Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 08:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 02:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 01:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: How Many Layers to the Atmosphere?

(Read 6679 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How Many Layers to the Atmosphere?
     OP - June 29, 2009, 02:56 PM

First of all the verse in question is talking about the "Heavens" where the moon, stars and sun are, which makes discussion on how many layers there are irrelevant!

However...

In my video I said that modern science usually specifies 5 layers and not 7.

Harun Yahya and his followers say there are 7 and one guy posted this response to my video:

x955555 (6 hours ago)

I think you will find there is 7 layers:
    1. Troposphere
    2. Stratosphere
    3. Mesosphere
    4. Thermosphere
    5. Exosphere
    6. Ionosphere
    7. Magnetosphere

I replied by saying:

Like I said - there are 5 basic layers. There are other layers that have been identified - up to 13 or 14. But most agree there are 5 basic ones.

Which as far as I know is the truth. Wkipedia for example names 13 layers.

UnsichtbarerGeist (who I respect) then said this in reply to me:

Actually there is just one atmosphere, but you can classify this one atmosphere by different criteria.
    If you partition it by temperature, you get 5 layers. By aerodynamical state 4 layers, by radiophysical state 3 layers and by chemical processes 2 layers. I haven't heard of any classification into 7 layers yet.

And this in response to the first guy:

Thats not correct, because 6. and 7. come from a different classification. If you partition the atmosphere by the temperature, you get 5 layers (your points 1 to 5). If you classify if by the radiophysical state, you get 3 layers: Ionosphere, Plasmapshere, Magnetosphere. There are other classifications too.

You cannot just mix that to get your desired number 7. That would be like saying "there are 4 types of people: White people, Black People, Europeans and Africans".

My challenge to you - if you accept is to find out if there is ANY evidence to support Muslims' claim that there are 7 layers.

If there is - and it is the strongest and most widely held belief amongst scientists in this field then - fine! I will accept it.

I just want to know how many layers are there?Huh??

LOL
     grin12

• Re: How Many Layers to the Atmosphere?
     Reply #1 - June 29, 2009, 03:26 PM

Hass - How has the response been to your latest scientific video, when compared to the others?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - June 29, 2009, 03:57 PM

Well there's been a lot of interest 1,683 views in 4 days and 211 comments in that time. Most have been positive. Some Muslims have called me names - but interestingly none have actually challenged the video apart from the comment I posted above and apart from calling me a liar, or son of a whore blah blah blah...
     Reply #3 - June 29, 2009, 05:45 PM

perhaps two layers have been set up as special infidel free zones ?
     Reply #4 - June 30, 2009, 07:26 AM

Here is an excellent summary that UnsichtbarerGeist just sent me (He has given me permission to post this here.)

Hassan,

i just saw your discussion about the "heavens" on the CoE. This is how i would explain it:

In general there is one atmosphere, but you can partition it as you like it.

You can compare this to europe for example: There is just one europe, but you can partition it by countries, climate zones, areas where ethnic groups live, areas where certain languages are spoken, and so on. Hence, saying that europe has "15 parts" would be a bit stupid - because this number is rather arbitrary. Just take another criterion to get another number.

Now back to the atmosphere: Again, there is just one atmosphere, but it is most common to classify certain regions of the atmosphere as 5 layers (in that context one actually should avoid saying "there ARE 5 layers" but prefer to say "it is common to partition it into 5 layers"). I have also found classifications into fewer layers, but till now no classification into 6 or 7 layers.

For the muslim position it is most important to say, that they cheat to get their 7 layers, because they take 5 layers from a classification by temperature (into 5 layers), and 2 layers from a different classifiction into 2 or 3 layers. In general, in my oppinion it is always much more convincing to show how others cheat to make science fit to their belief, instead of just saying "5 is right, and 7 is wrong" which is in my oppinion. a questionable statement, since the classification can be made a bit arbitrarily.

However, if you want to support the muslim position (without cheating) , all you have to do is to subclassify the atmosphere, until you get your desired 7.

E.g.
    1. troposphere (where we live and where the weather takes place)
    2 Stratosphere 1 /Ozone layer
    3 Stratosphere 2 (without ozone layer)
    4. Mesosphere
    5. Thermosphere
    6 Ionosphere (overlaps with 5 and 7, since it comes from a different classification, but at least fits between those)
    7 Exosphere

You see? Here are your seven layers. Btw. i am converting to islam tomorrow ,-).

But as said, this is relatively arbitrary and not common. You can divide it into 8 or 9 layers as well ;-).

UG
     Reply #5 - June 30, 2009, 08:50 AM

You may have a video refute coming soon Hassan-

afghan303
    Firstly, I don't know who is this guy who is just making up some random videos and who has just a 'lttle' knowldege of islam or "nothing."

If all these Scientists (Non-Muslims) say that these are Miraclee, then I don't see who on earth are you? Some of the Scientists even goes further and Learn Arabic so that they can be 100% sure, and they are still fine with the Glorious Quran. You will soon see a VIDEO RESPONSE to your false videos and your claims and you will look like a fool!!!! Thanks

Tongue

I'm currently watching one of his videos about slavery, so far he is just pointing his finger at Christianity and saying they treat them worse and giving Islam undue credit. The usual bull in any case.
     Reply #6 - June 30, 2009, 09:22 AM

Good - I want to see more video replies! Most Muslims seem to avoid making video replies to my vids.
     Reply #7 - June 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

It would be nice to have a decent reply though.
     Reply #8 - June 30, 2009, 06:32 PM

It would, but really how are they going to make a decent reply? I think the lack of decent replies indicates that none are possible, and this is why intelligent Muslims avoid the attempt. The result is that the only replies come from nutters or idiots.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - June 30, 2009, 06:49 PM

If he had not researched it thoroughly though, you would have soon see them swarm, like flies to  Crap, to point out the mistakes.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - June 30, 2009, 06:57 PM

Exactly. Coming up with a reply that will stand scrutiny is going to be virtually impossible. This is a much more difficult challenge than the "sura like it" challenge. Wink

Reply #11 - August 10, 2009, 12:10 PM

You may have a video refute coming soon Hassan-

If all these Scientists (Non-Muslims) say that these are Miraclee, then I don't see who on earth are you? Some of the Scientists even goes further and Learn Arabic so that they can be 100% sure, and they are still fine with the Glorious Quran. You will soon see a VIDEO RESPONSE to your false videos and your claims and you will look like a fool!!!! Thanks

Who are these scientists he is talking about?
    Those people that the saudis paid in the 80s to come over to their place and read off of a pre-written statement?

Maliki yawm ul LULZ
     Reply #12 - August 10, 2009, 01:41 PM

Who are these scientists he is talking about?
    Those people that the saudis paid in the 80s to come over to their place and read off of a pre-written statement?

Basically, yes!

I think he or someone else made a video listing all the great non-Muslim scientists who supported the idea of miracles in the Qur'an and was basically the names one hears trotted out ad nuseum.
     Reply #13 - August 10, 2009, 02:11 PM

Oh heck! They always trott out a video of some far eastern scientist who shouts out the shahadah at the top of his voice! I think it's and 80's throwback that they keep referring to.
     Reply #14 - August 11, 2009, 09:34 AM

Basically, yes!

I think he or someone else made a video listing all the great non-Muslim scientists who supported the idea of miracles in the Qur'an and was basically the names one hears trotted out ad nuseum.

As with all the out-dated arguements they make.

Maliki yawm ul LULZ
     Reply #15 - August 11, 2009, 07:52 PM

That typo gives me an idea. We could invent the term argumentum ad museum for old arguments that have been trashed a thousand times.  bunny

Reply #16 - August 11, 2009, 08:02 PM

argumentum ad museum

Afro

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »