Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 07:07 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:54 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate

(Read 36635 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate
     Reply #30 - June 02, 2010, 11:33 PM

Kenan, that's a similar argument to the classic "The death of Pascal's Wager" essay. I always thought it was a very good one.

Oh and nice work from Zeb too.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - June 02, 2010, 11:39 PM

Zebedee,
    It's great to see highly intelligent thinkers on this forum like you. Afro
    Keep up the good work.
    (I have bookmarked that long essay you wrote on the "right, wrong" thread the other day.)

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #32 - June 02, 2010, 11:58 PM

Thanks, guys  Afro
     Reply #33 - June 03, 2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks debunker & osmanthus.

Indeed, Abu rejects the Quranic version of God, he just doesn't want to admit it.

Strictly speaking what you have written above only applies if one takes Quran at face value.

I asked The Tailor the same question and this was his response:

Quote from: Kenan on March 21, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Can this be related to "in order to be truly moral one has to ignore God" and "only an atheist can be a true believer"?

A standard Sufi response would be: I think there is quite a lot of truth in your statement (1/4 of a shahada, in fact). I guess one way of putting it is -- if you have REALLY removed ALL association with the name of God (as the Qur'an sometimes instructs us to), what else of God is left for you?
    A big nothing, it would seem. And a big nothing is equivalent to absolute fullness. So atheism certainly does fulfill some of the obligation. That, plus faith/love/submission in interplay with this Nothing/Fullness would be "true" Islam. The interplay -- even as I have sketched it -- gets tricky of course, as it is also a form of association, so I should really apostatize from what I just said in order to fulfill a new interplay between a further nothing/fullness ... and so on in loving infinitum ...

At the level of morality, I DEFINITELY agree that to be truly "moral", we must ignore any form of God-as-superego -- any form of God as a judge that stands outside of reality, ticking boxes. The moment we imagine such a "father-figure" creator, we land ourselves in all kinds of trouble.To be truly moral is to understand that, ultimately, judgement is whatever your have chosen your life to be -- judgement IS your life as your free will has determined it, and morality is absolutely internal and constructed by you and you alone. To understand this is to be self-aware and entirely responsible for the choices we make: we never make them because we will get a "naughty tick" or a "nice tick" from an external observer.

That said, for me, the space in which these judgements, these lives are lived -- is Divine. We are "living" God's judgement in the sense that all our judgements form a "mass" unfolding of choices/lives that constitutes human evolution. Our psychological experience of the universe is one of judgement. God is not judging outside in trascendence -- rather, God's judgement is immanent to our situation -- it IS our situation. We are all in the fire of judgement: we are all in the fire (but God has made us "garments to protect us from the heat"). The universe is God's judgement unfolding. And when we "grasp" that feeling of "living out" this unfolding -- then we experience God's love (because this unfolding for me is always a form of love). The implications are quite large for a religious person: it means, for example, that a constraint on your life to "please" God has ZERO value in and of itself -- the only constraints of value are ones that are taken in conscious "grasping" of the way ALL life (everyones' lives) constitute Love unfolding. When we grasp this, the fires of judgement are "balanced" by the water of love (north balances south) and we get a feeling for this Divine thing that is above all ascription.

One of my favourite philosophers Slavoj Zizek (a militant Marxist atheist) together with his friend  John Milbank (a 'Radical Orthodox' theologian) complied a book called "The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic?" in which they debate everything from the meaning of theology and Christ to the war machine of corporate mafia.

"What matters is not so much that Žižek is endorsing a demythologized, disenchanted Christianity without transcendence, as that he is offering in the end (despite what he sometimes claims) a heterodox version of Christian belief."
    —John Milbank

"To put it even more bluntly, my claim is that it is Milbank who is effectively guilty of heterodoxy, ultimately of a regression to paganism: in my atheism, I am more Christian than Milbank."
    —Slavoj Žižek

Reply #34 - June 03, 2010, 10:27 AM

Dude, hint for ya. Use the horizontal rule button (third from right in top row) for dividing up post content. Your string of ----- is forcing a scroll bar on my 1680 screen (you must have a 1920 methinks). Using the hr means it's quicker and easier and will adapt to any res. Smiley

Reply #35 - June 03, 2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks, will do.
     Reply #36 - June 03, 2010, 10:37 AM

As I stated, that's about the uniformity of nature. It's that uniformity that enables us to do such things, and I doubt that anyone knows exactly how or why nature is the way it is. It's just one of those unanswered/unanswerable questions, I guess.
    We have come about within that uniform nature, so it stands to reason that our intuition and reason conform to it. But as to why the uniformity itself exists, that's a different question, which obviously I can't answer.

I agree, I think in fact we'll never know why nature is the way it is - all we can do is make intelligent observations of the way in which it works. Our intuition and reason do conform to the nature around us, sure. The reason why we find special relativity weird is because we do not move at relativistic speeds in our every day lives and the consequences of the theory hence seem counter-intuitive to our in-built logic - if we were to move at relativistic speeds in our everyday lives then its consequences would semm completely normal. A similar line of thinking may be applied with quantum mechanics although be it on a much larger and more complicated scale.

Indeed as you said: ''We have come about within that uniform nature, so it stands to reason that our intuition and reason conform to it''

I am not disputing this. My simple argument is that we have still worked out these theories - even though their principles are counter-intuitve to our logic, we are still able to speak intelligently about them - and we even identify the principles that are counterintuive to our logic and yet realise they are integral parts of the theory. We can even fully describe these same theories using incredibly complex math and then go on to make incredibly precise predictions using them - the theories are complete in the sense that we have full mathematical descriptions of them.

I'm not sure if we're arguing about two different things here, but my question was can evolution really account for this kind of intelligence that we humans posess. And if so, how exactly? Nature has somehow allowed us to work out the deepest laws of the universe and work out the complex mathematical descriptions of them - can we reserve all our thanks to evolution for this or is there something else at work that has given us this ability?

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #37 - June 03, 2010, 10:58 AM

We are talking morality here, right? More specifically this is about the evolution of morality?

According to what you proposed, at the time when scripture was originally revealed (the time of birth of the first proto-Abrahamic religion in the Fertile Crescent) the morality of humans was poorly evolved and it benefited from morality found in the first scripture.

Things progressed continuously up to the point when today humans do not need to rely on scripture any more. We  and our morality have evolved sufficiently for us to surpass the morality prescribed in the scriptures (for example like you said Quran was possibly not meant for all times).

This was obviously god's plan all along - humanity must depart from simple obedience based on punishment/fear (hell) or reward/joy (heaven) into true morality based on nothing but morality itself. To do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. In order to achieve this, one must ignore and separate oneself from god because as soon as one includes god into this equation one also includes ulterior motives which are by definition immoral (doing good for the sake of god for example, heaven/hell, ...)

Paradoxically in order to show true respect for god and to truly worship god one must ignore god. In other words god wants us to be atheists.

I agree mostly with what you are saying. However, I don't think there is any need to forget where our morality came from in the first place - this has no advantages and serves no purpose. We can still do good for the sake of good but at the same time still acknowledge that it was God who gave us this morality. To do good based on morality itself does not mean that we need to ignore God, or consider ourselves Atheists - we can still acknowledge that God gave us this morality without it having any affect on us doing good based on our in-built morality alone.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #38 - June 03, 2010, 11:04 AM

My 2c on that (your second to last post) is that we have an inherent ability to do mathematics. This might sound odd but makes sense, since our everyday lives do involve instinctive calculations. Catching a thrown ball is one example. It requires an instinctive ability to predict a parabolic trajectory. This inherent ability, when combined with our capacity for reflection, enbles us to extend our knowledge beoynd things we see in our everyday lives.

Reply #39 - June 03, 2010, 11:24 AM

My 2c on that is that we have an inherent ability to do mathematics. This might sound odd but makes sense, since our everyday lives do involve instinctive calculations. Catching a thrown ball is one example. It requires an instinctive ability to predict a parabolic trajectory. This inherent ability, when combined with our capacity for reflection, enbles us to extend our knowledge beoynd things we see in our everyday lives

I have thought along similar lines before - although i don't think the ball catching example is a good one - the ability to predict a parabolic trajectory for example could be worked out by simple trial and error - when we throw a ball we know how it behaves and do not need 'mathematical knowledge' to work it out.
    I thought instead that the ability to to do simple counting would have obvious survival advantages - even adding and substraction etc. But how does this ultimately translate into our abilty to mathematically describe quantum mechanics and general relativity for example - is it even possible that it could be explained in a satisfactory manner using evolution?

Reply #40 - June 03, 2010, 11:26 AM

mathematics does not satisfactorily explain quantum mechanics.  Mathematics is just a man-made rational language, and this is  why it might not be enough.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - June 03, 2010, 11:40 AM

mathematics does not satisfactorily explain quantum mechanics.  Mathematics is just a man-made rational language, and this is  why it might not be enough.

mathematics does not satisfactorily explain anything. however, mathematics can be used to describe the theories and can be used to allow us to make predictions using the theory. in addition Math is not a man made rational language - it is the language that is built in to already existing laws of the universe - we have somehow been able to learn this language.

The mathematical description of quantum mechnics is complete. However this does not mean that we will understand why the theory works or even that we can make any logical statements about it's principles. However even though we don't fully understand some of these principles we can still incorporate these principles (in fact we need to) into the equations to make a full mathematical description and make accurate mathematical predictions.

Reply #42 - June 03, 2010, 11:45 AM

I have thought along similar lines before - although i don't think the ball catching example is a good one - the ability to predict a parabolic trajectory for example could be worked out by simple trial and error - when we throw a ball we know how it behaves and do not need 'mathematical knowledge' to work it out.
    I thought instead that the ability to to do simple counting would have obvious survival advantages - even adding and substraction etc. But how does this ultimately translate into our abilty to mathematically describe quantum mechanics and general relativity for example - is it even possible that it could be explained in a satisfactory manner using evolution?

You can't really predict a parabolic trajectory through trial and error because it will be different each time. And where does the "knowing" come from? I mean you've probably felt that feeling when you have your eye on the ball and just know you aren't going to fluff it. That's some pretty precise calculations going on there at some level.

Anyway yes, it may not be the best example. The thing is though that our universe obviously runs on mathematics. It describes reality ridiculously well. So, if you are talking about a species that has evolved to utilise reflection and analysis as survival tools then it wouldn't be at all far-fetched to assume that said species would have an inbuilt ability to do mathematics.

Once you have the  basic structure in place, and assuming you have sufficient capability for abstract thought, you can gradually extend the basics way beyond your starting point. This is what we seem to have done. It has taken hundreds of thousands of years to get to where we are now, although we do seem to have reached a sort of "critical mass" with regards to knowledge in general.

mathematics does not satisfactorily explain quantum mechanics.  Mathematics is just a man-made rational language, and this is  why it might not be enough.

You're wrong. Mathematics does not give an ultimate explanation for QM but it does give a very good description of how QM behaves. In other words, mathematics describes reality. This means it is not just something we have invented. It is far more than that. It is a direct insight into how our universe actually works. It is real.

Reply #43 - June 03, 2010, 11:57 AM

The thing is though that our universe obviously runs on mathematics. It describes reality ridiculously well. So, if you are talking about a species that has evolved to utilise reflection and analysis as survival tools then it wouldn't be at all far-fetched to assume that said species would have an inbuilt ability to do mathematics.

Once you have the  basic structure in place, and assuming you have sufficient capability for abstract thought, you can gradually extend the basics way beyond your starting point. This is what we seem to have done. It has taken hundreds of thousands of years to get to where we are now, although we do seem to have reached a sort of "critical mass" with regards to knowledge in general.

perhaps that's the way it happened, of course this is what the the pro-evolutionists would argue. i'm not so sure though...

Reply #44 - June 03, 2010, 12:09 PM

I agree mostly with what you are saying. However, I don't think there is any need to forget where our morality came from in the first place

If there were such a thing as objective morality, and a God who gave it to us, why did God not give it to all humans?  If such an objective morality exists, why is it that we only observe subjective morality throughout the world?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #45 - June 03, 2010, 12:18 PM

I agree, I think in fact we'll never know why nature is the way it is - all we can do is make intelligent observations of the way in which it works. Our intuition and reason do conform to the nature around us, sure. The reason why we find special relativity weird is because we do not move at relativistic speeds in our every day lives and the consequences of the theory hence seem counter-intuitive to our in-built logic - if we were to move at relativistic speeds in our everyday lives then its consequences would semm completely normal. A similar line of thinking may be applied with quantum mechanics although be it on a much larger and more complicated scale.

Indeed as you said: ''We have come about within that uniform nature, so it stands to reason that our intuition and reason conform to it''

I am not disputing this. My simple argument is that we have still worked out these theories - even though their principles are counter-intuitve to our logic, we are still able to speak intelligently about them - and we even identify the principles that are counterintuive to our logic and yet realise they are integral parts of the theory. We can even fully describe these same theories using incredibly complex math and then go on to make incredibly precise predictions using them - the theories are complete in the sense that we have full mathematical descriptions of them.

I'm not sure if we're arguing about two different things here, but my question was can evolution really account for this kind of intelligence that we humans posess. And if so, how exactly? Nature has somehow allowed us to work out the deepest laws of the universe and work out the complex mathematical descriptions of them - can we reserve all our thanks to evolution for this or is there something else at work that has given us this ability?

Yes, I know what you're saying now.

Your question is essentially, how can unguided evolution create beings that are as intelligent and sophisticated as humans? Particularly when there is absolutely no survival/evolutionary necessity for such sophistication?

I'd say that the kind of intelligence that humans exhibit (like the ability to use tools, apply reason) isn't peculiar to humans. Other animals, like corvids, display the same ability, only not with the same level of sophistication. Humans simply possess this kind of intelligence to  higher degree than other animals, and many species are remarkable for a particular or seemingly unique capacity that they possess.

As for other forms of intelligence, like the aesthetic, music and art, it's something that I don't know that much about. But I understand that general human aesthetic preferences can, at least in part, be accounted for by evolution.

Take for example the human preference for arboreal environments. Its origin lies in that fact that humans fair best in such environments. Or the preference for what we understand as being physical beauty in other humans; a certain physiological appearance can give the impression of good health or fertility to the person possessing it.

But obviously other things aren't so easily accounted for. You may be able to find information on it, but I personally don't know why humans like music. It's also hard to tell to what extent, if at all, other animals have aesthetic sentiments. Other animals propably have some sense of it, hence why certain species are attracted to shiny objects and the like.

But at the same time, if you're going to assume that a highly sophisticated and causeless being can exist without any possible necessity or explanation, then I don't see why it's impossible for sophisticated yet flawed beings to come about by a natural processes over a very long period of time.

But in any case, if you're interested in how evolved human neurophysiology can account for at least some of the sophistication that humans exhibit, you might be interested in this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hy7oOhHxk
     Reply #46 - June 03, 2010, 12:28 PM

Your question is essentially, how can unguided evolution create beings that are as intelligent and sophisticated as humans? Particularly when there is absolutely no survival/evolutionary necessity for such sophistication?

I watched an interesting documentary called something like "How cooking made us human".  In short cooking is like a predigestion process, so when we cook food we break it down and as a result our bodies are able to absorb more of the energy in the food.  As a consequence we didn't need to spend so much time eating and had more time to socialise.

Once a species is in a position where it can dedicate a lot of its time to socialising it is bound to improve its intelligence.  Intelligence may not be necessary to survival, but increased intelligence certainly does put you in a better position to survive environmental changes which would otherwise require a physical evolutionary process.  Intelligence is certainly what has made humans the most successful species on the planet, so intelligence does have great benefits for the survival of a species.

Reply #47 - June 03, 2010, 12:33 PM

Good point.

And I heard about that.

Something about cooked food correlating with increased brain development. The smallest things make all the difference, huh?
     Reply #48 - June 03, 2010, 12:43 PM

Something about cooked food correlating with increased brain development. The smallest things make all the difference, huh?

Not only did our ancestors need to spend less time foraging for food but because we needed to eat less our stomachs didn't need to be as large.  So when some offspring were born with smaller stomachs nature no longer selected them for death and they were able to reproduce.  So we ended up with more animals with smaller stomachs.  Because our digestive system required less energy to keep it ticking over this freed up energy resources to other parts of our bodies.  I expect there were many variations (taller/more muscular/etc) but it seems that the larger brain variation was the most successful.

One explanation I saw for homosapiens surviving where neanderthals did not was our improved ability to talk.  Because we could communicate better we socialised more, as a consequence we spread our diseases around and developed more immunities, making us less prone to a species wipe-out from a new germ.  It's amazing to look inside the jaw bone of a homosapien and neanderthal and see that a small extra bit of space to enable the tongue to move could have been a significant factor in us not becoming extinct.

Reply #49 - June 03, 2010, 01:46 PM

Hm with all the advances in technology we still spend a stupid amount of time watching porn, giggling infants and cute cats. And in that exact order.

What is evolution trying to tell us here Abu Yunus?
     Reply #50 - June 03, 2010, 01:54 PM

Hm with all the advances in technology we still spend a stupid amount of time watching porn, giggling infants and cute cats. And in that exact order.

We are all a bunch of immature wankers?

Reply #51 - June 03, 2010, 02:14 PM

mathematics does not satisfactorily explain anything. however, mathematics can be used to describe the theories and can be used to allow us to make predictions using the theory. in addition Math is not a man made rational language - it is the language that is built in to already existing laws of the universe - we have somehow been able to learn this language.

The mathematical description of quantum mechnics is complete. However this does not mean that we will understand why the theory works or even that we can make any logical statements about it's principles. However even though we don't fully understand some of these principles we can still incorporate these principles (in fact we need to) into the equations to make a full mathematical description and make accurate mathematical predictions.

Yes, I put it badly.  Perhaps the machinery behind the maths is better, and it could be so complex that is not within our current understanding, as was the theory of relativity before Einstein came along.  I have never understood much about quantum mechanics, as even during my physics degree it was a fledgling subject.  

It has made huge advancements since then but never really been interested in looking into it, I left physics the moment I was given the certificate and never looked back.  Brought back too many painful memories and stress of trying to get to grips with it and never having revised enough  grin12

Anyhow coming back to the arguments at hand, I would argue that even if God definitely didnt exist there would be morality, at least in some shape or form.  It would be required for our group survival e.g. our morality would have evolved so that we dont kill each other to get anothers mating partner.

Also for some the Abrahmic scriptures question our more powerful humanist sense of morality to such an extent that people like Hassan given up on questioned such a God as a whole just on this one particular question.  (it didnt for me as a Muslim, because I was prepared to accept an immoral God could exist)

There seem to be other more accountable and readily understandable motivators at play here and God still remains a paranormal phenomenon.  Which should we go for?

In any case if you then accept this premise, that God is not needed for a basic sense of morality, then surely this should not be a reason for believing in God?  

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #52 - June 03, 2010, 02:32 PM

maybe there's nothing it can tell us here?

Reply #53 - June 03, 2010, 04:31 PM

You're right. I was just trolling.

KABLAMOO

Boy you're pretty smart for a guy getting his PhD in Molecular Biology from Cambridge University.
     Reply #54 - June 03, 2010, 04:37 PM

hehehe - but don't tell anyone
    besides i got my PhD from Kings College London - i'm a postdoc at Cambridge University - but spend a lot of my time on silly sites on the internet  grin12

Reply #55 - June 03, 2010, 05:17 PM

But at the same time, if you're going to assume that a highly sophisticated and causeless being can exist without any possible necessity or explanation, then I don't see why it's impossible for sophisticated yet flawed beings to come about by a natural processes over a very long period of time.

in general i don't like the oft-repeated 'by natural processes over a very long period of time' line. some people use this line as if it's some sort of credible explanation able to explain anything and everything. it's just a lazy way of not exploring the problems at hand. instead of falling back on this line of thinking, we need to explore whether evolution can explain things in detail at the molecular level - why we're as inteligent as we are, why we like art and music, why we get emotional when we witness something beautiful etc. Why did these things evolve within us? How did these things evolve at the molecular level? what were the precise mutations involved? what order did the mutations come about?

When we can answer these sorts of questions, only then can we say that evolution is a complete theory that fully explains humans (although of course it still wouldn't explain how life first appeared on earth)

Of course the whole statement is one of Dawkin's favourite lines. I however find it a bit of a cop-out. We can not make any intelligent statements about God or anything outside our Universe for that matter. We can not make any inteligent statements how such a complex being might have come about or whether He always existed or not - it's possible that He may have always existed and didn't need to be created - we can not rule out this possibility because as we have both already agreed we can not assume to know anything about God since it probably lies outside of human logic, any attempt to define anything about the nature of God, or how and why he exists is likely to be futile. What we can do is speak intelligently of the nature around us - humans are complex. The current theories of science say we came about solely because of evolution - therefore we need to explain our complexity in terms of evolution - if we can not we must accept that their are other factors at play.

If indeed 'God' did lend a hand in making us as complex as we are - it's no good asking 'well who created the even more complex God' - since we can not make any intelligent comments regarding whether God himself was created or not - we can not make any intelligent comments reagrding the nature of God and how and why he exists - it's outside the realm of science and human logic.

Reply #56 - June 03, 2010, 05:42 PM

hehehe - but don't tell anyone
    besides i got my PhD from Kings College London - i'm a postdoc at Cambridge University - but spend a lot of my time on silly sites on the internet  grin12

yeahyeah brag brag and I got my Masters Diploma from The International University of Samoa @ internationaluniversityofsamoa.com but you don't see me tooting my horn that much.
     Reply #57 - June 03, 2010, 05:48 PM

lols. i actually only say things like that to cover up the fact that i'm a bit dumb - something my wife constantly reminds me of

Reply #58 - June 03, 2010, 06:34 PM

You dont need your wife to remind you of it, all you have to do is read your posts  grin12

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #59 - June 03, 2010, 06:41 PM

it true  Cry

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »