Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Eid Al-Adha
Today at 12:32 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 10:58 AM

Jesus mythicism
by zeca
Yesterday at 10:14 AM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:33 AM

BBC Documentary: Searchin...
by zeca
June 13, 2024, 12:55 PM

France Muslims were in d...
by zeca
June 13, 2024, 10:52 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 11, 2024, 09:35 PM

New Britain
June 10, 2024, 09:25 PM

What happens in these day...
by akay
June 08, 2024, 12:12 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
June 07, 2024, 12:47 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 08:08 AM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 06:12 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Game of Thrones

(Read 119867 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 20 21 2223 24 25 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #630 - May 19, 2015, 08:19 PM

Not really.

Yes you are quite literally.

The quality is much better than season 1 as the the characters are better developed, there are more continents to visit, higher production values, writing that is building up to scenes and reinforcing scenes, foreboding and less of the god awful sexplanations (or whatever the term was).

Anyway more evidence that people are so f'ing dumb:

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #631 - May 20, 2015, 08:57 AM

I'm not comparing those Dorne scenes with anything in the books. They're terrible on their own. It actually could have been a comedy sketch.

Jamie and Bronn arrive at the water gardens.
    The Sand Snakes arrive at the same time.
    Jaimie: Uh oh!
    *Cue laugh track.

I found the comparison with scooby doo by one of my friends to be very apt.

It's a shame considering how awesome Obereyn was last season.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #632 - May 22, 2015, 01:06 PM

Like the vast amount of highly intelligent blonde Moroccans?

Well considering people of the Rif mountains, and original Berber people are generally blonde, red haired, blue, grey or green eyed, that wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility.   Wink

The sand snakes are a killer disappointment though.  Seriously, I expected so much more. 

Imagination ey lol always better than the reality...except maybe when it comes to seafood, on account of seafood being so epic. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #633 - May 22, 2015, 02:38 PM

There is no reason that the people of Dorne should be any specific color because it is a fantasy show set in another world. I actually find it rather lame when a fantasy world so closely resembles Medieval Earth, I think it just shows a lack of imagination.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #634 - May 22, 2015, 02:53 PM

I agree, I'm not arguing they should have been any specific colour.  I was just pointing out that blonde intelligent Moroccans must exist lol.

I find that almost all Western media, struggles to let go of reality, even in an imaginary world.  Even in some of the most fantastical of settings, Western 'reality' seeps in. 

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #635 - May 22, 2015, 04:44 PM

There is no reason that the people of Dorne should be any specific color because it is a fantasy show set in another world. I actually find it rather lame when a fantasy world so closely resembles Medieval Earth, I think it just shows a lack of imagination.

Skin colour may very well reflect be affected by the climate and diet (as well as genes). Correct me here people. Doesn't Dorne have a mediterranean cliamte and this is reflected in the characters appearance?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #636 - May 22, 2015, 04:45 PM

I'm not comparing those Dorne scenes with anything in the books. They're terrible on their own. It actually could have been a comedy sketch.

Jamie and Bronn arrive at the water gardens.
    The Sand Snakes arrive at the same time.
    Jaimie: Uh oh!
    *Cue laugh track.

I found the comparison with scooby doo by one of my friends to be very apt.

It's a shame considering how awesome Obereyn was last season.

yeah the Sand Snakes were poorly executed in the one undeveloped scene but the rest I found no reason to criticise. It's rather similar to other aspects of GoT in that there is a power struggle within families and with the Lannisters.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #637 - May 22, 2015, 05:11 PM

Skin colour may very well reflect be affected by the climate and diet (as well as genes). Correct me here people. Doesn't Dorne have a mediterranean cliamte and this is reflected in the characters appearance?

Well no. There is no reason why Dorne would have a Mediterranean climate. On Earth, Mediterranean climates only appear on the West side of large continents. Dorne is located on the Eastside of a small continent. Using earth's climatic model, Dorne would more likely have a climate like North Carolina, Virginia, etc. But the whole point is that Dorne is not located on Earth anyway. The people that happen to have migrated to the Mediterranean in our world would not necessarily reflect the people that migrated to the southern part of Westeros.

And Mediterranean people are very varied in skin color, Croatians are a lot lighter than Egyptians. etc.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #638 - May 22, 2015, 05:51 PM

That may be true but as you say that you're using Earth as your reference point i.e. REALITY. Saying there's no reason that Dorne wouldn't have a mediteranean climate doesn't mean it doesn't in the FICTIONAL world that has been created. I may be completely wrong about this. Perhaps I said it wrong when I rererenced the 'mediterranean' but it is located in the south east (tail end) where the weather would generally be much sunnier. Dorne In the context of the show itself I don't see an issue. Apparently it has a
    harsh desert climate

The only issue there is is with lack of exposure to Dorne and lack of character development. The people are varied in skin colour, some are white and others olive skinned. They don't look out of place at all:

A quote:

"Dorne is definitely influenced a bit by Spain, a bit by Wales. But nothing is one and one. I took that together. Dorne is a very special land, with a slightly different cultural basis than the rest of Westeros...it was politically apart for a long time, it was also culturally apart because of the Rhoynar and the traditions they brought, but they didn’t influence the rest of Westeros so much. So the dornish have their own particular sort of customs. I see that in Spain with the whole history, particularly the Moorish history of Spain, you know...it really sets it apart from France."[3]

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #639 - May 22, 2015, 06:17 PM

Yes he has taken a bit of Morocco, a bit of Spain, and a bit of Wales (actually not sure what is Welsh about Dorne??) and he used that to create the flavor of Dorne. It is not that interesting.

I suppose it is much easier to take existing real world cultures than to make one up from scratch. With a real world culture you take the amalgamation of the art, architecture, fashion, food, language, etc. of millions of very gifted and creative individuals built up over 1,000s of years. To create something like that by yourself for a fantasy novel would be no easy task. So I understand why fantasy writers do it.

I think the closest someone has come to successfully creating unique, original, and believable fantasy cultures is Tolkien. Though he definitely was influenced by real world cultures (Hobbits are English, Gondor is Byzantium, Numenor is Atlantis, Harad are Moorish, etc.) he did at least give them some unique and original cultural traits. The way he created beautiful languages and scripts really gave Middle Earth a lot of depth and a feel that it could be real. I love all the place names written in his invented languages (Dol Goldur, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth, etc. etc.). The place names are far more interesting than the place names in Game of Thrones: Lemonwood, the North, Winterfell, Kingswood, Castle Black, etc. kind of boring and uncreative imo.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #640 - May 22, 2015, 07:07 PM

Dorne is a desert for the most part. Sand desert in the east and south. Arid rocky deserts in the north and west. It is more like the Fertile Crescent in which a few rivers create a stretch of fertile land. This would be seen near Sunspear as the only two "forests" are found north-east and south-west of Sunspear. Other minor rivers probably produce such an environment but are smaller in width and length thus limited. The mountainous area in the north and west are pretty desolate. This was a factor in Dorne's ability to resist the Targaryens and it's wars with The Reach and Storm Lands. The question still remains are they like tanned Caucasians Italians or have a darker complexion as those in North Africa. The people of Dorne are a mixed people. One part comes from Essos along a major river, Rhoyne, which lack a description of how they looked. One can only assume based on how the people of the Free Cities look. The Dothraki are migrants from the east thus are not from the same stock. The other two parts are First-Men and the Andals. The Andal are from Northern Essos thus are depicted as fair-skinned Caucasians. The First-Men are treated as a unified people but just as with the 7 Kingdoms they lived all over the land thus could have developed differently. Also between the two former they inhabited the land for a far longer period of time, at least 8 thousand years. One can only assume they were Caucasians due to the Free-folk and Northern people as the last to contain dominate form of the bloodline. However this could be boasting due to tradition and customs
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #641 - May 22, 2015, 07:57 PM

Yes he has taken a bit of Morocco, a bit of Spain, and a bit of Wales (actually not sure what is Welsh about Dorne??) and he used that to create the flavor of Dorne. It is not that interesting.

I suppose it is much easier to take existing real world cultures than to make one up from scratch. With a real world culture you take the amalgamation of the art, architecture, fashion, food, language, etc. of millions of very gifted and creative individuals built up over 1,000s of years. To create something like that by yourself for a fantasy novel would be no easy task. So I understand why fantasy writers do it.

I think the closest someone has come to successfully creating unique, original, and believable fantasy cultures is Tolkien. Though he definitely was influenced by real world cultures (Hobbits are English, Gondor is Byzantium, Numenor is Atlantis, Harad are Moorish, etc.) he did at least give them some unique and original cultural traits. The way he created beautiful languages and scripts really gave Middle Earth a lot of depth and a feel that it could be real. I love all the place names written in his invented languages (Dol Goldur, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth, etc. etc.). The place names are far more interesting than the place names in Game of Thrones: Lemonwood, the North, Winterfell, Kingswood, Castle Black, etc. kind of boring and uncreative imo.

There is more than just that. There is monotheistic god, archangels with one in rebellion, lower angels, a perfect people in the form of the Eldar (Adam and Eve type perfection), a chosen people (Men of the West), a lost people (Men of the West which follow the Enemy) and people led by a false religion via Melkor and Sauron (Men of the South and East). This is very similar to Judaism in how it breaks down bloodline between Abe and Cain along with the conflict between these family lines. The people of the south and east are lesser men compared to those from the west. They do not live as long, they are not as physically fit, they are smaller, weaker, less intelligent and easy to compel. This does reflect the common view the Western Civilization as superior to the Hordes of Asia and Africa.

Keep in mind the names of a lot of places are in another language, Sindarin.  Minas Tirith in English would be Tower of the Watch or Tower of the Guard. Just as Paris really means Midwater-Dwelling in English. In GoT English is the common language thus there is less romanticizing over names of places while the common language in Tolkien develops far later in history. The chain of develop starts with the Three Houses of Men as a Mannish language, although I assume Eldar loanwords were introduced due to the background stories. It mirrors the development of English as a Germanic in comparison to Eldar "Latin" branch languages. Just as with Latin an Empire was established under "one language group" only to seceded by another language group. Sindarin would have been the language of the nobility and educated as Eldar knowledge would have been communicated in Sindarin.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #642 - May 22, 2015, 08:25 PM

Wow. I could not disagree with you more on the final sentence just as I agree with what you've written for the vast majority bro. There is nothing uncreative about what GRR Martin has done. I don't understand that mentality. Just wow. Even comparing it to Tolkiens creation - the language of LOTR being an outstanding accomplishment. Have your opinion mate, but to say that the place names are uncreative when for the most part it fits the show is.... I think LOTR is overrated but as someone who ATTEMPTS to write scifi/fantasy I understand how arduous every aspect of the task is and can appreciate what an amazing - no, awesome - world has been created. In GOTR there's Dothraki, Old Valyrian, High Valyrian as well as other languages. To a person 'Minaret-e-Pakistan sounds exotic and majestic but it just to its bare bones means Tower of Pakistan.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #643 - May 22, 2015, 08:26 PM

The people of the south and east are lesser men compared to those from the west. They do not live as long, they are not as physically fit, they are smaller, weaker, less intelligent and easy to compel. This does reflect the common view the Western Civilization as superior to the Hordes of Asia and Africa.

Aren't the "people of the West" simply the people of Numenor? which was an island inspired by the Atlantis legend. And the reason they live longer is because they were partially descended from elves? The Numenoreans were the "elite" humans yes. But i don't know if it is fair to say they were the "Europeans". They are described as dark haired, whereas Middle Earth had plenty of fair haired "Northerner" humans that were not Numenoreans and were not elite, having the same lifespan and strength as the Southern and Eastern humans.

Keep in mind the names of a lot of places are in another language, Sindarin.  Minas Tirith in English would be Tower of the Watch or Tower of the Guard. Just as Paris really means Midwater-Dwelling in English. In GoT English is the common language thus there is less romanticizing over names of places while the common language in Tolkien develops far later in history.

Yes I get that, but it is still a lot more creative to have invented ancient languages and have the place names in those ancient languages. It gives the world a lot more depth and you can really feel the weight of it's history. The Game of thrones names seem so uncreative by comparison and they give you no sense of a long and complex history.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #644 - May 22, 2015, 08:36 PM

Wow...this thread makes me happy because fantasy is awesome and we're such geeks.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #645 - May 22, 2015, 08:58 PM

......but to say that the place names are uncreative when for the most part it fits the show is.... I think LOTR is overrated

Can you elaborate on the bolded parts? What do you mean by it fits the show? And how is LOTR overrated?

To a person 'Minaret-e-Pakistan sounds exotic and majestic but it just to its bare bones means Tower of Pakistan.

Cheesy Yes and in Tolkein's world, "Cirith Ungol" just means "Spider Pass", which is where Shelob, the giant spider lives. So once you translate the names they do seem rather unimaginative. But the point is that the fact that they are in a different language that sounds cool gives them an exotic appeal.

I have not actually read the GOT books, I have just watched the show and read online about the background history and cultures of his world. So it would be unfair for me to judge the author on his work as a whole. I am just saying that the place names do not inspire me. A friend of mine who has read the books says that what he likes about them most is the character development rather than the fantasy world they are in.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #646 - May 22, 2015, 09:11 PM

I just never like Lord of the Rings. The elves and dwarves are boring as hell and the story plods along at a boring pace. Both books and moviesa re 6/10. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the world that's been created as a whole, especially the language.

The Wall is basically The Wall. King's landing is where the King sits. Winterfell is in the north where it's wintery and other name places fit the show and tell you simply the vague characteristics of the place. With a name in another language you may be impressed by the 'exotic appeal' but you have little clue what the area may be like.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #647 - May 22, 2015, 09:37 PM

The Men of the West are considered any man which is decedent from the Three Houses of Man. These are the Men that fought against the Enemy in the First Age. The Easterlings are corrupted as they betrayed the the Eldar and Edain. Melkor does not create life, only corrupt it. This become an attribute of the Men of the East and part of their bloodline. To draw a comparison Orcs are corrupted Elder of the origin stock. So these Men are in a slow process of mutation so to speak but not under direct manipulation of Melkor as the Eldar were. Think of the taint of evil as a genetic disease that is incurable which will pass on with a 100% success rate. Any crossbreeding between a Dark Man and another turns the offspring into a Dark Man.  After the First Age the Men of the West were granted Numenor along with another gift of superior abilities and longer life. This made them High Men thus greater than every House of Men before this. So one can be a Man of the West while not being from Numenor. These people would be called Middle Men due to the shared bloodline but not the gifts Numenor. Not every in the Three Houses migrated. The Dunlendings are from House Haleth but are not High Men.

Tolkien divides every race and species based on a House with attributes gained or lost. Good and evil are trait of different groups. Some call it racism, some call it satire. Every race he has given a boon to he has written a fall. The only exception is what could be considered the Host of Heaven which only act under divine command thus are non-factor in most of his work. Regardless of his intent you can see some of his life experiences in his work, nothing wrong with that.

GoT's keep the exotic just that. It bug the hell out of me as I like a good back-story which is lacking when it comes to Essos.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #648 - May 26, 2015, 01:28 PM

******Spoiler ALERT******

No way man...no way that Cersei got arrested! What a shocker. The best GoT episode so far.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #649 - May 26, 2015, 01:29 PM

******Spoiler ALERT******

No way man...no way that Cersei got arrested! What a shocker. The best GoT episode so far.

I think she should have seen it coming!
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #650 - May 26, 2015, 05:48 PM

I know right.  if only she had read the books.  Grin

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #651 - May 26, 2015, 08:05 PM

^Speaking of, Myrcella totally knew what's up when asking "uncle" Jaimie what he was doing in Dorne.  Cheesy
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #652 - May 26, 2015, 08:12 PM

I think she should have seen it coming!

Keep in mind the sheer power commanded by those in charge. As the former Queen and mother of the current King, plus thinking herself very clever, it's not hard to grasp why she was taken by surprise.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #653 - May 26, 2015, 08:27 PM

Exactly, Quod. It's typical GoT, those in power (or those who perceive themselves to be in a position of power) can have it easily taken away from them. What's most astonighing is the build up and the way that it's executed so believably that you think 'damn, I should've seen that coming!' It's the new layer of vulnerability to the character as well as karnic retribution that has us all shocked and pleased at the same time. I love this show! As Lord Baelish told us: 'chaos is a ladder'

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #654 - May 26, 2015, 08:38 PM

I would so bang Cersei. And Daenerys. And Melisandre. And Megan Fox.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #655 - May 26, 2015, 08:43 PM

I know! I love Melisandre. She's crept up to the No 1 spot for me. It's that whole dark arts, mystical thing. And that accent. Fiery red hair. Someone pour ice cold water over me.... dance  grin12  dance

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #656 - May 26, 2015, 08:45 PM

I was told by a friend recently my hair is firey. And apparently my eyes are like sapphires. It's okay Jedi. You have my permission to think of me.

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #657 - May 26, 2015, 09:53 PM

Naaaah...I've heard your accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OpEwhEMdc

• Game of Thrones
     Reply #658 - May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM

Can't wait for the next episode with Tyrion and Daenerys. In the book we are not yet there.
    For anyone who read the books, don't you think this tv season is going to fast? We even approach the Winterfall siege.
  • Game of Thrones
     Reply #659 - May 27, 2015, 10:48 AM

Ha ha ha...how the tables have turned... mysmilie_977

• Previous page 1 ... 20 21 2223 24 25 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »