Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 02:19 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
Today at 08:47 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What pregnant women won’t tell you. Ever.

(Read 19141 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What pregnant women won’t tell you. Ever.
     OP - June 16, 2010, 01:10 AM

Entertaining and informative post on what being pregnant is really like. I know its long but its funny:

http://skepchick.org/blog/2010/02/what-pregnant-women-wont-tell-you-ever/

Morning Sickness

Ok, everyone talks about morning sickness. But I don’t think it gets proper credit for being as awful as it is. Somehow, barfing endlessly for months has gained a reputation as being a romantic rite of passage. It’s not. It’s like being hungover with the flu for 6 weeks – 9 months.

People will think they’re laughing along with you as you struggle to keep anything down. They will either be completely unsympathetic or think it’s an amusing practical joke to expose you to smells that will bring on your nausea.

They will even insist that you’re wrong that the smell of chicken a block away will keep you sick for days because “but you love chicken!”

Then there’s the morning sickness fetishists. They love hearing stories about morning sickness because it means that your pregnancy is going well. It’s true, kind of. There is a correlation between the severity of morning sickness and pregnancy outcomes. But really, when you have 7 months to go, and haven’t held down more than water and saltines for weeks, you don’t give a shit.

Also, morning sickness does not necessarily mean that you will have a healthy, full
    term pregnancy either. You can puke for eight weeks straight and still miscarry… which kind of makes the whole cheering thing kind of a dick move.

Don’t be fooled into thinking “morning sickness” has anything to do with mornings. Noon doesn’t change anything. “Morning” sickness is better termed “all the damn time” sickness.  It’s sweet that Hollywood is naive enough to believe that preggos throw up three times before 9am then go on to have a normal day. And by “sweet” I mean that it makes me want to puke.

Cervix Kicks

Oh your sweet little baby is healthy and moving around and kicking. You can feel him bumping around. It’s magical.

HOLY SHIT! WHAT WAS THAT?

That? That crazy sudden pain that almost made you collapse? That feeling that someone just sent an electric fireball down your vagina and through your legs? That, my dear, was your sweet little baby kicking you in the cervix.

You can’t prepare for it. You can’t stop it. You can only hope that each time it happens, you are near something to break your fall. Or that you are in a place where no one cares if you scream.

Swelling Junk

Everyone knows things swell when you’re pregnant. Your hands swell. Your feet swell. Your face swells. Your boobs enter a room 5 minutes before you, and 10 minutes after your belly.

But no one tells you that your genitals swell. No one. And once they start, there’s nothing you can do to stop them. And it hurts.

It feels like someone punched you in the crotch with brass knuckles. Sitting hurts. Standing makes the blood rush down. Laying down keeps the pressure off, which feels better, but also helps everything engorge for when you do sit or stand.

And as the baby gets heavier, it acts like a tourniquet, trapping your entire blood supply inside your labia. At some point, you may think you’ve grown giant infected testicles. Nope. Those are your girl parts.

At this point you’ll probably stab anyone who looks like they may even be thinking about sex. If you’re not ready to stab anyone, try having sex… a little more blood rushing down there will undoubtedly get you stabbing within minutes!

Pooping

You will poop during child birth. There is nothing you can do about this. Pushing is pushing.

Your doctor and husband (or other coach) will tell you that you didn’t so that you’re not too embarrassed to keep going. You’ll assume they’re being honest. You’ll brag to everyone that you didn’t. Then your husband will get drunk a year and a half later and laugh at you for dooking yourself… then laugh at you for thinking you didn’t. You’ll punch him in the balls, but it won’t change anything because he’s right. You did.

You pooped your bed while a room full of people were staring at your bloody gaping vagina.

Bloody gaping vagina

Yeah. That’s where the baby comes out. People will be staring at it intently. I have nothing else to add.

Using TP

After giving birth, you will be instructed to stop using toilet paper. Not forever, but for a while. You will be sent home with a little squirt bottle to use to clean yourself after you pee.

Eventually your doctor will clear you to wipe yourself again. But really, it’s not like the TP thing matters. You’ll be too bloody down there for it to really make a difference. Every time you pee, you’ll want to jump into the shower to wash your unusable bloody sexy parts… and your bloody thighs… even your bloody calves and ankles, too, at least for a few days.

http://skepchick.org/blog/2010/02/what-pregnant-women-wont-tell-you-ever/

Sooo...never getting preggers or anything. jeez.
    Plus, people suck.
    Also, the comments are funny.

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
  • Re: What pregnant women won’t tell you. Ever.
     Reply #1 - June 16, 2010, 01:14 AM

Cheesy  I think that seals the whole child-free deal for me Cheesy

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: What pregnant women won?t tell you. Ever.
     Reply #2 - June 16, 2010, 01:16 AM

Lol, exactly  Cheesy

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #3 - June 16, 2010, 01:16 AM

Cheesy That's awesome! So you're psyched to have a kid now Angel, right?

Camille Paglia had it 100% correct-- there's a reason they used to have men in the waiting room prior to the feminist movement-- childbirth is not beautiful; it's painful, messy and gross. Yeah it's "natural", but nature ain't always so pretty.

fuck you
     Reply #4 - June 16, 2010, 01:19 AM

Another wonderful thing to look forward to: getting your vagina cut up.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #5 - June 16, 2010, 01:20 AM

Jesus they fucking stitch you up.  Well the cutting up part is worse. God, my stomach is so queasy right now.

Reply #6 - June 16, 2010, 01:32 AM

That's an awesome read. The comments are great too. Smiley

I remember one of Fay Weldon's lines about giving birth. She described it as like shitting a huge pineapple.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - June 16, 2010, 01:34 AM

Another wonderful thing to look forward to: getting your vagina cut up.

Yeah my mum had to have that. My sister and I were big babies. She wasn't impressed.

Reply #8 - June 16, 2010, 02:18 AM

Glad to be male  dance

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #9 - June 16, 2010, 02:23 AM

oh god... mysmilie_977

Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius,
    et quod est superius est sicut quod est inferius,
    ad perpetranda miracula rei unius.
     Reply #10 - June 16, 2010, 02:29 AM

but honestly i can only imagine. my mom gave birth to me and my 2 younger siblings all cesarean. people in Pakistan butchered her. you ladies in the west really have it better despite the things mentioned.

Here are the infant mortality rates:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #11 - June 16, 2010, 02:33 AM

And creationists say: intelligent design?  piggy

Kangoroos due to evo have babies more intelligently! I wonder why other mammals have not picked that up?

Reply #12 - June 16, 2010, 02:38 AM

Here is a video. That is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcdWhA0DkaA&feature=youtube_gdata

Reply #13 - June 16, 2010, 02:40 AM

And creationists say: intelligent design?  piggy

Kangoroos due to evo have babies more intelligently! I wonder why other mammals have not picked that up?

Different survival strategy. We don't have the genes for that, and in case pushing toddlers around in a pram is a shitload easier than carrying them.

Reply #14 - June 16, 2010, 02:55 AM

that is amazing...

Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius,
    et quod est superius est sicut quod est inferius,
    ad perpetranda miracula rei unius.
     Reply #15 - June 16, 2010, 02:57 AM

Go read about hyenas if you want scary birth stories.

Reply #16 - June 16, 2010, 02:58 AM

In other news, some women have orgasms while giving birth  Roll Eyes.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/549727/orgasmic_birth_discovering_sexuality_pg2.html?cat=52
    Orgasmic Birth: Discovering Sexuality in Childbirth

Childbirth is usually painful and exhausting, but what most women don't know is that we also are biologically designed to experience physical pleasure in giving birth. Men's sexuality is limited to their desire for intimacy with women, but women's sexuality involves making love, giving birth and nursing. In each of these cases, breasts enlarge, nipples become sensitive, blood flow increases, vaginal lubrication increases, and production of the hormone Oxytocin soars.

Just look at the similarity in behavior between sex and birth. Both result in vulnerability, and the necessity for a safe, comfortable, and loving environment. In both cases women's inhibitions decrease and she breaths deeply, senses pressure and stretching, she sighs, groans, and sometimes screams.

One small survey was conducted to see how many women experience birth as sexual. Of the 151 women, 21% had at least one orgasmic birth1. But the author of the study suggested that orgasmic birth occurs most frequently in unmedicated labors, which may be why it doesn't happen more often.

What is orgasmic birth? With the usually painful and intense contractions, is it possible to feel pleasure? As it turns out, pain and pleasure are not opposites2. Obviously reactions to labor vary from woman to woman and birth to birth, but it is quite possible to experience both intense pain and intense pleasure at the same time.

Science shows us that feeling pain releases stress hormones. When stress hormones are surging through your body, such as in labor, your body will release endorphins. Endorphins are your body's natural pain killer, causing the dream-like "Laborland" state-of-being that unmedicated women feel as labor progresses.

The Laborland state-of-being can in itself bring women a source of pleasure in labor, but as the pushing stage begins, the feeling of pleasure can intensify. One woman described the act of pushing her baby "down into that space just before orgasm when women know how God must have felt creating this planet"3. But this example is not singular. Here is another example of orgasmic birth: "This birth was not only painless, but very pleasurable ... It took us by surprise. As the baby crowned, I knew from Jean's look and sounds that she was having an explosive orgasm, which rolled on and on"4.

Some women experience a kind of pleasure that they would not associate with an orgasm. One woman described it this way: "Birth is a dark, private, and secret opening up of our ancient sexual selves ... when the baby comes out all slick and new, we are in ecstasy, enraptured by the most heightened hormonal load we will ever know"5.

Why is it that some women feel this way and others don't? Is there a way that all women could feel sexual in birth? Sexual feelings during pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding will vary from woman to woman. In any case, it is helpful to broaden your knowledge and appreciation of your sexual self. In the end, whatever you feel or want, is right for you.

There are a few keys to encouraging an orgasmic birth experience. These include finding an environment and care provider with whom you feel completely open to expressing yourself fully in labor, addressing any fears you have about birth and motherhood, remaining unmedicated to allow the release of endorphins, and staying upright during labor and birth unless you are too tired.

Although women who use drugs in labor can still feel empowered by their birth experiences, those who experience the body's natural pain-pleasure riddle find a powerful fierceness that comes up in them as a result of giving birth. That fierceness helps mothers to overcome the challenges of parenting that they otherwise could not picture themselves overcoming.

In appropriate situations like prolonged or stuck labor, and induction, medications are very useful; but in most cases, the mother's body and her baby's body are expecting nature to take its course, and are better able to handle labor that way, both receiving great pleasure from a positive and natural birth.

Reply #17 - June 16, 2010, 03:06 AM

Go read about hyenas if you want scary birth stories.

Yup, forgot about hyenas. That is torture indeed. Seen a program sometime ago. Horrible stuff!

Reply #18 - June 16, 2010, 03:10 AM

Uh yeah I don't think I can ever ask a woman to go through this because God knows I wouldn't.

On another note, I think I'm gonna start calling my mom more often. For some reason I can’t help feeling guilty about not calling enough  whistling2
     Reply #19 - June 16, 2010, 05:04 AM

Oh BD, you should, I always do and when ever I see her I always kiss her head. I understand how difficult to be carrying a 12 KG for a couple of months constantly.  Cry

Reply #20 - June 16, 2010, 05:11 AM

Okay, that does it for me!  NO CHILDREN!!!

Plus, having experienced the first trimester several times and how much THAT sucks I don't want to go through it again, especially after the heartbreak of having a miscarriage.  Cry

The other thing I hated about being pregnant was having to watch every little thing I ate for fear of involuntarily giving my unborn child some kind of illness or lifelong allergy.

Human procreation sucks, but I guess that's the price we pay for enjoying sex so much.  Wink

Don’t be fooled into thinking “morning sickness” has anything to do with mornings. Noon doesn’t change anything. “Morning” sickness is better termed “all the damn time” sickness.  It’s sweet that Hollywood is naive enough to believe that preggos throw up three times before 9am then go on to have a normal day. And by “sweet” I mean that it makes me want to puke.

SO TRUE!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #21 - June 16, 2010, 06:02 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy At this rate we shall be the last humans on earth! But looking at it from another angle,isn't it making it too easy for Islam to conquer the world?After the last of the infidels have left this world they shall have an open field! But I doubt if they could resist  the temptation of killing for Allah. and there would be big wars fought between the 'TRUE ' followers and the 'PSEUDOS'  finmad.All in all a very depressing scenario! I beseech Mother[N] to do something and make it easy for the infidel females to deliver babies.

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #22 - June 16, 2010, 06:22 AM

Oh BD, you should, I always do and when ever I see her I always kiss her head. I understand how difficult to be carrying a 12 KG for a couple of months constantly.  Cry

I wasn't that fat  Cry

Was I?  wacko
     Reply #23 - June 16, 2010, 06:29 AM

I wasn't that fat  Cry

Was I?  wacko

Cheesy no no you were not that fat, but with the liquid inside the sac and the placenta prgnancy can add upto 12 KG in weight to the mother. The baby would only reach an average of 3 to 5 Kgs. Afro

Reply #24 - June 16, 2010, 06:32 AM

Jesus RIBS stop making me feel guilty for not calling my mom  Cry

12 kgs  wacko
     Reply #25 - June 16, 2010, 06:33 AM

Eh.. I thought most of this was common knowledge? Also I see that the woman is speaking out of experience, hers but possibly other women's, but it's not always like that. Some women don't get morning sickness at all, for instance. My sister is currently pregnant and she pukes maybe once a day and then everything is fine.

I had never heard about the swollen vagina but I'll take her word for it. However, several women have their libido hit the roof during pregnancy so again, it must not be that uncomfortable for each one of them to have sex.

Finally, for the pooping part, the torn up and bloody vagina and not using TP, there is a solution. It's called c-section. The post-op effects aren't the nicest, but at least your genitals aren't so affected.

And there's no way on earth I'm letting the father in the birth room.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #26 - June 16, 2010, 06:38 AM

I was at my sons birth, it is the single most mind-blowing event in my life ever. Once he had crowned ( head out ,body still to come out )  the doctor asked if I wanted to support the head and wait for the last couple of pushes. He didnt have to ask twice. Yes sure, reading the graphic nature of the process above it sounds grusome and gory but becuase it was my own child I was so blissed out by the whole thing none of that registered ,I guess you realise that this is something way  more important than your sensitivy to body matter and yukky pungent fluids. I dont even recall if she shat herself which is a shame becuase it would have been the perfect nugget of information to use during one of the pre-divorce arguements.

'' I want a divorce, you are a prick'    '''  you can have it , elastic anus '

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #27 - June 16, 2010, 06:39 AM

Grin I love KL
     Reply #28 - June 16, 2010, 11:39 AM

there is a solution. It's called c-section. The post-op effects aren't the nicest, but at least your genitals aren't so affected.

I always thought that if I ever did get preggers, I'd force/bribe/cajole my doc to go c-section on me. No way I'm going through this shit in my nether regions... stomach scars I can deal with. Scars can be fun, actually. But I'd rather not make too much of a mess downtown, too much important, fun equipment down there to risk.

Reply #29 - June 16, 2010, 11:42 AM

I don't get it.. don't we all know this? Or are there people out there who really believe a pregnancy is a neat and clean affair.

And thank you Kaffir Latte for adding some balance here.  Afro

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »