Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Re: Libya

(Read 54176 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Re: Libya
     Reply #330 - August 23, 2011, 09:25 AM

The way I see it, NATO operations actually made the demonstrations become full on armed struggle because those airstrikes etc gave Gaddafi the perfect excuse to call it a 'imperialist plot' that suddenly forced the initial neutrals to take sides. The NATO push ruined the chance of making Gaddafi being forced away from power like how Mubarak fell in Egypt because the initial protests across the country were pretty strong.

If US etc really wanted to help (and they had an interest in neutering Libya) they would have attempted intense diplomatic means forcing Gaddafi to step down and flee the country with the army being encouraged to defect.

Instead, when NATO intervened it caused the hesitant army to be forced to take sides and immediately go to Gaddafi's call rallying to fight the protesters, making it a rebellion. All gains made by the protesters were reversed and advances from Benghazi halted. A lot of rebels were even killed by NATO friendly fire in initial weeks because they clearly were acting on impulse rather than strategy.

This slowed progress until now. What happens after Gaddafi is open for anyone to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRvXzWs5a4

Then at the same time, is the LACK OF ACTION towards a much more brutal reaction towards dissenters that would make Libya seem pale: BAHRAIN!

What the al-Khalifa brutes and their foreign mercenaries (notably Pakistanis!) and Saudi troops have done to the Bahraini people demanding free and fair elections and more public power is barbaric! Yet since Bahrain is a US ally and home of the US naval fleet in the Persian Gulf, only random statements were made by the 'champions of democracy' without any conviction as the tyrants brutalised their own people to keep power! Media coverage was deliberately kept limited, and kept back door by these 'champions' who ended up using the "Iran is causing unrest in Shia-majority Bahrain" excuse to avoid doing the actual right thing!

Now that I think of it, with Bahrain's dissenters all but crushed, Libya was more like a smokescreen to avoid Bahrain's people rising up and taking back their country.

Hypocrites in the West, you never cease to amaze me!  Roll Eyes

+1

IMO, i think the hypocrites in west are more interested in the resources seeing that Libya has Oil and Gold.

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16054883

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #331 - August 23, 2011, 10:06 AM

Cry

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #332 - August 23, 2011, 10:13 AM

^I love western people but i dont trust the governments.

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #333 - August 23, 2011, 10:32 AM

naija... we dont trust them either!!   finmad

look at the current mess we are in!  When I lived in Nevada, we
    had upwards of 19 percent unemployment because of Harry friggin Reid.
    THEN he hires chinese companies to build wind turbines.  I emailed him
    with "WTF!!"  he had the audacity to tell me that americans didnt have
    the know how to build them.   finmad finmad finmad

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
  • Re: Libya
     Reply #334 - August 23, 2011, 10:40 AM

naija... we dont trust them either!!   finmad

look at the current mess we are in!  When I lived in Nevada, we
    THEN he hires chinese companies to build wind turbines.  I emailed him
    with "WTF!!"  he had the audacity to tell me that americans didnt have
    the know how to build them.
       finmad finmad finmad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK0Y9j_CGgM

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #335 - August 23, 2011, 10:46 AM

naija... we dont trust them either!!   finmad

look at the current mess we are in!  When I lived in Nevada, we
    THEN he hires chinese companies to build wind turbines.  I emailed him
    with "WTF!!"  he had the audacity to tell me that americans didnt have
    the know how to build them.   finmad finmad finmad

I never like the chinese businessmen at all, they just come over to our country and take our resources without employing Nigerians or even donate their percentage of profits to the area that they are operating. I hate how they are exploiting our nation and they are even worse than the western corporations who they at least give scholarships to students and contribute to the area where they are operating.

Reply #336 - August 23, 2011, 11:17 AM

off topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wind_turbine_manufacturers

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/large_wind_turbines_generators_manufacturers.htm
    http://www.clipperwind.com/

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/small_wind_generators_turbines_manufacturers.htm
    http://energy.sourceguides.com/businesses/byP/wRP/lwindturbine/byB/mfg/byN/byName.shtml

and i could go on and on and on.
    We already have the technology, the scientists, the engineers, and
    the MANPOWER to make it happen, and have been making it happen
    for decades throughout the states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, California, etc)

His power play had NOTHING to do with what we already have available.

Anywayz.. back to libiya...

Helen Keller
     Reply #337 - August 23, 2011, 11:44 AM

go
    ^I love western people but i dont trust the governments.

Is there a government that can be trusted? I'm still kind of confused in the type of government the rebels seek?

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #338 - August 23, 2011, 11:47 AM

go
    Is there a government that can be trusted? I'm still kind of confused in the type of government the rebels seek?

They seek to create an idyllic anarcho communist paradise where there are no laws or rulers and the markets and private property shall be abolished.

Their leader is Q-man/Racoon Rapist. btw

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #339 - August 23, 2011, 12:31 PM

lol of course

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #340 - August 23, 2011, 06:30 PM

The way I see it, NATO operations actually made the demonstrations become full on armed struggle because those airstrikes etc gave Gaddafi the perfect excuse to call it a 'imperialist plot' that suddenly forced the initial neutrals to take sides. The NATO push ruined the chance of making Gaddafi being forced away from power like how Mubarak fell in Egypt because the initial protests across the country were pretty strong.

If US etc really wanted to help (and they had an interest in neutering Libya) they would have attempted intense diplomatic means forcing Gaddafi to step down and flee the country with the army being encouraged to defect.

Instead, when NATO intervened it caused the hesitant army to be forced to take sides and immediately go to Gaddafi's call rallying to fight the protesters, making it a rebellion. All gains made by the protesters were reversed and advances from Benghazi halted. A lot of rebels were even killed by NATO friendly fire in initial weeks because they clearly were acting on impulse rather than strategy.

This slowed progress until now. What happens after Gaddafi is open for anyone to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRvXzWs5a4

Then at the same time, is the LACK OF ACTION towards a much more brutal reaction towards dissenters that would make Libya seem pale: BAHRAIN!

What the al-Khalifa brutes and their foreign mercenaries (notably Pakistanis!) and Saudi troops have done to the Bahraini people demanding free and fair elections and more public power is barbaric! Yet since Bahrain is a US ally and home of the US naval fleet in the Persian Gulf, only random statements were made by the 'champions of democracy' without any conviction as the tyrants brutalised their own people to keep power! Media coverage was deliberately kept limited, and kept back door by these 'champions' who ended up using the "Iran is causing unrest in Shia-majority Bahrain" excuse to avoid doing the actual right thing!

Now that I think of it, with Bahrain's dissenters all but crushed, Libya was more like a smokescreen to avoid Bahrain's people rising up and taking back their country.

Hypocrites in the West, you never cease to amaze me!  Roll Eyes

+1

IMO, i think the hypocrites in west are more interested in the resources seeing that Libya has Oil and Gold.

Yawn. Yeah okay, everyone in the West has horns and a tail and is a hypocrite. Only teh brudders in the East and in Africa are pure and righteous and know The TruthTM. Of course. How could it be any other way?  Roll Eyes

Are you kids incapable of remembering even a few months back? Gaddafi wasn't the slightest bit interested in a diplomatic solution. He had already given the finger to that. The armed forces were already obeying his orders before NATO acted. The very first NATO action was the air strike against Gaddafi's tanks when they were just about to enter Benghazi and slaughter anyone who had even looked like opposing Gaddafi. The people of Benghazi were saved by that strike, literally at the last minute. I remember it vividly. Obviously, neither of you do.

Yes, the lack of progress in Bahrain is deplorable. Yes, you can argue that this means the action in Libya is hypocritical. However, that alone does not mean it's a bad thing. Doing one thing right is better than doing nothing at all right.

As for access to Libya's gold and oil, the West already had that. Libya was open for business under Gaddafi and things were flowing out of the country anyway. The revolution was an interruption to business as usual.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #341 - August 23, 2011, 07:01 PM

Same to see what they did to Gadaffi's compound. I was mad upset.
     Reply #342 - August 23, 2011, 07:02 PM

Meh. Gotta expect that sort of thing. There was heavy fighting there. Personally I'm just glad they have finally captured it as it's another step towards getting the country back to normal.

Reply #343 - August 23, 2011, 07:07 PM

Meh. Gotta expect that sort of thing. There was heavy fighting there. Personally I'm just glad they have finally captured it as it's another step towards getting the country back to normal.

Normal or another Iraq, Afghanistan? it's just created a vacuum for extremist Islamic parties to try and take control. I wish Saif Al Islam makes it out alive. He was a respectable western educated man, he could have fix the country. These rebels are saying pro-democracy now but in reality many of them are Islamic extremists, it was evident from the fact they were shouting "takbeer" and "Allaukbar" while firing guns haphazardly.
     Reply #344 - August 23, 2011, 07:08 PM

Yawn. Yeah okay, everyone in the West has horns and a tail and is a hypocrite. Only teh brudders in the East and in Africa are pure and righteous and know The TruthTM. Of course. How could it be any other way? 

Are you kids incapable of remembering even a few months back? Gaddafi wasn't the slightest bit interested in a diplomatic solution. He had already given the finger to that. The armed forces were already obeying his orders before NATO acted. The very first NATO action was the air strike against Gaddafi's tanks when they were just about to enter Benghazi and slaughter anyone who had even looked like opposing Gaddafi. The people of Benghazi were saved by that strike, literally at the last minute. I remember it vividly. Obviously, neither of you do.

Yes, the lack of progress in Bahrain is deplorable. Yes, you can argue that this means the action in Libya is hypocritical. However, that alone does not mean it's a bad thing. Doing one thing right is better than doing nothing at all right.

As for access to Libya's gold and oil, the West already had that. Libya was open for business under Gaddafi and things were flowing out of the country anyway. The revolution was an interruption to business as usual

Fair enough, but this bolded part, why you getting cranky old man? Tongue and its not like i said all the westerners are hypocrites, im referring to the governments,hell i dont even trust Nigerian government as well because of how corrupt our leaders are. By the way i had you in mind when i posted this expecting your reply because you seem to be more aware of whats happening in the middle east than most of us here.

Reply #345 - August 23, 2011, 07:13 PM

Of course governments are hypocrites. In practice they have no other option. That's the reality of international politics.

I'm not particularly cranky, just rather amused and a bit bored at the stereotypical anti-Western conspiracy theory mindset evident in the posts I quoted.

Something you may wish to think about: Western governments are composed of Western people. Really. You can't completely separate the two.

Reply #346 - August 23, 2011, 07:17 PM

Didn't Al Islam become an "Islamist" in his final weeks? "Respectable" and "western educated" really mean jack diddly squat.  The suit is there just to impress the fools who think Brooks Brothers =  Western Liberal

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #347 - August 23, 2011, 07:23 PM

Of course governments are hypocrites. In practice they have no other option. That's the reality of international politics.

I'm not particularly cranky, just rather amused and a bit bored at the stereotypical anti-Western conspiracy theory mindset evident in the posts I quoted.

Something you may wish to think about: Western governments are composed of Western people. Really. You can't completely separate the two.

Well there is a slight  thing of the sum is more than the parts.  Western governments are made up of Western people in power.  I'm sure G W Bush didn't go home and bitch slap his kids and beat his wife, but the choices made under the influence of power may be very "dickish" while the people may not be.

Though funny enough I hear plenty of bullshit like NATO has been far worse than Ghaddaffi in Libya and other things. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #348 - August 23, 2011, 07:29 PM

Oh sure, but my point was that people in Western governments frequently hold normal Western values that are held by large segments of the population. The reason I mentioned that is because when Western politicians claimed to be horrified by what was happening in Libya, they most likely really were horrified. They're human. Not absolutely everything they say and do is motivated by money and power.

I'll also point out that the action in Libya did have UN sanction, and UN sanction cannot be gained purely because a few people in the West want it. It has to get a much broader consensus than that. NATO was just the bloc that supplied the actual grunt to do the job. For all the posturing of non-Western people over the action in Libya, the plain fact is that nobody else was prepared to do a damned thing.

Oh, and apart from the standard anti-Western sentiment the other thing that got up my nose was the complete ignorance and attempts to rewrite obvious historical facts that were only a few months old. That's excusable when talking about events that are half a century or more old, but it is really silly when we're only talking about six months.

Reply #349 - August 23, 2011, 07:35 PM

Didn't Al Islam become an "Islamist" in his final weeks? "Respectable" and "western educated" really mean jack diddly squat.  The suit is there just to impress the fools who think Brooks Brothers =  Western Liberal

He did that to appease the Islamic nuts who wrecking his country. The guys father was pretty much an Islamic apostate. These guys were secularists, just like Saddam Hussein and his baath party. 
     Reply #350 - August 24, 2011, 12:12 AM

IIRC Hamas were amongst those who were against any "outside interference by imperialist wankers", but of course that interference/assistance was essential for the success of the revolution, which they are now apparently in favour of.

Hamas were one of the first to condemn Gaddafi! Seems like you don't remember things as vividly as you think  Tongue

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2011-02/22/content_12060722.htm

The people of Benghazi were saved by that strike, literally at the last minute. I remember it vividly. Obviously, neither of you do.

Is there a NATO live feed I don't know about  Huh?

They're not doing it for the right reasons, are they?

Oh sure, but my point was that people in Western governments frequently hold normal Western values that are held by large segments of the population. The reason I mentioned that is because when Western politicians claimed to be horrified by what was happening in Libya, they most likely really were horrified. They're human. Not absolutely everything they say and do is motivated by money and power.

I'll also point out that the action in Libya did have UN sanction, and UN sanction cannot be gained purely because a few people in the West want it. It has to get a much broader consensus than that. NATO was just the bloc that supplied the actual grunt to do the job. For all the posturing of non-Western people over the action in Libya, the plain fact is that nobody else was prepared to do a damned thing.

Oh, and apart from the standard anti-Western sentiment the other thing that got up my nose was the complete ignorance and attempts to rewrite obvious historical facts that were only a few months old. That's excusable when talking about events that are half a century or more old, but it is really silly when we're only talking about six months.

I don't think large segments of western people support the foreign policy of their leaders. Afaik the UN sanction was to protect civilians (by using depleted uranium  Roll Eyes ) not to take sides in a civil war or help with regime change--if it did the Russians and Chinese wouldn't have voted in favour of it.

Also Gaddafi didn't start killing his own people a few months ago, he's been at it for decades. Where was the great heroic NATO then? Wasn't it the Italians who were getting cosy with him? The Brits sending the SAS to train his forces?  whistling2
     Reply #351 - August 24, 2011, 12:16 AM

He did that to appease the Islamic nuts who wrecking his country. The guys father was pretty much an Islamic apostate. These guys were secularists, just like Saddam Hussein and his baath party. 

I was told about how Gaddafi had these Islamists guys murdered in the 70s (or 80s I don't remember) coz they were telling him to accept hadith, apparently he rejected the sunnah. And in 2001 at an arab meeting he said the Al-Aqsa mosque was just a mosque of no significance which really irked a lot of people. So I guess in the eyes of many he was an apostate.
     Reply #352 - August 24, 2011, 12:39 AM

I don't much like all these rebels shouting "allahu akbar". Allah had no part in this victory, toyota pick up trucks did. Toyota Akbar!  Afro

Formerly known as Iblis
     Reply #353 - August 24, 2011, 03:07 AM

I don't much like all these rebels shouting "allahu akbar". Allah had no part in this victory, toyota pick up trucks did. Toyota Akbar!  Afro

I think that's just a cultural thing innit. At least I hope so.

Yeah an I am super ugly, I can't even beat my chest am too skinny and when I roaaar to attract women, they laugh at me, because it sounds like a girl screaming. I can't even attract any bitches!  Cry

Reply #354 - August 24, 2011, 03:34 AM

Hamas were one of the first to condemn Gaddafi! Seems like you don't remember things as vividly as you think  Tongue

And if you read what I posted again, you should realise that I was commenting on support of the NATO intervention itself, not support of Gaddafi's actions re the initial street protests.

Is there a NATO live feed I don't know about  Huh?

There were live new reports coming from Benghazi, both from residents of the city using social media and from a few remaining journalists. So no, there wasn't a live NATO feed but there were live people there who witnessed the initial NATO strike on Gaddafi's tanks.

They're not doing it for the right reasons, are they?

And precisely what reasons are they doing it for? How do you know what the real reasons are?

Before you claim that the real reason is access to Libya's oil, I did point out earlier that the West already had access to Libya's oil under Gaddafi. There were contracts signed and business ventures in operation, with all the foreign staff required. The revolution interrupted production, which is still largely stalled. This has cost businesses a lot of time and money.

Now, if making money out of Libya's oil was the primary motive for all Western actions in Libya, then the smart option would have been to help Gaddafi crush the revolution quickly. Much quicker and easier. Much less disruption to business. Ever think of that before?

I don't think large segments of western people support the foreign policy of their leaders. Afaik the UN sanction was to protect civilians (by using depleted uranium  Roll Eyes ) not to take sides in a civil war or help with regime change--if it did the Russians and Chinese wouldn't have voted in favour of it.

I think you will find that large segments of the European population actually would support this particular action. I wouldn't blame them either.

Depleted uranium is neither here nor there. It's simply standard anti-tank munitions these days, for very good reasons (ie: it's extremely effective at knocking out tanks). So if you want to protect civilians by knocking out tanks that are about to massacre them, chances are you might be firing off some DU rounds.

You're correct about the initial UN resolution. Obviously the scope was a bit murky and there has been some scope creep. Is this necessarily a bad thing? How long did you want the civil war to drag on for?

Also Gaddafi didn't start killing his own people a few months ago, he's been at it for decades. Where was the great heroic NATO then? Wasn't it the Italians who were getting cosy with him? The Brits sending the SAS to train his forces?  whistling2

Which completely misses the point. The question is not whether they should have done anything earlier, but whether or not taking action when they did was a bad thing.

ETA: You appear to think that being consistent with the actions of past adminstrations should trump all else. Your argument appears to be that because nobody took action when Gaddafi committed atrocities in past decades, nobody should ever have taken action when Gaddafi committed atrocities this year. Do you regard this as a compelling argument? Would you be prepared to make this argument to our Libyan members?

Reply #355 - August 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

And if you read what I posted again, you should realise that I was commenting on support of the NATO intervention itself, not support of Gaddafi's actions re the initial street protests.

Do you have to support NATO intervention to support the revolution?

And precisely what reasons are they doing it for? How do you know what the real reasons are?

Before you claim that the real reason is access to Libya's oil, I did point out earlier that the West already had access to Libya's oil under Gaddafi. There were contracts signed and business ventures in operation, with all the foreign staff required. The revolution interrupted production, which is still largely stalled. This has cost businesses a lot of time and money.

Now, if making money out of Libya's oil was the primary motive for all Western actions in Libya, then the smart option would have been to help Gaddafi crush the revolution quickly. Much quicker and easier. Much less disruption to business. Ever think of that before?

I think you will find that large segments of the European population actually would support this particular action. I wouldn't blame them either.

I don't know the specific reasons why they intervened but I know bringing democracy and protecting human rights weren't on the list. If I was to take a guess I'd say its something to do with replacing gaddafi with someone who wouldn't support groups like ETA or the IRA and would prefer investing more in Europe than Africa.

They did have access to libyan oil but that came at a price, releasing a convicted terrorist being one.

I don't think many brits would support action in Libya if they knew the war costs the UK over £200 million.

Depleted uranium is neither here nor there. It's simply standard anti-tank munitions these days, for very good reasons (ie: it's extremely effective at knocking out tanks). So if you want to protect civilians by knocking out tanks that are about to massacre them, chances are you might be firing off some DU rounds.

Uh huh, and does the DU disappear when the bombed tank is taken away? What happens to the soil in the area? Aren't people going to walk there? And what if those missiles hit civilians?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/toxic-legacy-of-us-assault-on-fallujah-worse-than-hiroshima-2034065.html

http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/7/7/2828/pdf

Strange way of protecting civilians.

You're correct about the initial UN resolution. Obviously the scope was a bit murky and there has been some scope creep. Is this necessarily a bad thing? How long did you want the civil war to drag on for?

Its too early to say if intervention was a good or bad thing. Who says the civil war is over? What if the tribes once allied to Gaddafi turn on the rebels? Who knows what could happen.

Which completely misses the point. The question is not whether they should have done anything earlier, but whether or not taking action when they did was a bad thing.

ETA: You appear to think that being consistent with the actions of past adminstrations should trump all else. Your argument appears to be that because nobody took action when Gaddafi committed atrocities in past decades, nobody should ever have taken action when Gaddafi committed atrocities this year. Do you regard this as a compelling argument? Would you be prepared to make this argument to our Libyan members?

Oh please, its putting things in perspective. Gaddafi wasn't born guy 6 months ago.

No that's not my argument, I don't have an argument. I just don't trust NATO or other governments-the arab regimes that were vocal against Gaddafi and even helping militarily were silent on the crimes in Bahrain. The same goes for Syria. Meh, fuck em all.
     Reply #356 - August 24, 2011, 02:48 PM

Robert Fisk: How long before the dominoes fall?

The West is offering lessons in democracy to New Libya; how to avoid the chaos we ourselves inflicted on the Iraqis

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-how-long-before-the-dominoes-fall-2342202.html
     Reply #357 - August 24, 2011, 07:26 PM

Do you have to support NATO intervention to support the revolution?

It depends whether you wanted the revolution to succeed or not. It's a pretty safe bet that without intervention it would have been crushed months ago.

I don't know the specific reasons why they intervened but I know bringing democracy and protecting human rights weren't on the list.

You have just contradicted yourself. Smiley

Uh huh, and does the DU disappear when the bombed tank is taken away? What happens to the soil in the area? Aren't people going to walk there? And what if those missiles hit civilians?

From the PDF you linked:

4. Conclusions

Finally, the results reported here do not throw any light upon the identity of the agent(s) causing the increased levels of illness and although we have drawn attention to the use of depleted uranium as one potential relevant exposure, there may be other possibilities and we see the current study as investigating the anecdotal evidence of increases in cancer and infant mortality in Fallujah.

Its too early to say if intervention was a good or bad thing. Who says the civil war is over? What if the tribes once allied to Gaddafi turn on the rebels? Who knows what could happen.

True, and definitely a valid concern. However, the Libyan people seem to be happy with it so at the moment that is good enough for me.

No that's not my argument, I don't have an argument.

Ah. Grin

Reply #358 - August 24, 2011, 09:32 PM

It depends whether you wanted the revolution to succeed or not. It's a pretty safe bet that without intervention it would have been crushed months ago.

You don't know that.

You have just contradicted yourself. Smiley

Lol, let me word it better. I don't think democracy and human rights are the top priorities of NATO. What do I think are their priorities?  Its hard to say without falling into conspiracy theories.

I think its a safe bet to say the increase in cancer and infant mortality rate was in some way related to military action. That was the only real big change in Fallujah and elsewhere in Iraq in the past decade.

True, and definitely a valid concern. However, the Libyan people seem to be happy with it so at the moment that is good enough for me.

Which Libyan people do you speak of? There are no civilians in Tripoli celebrating (yet) maybe they will, maybe they won't. We'll see.

They found a gun of Gaddafi that's decorated in diamonds:

Reply #359 - August 24, 2011, 10:07 PM

You don't know that.

If you mean that I don't know with 100% certainty that the revolution would have failed without intervention, you are correct. If you mean that I don't know that it was a pretty safe bet (ie: exceedingly likely) that the revolution would have failed without intervention, then I would say that you are incorrect. Benghazi was the revolution's last stand just before intervention became active, and Benghazi was just about to be trashed by Gaddafi's armoured divisions and air force.

In any case, even assuming some rebel elements did manage to survive the (very narrowly averted) destruction of Benghazi there is no doubt that their job would have been far more difficult without intervention. It was already difficult enough even with intervention, as the events of the past six months have shown. If Gaddafi had been able to use his air force and armoured divisions with impunity during that period, I think it is fair to say that the revolutionary forces would have been in extremely deep shit.

I realise you love taking any and every excuse to rant against NATO, but it does make sense to take account of the realities on the ground in Libya.

Lol, let me word it better. I don't think democracy and human rights are the top priorities of NATO. What do I think are their priorities?  Its hard to say without falling into conspiracy theories.

I don't think those are the only priorities, but I do think they were significant factors.

I think its a safe bet to say the increase in cancer and infant mortality rate was in some way related to military action. That was the only real big change in Fallujah and elsewhere in Iraq in the past decade.

Agreed, but there are a lot of things related to military action and a lot of things that can cause cancer. It is not necessarily solely or even primarily related to the use of DU. At the moment we simply don't have enough information.

Which Libyan people do you speak of? There are no civilians in Tripoli celebrating (yet) maybe they will, maybe they won't. We'll see.

I suspect we'll see more of them as they realise the city is safe for them to celebrate in, which hasn't been the case over the past few days. They have been keeping their heads down for months and would want to be sure they could come out without getting blown up.

They found a gun of Gaddafi that's decorated in diamonds

I think the ICC should sentence him to life imprisonment for appalling taste.

• Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 14 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »