Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:32 AM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Story of Sulayman

(Read 83821 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Story of Sulayman
     Reply #450 - February 24, 2010, 04:27 PM

4- An earthly creature could pretty much be anything in my honest opinion - perhaps a creature that lives in the ground - there are quite a lot of these - ferrets, meerkats, naked mole-rats etc.''

Thanks - I was being a bit to lazy to check what animals you named.

OK, so let's assume it was a ferret, meerkat, or a naked mole-rat.

OK let's just take another look at the verses

They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches, images, basons as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of David, with thanks! but few of My servants are grateful!"

Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task). (34.13/14)

So to Summarize the Jinn worked for Sulayman. Then he died but the Jinn were unaware of it and the only thing that showed them he had died was a creature of the earth that ate his stick. The Jinn realised what had happened and if they had known before they would not have stayed working so hard and painfully. (Azab)

OK what do you think this means if it doesn't mean he was leaning on his stick?

How long did it take for the ferret to eat the stick?
     Reply #451 - February 24, 2010, 04:30 PM

btw no worries about leaving and coming back - I do that all the time.
     Reply #452 - February 24, 2010, 05:52 PM

''OK what do you think this means if it doesn't mean he was leaning on his stick?''

He may have been leaning on his stick - but we don't know. What else could the verse be referring to? - I honestly feel I'd be wasting my time speculating - sorry!

''How long did it take for the ferret to eat the stick?''
    I don't know maybe we should conduct an experiment - I'm sure though that a mole-rat or a meerkat or a number of other creatures that live in the ground (i.e. an earthly creature) could eat away at a stick so that it would break within a few hours.

tbh Hassan I feel a bit silly at speculating at these things - I hope you're going somewhere with this.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #453 - February 24, 2010, 06:39 PM

''OK what do you think this means if it doesn't mean he was leaning on his stick?''

He may have been leaning on his stick - but we don't know. What else could the verse be referring to? - I honestly feel I'd be wasting my time speculating - sorry!

''How long did it take for the ferret to eat the stick?''
    I don't know maybe we should conduct an experiment - I'm sure though that a mole-rat or a meerkat or a number of other creatures that live in the ground (i.e. an earthly creature) could eat away at a stick so that it would break within a few hours.

tbh Hassan I feel a bit silly at speculating at these things - I hope you're going somewhere with this.

But this is not meaningless speculation - we are trying to find out what the Qur'an means. Or are you suggesting parts of the Qur'an don't mean anything?  Or their meaning cannot be understood?

So do you agree leaning on a stick is the only thing that makes sense? If it doesn't mean that then what could it mean that makes more sense? Does this verse make no sense?

As for the ferret eating the stick in a few hours - OK let's say it ate it in a few hours. Here's the scene:

The Jinn are suffering a painful and humiliating work. Sulayman then dies and a few hours later falls down and the Jinn see him.

Now the Qur'an says: "when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty"

The word is labitha - that means stayed a long time. Is a few hours a long time?

So you are saying the Jinn saw him after a few hours and said "OMG if ONLY we had known we wouldn't have stayed in this humiliating painful work - we could have knocked off a few hours early!"

Tell me honestly, doesn't it sound like the Jinn had been toiling a lot longer than a few hours? After all that is what makes this whole verse extraordinary. It is within the realms of possibility that one might not notice a dead person for a few hours - that has happened many times. There is nothing extraordinary about that. No-one would question themselves: "If only we knew the unseen."

And if God can send a ferret to eat a stick in a few hours - why is that anymore believable than an insect eating it over days?

btw creature of the earth implies a small insect - that is certainly how all the tafseers and linguists understood it.

Tell me truthfully do you reject the idea of an insect eating the stick in a few days (or more) because you find it unsupported by the text of the Qur'an - or because you personally find it a bit silly?

Also tell me honestly do you find the idea of a ferret eating it in a few hours better supported by the text of the Qur'an - or is it because that might make more sense to you?

Is it really the text that you follow or what makes more sense to you, Abu Yunus?
     Reply #454 - February 24, 2010, 07:58 PM

Ferrets don't eat sticks. Could it have been a beaver? I think the idea is that the Jinn didn't notice anything unusual about him standing there leaning still on a stick for the time they were working. Let's say that we can accept  that someone can die standing up while leaning on a stick and stay upright.  A ferret showing up and gnawing on the guy's cane for 3 hours and he doesn't even twitch until he falls over? That would be a complete giveaway that there is something wrong with the overseeer. The alleged stick chewer must been unseen to the naked eye.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #455 - February 24, 2010, 08:12 PM

The alleged stick chewer must been unseen to the naked eye.

Is your first name Sherlock?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #456 - February 24, 2010, 08:50 PM

Why were the jinns penalised? And where there any jinns who were not enslaved by Sulayman? Why would an omnibenevolent god allow Sulayman to torture jinns? That just seems cruel. This probably have been answered before, but I could not find it in the first few pages, and it would take a great deal of time to crawl through an almost 30 pages thread. This really had me intrigued. Even as a muslim, I would have wanted to know the background for enslaving and torturing jinns. Are they purely bad beings? Then why create them at all?
     Reply #457 - February 24, 2010, 08:59 PM

A ferret showing up and gnawing on the guy's cane for 3 hours and he doesn't even twitch...

You'd have thought they would realise something is going on, wouldn't you?

They can bring a chair in a blink of an eye, but don't find it strange seeing a ferret gnawing away at Sulayman's stick.

Then when he falls down a few hours later they say "Damn if ONLY we had known he died a few hours ago... it would have been so much better! We really are stupid and God really is great the way he showed us up like this"

Nice one God  Afro
     Reply #458 - February 24, 2010, 09:03 PM

Look, its all one big fairy tale. Smell the coffee AbuY.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #459 - February 24, 2010, 09:04 PM

@ Balthier

show me the verse where it says *Solomon* actually tortured anyone.

PS. demons (devils) were tortured by God not Jinn in general.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #460 - February 24, 2010, 09:04 PM

Why were the jinns penalised? And where there any jinns who were not enslaved by Sulayman? Why would an omnibenevolent god allow Sulayman to torture jinns? That just seems cruel. This probably have been answered before, but I could not find it in the first few pages, and it would take a great deal of time to crawl through an almost 30 pages thread. This really had me intrigued. Even as a muslim, I would have wanted to know the background for enslaving and torturing jinns. Are they purely bad beings? Then why create them at all?

It is a question I alluded to in my video - yes it seems very cruel - why should God allow this?

Maybe they were nasty Jinn - perhaps God wanted Sulayman to be a sort of Head Guard of a Jinn Convict Colony.

They were all set to work to make, build, work and slave away.

Sadly God made all these things disappear once Sulayman died.

Shame - I bet Jinn Architecture  would be quite prized now if it hadn't gone "Puff!".

(Please note Debunker and Abu Yunus - I am mocking the story - not you - the story is fair game to mock imho.)
     Reply #461 - February 24, 2010, 09:11 PM

@ Hassan, actually the Quran said God tortured Devils (demons)... it never said Solomon tortured Jinns.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #462 - February 24, 2010, 09:16 PM

@ Hassan, actually the Quran said God tortured Devils (demons)... it never said Solomon tortured Jinns.

To me the implication clear that it is Sulayman who is in charge of what was going on.

For example look at the verses we are talking about above - and tell me truthfully that Sulayman was not - at the very least - forcing these Jinn work in "Hard/Painful Labour" and "Humiliating" them?

يَعْمَلُونَ لَهُ مَا يَشَاءُ مِنْ مَحَارِيبَ وَتَمَاثِيلَ وَجِفَانٍ كَالْجَوَابِ وَقُدُورٍ رَاسِيَاتٍ اعْمَلُوا آلَ دَاوُودَ شُكْرًا وَقَلِيلٌ مِنْ عِبَادِيَ الشَّكُورُ

فَلَمَّا قَضَيْنَا عَلَيْهِ الْمَوْتَ مَا دَلَّهُمْ عَلَىٰ مَوْتِهِ إِلَّا دَابَّةُ الْأَرْضِ تَأْكُلُ مِنْسَأَتَهُ فَلَمَّا خَرَّ تَبَيَّنَتِ الْجِنُّ أَنْ لَوْ كَانُوا يَعْلَمُونَ الْغَيْبَ مَا لَبِثُوا فِي الْعَذَابِ الْمُهِينِ

SHAKIR: They made for him what he pleased of fortresses and images, and bowls (large) as watering-troughs and cooking-pots that will not move from their place; give thanks, O family of Dawood! and very few of My servants are grateful.
SHAKIR: But when We decreed death for him, naught showed them his death but a creature of the earth that ate away his staff; and when it fell down, the jinn came to know plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in abasing torment.

مَا لَبِثُوا فِي الْعَذَابِ الْمُهِينِ

They would not have remained in The humiliating penalty/torment/torture.

Reply #463 - February 24, 2010, 09:27 PM

This is like dissecting Lord of the Rings. Except, people take it dead serious.

OMG ARE YOU COMPARING A WORK OF FICTION TO A RELIGIOUS AND HOLY SCRIPTURE?

erm yes?

THAT'S BLASPHEMY!!

Blasphemy? oed says it means irreverent talk about God or sacred things.

YES! IT'S WRONG!!

But why? Because it's sacred? OED says: connected with a deity and so deserving veneration; holy. Isn't that crazy. Do you treat all deity's with respect and deserving veneration?

Of course not! Some of them are just wrong and false and stupid!

What makes you say that? How can you be so sure?

Because.. listen to them! They venerate a holy cow. I mean mooooooooo! ROFL TOSSERS!

Well you venerate a holy virgin that became pregnant from a holy spirit, and invisible one and nobody saw this happen.

Erm there is proof. Because she was PREGNANT and GAVE BIRTH TO BABY JESUS! IT WAS A MIRACLE!

So next time a 14 year old girl comes along and is pregnant and she says the father is God. You'll believe her?

OF COURSE NOT! She's obviously lying and ashamed because she's a little slut and doesn't know who the daddy is.

Well there is no need for name calling and you don't know the story, maybe she was in love and he ditched her.

It serves her right she should have been married like a good little girl.

You mean like how the holy virgin was married? Did God make her an adulterer? Or a fornicator perhaps?

THAT'S BLASPHEMY!! You are fucking rude and disgusting and I  can't wait to see you burn in hell. It will be so nice to see you boiling away like a damn.. like a damn wart!! How dare you say God had sex? With a human!! I mean how dare you!!!

Well how did it happen!

I TOLD YOU he BREATHED His SPIRIT into HER. Why is so hard to understand?

And that created an embryo? And sperm fertilized the egg? Who's DNA is it?

THAT'S BLASPHEMY!! How dare you twist science to disprove my religion!

But I haven't done any of the sort..

LIAR!

OK well maybe I am

I KNEW IT!!

Let me finish. But you don't think it's a reasonable question

Reason has nothing to do with this!

I agree.

What?!

I agree.

Oh you're being a smart ass. Faith is all you need to be saved. And your gonna boil in hell like a festering wart. Along with SCIENCE.

THAT'S BLASPHEMY!

WHAT? Don't be ridiculous. Science is not a religion! Tosser!

Is so. Science is my religion and my faith and I feel unjustifiably insulted. Please don't be a philistine.

Being a racist won't help your cause!!

What?!

Calling me an Arab as a derogatory statement is not helping your cause. What kind of religion lets be so rude. It deserves to be burned in hell for all eternity along with all its believers.  

*sigh* You win.

LOL please you don't need to state the obvious. Tosser!
     Reply #464 - February 24, 2010, 09:27 PM

but hassan, demons ARE Jinn... I'll look up the other verses.. I'm sure the Quran referred to them as "Shayatin"...

Reply #465 - February 24, 2010, 09:33 PM

but hassan, demons ARE Jinn... I'll look up the other verses.. I'm sure the Quran referred to them as "Shayatin"...

So you are suggesting these were bad Jinn who deserved to be punished? (There are good Jinn as well as bad Jinn.)

What evidence is there to say they were bad Jinn? Did Sulayman only have bad Jinn  working for him?

When Sulayman died, did they all escape?

Reply #466 - February 24, 2010, 09:34 PM

Here they are Hassan.

Surah Prophets
    وَمِنَ الشَّيَاطِينِ مَن يَغُوصُونَ لَهُ وَيَعْمَلُونَ عَمَلًا دُونَ ذَلِكَ وَكُنَّا لَهُمْ حَافِظِينَ «82»

Surah Sad
      فَسَخَّرْنَا لَهُ الرِّيحَ تَجْرِي بِأَمْرِهِ رُخَاء حَيْثُ أَصَابَ «36»  وَالشَّيَاطِينَ كُلَّ بَنَّاء وَغَوَّاصٍ «37»  وَآخَرِينَ مُقَرَّنِينَ فِي الْأَصْفَادِ «38»

Surah Saba
    وَلِسُلَيْمَانَ الرِّيحَ غُدُوُّهَا شَهْرٌ وَرَوَاحُهَا شَهْرٌ وَأَسَلْنَا لَهُ عَيْنَ الْقِطْرِ وَمِنَ الْجِنِّ مَن يَعْمَلُ بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِ وَمَن يَزِغْ مِنْهُمْ عَنْ أَمْرِنَا نُذِقْهُ مِنْ عَذَابِ السَّعِيرِ «12»

So it is God who tortures the bad Jinn ... and you know that according to Islam Demons are bad Jinn.

Reply #467 - February 24, 2010, 09:41 PM

Surah Saba
    وَلِسُلَيْمَانَ الرِّيحَ غُدُوُّهَا شَهْرٌ وَرَوَاحُهَا شَهْرٌ وَأَسَلْنَا لَهُ عَيْنَ الْقِطْرِ وَمِنَ الْجِنِّ مَن يَعْمَلُ بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِ
     وَمَن يَزِغْ مِنْهُمْ عَنْ أَمْرِنَا نُذِقْهُ مِنْ عَذَابِ السَّعِيرِ «12»

So it is God who tortures the bad Jinn ... and you know that according to Islam Demons are bad Jinn.

The last one says Jinn and says only those who disobeyed were punished.

btw I have no idea if they were bad or good Jinn - or even if all Jinn are Shaytans?

I was saying he did torture them, now you seem to have accepted that.

If your claim is now that they were bad and deserved it - I would say - if you say so Smiley But I don't see a strong reason why you should think so.
     Reply #468 - February 24, 2010, 09:42 PM

Come on Hassan! The verse says *God* tortured them when they disobeyed... the verses are clear...

Reply #469 - February 24, 2010, 09:45 PM

Come on Hassan! The verse says *God* tortured them when they disobeyed... the verses are clear...

So are you saying that the ones doing the painful humiliating work just before Sulayman died were being punished by God also?

Did he have any good Jinn - or were they all bad?

Reply #470 - February 24, 2010, 09:50 PM

So are you saying that the ones doing the painful humiliating work just before Sulayman died were being punished also?

Yes.

Did he have any good Jinn - or were they all bad?

He had both (there were Jinns in his court, the one who got the Queen's throne in an eye blink, for example, was a good Jinn).

Reply #471 - February 24, 2010, 09:59 PM

Yes

So what makes you say it was God punishing them?  The verse says they are working for Sulayman building what he likes and only knew he was dead when he dropped down. That suggests to me that they are working under Sulayman's orders? No?  So how is this God who is making them suffer a "painful humiliation"?

And how do you know they are Bad Jinn?

Reply #472 - February 24, 2010, 10:08 PM

So what makes you say it was God punishing them?  The verse says they are working for Sulayman building what he likes and only knew he was dead when he dropped down. That suggests to me that they are working under Sulayman's orders? No?

They are working under Solomon's orders... and their work cut out for them was hulimiating and punishing because they were evil (DEVILS).

So how is this God who is making them suffer a "painful humiliation"?

God is making defiant Jinn (Devils) humiliated by being made servants to a human and those who rebelled against this were tortured by God Himself.

And how do you know they are Bad Jinn?

Because other verses referred to them as DEVILS:

Surah Prophets
    وَمِنَ الشَّيَاطِينِ مَن يَغُوصُونَ لَهُ وَيَعْمَلُونَ عَمَلًا دُونَ ذَلِكَ وَكُنَّا لَهُمْ حَافِظِينَ «82»

Surah Sad
      فَسَخَّرْنَا لَهُ الرِّيحَ تَجْرِي بِأَمْرِهِ رُخَاء حَيْثُ أَصَابَ «36»  وَالشَّيَاطِينَ كُلَّ بَنَّاء وَغَوَّاصٍ «37» وَآخَرِينَ مُقَرَّنِينَ فِي الْأَصْفَادِ «38»

So these verses are saying it was God who was keeping them in line...

In the other verse, keeping them line was explained to be God torturing them whenever they disobeyed.

Reply #473 - February 24, 2010, 10:20 PM

They are working under Solomon's orders... and their work cut out for them was hulimiating and punishing because they were evil (DEVILS).

God is making defiant Jinn (Devils) humiliated by being made servants to a human and those who rebelled against this were tortured by God Himself.

Even if that is true, it is Sulayman who is doing the punishing on behalf of God. No?

Because other verses referred to them as DEVILS:

Surah Prophets

Surah Sad
      فَسَخَّرْنَا لَهُ الرِّيحَ تَجْرِي بِأَمْرِهِ رُخَاء حَيْثُ أَصَابَ «36»  وَالشَّيَاطِينَ كُلَّ بَنَّاء وَغَوَّاصٍ «37» وَآخَرِينَ مُقَرَّنِينَ فِي الْأَصْفَادِ «38»

Maybe... though the verse we are talking about calls them Jinn - not Shayaateen.
     Reply #474 - February 24, 2010, 10:28 PM

Even if that is true, it is Sulayman who is doing the punishing on behalf of God. No?

No... it is God who tortures them when they disobey Solomon.... the bad Jinns (devils) obeyed Solomon because they knew if they didn't God would torture them.

Maybe... though the verse we are talking about calls them Jinn - not Shayaateen.

True, but it didn't say Good Jinn, and in light of the other verses, we know who were being punished, put in line, and chained.. it was devils (bad Jinns).

Reply #475 - February 24, 2010, 10:41 PM

No... it is God who tortures them when they disobey Solomon.... the bad Jinns (devils) obeyed Solomon because they knew if they didn't God would torture them.

OK, but the work Sulayman himself set them was "Humiliating torment" (الْعَذَابِ الْمُهِينِ) - and presumably he didn't treat the 'good' Jinn like this - and I know you are saying they were bad and so deserved to be set hard labour - that's fine - but it is Sulayman who is setting them this hard labour - no?

True, but it didn't say Good Jinn, and in light of the other verses, we know who were being punished, put in line, and chained.. it was devils (bad Jinns).

Hmm... God can be very precise in his wording at times and very sloppy at other times - good thing we know how to interpret what he means correctly.
     Reply #476 - February 24, 2010, 10:45 PM

btw you mentioned the verse that said he had "every type of diver and builder..." which reminded me again of how much building was going on during Sulayman's reign.

Would you agree that there must have been more building work than one "Lofty" palace, for himself?

It would seem a little selfish if Sulayman didn't use these great gifts of builders to build somethings for his people? Houses, bridges, roads, market squares and so on?

Would you agree?
     Reply #477 - February 24, 2010, 10:48 PM

OK, but the work Sulayman himself set them was "Humiliating torment" (الْعَذَابِ الْمُهِينِ) - and presumably he didn't treat the 'good' Jinn like this - and I know you are saying they were bad and so deserved to be set hard labour - that's fine - but it is Sulayman who is setting them this hard labour - no?

It's like when you have a group of convicts and send them to do hard humiliating jobs.. what's big deal? we're talking about Devils here!

Hmm... God can be very precise in his wording at times and very sloppy at other times - good thing we know how to interpret what he means correctly.

Come on Hassan! You know that the Quran uses different wordings in different verses to refer to the same thing.

Reply #478 - February 24, 2010, 10:55 PM

btw you mentioned the verse that said he had "every type of diver and builder..." which reminded me again of how much building was going on during Sulayman's reign.

Would you agree that there must have been more building work than one "Lofty" palace, for himself?

Of course I agree (by the way, I don't agree the "Sarh" mentioned in the verse refers to Solomon's palace.. it refers to the Queens palace/throne moved to Palestine, but yeah, Solomon must have great many buildings for himself).

It would seem a little selfish if Sulayman didn't use these great gifts of builders to build somethings for his people? Houses, bridges, roads, market squares and so on?

Would you agree?

Yes, I agree... I would think Jerusalem was a Jewel during Solmon's rule.... Hmmm? Why do I detect a desire from you to make me dance the *speculative* dance with you again? Smiley

Reply #479 - February 24, 2010, 10:58 PM

It's like when you have a group of convicts and send them to do hard humiliating jobs.. what's big deal? we're talking about Devils here!

That's fine, just wanted to be clear that Sulayman did - at the very least set the naughty Jinn some very painful and humiliating labour.

Come on Hassan! You know that the Quran uses different wordings in different verses to refer to the same thing.

Yes it does indeed - and that can be quite confusing and has led to volumes of debates about what this or that means.

Zamakhsahri used to argue that everything in the Qur'an is worded in such a way for a reason. Would you agree? Or would you say that words are interchanged for no apparent reason?

What reason would God have for using Jinn instead of Shayaateen.
  • Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »