Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 07:07 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:54 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate

(Read 36641 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Islam or Atheism - The Big Debate
     Reply #180 - June 05, 2010, 12:00 AM

But it's the brain that contains memories. Or are they imprinted on our 'soul' too? In which case, why the need for our brains to store memories?
     Reply #181 - June 05, 2010, 12:02 AM

Define 'life'.

really? ok. life is the here and now

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #182 - June 05, 2010, 12:04 AM

really? ok. life is the here and now

You've just defined 'present'.
     Reply #183 - June 05, 2010, 12:04 AM

But it's the brain that contains memories. Or are they imprinted on our 'soul' too? In which case, why the need for our brains to store memories?

I don't know i'm not a "soul" expert or medical "expert" we don't need tonsils either, but we've got them maybe the soul is like a back up drive!

If you ask me to define anything i will slap you with my pimp hand and make you cry like a biatch.

Nick Naylor: "I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right."~ Thank you for Smoking

Perspective
     Reply #184 - June 05, 2010, 12:08 AM

I don't know i'm not a "soul" expert or medical "expert" we don't need tonsils either, but we've got them maybe the soul is like a back up drive!

And we don't need plantaris muscles in the foot any more either, but we still have them. This is what happens when you let evolution run riot.

If this soul is eternal and divine and stores memories, we wouldn't need the brain to store memories too.
     Reply #185 - June 05, 2010, 12:10 AM

You've just defined 'present'.

well i live in the present not the past or the future ( although i'm kinda thinking this is turning out to be ground-hog day right now) but then i guess you could break that down into a further philosophical debate on subjective / objective experiences.

Perspective
     Reply #186 - June 05, 2010, 12:13 AM

well i live in the present not the past or the future ( although i'm kinda thinking this is turning out to be ground-hog day right now) but then i guess you could break that down into a further philosophical debate on subjective / objective experiences.

In that case, of course there's an after-life, because there's a future. My point was that you asked whether I'd hope for an after-life, I want to know what you think 'life' is before I answer whether I want 'after-life'.
     Reply #187 - June 05, 2010, 12:15 AM

I have to say i like this forum because it's improving and stimulating my critical thinking!

I can't disprove there are two angels sitting on my shoulders. but i guess that i can call myself a non Muslim because i'm a Hindu. But i think i understand what you're saying. If you're dependent on disproving what you can't prove, you're stuck with whatever other people beliefs perceptions impose on you. So to Muslims i could be a Muslim to Christians i could be a Christian.

Maybe i can frame this in another way. Do atheists hope there is no afterlife?

When you die, you cease to be!!!
    Like a:
    Dead Parrot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Lq771TVm4

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #188 - June 05, 2010, 12:17 AM

If this soul is eternal and divine and stores memories, we wouldn't need the brain to store memories too.

maybe we have both systems in place because they can't function without each other

Perspective
     Reply #189 - June 05, 2010, 12:19 AM

maybe we have both systems in place because they can't function without each other

So how do you expect to store memories when your brain rots away if your soul cannot do so on its own?
     Reply #190 - June 05, 2010, 12:19 AM

In that case, of course there's an after-life, because there's a future. My point was that you asked whether I'd hope for an after-life, I want to know what you think 'life' is before I answer whether I want 'after-life'.

You haven't even told me if you're an atheist!

Perspective
     Reply #191 - June 05, 2010, 12:20 AM

You haven't even told me if you're an atheist!

Okay I'm an atheist. Tongue
     Reply #192 - June 05, 2010, 12:24 AM

So how do you expect to store memories when your brain rots away if your soul cannot do so on its own?

maybe they can cant function without each other, and when the connection is broken ie the brain ceases to exist, the souls is left to be reincarnated or reaches heaven/nirvana/hell/limbo

Perspective
     Reply #193 - June 05, 2010, 12:25 AM

Do atheists hope there is no afterlife?

I wish there was so I could live forever, but it sounds like a manmade concept, and sadly wanting something to be true doesnt make it true.  Without proof, you are only left with hope and thats not enough for me.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #194 - June 05, 2010, 12:26 AM

maybe they can cant function without each other, and when the connection is broken ie the brain ceases to exist, the souls is left to be reincarnated or reaches heaven/nirvana/hell/limbo

So why exactly should we be bothered about this soul if it's just gonna bugger off and join up with someone else's brain, or go to 'nirvana' without us?
     Reply #195 - June 05, 2010, 12:26 AM

Okay I'm an atheist. Tongue

dance yay! gimme a minute. i'm off to have a cig. dont go anywhere! i'll be back in 5

Perspective
     Reply #196 - June 05, 2010, 12:33 AM

Brain overload.  Let's hope he comes back an atheist. Wink

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #197 - June 05, 2010, 12:37 AM

Remember it's not you smoking. But your soul.
     Reply #198 - June 05, 2010, 12:38 AM

ok back!

Perspective
     Reply #199 - June 05, 2010, 12:50 AM

So why exactly should we be bothered about this soul if it's just gonna bugger off and join up with someone else's brain, or go to 'nirvana' without us?

so the soul. the afterlife and the existence of something or nothing.
    The soul.

In hinduism you have a couple of sates, deva loa, patal, pitri loka, states of the aterlife depending on your karma accrued and its a case of your soul goes into a higher state for a period of time, and then you get reborn. christanity the souls has states of heaven and hell, the same i'm assuming for islam. Its final. where as hinduism seems more of a cycle.

Do you hope there is no afterlife?

Perspective
     Reply #200 - June 05, 2010, 12:53 AM

I wish there was so I could live forever, but it sounds like a manmade concept, and sadly wanting something to be true doesnt make it true.  Without proof, you are only left with hope and thats not enough for me.

I've actually never hoped for ever. I've always found concepts of heaven and hell odd, that your judged on the decisions you made and that that judgement was final. I also thought that heaven would kind of get boring after an eternity. Which is why i like the idea of a soul and of being reborn, a do over as you will.

Perspective
     Reply #201 - June 05, 2010, 12:55 AM

so then what's the problem? does it matter if you believe in it or not?
     Reply #202 - June 05, 2010, 01:01 AM

I'm sure in my next life, I will be the atoms that make up my current body. Tongue  The atoms will be recycled into other elements.
    I, as a unit, will cease to exist, because my body will decompose.
    As soon as I die, my brain will no longer be able to think.  So talking of memories makes no sense.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #203 - June 05, 2010, 01:02 AM

I've actually never hoped for ever. I've always found concepts of heaven and hell odd, that your judged on the decisions you made and that that judgement was final. I also thought that heaven would kind of get boring after an eternity. Which is why i like the idea of a soul and of being reborn, a do over as you will.

I like lots of ideas, so what?  Its only the ones that are real that make any difference, not ones based on cavemen's ancient superstitions and desires.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #204 - June 05, 2010, 01:04 AM

My original question was if Atheists believe 100% that there is no afterlife and how could they come to the conclusion as definatie if they could not disprove the existence of an afterlife. basically i was trying to figure out why Atheists weren't agnostics.

Perspective
     Reply #205 - June 05, 2010, 01:09 AM

I'm sure in my next life, I will be the atoms that make up my current body. Tongue  The atoms will be recycled into other elements.
    As soon as I die, my brain will no longer be able to think.  So talking of memories makes no sense.

Hypothetically, if the technology existed let's say that you could live forever, in your present body, or a body of your choosing and you could retain your memories, would you choose it?

Perspective
     Reply #206 - June 05, 2010, 01:12 AM

Wanna know something freaky? How do you know the atoms you have today are the once you were born with?
     Reply #207 - June 05, 2010, 01:12 AM

My original question was if Atheists believe 100% that there is no afterlife and how could they come to the conclusion as definatie if they could not disprove the existence of an afterlife. basically i was trying to figure out why Atheists weren't agnostics.

Thats because your defintion of an atheist, is not the same as theirs.   Sounds like you are assuming that an atheist knows with 100% certainty that there is no creator.  

They say until evidence is put on the table, then they will believe there is no such thing.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #208 - June 05, 2010, 01:13 AM

Atheists are some of the most misunderstood minorities.
     Reply #209 - June 05, 2010, 01:14 AM

Poor atheists  Cry

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 78 9 10 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »