companions and wives of Mohammed are not mentioned by name in the Quran.

How can we be 100% certain Mohammed existed? Umar, Uthman, Abu-Bakr, Ali etc. I know this sounds crazy but seriously. Outside Islamic sources, which themselves were written down generations afterward, is there any objective history and truth about the origins of Islam and Mohammed? If not then how do we know what we know today. Can we even use that word? To know?

I don't want to sound like I'm on the on the crazy train, sipping Kool-Aid but I am really confused now. Everything given to me I have taken for granted. Most of us here. How do we KNOW if any of it is actually true?
     Reply #371 - February 16, 2010, 05:08 PM

@ BD

Muhammed was a merchant and he probably knew basic foreign language to enable him to communicate but not to the extent that would enable him to study various texts (he was an illiterate, anyway) or understand various accounts re-told in front of him in foreign languages so that he might make up his own version.

Either Muhammed was a multi-lingual scholar OR some mysterious Arab dude took it upon himself to teach Muhammed various Biblical texts.

I believe, like ALL Muslims believe, the Hadith has been heavily corrupted. There were 2,000,000 Hadith circulating when people like Bukhari decided to clean up Hadith.

As for Quran, it was compiled within only 20 years of the prophet's death by men who were closest to him... the chances of being corrupted are thus slim.

HOWEVER, one of the things that made me re-consider Quran after I apostated is the fact that it vehemently rejects the slightest notions of blasphemy. It's extremely strict version of monotheism is prevalent all over... Total submission to God's will is very very clear in the Quran. If there was a corruption in the Quran, then surely these very fundamental concepts regarding God have never been tampered with.

Reply #372 - February 16, 2010, 05:09 PM

I would also like a study on the earliest written documents of Quran. Everything found. I want a study done with the same scrutiny the Biblical scholars studied Biblical sources. I want free pass into Saudi and near lying areas for archeological excavations.

I want a study of the sources studying the words and phrases. Does it seem to come from the same person? The way the sentences are put together etc. The terminology etc.

Anybody saying that Biblical scholarship does not match up to Islamic scholarship is in error I think. Since there are laws against blasphemy in Muslim countries how on Earth will we ever undiscover the truth. More to the point, the Golden age of Islam died 14th, 15th century. While Biblical scholarship started in a major fashion in the 11th and 12th century and continued for a long while, was disrupted and then continued again in the 17th and 18th century.
     Reply #373 - February 16, 2010, 05:16 PM

@ BD

Muhammed was a merchant and he probably knew basic foreign language to enable him to communicate but not to the extent that would enable him to study various texts (he was an illiterate, anyway) or understand various accounts re-told in front of him in foreign languages so that he might make up his own version.

Either Muhammed was a multi-lingual scholar OR some mysterious Arab dude took it upon himself to teach Muhammed various Biblical texts.

I believe, like ALL Muslims believe, the Hadith has been heavily corrupted. There were 2,000,000 Hadith circulating when people like Bukhari decided to clean up Hadith.

As for Quran, it was compiled within only 20 years of the prophet's death by men who were closest to him... the chances of being corrupted are thus slim.

HOWEVER, one of the things that made me re-consider Quran after I apostated is the fact that it vehemently rejects the slightest notions of blasphemy. It's extremely strict version of monotheism is prevalent all over... Total submission to God's will is very very clear in the Quran. If there was a corruption in the Quran, then surely these very fundamental concepts regarding God have never been tampered with.

I disagree with several points raised.

First not one teacher but several teachers, and not necessarily all of them of Arab origins. Slavery and merchants where abound in that area. From other parts of the world. In fact the pagans made that claim against Mohammad that he has a teacher who teaches him during night. You know the passage. Please read this article as well for more information:

http://www.turandursun.net/en/criticism/muhammads-teachers.html

Second it is not clear whether ummi meant illiterate as in can't read and write OR as in gentile. There are several hadiths where it slips that he wrote.

Third hadiths were removed agree. Not trust worthy all the time agreed. But which ones? How do we know? Plenty of them refer to Quranic verses for example. Events that explain them.

Fourth
    That's inference. Sure, it could mean less chance. But chance still. And we can't know because the documents were burned. Why would you burn something if there was no major difference? Or even few differences? This whole episode is iffy.

Fifth
    Not true, there were hanifs before Mohammed. The area was already going through change. The Quran makes the polytheism question look larger than life. I think people were moving towards Monotheism regardless of Mohammed. In fact it's more likely he was influnced by other Monotheists growing up.
     Reply #374 - February 16, 2010, 05:24 PM

@ BD

OK, let's consider the account of the fall of Satan for example... this account is one of the earliest revelations claimed by Muhammed... Does it match the Bible? No. It matches (to some extent) the book: Life of Adam and Eve.

What do we know about this book?

The ancient versions of the Life of Adam and Eve are: the Greek Apocalypse of Moses, the Latin Life of Adam and Eve, the Slavonic Life of Adam and Eve, the Armenian Penitence of Adam, the Georgian Book of Adam,[1] and one or two fragmentary Coptic versions. --> all of these are foreign languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Adam_and_Eve

So at least as far as this story is concerned, Muhammed couldn't have known it except from someone who had knowledge of this book and voluntarily taught him about it... why? And what about the other stories?

Anyway, this needs a big research effort.. I might be interested one day to try to do it... but so far, like I said before, when it came to God, the Quran persistently avoided any sort of blasphemy or lenience regarding monotheism.

Reply #375 - February 16, 2010, 05:34 PM

DB

I think the hint is in the Coptic fragments. I'm just speculating but I think there might be a connection between the Coptic scriptures and the Quran.

Your second point, not sure I understand. You mean this is a sign that the book was not corrupted? I agree Islamic monotheism is pretty damn strong. In fact my only problem with is the regular theistic arguments but more importantly the question of the Throne, and the angles lifting it. And God's face and hand.

Also, are you saying Jews are not hard-line monotheists? And I don't think a Christian would say they are polytheists, in fact I think this comment would infuriate them. I'm pretty sure they believe in one God. The aspects of Trinity are just facets of God.

In fact, if you quote Jacob wrestling with God (some say it was an angel) as blasphemous they might claim it to be mythical and metaphorical. Just like you would claim the Throne and Face/Hands to be metaphorical and poetic. Who ever wrote the Quran did not understand Judaism and Christianity as in depth as Jewish and Christian understanding. That's why I find it hard to believe that it was the Same God that revealed the same message to all religions and that it was this God that revealed it to Mohammed.

I think rather that Mohammad did not understand the religions too well. And was making politically charged statements when he spoke about the Trinity or Ezra being worshiped etc.
     Reply #376 - February 16, 2010, 06:13 PM

BD,

First off, I took a quick look at the link you provided.
    http://www.turandursun.net/en/criticism/muhammads-teachers.html

So acording to Tabari, Muhammed owned learned slaves who could read. First off, like you know Tabari included stories in his book without scrutinizing them, but let's assume this is true. The problem is: if you take all the stories in the Quran, then from an atheistic point of view, they have been plagarized AND distorted from *many many sources*. So did he have numerous learned people who just so happened to believe in many texts including these that were not part of the commonly accepted version of the Bible? What are the chances for this to happen? Almost nil.

Second it is not clear whether ummi meant illiterate as in can't read and write OR as in gentile. There are several hadiths where it slips that he wrote.

Ummi means illiterate... Umami means gentile... some Quranists mix the two because they can't accept that the prophet was Ummi, but the fact is Umami is NOT the same as Ummi.

Fourth
    That's inference. Sure, it could mean less chance. But chance still. And we can't know because the documents were burned. Why would you burn something if there was no major difference? Or even few differences? This whole episode is iffy.

Regardless of whether that there were 7 versions of the Quran is true or not, the story says that these were all saying the same exact thing with very slight differences in the wording... When people started mixing the versions together Uthman burned 6 versions and kept one.. .like I said I'm not sure this story is true but even if it is true, the story does NOT say the versions were different but rather the differences were very trivial.

Third hadiths were removed agree. Not trust worthy all the time agreed. But which ones? How do we know? Plenty of them refer to Quranic verses for example. Events that explain them.

I agree that the Quranic verses referring to events that took place in Mecca/Medina are very abstract. It's like listening in on a conversation between two people without knowing the background. This, however, does NOT necessarily mean that all Hadiths that are claimed to provide the background for these verses are correct. In fact, many of such Hadiths contradict each other.

Your second point, not sure I understand. You mean this is a sign that the book was not corrupted? I agree Islamic monotheism is pretty damn strong. In fact my only problem with is the regular theistic arguments but more importantly the question of the Throne, and the angles lifting it. And God's face and hand.

I know Shia have a problem with God's face/hand but this could be metaphorical (as Shia/Mutazilites believe).

Also, are you saying Jews are not hard-line monotheists?

No... my objection to the Hebrew Bible is the numerous blasphemous accounts. But then again, blasphemy is viewed by some as not so hard-line monotheism.

And I don't think a Christian would say they are polytheists, in fact I think this comment would infuriate them. I'm pretty sure they believe in one God. The aspects of Trinity are just facets of God.

In fact, there is NO trinity in the Bible.  Jesus, in the Bible, NEVER asked anyone to worship him... this is a church doctorine.

In fact, if you quote Jacob wrestling with God (some say it was an angel) as blasphemous they might claim it to be mythical and metaphorical. Just like you would claim the Throne and Face/Hands to be metaphorical and poetic.

What about God LITERALLY fighting with the Jews? Did you check the links? What about Him visiting Abraham and drinking and eating from his feast? Did you check the links? I can go on forever giving you examples of blasphemy from the Bible.

Who ever wrote the Quran did not understand Judaism and Christianity as in depth as Jewish and Christian understanding. That's why I find it hard to believe that it was the Same God that revealed the same message to all religions and that it was this God that revealed it to Mohammed.
    I think rather that Mohammad did not understand the religions too well. And was making politically charged statements when he spoke about the Trinity or Ezra being worshiped etc.

Like I said, the trinity does NOT exist in the Bible... it's a simple phrase that was grossly extrapolated into the full blown doctorine of the trinity. Anyway, God in the Quran is speaking from His point of view... if you say Jesus is God, then you are a disbeliever.. if you prayed to Mary/the Saints for intercession, like the Cathloics did, then you're making them lesser gods. Prayer is to God alone. No one is allowed to pray to anyone not even for intercession... I have discussed this in detail, in a Shia forum, by the way.  

Reply #377 - February 16, 2010, 06:37 PM

@ BD

More questions.

Why is the history of Islam not documented in the Quran?

Why is the life of Mohammed not documented in the Quran?

Why is there so much more info on other prophets? All of them biblical. Way more than about the life of Mohammed?

Why so little on Mecca?

Why is Medina not mentioned?

Is this not strange? This companions and wives of Mohammed are not mentioned by name in the Quran.

The Quran is *mainly* a book about God... most of the verses, including stories about prophets, are meant to convey messages about the relationship between man (slave) and God (master)... sure there are verses regarding rituals, what's allowed and what's forbidden, some even discuss aspects of the Islamic penal code, but the majority of the verses are about man's relationship with God and what will happen to man after his certain death, regardless of how long he lived.

How can we be 100% certain Mohammed existed? Umar, Uthman, Abu-Bakr, Ali etc. I know this sounds crazy but seriously. Outside Islamic sources, which themselves were written down generations afterward, is there any objective history and truth about the origins of Islam and Mohammed? If not then how do we know what we know today. Can we even use that word? To know?

I don't want to sound like I'm on the on the crazy train, sipping Kool-Aid but I am really confused now. Everything given to me I have taken for granted. Most of us here. How do we KNOW if any of it is actually true?

Ok, I myself, if I were to take it solely upon history, I would have NEVER believed Muhammed existed... there's no way to prove it.

Only by belief I think he existed... In a way, I'm like Jeffrey Lang in the sense that I accept Quran because the Quranic version of God is what makes sense to me.   

Reply #378 - February 16, 2010, 06:55 PM

Like I said, the trinity does NOT exist in the Bible... it's a simple phrase that was grossly extrapolated into the full blown doctorine of the trinity. Anyway, God in the Quran is speaking from His point of view... if you say Jesus is God, then you are a disbeliever.. if you prayed to Mary/the Saints for intercession, like the Cathloics did, then you're making them lesser gods. Prayer is to God alone. No one is allowed to pray to anyone not even for intercession... I have discussed this in detail, in a Shia forum, by the way.  

How did that go?  Cheesy
     Reply #379 - February 16, 2010, 06:57 PM

@ BD

The Quran is *mainly* a book about God... most of the verses, including stories about prophets, are meant to convey messages about the relationship between man (slave) and God (master)... sure there are verses regarding rituals, what's allowed and what's forbidden, some even discuss aspects of the Islamic penal code, but the majority of the verses are about man's relationship with God and what will happen to man after his certain death, regardless of how long he lived.

Ok, I myself, if I were to take it solely upon history, I would have NEVER believed Muhammed existed... there's no way to prove it.

Only by belief I think he existed... In a way, I'm like Jeffrey Lang in the sense that I accept Quran because the Quranic version of God is what makes sense to me.   

And just like Jeffery Lang you've had a shaky relationship with religion. This might be personal question, but was your venture into Islam and back into Islam an emotional one?
     Reply #380 - February 16, 2010, 07:24 PM

I accept Quran because the Quranic version of God is what makes sense to me.

Clearly what makes sense to one person does not make sense to another, Debunker.

For me, the Qur'anic very graphic emphasis on an eternal and excessively cruel torture makes no sense no matter what angle one comes at it.

Nor does your claim of a God who would create mankind for Hell.

Frankly if such a God does actually exist he is a thing of nightmares - a monster to be feared.
     Reply #381 - February 16, 2010, 07:27 PM

How did that go?  Cheesy

I was banned Smiley well, they didn't exactly ban me, but they stopped me from posting.

Reply #382 - February 16, 2010, 07:28 PM

And just like Jeffery Lang you've had a shaky relationship with religion. This might be personal question, but was your venture into Islam and back into Islam an emotional one?

elaborate? What do you mean by emotional? Anyway, unlike Lang, I was NEVER an atheist.

Reply #383 - February 16, 2010, 07:29 PM

Clearly what makes sense to one person does not make sense to another, Debunker.

For me, the Qur'anic very graphic emphasis on an eternal and excessively cruel torture makes no sense no matter what angle one comes at it.

Nor does your claim of a God who would create mankind for Hell.

Frankly if such a God does actually exist he is a thing of nightmares - a monster to be feared.

yes, Hassan I know how strongly you feel about this, but like you said: what makes sense to one person does not make sense to another.

Reply #384 - February 16, 2010, 07:34 PM

I'm curious though, Hassan... when did Hell become an issue for you? was it aways an issue and then you decided to face your doubts?

Reply #385 - February 16, 2010, 07:40 PM

I'm curious though, Hassan... when did Hell become an issue for you? was it aways an issue and then you decided to face your doubts?

It was always an issue. But I tried to argue it was not meant to be taken literally but was a metaphor for the pain and suffering we will feel as a result of hurting others. A metaphor for the fact that we must face and see what we have done to others through the eyes of those we hurt. We will see the perspectives of others - since we are all really one - and hurting others is hurting ourselves.

When I lost any reason to hang on to Islam - when it ceased to offer me that comfort zone - that love and security - that sense of meaning and direction - I came to realise how much my view of Hell was in fact just my own creation.

The reality of Hell in the Qur'an stared starkly at me and it was disgusting.

It reflected a God that was worse than most human beings.
     Reply #386 - February 16, 2010, 07:43 PM

Hell, in the Quran is quite literal.. I don't know how you could think of it as metaphorical...

It reflected a God that was worse than most human beings.

not even the worst of the worst humans (or even demons) would torture their worst enemies for eternity in Hell.

Reply #387 - February 16, 2010, 07:46 PM

Hell, in the Quran is quite literal.. I don't know how you could think of it as metaphorical...
    not even the worst of the worst humans (or even demons) would torture their worst enemies for eternity in Hell.

Indeed!

Then why do you believe in it, Debunker?

How do you square that with a God who claims to be Arham arRahimeen?
     Reply #388 - February 16, 2010, 07:51 PM

Indeed!

Then why do you believe in it, Debunker?

How do you square that with a God who claims to be Arham arRahimeen?

That's the point I tried to explain in our discussion in the Exclusive Rooms... God is NOT a human. I don't project my human understanding of the word "mercy" when it's attributed to God... i explained in detail in that discussion but unfortunately you were not interested AT ALL.

Reply #389 - February 16, 2010, 07:57 PM

I think Hassan understood it but it's you who is not seeing it clearly Debunker. If you wrote a dictionary the word mercy would have two entries for it.

That's how you get around it, you have a dualistic mind. Anything negative towards God or Islam gets veered off.

Sure I can also think the way you do. God is too magnificent to understand. But is this really the way to proceed? I know there is a limit to my understanding. But have you really reached the limits of your understanding when it comes to the subjects we discuss and more importantly the subjects we disagree on, such as hell fire and mercy?

And when the hands of men have been involved around the Quran does it not warrant extra scrutiny? This question of God's existence?
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 15 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »