Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 02:19 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
Today at 08:47 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: As EM, are we Atheist?

(Read 7766 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: As EM, are we Atheist?
     Reply #30 - May 06, 2010, 07:59 PM

It was Spinoza who said they were ex-muslim but subscribing to a different religion. My point was always, if one can escape from a religion, why subscribe to another?
     Reply #31 - May 06, 2010, 08:02 PM

J4m3z: I'm not "hanging onto Islam by a thread" as you say. I don't believe in it any more than I believe in any of the other religions I was brought up in. They are all bollocks. I am atheist. So what's your point now?
     Reply #32 - May 06, 2010, 08:03 PM

sield,

I think I understand what you are getting at.  I personally now use science to decipher what is true and what is baloney.  Why shouldn't we?  It has proven itself to be true by building all the technology around us.  And it has taken us to the moon and built aeroplanes.  And it has done so THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE.  Unlike religion which makes false promises of reward in the afterlife.

So I use science and reason as my compass.  Even on matters of morality.  And by the way sield, remember that Atheists are known to think for themselves, so they don't like being labelled.  (It's like trying to herd cats.) I guess that's why there are so many labels which all deny the existence of God.  Skeptic/Pantheist/Freethinker/Atheist/Agnostic etc etc.   But they all agree that science is the tool that should be used to decide what is true.
    If science doesn't work, improve your science and try again.  Afro

ninurta: why agnostic and not atheist?

Some people are a bit pedantic and don't like the word atheist because it sounds like you are absolutely sure that there is not God, which no one can be of course as Dawkins has said.  But in practice they are atheists.  I call myself an ateapotist, but to be pedantic, I should say teapot-agnostic.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #33 - May 06, 2010, 08:04 PM

If you're all atheist, why are you members of an ex-muslim group? Are you also members of an atheist group?
     Reply #34 - May 06, 2010, 08:07 PM

No. That is often misinterpreted. An agnostic is 50/50 and has looked at the evidence and said, "I'm not sure". An Atheist has looked at the evidence and says "I'm 99.9999% sure. But I can not rule it out. I only have the evidence to go on." An agnostic edges their bets, as in Pascal's wager
     Reply #35 - May 06, 2010, 08:08 PM

But I've never met any fundamentalist Christian agnostics ;-)
     Reply #36 - May 06, 2010, 08:59 PM

ninurta: why agnostic and not atheist?

The difference for me is arbitrary. If you don't really know whether or not there is a god, then you lack belief, therefore making you an atheist.

It is not the way you live your life that is important, it is how well you enjoy it that matters.
     Reply #37 - May 06, 2010, 10:02 PM

If you're all atheist, why are you members of an ex-muslim group? Are you also members of an atheist group?

Welcome to the forum, seild! Smiley I'm an atheist also.
    The form here is not just atheists, but there are also agnostics (like ninurta said, I honestly don't understand the real difference between agnosticism and atheism), deists, muslims and non-muslims too.
    Why are we here in an ex-muslim group? Because many of us can relate to each others past experiences with Islam, some are still muslims, and others are non-muslims enjoy learning about it (not necessarily because they want to convert to it)
    Hope you enjoy this forum! Smiley

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
     Reply #38 - May 06, 2010, 10:05 PM

Erm.. I you read my original post, you will have seen that I was asking why us ex-muslims don't call ourselves Atheist. It was Spinoza who said "not all ex-muslims are atheists" and went on to espouse Buddhism. I was saying, if all religion was bollocks, why leave Islam (or any other) and believe in other shite/

Because not all ex-Muslims are atheist, but more importantly I think because not all atheists are ex-Muslim -- in other words, they don't risk their lives when they apostate. When a group of people are marginalized and criminalized, they tend to unite.

No. That is often misinterpreted. An agnostic is 50/50 and has looked at the evidence and said, "I'm not sure". An Atheist has looked at the evidence and says "I'm 99.9999% sure. But I can not rule it out. I only have the evidence to go on." An agnostic edges their bets, as in Pascal's wager

False. I've already explained this here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=9319.msg258969#msg258969
     Reply #39 - May 07, 2010, 02:46 AM

Interesting, another first intro that appears to be criticizing us and our choice........Thinking hard

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #40 - May 07, 2010, 08:05 AM

Interesting, another first intro that appears to be criticizing us and our choice........Thinking hard

We're probably scaring away the newcomers with this. lol

It is not the way you live your life that is important, it is how well you enjoy it that matters.
     Reply #41 - May 07, 2010, 10:58 AM

It was Spinoza who said they were ex-muslim but subscribing to a different religion. My point was always, if one can escape from a religion, why subscribe to another?

Because not all religions are the same?
     Reply #42 - May 07, 2010, 11:50 AM

I classify myself as an Atheist, but being an Atheist is much easier than being an ex-Muslim, hence why I don't need to join an Atheist group but feel that I need to join an ex-Muslim one.
     Reply #43 - May 07, 2010, 11:53 AM

As 'Ex Muslims', what do we class ourselves as?

Ex-Muslims.
     Reply #44 - May 07, 2010, 05:37 PM

Tut Tut Tut..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #45 - May 07, 2010, 06:09 PM

hi Smiley

I'm a mormon Smiley
     Reply #46 - May 07, 2010, 06:14 PM

As 'Ex Muslims', what do we class ourselves as?

I class myself as an idiot.
     Reply #47 - May 07, 2010, 06:23 PM

I am a disciple of noodley appendages

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #48 - May 07, 2010, 06:25 PM

ROFL.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #49 - May 07, 2010, 06:46 PM

LOL omg you are on a roll
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »