Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:54 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate

(Read 36595 times)
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate
     OP - June 02, 2010, 12:12 PM

There's an interesting debate about Islam vs Atheism in London on Saturday 19th June at 6.30pm.
    I'm planning on going - any other atheists interested in attending?
    You can register at http://www.thebigdebates.com
  • Re: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate
     Reply #1 - June 02, 2010, 12:30 PM

I would be interested in going to this, but I don't live in England.

I sense this will contain the clockmaker argument, and how a Boeing 747 can't assemble itself after
    a whirlwind passes through a junkyard.  Roll Eyes

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #2 - June 02, 2010, 12:42 PM

There's an interesting debate about Islam vs Atheism in London on Saturday 19th June at 6.30pm.
    I'm planning on going - any other atheists interested in attending?
    You can register at http://www.thebigdebates.com

I could go, but I don't see the point.

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #3 - June 02, 2010, 12:45 PM

It's that little Islamist douche-bag Hamza Tzortzis. I've seen his debates All he does is regurgitate, practically verbatim, all of William Lane Craig's arguments.

I wrote a refutation of the fine-tuning argument and others on his blog. Surprise, surprise, he didn't let it show. Only comments of adoring fans and stupid atheists are allowed.  Roll Eyes

I also saw his debate against freedom of expression, in which he utterly straw-manned what freedom of expression actually is, and quote-mined various Western thinkers.

Twat.
     Reply #4 - June 02, 2010, 01:33 PM

Zebedee do you have the comment still? Please post it here, would love to read it.

This guy is the new poster-child for western Islam.

And why do you say he's an Islamist  wacko
     Reply #5 - June 02, 2010, 02:02 PM

I'd also be interested in reading your thoughts on the fine tuning argument Zeb. But I don't think Hamaza Tzortzis is one of the bad guys. Admittedly I don't know too much about him but from what I've heard he is not a Zakir Naik type fundie.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #6 - June 02, 2010, 02:11 PM

Zebedee do you have the comment still? Please post it here, would love to read it.

This guy is the new poster-child for western Islam.

And why do you say he's an Islamist  wacko

Why do I say he's an Islamist? Well, because he's for imposing Islamic Shari'ah in terms of, at least, finance and freedom of expression in the West. He completely eschews the Western notion of freedom of expression, and he thinks the Islamic model is better. I think that says it all.

And yes. I'm always sure to keep my long responses that I write to people. It was a response to his 'Response the The God Delusion.' Theists love that book, and no doubt because it's so utterly devoid of philosophical sophistication. Alas, that's the 'New Atheists' for you.

Here it is:

With regards to the 'fine-tuning' argument, I'm surprised that theists and atheists alike consistently fail to notice the glaring contradiction in it. That is, that it, despite being an argument in favour of theism, presupposes a default, uncreated set of physical rules around which the universe has to be fine-tuned.

A major premise of theism is that only God exists in a non-contingent capacity, but if God must configure the physical laws and constants in a very, very specific manner in order to create a life-permitting universe, then there must be a pre-existing order that restricts what God is able to do. If an omnipotent God exists, then there can be no restriction on its ability to create a life-permitting universe. The laws and constants would not have to be configured in any way, let alone so incredibly precisely.

The whole argument is predicated on the idea that the laws and constants have to be exactly what they are and can't be different because, if they were, life couldn't exist. However, that completely contradicts the idea of an all-poweful God. If this premise of the fine-tuning argument is the case, then it follows necessarily that theism isn't.

The attempt to use God to explain design or 'teleology' is much like the attempt to use God to explain existence itself. That is, completely futile. God itself exists and God itself has various highly unlikely attributes (like omniscience and omnipotence) that can have no cause or explanation. Theism asserts that a super-intelligent, highly sophisticated, omnipotent and willed being, which can have no possible cause or explanation, simply is the default state of existence. Surely the theistic God himself must wonder why even he exists, rather than not?

By contrast, entities that come about by natural processes, like animals, do have an explanation, even if we don't fully understand it or can't fully comprehend it in our minds, given the timespans involved.

God is actually not a good, let alone the best, explanatory hypothesis. It requires the belief that blind and purposeless metaphysical forces have conspired to produce a being that is omnipotent, omniscient and faultless. By contrast, the position of the metaphysical naturalist is that, given the right circumstances and in rare instances, blind and purposeless forces can produce life, with all its faults. Even then, the natural order is clearly orderly and evolution by natural selection is not an entirely unguided process. This cannot be said of some supernatural metaphysical configuration.

"Imagine 500 years from now, a group of archaeologists start digging in London’s Hyde Park only to find parts of a car and a bus. They would be completely justified in inferring that these finds were not the result of sedimentation and metamorphosis but products of an unknown civilization."

That is a fallacious comparison. Why? Because we know that past civilisations existed, we know that they made things. By contrast, we do not know if an immaterial, timeless and spaceless mind is even capable of existing. The two explanations cannot be compared.

"the very fact that we can observe and perform rational analysis on the patterns we perceive in the universe makes more sense if God did exist"

It makes perfect sense that we can understand the universe because we have evolved within it and are adapted to understand it. If we weren't, our species would have long since gone extinct. It would only be noteworthy if, despite having evolved within the universe and requiring to understand it to survive, we somehow were completely detached from it.

"it is more likely that God would create an ordered universe, and since the universe we live in is ordered..."

Really? To what extent? Most planets are lifeless, celestial bodies collide with each other all the time, up to and including entire galaxies. The Andromeda galaxy, for example, is approaching our own and will eventually collide with it. Granted, there is some order to the universe, but theism asserts a profound, perfect and causeless order, which goes further than naturalism.

Even down to the level of DNA one can perceive the disorderly and haphazard arrangement of the natural world. This is, of course, why diseases like neurofibromatosis or sickle-cell anaemia exist, why our genomes contain redundant and atavistic pseudogenes, and why about 8% of all human DNA is composed of viral DNA from ERVs.

The evidence that we see contradicts the Qur'an in Surat al-Mulk, verse 3: "You do not see in the Compassionate One’s creation, of these or of other things, any irregularity, any disparity or discordance." -- Jalalayn

Morality, on the other hand, is also a problem for the theist. The most obvious problem is the Euthyphro dilemma; i.e., is it good because God commands it or does God command it because it is good?

I believe that the Islamic stance is that things are neither intrinsically good or evil, but rather morality is determined purely by the dicates of Allah. This so-called 'divine command theory' of morality is every bit as arbitrary and subjective as many forms of atheistic morality. It forms no more sound a basis for objective morality than utilitarianism or consequentialism.

A good example would be that, according to Islamic creationism, Adam and Eve were the first humans and they were the progenitors of all mankind (Surat al-A'raaf:189, Surat al-Hujuraat:13) and so, their progeny would have had to resort to incest to produce the rest of the human race. Of course, incest is a sin in Islam, and yet Allah made it so that the human race could only come about by incest? The moral standard must have changed.

Another example is that slavery is permitted in Islam. We now understand that slavery is immoral, but Allah never claimed that it was. And while it's true that there are numerous ahadith that enjoin humane treatment towards slaves, one must acknowledge that the institution of slavery is inherantly immoral and inequitable, as I'm sure you'd grant.

Still, with regards to W.L.C.'s argument from objective morality; I see that you commit the same fallacy of begging the question in its presentation. You simply assert that objective morals exist yet completely neglect to support this hypothesis. Simply saying that we believe genocide is objectively wrong does not constitute an argument that shows that it is wrong. Indeed, it may well be immoral or evil, but this argument doesn't demonstrate that.

This is an argument that draws on human intuition, but which doesn't actually prove anything.

"However since our universe contains objective morality then it can only make sense with God’s existence, because God is required as rational basis for objective morality."

If our universe 'contains objective morality,' as you put it, then this morality must be objectively observable and demonstrable, and therefore perfectly natural and so would not require an appeal to the supernatural in order to be explained. Therefore, the existence of such a natural phenomenon would not prove the existence of a God. Any more than would, say, the existence of the universe itself.

"God is the only conceptual anchor that transcends human subjectivity."

What about mathematics? What about logic?

"In God’s absence, there are only two alternative conceptual foundations

1. Social pressure

2. Evolution"

I don't think so. Kant's theory of deontological ethics, for example, neither relies on the assumption of God's existence nor on social pressure or evolution. Similarly, consequentialism and utilitarianism don't depend on evolution or social pressure.

"God as a concept is not subjective"

Yes, it is. That's why, even within religions, the ideas of God's character and desires are very different from individual to individual.

"having God as the basis for morality makes them binding and objective, because God transcends human subjectivity."

If there existed a world-wide dictatorship that controlled every country on the globe and imposed its laws, that government's laws would transcend human subjectivity. However, these laws are not morally correct and truly binding just because they are imposed over all people.

The idea of a God dictating morality necessitates the same problem. God may have the power to impose his will and morals, but that doesn't necessarily make them correct or justified. God cannot dictate that a child be sacrificed to him every month, morally speaking. That would clearly be immoral. There is a standard outside of God that he himself must be bound by, hence why even he does not have the power to arbitrarily dictate what is moral and what is immoral.

This is the case because God, like any individual, is just another subjective consciousness and it is for this reason that he cannot dictate what is objectively moral.

End Quote
     Reply #7 - June 02, 2010, 02:17 PM

I'd also be interested in reading your thoughts on the fine tuning argument Zeb. But I don't think Hamaza Tzortzis is one of the bad guys. Admittedly I don't know too much about him but from what I've heard he is not a Zakir Naik type fundie.

From what I've seen of him, he's definitely a sophist, possibly even a conscious liar. He's referred to Western secular values as being 'evil' and he often argues against them and says that we should adopt the traditional Islamic notion of freedom of expression, because it will protect and ensure social cohesion  Cheesy

He may not be a foaming-at-the-mouth, behead-all-kuffar Salafi or terrorist, but that doesn't make him a 'good guy' by any means, good Abu Yunus.
     Reply #8 - June 02, 2010, 02:21 PM

And actually, having re-read that, I see just how laughably feeble his argumentation is.

It's amazing. This guy goes around and gives talks and debates at the world's top universities, and all he does is reiterate William Lane Craig's crap arguments!

But I have to say, we atheists are to blame for this. We too have become philosophically ignorant and lazy.

I don't find WLC's arguments to be very strong at all, for the most part. And yet,  pretty much every debate of his with an atheist, he wins hands down. It would help if atheists would actually start addressing these arguments and pointing out the problems that they necessitate. But, as I say, every debate I've seen, he talks tomatos and the atheists talk potatos, and nobody gets anywhere.
     Reply #9 - June 02, 2010, 02:42 PM

From what I've seen of him, he's definitely a sophist, possibly even a conscious liar. He's referred to Western secular values as being 'evil' and he often argues against them and says that we should adopt the traditional Islamic notion of freedom of expression, because it will protect and ensure social cohesion  Cheesy

He may not be a foaming-at-the-mouth, behead-all-kuffar Salafi or terrorist, but that doesn't make him a 'good guy' by any means, good Abu Yunus.

like i said i don't know too much about him - maybe i have a misinformed impression of him.

interesting thoughts, although i think in general any attempt to try and rationally define 'God' or to try and speak logically about the nature of 'God' or why and how he exists would ultimately be futile and beyond the grasp of the human logic.

i've also generally always been interested in one of the thoughts you shared:

It makes perfect sense that we can understand the universe because we have evolved within it and are adapted to understand it. If we weren't, our species would have long since gone extinct. It would only be noteworthy if, despite having evolved within the universe and requiring to understand it to survive, we somehow were completely detached from it.

it's true it would make sense that we are able to understand the planet we live on and its nature (from an evolutionary point of veiw) - but does it really make sense that we are able to understand the deepest laws that govern the universe - why the heck should we be able to understand quantum mechanics or general relativity for example - and what's more, be able to do the kind of complex mathematics that could help us unravel the some of the deepest mysteries of the universe. How is this explained from an evolutionary point of view? To tell the truth I can't think of any reason why, from an evolutionary point of veiw, humans should be able to know the deepest laws of the universe which require at their heart incredibly complex mathematics.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #10 - June 02, 2010, 03:20 PM

@Zebedee

Good stuff Zeb! You are quite a thinker. Not bad for a faggy psychotic chivava.

@abuyunus2

I find your attempts at explaining the nature of revelations really interesting. Especially this bit: "... maybe we were always supposed to evolve into beings who can use their souls and intellect to decide what is right/wrong or good/bad. Perhaps scriptures/revelations were important in helping us along the way to evolve into what we are now, but were only much more relevant for the time in which they were sent."

Have you considered the implications of such a stance?
     Reply #11 - June 02, 2010, 03:27 PM

interesting thoughts, although i think in general any attempt to try and rationally define 'God' or to try and speak logically about the nature of 'God' or why and how he exists would ultimately be futile and beyond the grasp of the human logic.

i've also generally always been interested in one of the thoughts you shared:

it's true it would make sense that we are able to understand the planet we live on and its nature (from an evolutionary point of veiw) - but does it really make sense that we are able to understand the deepest laws that govern the universe - why the heck should we be able to understand quantum mechanics or general relativity for example - and what's more, be able to do the kind of complex mathematics that could help us unravel the some of the deepest mysteries of the universe. How is this explained from an evolutionary point of view? To tell the truth I can't think of any reason why, from an evolutionary point of veiw, humans should be able to know the deepest laws of the universe which require at their heart incredibly complex mathematics.

Yes, I doubt whether something like a god could really be understood by humans too.

And Abu Yunus, humans are not able to understand these things. As Richard Feynman put it, "If you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory."

The minute scale of subatomic particles, the fact that solid objects are comprised mostly of empty space, etc., these things are not within our ability to fully understand or comprehend. That's exactly what one might expect from beings that are products of evolution.

Mathematics is the only medium we have that enables us to get some understanding of these things. It does so because it is the tool that we have devised to enable us to do so, and this is possible because of the uniformity of nature and existence.

If you wanted to ask why existence displays such uniformity, then that's a question of metaphysics. And it's a difficult question regardless of whether the propositions of positive atheism or theism are correct.
     Reply #12 - June 02, 2010, 03:28 PM

@Zebedee

Good stuff Zeb! You are quite a thinker. Not bad for a faggy psychotic chivava.

Haha! Well, what can I say...?  grin12
     Reply #13 - June 02, 2010, 03:38 PM

Zebedee what thinkers have influenced you then? How come William Lane Craig wins the debates? Who can argue against him?
     Reply #14 - June 02, 2010, 03:49 PM

zeb,

Yes I accept that quantam mechanics, in particular, is perhaps impossible to come to terms with using human logic. In fact even it's major pioneer, Neils Bohr, said something like 'if you are not shocked by it then you have not understood it'. However the point I was making is that we have still worked out the deepest laws that describe how nature works and we can make exteremly precise mathematical predictions using them - we may not fully undersatand exactly how and why these laws work - but we know they do work and we can fully describe them using often extremely complex mathematics. From an evolutionary point of view, I am not sure why we should even have this level of understanding about the deepest laws of our Universe.

Reply #15 - June 02, 2010, 03:49 PM

Zebedee what thinkers have influenced you then? How come William Lane Craig wins the debates? Who can argue against him?

maybe Zeb himself should  Wink

Reply #16 - June 02, 2010, 03:52 PM

I don't think I take a great deal of influence from any particular thinkers. Maybe some might come to mind if I think about it enough. Usually, I tend to just arrive at similar conclusions.

But, such people might include Epicurus, Democritus, Omar Khayyam, Descartes (insofar as Rationalism is concerned), Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Christopher Hitchens, the aforementioned Richard Feynman, and loads of others that I can't think of right now.

And Craig wins the debates partly because the people he argues against never really seem to address his arguments with incisive criticism. The other reason is, of course, that his opponents don't really address the arguments at all. Very frustrating, as most of them are easily refuted.

And I've never seen a debate where I felt the atheist on the other side really did terribly well. But maybe there's someone I've missed, who knows?
     Reply #17 - June 02, 2010, 04:00 PM

@abuyunus2

I find your attempts at explaining the nature of revelations really interesting. Especially this bit: "... maybe we were always supposed to evolve into beings who can use their souls and intellect to decide what is right/wrong or good/bad. Perhaps scriptures/revelations were important in helping us along the way to evolve into what we are now, but were only much more relevant for the time in which they were sent."

Have you considered the implications of such a stance?

Hi Kenan, good to see you back, been away for a while?
    I have recently come to the opinion that the whole of the Qur'an was always meant to be limited to it's time and place. I discuss this in more detail here:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10331.0

Reply #18 - June 02, 2010, 04:09 PM

I don't think I take a great deal of influence from any particular thinkers. Maybe some might come to mind if I think about it enough. Usually, I tend to just arrive at similar conclusions.

But, such people might include Epicurus, Democritus, Omar Khayyam, Descartes (insofar as Rationalism is concerned), Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Christopher Hitchens, the aforementioned Richard Feynman, and loads of others that I can't think of right now.

You just happen to arrive at similar conclusions as Richard Feynman? Boy, you must be a genius.

Reply #19 - June 02, 2010, 04:27 PM

Here it is:

This is the case because God, like any individual, is just another subjective consciousness and it is for this reason that he cannot dictate what is objectively moral.

Nice one  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - June 02, 2010, 04:50 PM

zeb,

Yes I accept that quantam mechanics, in particular, is perhaps impossible to come to terms with using human logic. In fact even it's major pioneer, Neils Bohr, said something like 'if you are not shocked by it then you have not understood it'. However the point I was making is that we have still worked out the deepest laws that describe how nature works and we can make exteremly precise mathematical predictions using them - we may not fully undersatand exactly how and why these laws work - but we know they do work and we can fully describe them using often extremely complex mathematics. From an evolutionary point of view, I am not sure why we should even have this level of understanding about the deepest laws of our Universe.

I think that that is the wrong question to ask, the question we should ask is how and why can we understand this. But to say there is a point, that evolution has a point, or it has thought it out, as if there is a external meaning is imposing an agent on a naturalistic point of view.

1. It's amazing that the Universe makes sense. Why and How?
    2. It's amazing that we have the capability to understand it. Why and How?

Afro
     Reply #21 - June 02, 2010, 04:59 PM

1. It's amazing that the Universe makes sense. Why and How?
    2. It's amazing that we have the capability to understand it. Why and How?

That's actually partly what I meant  Tongue

Reply #22 - June 02, 2010, 05:13 PM

Hamza Tzortzis claims to be a convert to Islam.  He says he converted from a humanist background, but for some reason I just don't believe him.

Reply #23 - June 02, 2010, 05:18 PM

Humanist background lol to Islam? ROFL

He has a Greek surname, I'm guessing he could have been brought Orthodox Greek?
     Reply #24 - June 02, 2010, 05:43 PM

Hi Kenan, good to see you back, been away for a while?
    I have recently come to the opinion that the whole of the Qur'an was always meant to be limited to it's time and place. I discuss this in more detail here:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=10331.0

Thanks abu, yes I have been busy at home and at work.

Good stuff this: "Maybe that was the purpose of religion and God's intention - religion helped shape humanity into what it is now but we were eventually meant to learn to rely on our souls and intellect to decide on good/bad right/wrong."

Do you understand what this means though - if you consistently follow the logic all the way?
     Reply #25 - June 02, 2010, 05:59 PM

i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at?

Reply #26 - June 02, 2010, 07:25 PM

I totally agree with zebedee's take on Hamza Tzortzis. He's very much a hardline Islamist. There are many a whisper that he is the ideological PR man for Hizb ut Tahrir. What makes him so fascinating, is that he is unusually charming and charismatic for somebody with such deep seated dogma-orientated beliefs.

I don't have trouble belieiving that he is of a humanist background.

Another one of his types is Adam Deen. He seemed to have gone quiet for sometime, but then I saw him on the Big Questions a few weeks back. I don't think Adam Deen is as fantatical as Hamza, and he is less charismatic, but in general, they style and appeal is very similar.

A public speaking atheist who I have found to be quite good is Dan Barker.
     Reply #27 - June 02, 2010, 07:46 PM

i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get at?

We are talking morality here, right? More specifically this is about the evolution of morality?

According to what you proposed, at the time when scripture was originally revealed (the time of birth of the first proto-Abrahamic religion in the Fertile Crescent) the morality of humans was poorly evolved and it benefited from morality found in the first scripture.

Things progressed continuously up to the point when today humans do not need to rely on scripture any more. We  and our morality have evolved sufficiently for us to surpass the morality prescribed in the scriptures (for example like you said Quran was possibly not meant for all times).

This was obviously god's plan all along - humanity must depart from simple obedience based on punishment/fear (hell) or reward/joy (heaven) into true morality based on nothing but morality itself. To do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. In order to achieve this, one must ignore and separate oneself from god because as soon as one includes god into this equation one also includes ulterior motives which are by definition immoral (doing good for the sake of god for example, heaven/hell, ...)

Paradoxically in order to show true respect for god and to truly worship god one must ignore god. In other words god wants us to be atheists.
     Reply #28 - June 02, 2010, 10:44 PM

@ Kenan

We are talking morality here, right? More specifically this is about the evolution of morality?

According to what you proposed, at the time when scripture was originally revealed (the time of birth of the first proto-Abrahamic religion in the Fertile Crescent) the morality of humans was poorly evolved and it benefited from morality found in the first scripture.

Things progressed continuously up to the point when today humans do not need to rely on scripture any more. We  and our morality have evolved sufficiently for us to surpass the morality prescribed in the scriptures (for example like you said Quran was possibly not meant for all times).

This was obviously god's plan all along - humanity must depart from simple obedience based on punishment/fear (hell) or reward/joy (heaven) into true morality based on nothing but morality itself. To do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. In order to achieve this, one must ignore and separate oneself from god because as soon as one includes god into this equation one also includes ulterior motives which are by definition immoral (doing good for the sake of god for example, heaven/hell, ...)

Paradoxically in order to show true respect for god and to truly worship god one must ignore god. In other words god wants us to be atheists.

bunny parrot bunny parrot bunny

That was brilliant, Kenan! Just brilliant!

Indeed, Abu rejects the Quranic version of God, he just doesn't want to admit it.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #29 - June 02, 2010, 11:31 PM

zeb,

As I stated, that's about the uniformity of nature. It's that uniformity that enables us to do such things, and I doubt that anyone knows exactly how or why nature is the way it is. It's just one of those unanswered/unanswerable questions, I guess.

We have come about within that uniform nature, so it stands to reason that our intuition and reason conform to it. But as to why the uniformity itself exists, that's a different question, which obviously I can't answer.

Hamza Tzortzis claims to be a convert to Islam.  He says he converted from a humanist background, but for some reason I just don't believe him.

It's possible that he was actually just irreligious. Not many people would consider themselves actively practicing humanists. And it's part of this whole 'ex-insert-ideology/religion' meme.

The fact that you used to be something means that you fully understand that position, that you are fully qualified to talk about it, and that you are now too smart and knowledgeable to hold that position anymore. In other words, 'I used to be a Christian/Muslim/Atheist/Jew but now I know better.'

I totally agree with zebedee's take on Hamza Tzortzis. He's very much a hardline Islamist. There are many a whisper that he is the ideological PR man for Hizb ut Tahrir. What makes him so fascinating, is that he is unusually charming and charismatic for somebody with such deep seated dogma-orientated beliefs.

I don't have trouble belieiving that he is of a humanist background.

Another one of his types is Adam Deen. He seemed to have gone quiet for sometime, but then I saw him on the Big Questions a few weeks back. I don't think Adam Deen is as fantatical as Hamza, and he is less charismatic, but in general, they style and appeal is very similar.

A public speaking atheist who I have found to be quite good is Dan Barker.

If he is with HT then I wouldn't be surprised at all. What I do find funny though, is that this little Islamist gets invited to all these big-shot universities to speak, as though his message was somehow congenial to Western civilisation. Maybe it's just the self-hate of the leftist establishment in the higher education establishments.

Deen and Tzortzis are like two peas in a pod. I watched the debate they had with two humanists. Like I say, literally verbatim usage of WLC's arguments from both of them.  It would be funny except for the fact that atheists aren't really putting up much of a fight.
  • 12 3 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »