Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
Today at 08:47 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hey New Member

(Read 22082 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Hey New Member
     Reply #120 - June 06, 2011, 07:41 PM

Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) being foretold in the Bible or more so the New Testament.

Here is the verse in the Quran telling that he was foretold in the books of the Christians and jews.

"Those who follow the apostle the unlettered prophet (prophet Muhammad - p.b.u.h) whom they find mentioned in their own (Scriptures); in the law (Torah) and the Gospel"  - 7:157

You adding Mohammed's name does not make it magically appear in that verse.

In the "Song of Solomon" with the Hebrew scripture the name "Muhammed" is mentioned.

"Hikow mamtaqiym wkulow mahamadiym zeh dowdiy wzeh ree`iy bnowt yruushaalaaim."  Song of Solomon 5:16

The word mahamad is mentioned there. It means... delightful/desirable/charming. The actual verse has nothing to do with any prophet, it reads -

His mouth is most sweet, and he is altogether desirable. This is my beloved and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

Is this how throughly you've inspected these pieces of 'evidence'?

A prophet is also foretold here as well.

"I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him." - Deuteronomy 18:18

Yes, a prophet is foretold here, but there is absolutely no indication that this refers to Mohammed. In fact, because Deutronomy 18 speaks of the tribe of Levi, and Mohammed was not from amongst them, it can't refer to him. The 'put words in his mouth' and 'he will tell them everything I command' is pretty much a generic reference to any Prophet.
     Reply #121 - June 06, 2011, 07:42 PM

How so? Care show how and where it's made up? Really like to hear your response.

Its all made up, its lies, made up and invented to bolster Islam's self-appointed status as the overlord of all religions, the end of all religions. Its a hoax. Its part of the stupid and arrogant and desperate 'retrospective theology' in which everything about Christianity and Judaism, and even by maniacs like Zakir Naik, Hinduism, is depicted as being subservient to Islam. Its done to try and convince Muslims of the supremacy and finality of Mohammad and Islam, so that Islam and Mohammad can claim righteous master-rights over all of humanity.

Its a dawah trick, which extracts things from scriptures of other religions, to both co-opt them and attempt to gain credibility for the straight up theft and unoriginality that Islam is, by suggesting that it 'completes' them.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #122 - June 06, 2011, 07:44 PM

But this isn't what I meant, Eternity. Leave aside the brain gymnastics and incredibly vague prophecies/miracles. Surely your belief in Allah is based on more than that? I just want to know what logical reasoning, what thought process, leads you to believe Allah exists. Just a bit of simple philosophy...
     Reply #123 - June 06, 2011, 07:47 PM

I'm sure you can shrug this off by saying Christianity and Judaism is false.

Well there is that too. But for the purposes of the invention of predictions of Mohammad to validate him and Islam, we take them on their own terms.

But why would past religions tell of Prophet Muhammed(PBUH)?

THEY DO NOT

You are believing lies.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #124 - June 06, 2011, 08:01 PM

Yes, a prophet is foretold here, but there is absolutely no indication that this refers to Mohammed. In fact, because Deutronomy 18 speaks of the tribe of Levi, and Mohammed was not from amongst them, it can't refer to him. The 'put words in his mouth' and 'he will tell them everything I command' is pretty much a generic reference to any Prophet.

Any Prophet yes but which Prophet "will tell them everything I command him" as clearly and coherently as Muhammed(PBUH)? False Prophets have been known before and after Muhammed(PBUH). But surely their claims of prohphethood would be valid had they brought forth any evidence to their religion. Rather none of their speech is known throughout the world. You would expect if THEY were the Prophet being spoken about that what they said would be retraced to this day and would have a leap of followers showing US why they were the "One"?

But this isn't what I meant, Eternity. Leave aside the brain gymnastics and incredibly vague prophecies/miracles. Surely your belief in Allah is based on more than that? I just want to know what logical reasoning, what thought process, leads you to believe Allah exists. Just a bit of simple philosophy...

Well logically I'm not satisfied with the thought that this Universe which started with a Bang had no Creator. I suppose you can say that giving a simple answer to a complex question begs the question "who created God"? Thus creating a infinite regress of Gods creating God every one being much more complex. I find it more comforting then this whole mass universe coming to existence out of random. I also feel that Islam makes a lot sense to this creator I believe created all of this. As such I follow it.

Reply #125 - June 06, 2011, 08:22 PM

Any Prophet yes but which Prophet "will tell them everything I command him" as clearly and coherently as Muhammed(PBUH)? False Prophets have been known before and after Muhammed(PBUH). But surely their claims of prohphethood would be valid had they brought forth any evidence to their religion. Rather none of their speech is known throughout the world. You would expect if THEY were the Prophet being spoken about that what they said would be retraced to this day and would have a leap of followers showing US why they were the "One"?

Well logically I'm not satisfied with the thought that this Universe which started with a Bang had no Creator. I suppose you can say that giving a simple answer to a complex question begs the question "who created God"? Thus creating a infinite regress of Gods creating God every one being much more complex. I find it more comforting then this whole mass universe coming to existence out of random. I also feel that Islam makes a lot sense to this creator I believe created all of this. As such I follow it.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #126 - June 06, 2011, 08:27 PM

Any Prophet yes but which Prophet "will tell them everything I command him" as clearly and coherently as Muhammed(PBUH)?

The verse makes no reference to how clear and coherent the message is.

False Prophets have been known before and after Muhammed(PBUH). But surely their claims of prohphethood would be valid had they brought forth any evidence to their religion.

I'm 99% sure that the events in that particular verse refer to a time pre-Moses, so it could easily be referring to him.

Rather none of their speech is known throughout the world. You would expect if THEY were the Prophet being spoken about that what they said would be retraced to this day and would have a leap of followers showing US why they were the "One"?

This is a form of fallacious reasoning knows as Argumentum Ad Populum - the implication that the truth value of a claim is dependent on the number of people that accept it. Truth does not work like that.

Well logically I'm not satisfied with the thought that this Universe which started with a Bang had no Creator.

I think you will be hard-pressed to find many physicists these days who would claim that the big bang is the beginning of existence, rather it is an event, under certain already-present conditions, that occured 13.7 billion years ago and gave rise to the Universe as we know it. And we see particles popping into and out of existence of their own accord, from seemingly 'nothing', for want of a better word. You have been brought up in a world subject to Newtonian physics, but that doesn't hold at the quantum level, so be wary of extrapolation. There is more to the world.

I suppose you can say that giving a simple answer to a complex question begs the question "who created God"? Thus creating a infinite regress of Gods creating God every one being much more complex.

More than that - positing a complex God like Allah not only does nothing to adsress the 'problem', but actually makes it worse. You are looking around at the world, noticing that it's complex and deciding that, because complex things don't spring out of nowhere, it must have been created. Then you make a special case for the creator not being created. But the creator you posit is more complex than this mere world, so there is more reason to think that he was created than that the Universe was - according to your logic, that is. Why not skip a step and make a special case for the Universe?

I find it more comforting then this whole mass universe coming to existence out of random.

Are you more interested in truth, or comfort?

Perhaps the Universe always existed in one form or other, perhaps there are an infinite number of Universes, but simply deferring explanation to a big man in the sky who has all these human attributes yet is supposedly nothing like man, is just childish.

I also feel that Islam makes a lot sense to this creator I believe created all of this. As such I follow it.

What logical leap is there from a first-mover god, to a god with a personality, to a god who cares about humans, to the god of Islam?
     Reply #127 - June 06, 2011, 10:38 PM

I'm gonna be away for a couple of weeks, so if you're still around we can continue this discussion then.  Smiley
     Reply #128 - June 06, 2011, 11:28 PM

The verse makes no reference to how clear and coherent the message is.
    I'm 99% sure that the events in that particular verse refer to a time pre-Moses, so it could easily be referring to him.

It can but it doesn't remove the possibility that it could be Prophet Muhammed(PBUH) as well.

This is a form of fallacious reasoning knows as Argumentum Ad Populum - the implication that the truth value of a claim is dependent on the number of people that accept it. Truth does not work like that.
    I think you will be hard-pressed to find many physicists these days who would claim that the big bang is the beginning of existence, rather it is an event, under certain already-present conditions, that occured 13.7 billion years ago and gave rise to the Universe as we know it. And we see particles popping into and out of existence of their own accord, from seemingly 'nothing', for want of a better word. You have been brought up in a world subject to Newtonian physics, but that doesn't hold at the quantum level, so be wary of extrapolation. There is more to the world.

Oh yeah I've heard of that Fallacy. I did feel that was going to be brought up when typing it. I was of the understanding it was a pretty a common theory that was taken as fact by some. But I guess your right it is a theory after all. I'm sorry but by lack of knowledge of what you say doesn't make be understand how this connects to our debate. Can you help understand better what you are saying?

More than that - positing a complex God like Allah not only does nothing to adsress the 'problem', but actually makes it worse. You are looking around at the world, noticing that it's complex and deciding that, because complex things don't spring out of nowhere, it must have been created. Then you make a special case for the creator not being created. But the creator you posit is more complex than this mere world, so there is more reason to think that he was created than that the Universe was - according to your logic, that is. Why not skip a step and make a special case for the Universe?
    Are you more interested in truth, or comfort?

I conformed to that by saying that it's a "infinite regression" I can't skip a step and make a special case for the Universe as there is a actual beginning of the Universe. Though just a theory it is highly believable. Also there is nothing of any sorts to my knowledge of a theory of the Universe being eternal. But I do understand that there is a possibility of the universe being eternal however unlikely.

Perhaps the Universe always existed in one form or other, perhaps there are an infinite number of Universes, but simply deferring explanation to a big man in the sky who has all these human attributes yet is supposedly nothing like man, is just childish.

What logical leap is there from a first-mover god, to a god with a personality, to a god who cares about humans, to the god of Islam?

Human Attributes? In Islam we know Allah has attributes that can be seen as Human attributes but is not because these are only unique to Allah. As such we do not reverend them as being Human attributes. The second God has attributes that are EXACTLY like that of a man's is the second god cease to be god. We as human's like to put God in our own comprehension and as such come up with miscalculated ideas and theories of how God can do such acts. We can't comprehend how God is. Take for example being locked in a room with only one door. You hear a knock on the door and before even opening the door have already taken vague images of what the knocker of the door might be. That analogy is to show how we as Humans go about assuming of God that which we do not know.

The First-Mover God I already shared to you why I believe as such. The God with a personality comes NOT as God does not have a personality as this is a Human trait. Is there any creator who does not care for he's creation? I find that to be a contradiction I'm afraid. God of Islam = First - Mover God. If we understand that Islam is the true religion then we come to grips that Allah exists and as such is the First Mover God. Now believing Islam is the true religion thus takes us to a complete different debate and as such I am willing to there.

Edit: I hope you can answer what I wrote.  Tongue

Reply #129 - June 07, 2011, 12:47 AM

It can but it doesn't remove the possibility that it could be Prophet Muhammed(PBUH) as well.

Sure, but that is hardly positive evidence.

Oh yeah I've heard of that Fallacy. I did feel that was going to be brought up when typing it. I was of the understanding it was a pretty a common theory that was taken as fact by some. But I guess your right it is a theory after all. I'm sorry but by lack of knowledge of what you say doesn't make be understand how this connects to our debate. Can you help understand better what you are saying?

Basically, your understanding of causality is, probably, wrong. But take heart from the fact that you are not alone. We have evolved, and we grow up/learn in, a classical world. That is, it follows Newtonian mechanics.  We 'know' certain laws of the world. Nothing can be in two places at once, for instance; no form of communication can travel faster than the speed of light; nothing can just 'appear' out of nowhere, of its own accord. And our brains are moulded by these beliefs, by these experiences. You then extrapolate these ideas and apply them to things outside of our day-to-day experience. Galaxies, atoms, whatever. Unfortunately, classical physics breaks down at those levels. Sub atomic particles can be in two places at once, particles can instantaneously interact over huge distances, virtual particles just appear and disappear, particles can have an indefinite speed etc. The 'laws of cause and effect' we hold so dear just disappear. The point is that we are so very limited, so narrow-minded, so ignorant, but we extrapolate our imperfect perception of a small part of the Universe and make broad sweeping statements about the whole. We do not yet understand causality - an uncaused event makes no sense, and an infinite series of events makes no sense. This is, IMO, a false dichotomy caused by our tunnel vision and limited comprehension.

I conformed to that by saying that it's a "infinite regression" I can't skip a step and make a special case for the Universe as there is a actual beginning of the Universe.

There is a beginning of the Universe as we know it. We do not know how the conditions present when the big bang occurred arose. They may have always been there, they may have been left over from a previous manifestation of the Universe, they may have been part of another Universe, who knows. The big bang is not the beginning of existence. Perhaps some sort of quantum fluctuations are eternal and from them Universes are made. Why postulate an incredibly complex all-powerful god?

The First-Mover God I already shared to you why I believe as such. The God with a personality comes NOT as God does not have a personality as this is a Human trait.

Allah is vain, violent, jealous, homophobic, sexist, petulant, angry and capricious. He is apparently also loving, merciful, wise, a deceiver (lol) and just. You say that's not a personality and I say it is. You build up four walls of brick and mortar, fit some doors and windows, insulate it, put a roof over the top, equip it with a kitchen and bathroom, decorate and furnish it, and then tell me I'm mad for calling it a house. OK. We can work with that.

In having these... whatever the hell they are... divine attributes... his holy vanity and his sacred petulance... that are nothing like human vices whatsoever... he is displaying a specific nature. Even if I accept the necessary existence of a first-mover god, there is no logical leap to this specific god. The existence of a prime-mover only necessitates a god that can set the world into motion. But, human that we are, we cannot help but think of anything complex in human terms. Gods betray the fingerprints of the men and women that invented them. It is no co-incidence that Allah shares all Mohammed's flaws. The Greeks had such Greek gods. The Arabs have an Arab god. If cows ruled the earth, god would moo.

Is there any creator who does not care for he's creation?

Again, a first-mover god does not even have to be capable of caring. Caring is an emotion. We care because we evolved to care. It's a childish and arrogant thought to think we are so special that we, one of millions of species, not even capable of synthesising something so simple as vitamin C because of a mutation in apes long ago, we who cannot live in most of the world, who die from falls greater than 10 feet and are often powerless at the hands of a virus, we who exist for a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things,, inhabiting a speck of dust that is orbiting one of 200 billion stars in one of 100 billion galaxies in the known Universe, wecould only have been created by an all-powerful god, who can conveniently see and hear everything, even your innermost thoughts, who is perfectly just and will reward/punish every human for their smallest of deeds, because that is the purpose of this magnificent Universe. You are the purpose of the world. Obviously.

Humanity at its most infantile. Yearning for a comforting pair of arms to make everything okay and reassure us that we are so very special. One day we're going have to grow up.
     Reply #130 - June 07, 2011, 02:43 AM

And we see particles popping into and out of existence of their own accord, from seemingly 'nothing', for want of a better word.

Really? Particles pop in and out of existence from the foundation of a quantum field. One can hardly equate the quantum field with 'nothing'.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #131 - June 07, 2011, 03:20 AM

Eternity, your argument was:

1. The ancient scriptures refer to Muhammad
    2. Muhammad existed

therefore

3. This shows prescience

therefore

4. The ancient scriptures are true

therefore

5. Muhammad, and the Quran, are true

The problem is with the first premise. My friend, you need to understand that Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages that share many common roots. My name, a classical Arabic name, has an Israeli airplane named after it. "Muhammad" in Arabic comes from the root "H-M-D". This root exists in Hebrew as well. "Muhammad" is a word in Arabic with a meaning that is used in conversation, unlike most English names. In the same way, a cognate of that word exists in Hebrew which means "desirable". This is like someone being named "Joy", and then you reading an old French text that has the word "joie" (which is the concept of "joy", happiness) in it and claiming this means that text predicted the existence of a person named "Joy".

From http://www.wrestedscriptures.com/a08islam/song5v16.html:

"If one is to accept that the word Machmad refers to Muhammad then one should look at all the occurrences of that word. When one does this one can see why only the occurrence in the Song of Solomon is cited by Moslems. The others tell one that Machmad was destroyed (2 Chron. 36:19), was to be laid waste (Isa. 64:10-11), has been taken captive by an enemy (Lam. 1:10), has been traded for food (Lam. 1:11), has been slain by God (Lam. 2:4; Hos. 9:16), has been removed by God (Ezek. 24:16), is to be profaned by God (Ezek. 24:21), is to be buried in nettles (Hos. 9:6) and been carried away by pagans into their temples (Joel 3:5). Even an unkind person would not attribute all these things to Muhammad."

Therefore, the first premise is mistaken and the argument falls.

Later on you say that *because* an ancient text (that could be right or wrong) *says* a prophet is going to rise, and a person comes and *claims* (and he could be lying or saying the truth) that he is a prophet and he ends up being the one most known/recognized/followed by the people, that this means the ancient text was right and because it is that the prophet is indeed a righteous prophet. Do you not see the circular reasoning here? I could write in a book today that someone will be able to communicate telepathically with aliens in the future. 50 years later, a person may claim to be able to do that. Can you therefore logically conclude that he must be saying the truth?

"I conformed to that by saying that it's a "infinite regression""

Wala habibi, that's basically saying *something* created Allah. And that's shirk (polytheism). For which, in Islam, you should burn for all eternity in hell. Muslims make a special case for their prime mover. But that violates Occam's Razor.

Also, do read this article, please:

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/big-bang.html

It's about the Big Bang and why it *seems* counter-intuitive to most people but why it's scientifically sound. If you found that your dog died, and you have the awesomest mom ever, you wouldn't think she killed him, right? But if you see it in a recording from a security camera? Would you follow what should "logically" (a better word would be "intuitively") be true, and claim she never harmed the dog, or would you follow the evidence and admit that for some reason she did?

But seriously, if you do nothing else, do please read that article in particular.

Cheers!

"Really? Particles pop in and out of existence from the foundation of a quantum field. One can hardly equate the quantum field with 'nothing'."

Well, matter spontaneously generating in a vacuum in a way that seemingly violates the conservation of energy principle could justly perhaps in layman's terms be described as "particles coming out of nothing", for all intents and purposes, right?

Something I just found: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mark_vuletic/vacuum.html

قل للمليحة في الخمار الأسود
    مـاذا فـعــلت بــناسـك مـتـعـبد

قـد كـان شـمّر لــلـصلاة ثـيابه
    حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

ردي عليـه صـلاتـه وصيـامــه
    لا تـقــتـلــيه بـحـق ديــن محمد
     Reply #132 - June 07, 2011, 04:16 AM

"The proposal is not that the entire universe appeared in one shot, but that a quantum vacuum fluctuation served as the seed for a local expansion of spacetime, which would automatically generate matter as a side-effect.[Q10] [Q11]

In these kinds of proposals, the quantum vacuum fluctuations occur in empty spacetime. Other proposals, most notably that of Alex Vilenkin, do not involve a preexisting spacetime at all, and rely upon quantum tunneling rather than vacuum fluctuation.[Q12]"

So in some models the universe does truly arise from nothing at all; not even spacetime.

"It's not that science makes the presence of God impossible; it just makes the absence of God possible."

... and, therefore, well, by the power vested in me by William of Ockham and Nietzsche, I pronounce God dead.

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

Reply #133 - June 07, 2011, 06:45 AM

Any Prophet yes but which Prophet "will tell them everything I command him" as clearly and coherently as Muhammed(PBUH)?

The Baha'ullah for example - have you ever read his stuff?
    Bahaism is far more coherent than Islam (prove that it's not...).
    Islam schismed the instant Muhammad died.  Not very coherent, is it? How many sects are there in Islam? How many people do you think "misinterpret" Islam?

False Prophets have been known before and after Muhammed(PBUH). But surely their claims of prohphethood would be valid had they brought forth any evidence to their religion. Rather none of their speech is known throughout the world. You would expect if THEY were the Prophet being spoken about that what they said would be retraced to this day and would have a leap of followers showing US why they were the "One"?

Actually after Christianity, Bahaism is the second most widespread religion.  This is despite the fact that it is far newer than Islam and Bahais are strongly persecuted by Muslims/Islamic states.  How can you deny how far the speech of the Baha'ullah has spread? Also they do have a leap of followers showing you that they are the one... etc.

Reply #134 - June 07, 2011, 09:30 AM

Bahaism is like Islam v2.0, - while Islam is Xtianity/Pagan v2.0.

Bahaullah fixed many of the major bugs in Islam, while still there are many left. Nevertheless,- even if anyone could come up with a totally logical and coherent beliefsystem, it still would need to have evidence which none of the faiths have.

For instance, one wouldn't expect a belief to get split and fragmented into many sects IF that belief was completely and unambiguously explained by it's prophet.
    Yet, it is something which happened with all the abrahamic religions(Bahaism included!).
    Heck, there are sects which are themselves split into minor sub-sects. Cheesy (Like with Ahmadiyyat.)

I shouldn't be here. Really. Shaytan SWT deluded ALL of us. Amen.
     Reply #135 - June 07, 2011, 12:47 PM

Great stuff muddy. Cheesy

Thanks man..  Afro

Admin of following facebook pages and groups:
    Islam's Last Stand (page)
    Islam's Last Stand (group)
    and many others...
     Reply #136 - June 07, 2011, 10:57 PM

-Snip-

Interesting points you bring up. But I'll focus on the few that bothered me.

Allah is vain, violent, jealous, homophobic, sexist, petulant, angry and capricious. He is apparently also loving, merciful, wise, a deceiver (lol) and just. You say that's not a personality and I say it is. You build up four walls of brick and mortar, fit some doors and windows, insulate it, put a roof over the top, equip it with a kitchen and bathroom, decorate and furnish it, and then tell me I'm mad for calling it a house. OK. We can work with that.

Just because you see things that are like human traits doesn't make it so. God is above that. He made these traits we hold so dear. He needs not to be put in a group as these definitions simply do not apply. Gods mercy is different then that of a humans. God only used this to put a picture in our mind so we could comprehend it. So calling God things you would call another human being simply aren't applicable.

Again, a first-mover god does not even have to be capable of caring. Caring is an emotion. We care because we evolved to care. It's a childish and arrogant thought to think we are so special that we, one of millions of species, not even capable of synthesising something so simple as vitamin C because of a mutation in apes long ago, we who cannot live in most of the world, who die from falls greater than 10 feet and are often powerless at the hands of a virus, we who exist for a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things,, inhabiting a speck of dust that is orbiting one of 200 billion stars in one of 100 billion galaxies in the known Universe, wecould only have been created by an all-powerful god, who can conveniently see and hear everything, even your innermost thoughts, who is perfectly just and will reward/punish every human for their smallest of deeds, because that is the purpose of this magnificent Universe. You are the purpose of the world. Obviously.

Just because it seems selfish doesn't make it wrong. We maybe feeble creatures but it is as such that we need God more then ever. But to move something, to start something, to begin something, shows you have a once of care. You wanted to move it therefore you cared about it. If you hadn't you wouldn't to begin with.

The problem is with the first premise. My friend, you need to understand that Hebrew and Arabic are both Semitic languages that share many common roots. My name, a classical Arabic name, has an Israeli airplane named after it. "Muhammad" in Arabic comes from the root "H-M-D". This root exists in Hebrew as well. "Muhammad" is a word in Arabic with a meaning that is used in conversation, unlike most English names. In the same way, a cognate of that word exists in Hebrew which means "desirable". This is like someone being named "Joy", and then you reading an old French text that has the word "joie" (which is the concept of "joy", happiness) in it and claiming this means that text predicted the existence of a person named "Joy".

From http://www.wrestedscriptures.com/a08islam/song5v16.html:

"If one is to accept that the word Machmad refers to Muhammad then one should look at all the occurrences of that word. When one does this one can see why only the occurrence in the Song of Solomon is cited by Moslems. The others tell one that Machmad was destroyed (2 Chron. 36:19), was to be laid waste (Isa. 64:10-11), has been taken captive by an enemy (Lam. 1:10), has been traded for food (Lam. 1:11), has been slain by God (Lam. 2:4; Hos. 9:16), has been removed by God (Ezek. 24:16), is to be profaned by God (Ezek. 24:21), is to be buried in nettles (Hos. 9:6) and been carried away by pagans into their temples (Joel 3:5). Even an unkind person would not attribute all these things to Muhammad."

Therefore, the first premise is mistaken and the argument falls.

Later on you say that *because* an ancient text (that could be right or wrong) *says* a prophet is going to rise, and a person comes and *claims* (and he could be lying or saying the truth) that he is a prophet and he ends up being the one most known/recognized/followed by the people, that this means the ancient text was right and because it is that the prophet is indeed a righteous prophet. Do you not see the circular reasoning here? I could write in a book today that someone will be able to communicate telepathically with aliens in the future. 50 years later, a person may claim to be able to do that. Can you therefore logically conclude that he must be saying the truth?

"I conformed to that by saying that it's a "infinite regression""

Wala habibi, that's basically saying *something* created Allah. And that's shirk (polytheism). For which, in Islam, you should burn for all eternity in hell. Muslims make a special case for their prime mover. But that violates Occam's Razor.

Also, do read this article, please:

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/big-bang.html

It's about the Big Bang and why it *seems* counter-intuitive to most people but why it's scientifically sound. If you found that your dog died, and you have the awesomest mom ever, you wouldn't think she killed him, right? But if you see it in a recording from a security camera? Would you follow what should "logically" (a better word would be "intuitively") be true, and claim she never harmed the dog, or would you follow the evidence and admit that for some reason she did?

But seriously, if you do nothing else, do please read that article in particular.

Cheers!

"Really? Particles pop in and out of existence from the foundation of a quantum field. One can hardly equate the quantum field with 'nothing'."

Well, matter spontaneously generating in a vacuum in a way that seemingly violates the conservation of energy principle could justly perhaps in layman's terms be described as "particles coming out of nothing", for all intents and purposes, right?

Something I just found: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mark_vuletic/vacuum.html

I understand what you're saying but note that there are even more verses in the New Testament and the Old testament prophesying of Prophet Muhammed(PBUH). Not only are there more but they used the term "The Praised One" in which Arabic means Muhammed.  Here are a few:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew [it] unto you." John 16:7-14

The word "Comforter" is translated from "Paraclete"(Ho Parakletos in Greek) Parakletos in Greek is interpreted as "an advocate"

Jesus(Isa)(PBUH) is also called the "Parakleto" though in a different meaning.

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate(parakletos) with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."1 John 2:1

In the Greek manuscripts the word "Parakelto" is used but when translated the translators purposely changed the meaning. Now why would that be?

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate(parakletos) with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."1 John 2:1

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter(parakletos), that he may abide with you for ever" John 14:16

Now if we translated them to the same word. We have Jesus(Isa)(PBUH) being spoken of as "parakletos" and foretelling of a "parakletos".

Reply #137 - June 08, 2011, 01:16 AM

ill wait for the others to show how that's incorrect because I'm on my phone but you have to love it.  The Jewish and Christian scriptures are corrupted hopelessly garbled.  Now here is a scripture from the New Testament...

wait didn't you say that the new testament was corrupted?

Yes but if a scripture is found to support Islam ( which that one doesn't) then it isn't corrupted.  See? Logic!

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #138 - June 08, 2011, 01:23 AM

The findings of prophecy of Prophet Muhammed isn't the central reason of belief I have for the Religion. Rather it's a side note to compliment the central reason.
     Reply #139 - June 08, 2011, 04:03 AM

"I understand what you're saying but note that there are even more verses in the New Testament and the Old testament prophesying of Prophet Muhammed(PBUH). Not only are there more but they used the term "The Praised One" in which Arabic means Muhammed."

1. Did you read my entire post? I addressed every single point that you just raised. I'm not trying to be mean, but I addressed everything you just said yet you seemed to ignore it. Please read what I write.
    2. Yes, there are other verses and as I showed they all refer to the person in question *negatively*
    3. *Even if they didn't*, as I said, Hebrew and Arabic share many words. Refer to my Joy/joie analogy.

And then you proceeded to quote the New Testament apparently speaking of a prophet to come and then assuming this refers to Muhammad. At least when you quoted the Old Testament, you had a word that sounded like Muhammad to back up your claim (despite the fact that this is normal considering the proximity of the languages, that the verse was *not* referring to a prophet or even to a person coming in the future, and that the word is not even a name but used as an adjective). Now you're just seeing instances of "prophet", or "Comforter" in this case and saying this is proof of Muhammad.

Please refer to my previous post when I discussed this and showed you how this kind of circular reasoning is invalid. If you don't want to do that, here's a short version:

1. If I write about a madman who can speak to rocks in a book now
    2. And a madman appears 50 years later who claims he speaks to rocks
    3. My book does not validate his claim

Judaism and Christianity are both made-up religions that anticipate future prophets. Muhammad saw this and *claimed* to be that prophet. If Judaism and Christianity are wrong, that claim is false. If they're TRUE religions, you shouldn't be following Islam, then. If only that part is true, and the rest of the religion is corrupted, you have to PROVE why that particular part is true. And you can't do that without effectively proving the rest of the holy book to be true, therefore disproving Islam.

The only valid argument you made was that the Old Testament *appears* to refer to Muhammad by name. IF that was true, and IF there was no linguistic explanation for it, and IF it referred to a future prophet named Muhammad and not just some random dude who lived in Solomon's time, you would have a decent argument for prescience. It would still be far from a proof, but it would be something interesting to investigate. But what you did was take a word that has a cognate in Arabic after which Muhammad was named, take it out of context (and its context was often negative) and claim that because this word makes an appearance in the Torah it "predicted" Muhammad. If you don't see why this is not sound, go back to my Joy/joie analogy.

Please go over that slowly. You just made me retype everything I had already said in my earlier post. Please don't make me do this again. Please read what I said, understand it and either respond to it or concede the point.

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

Reply #140 - June 08, 2011, 04:05 AM

The findings of prophecy of Prophet Muhammed isn't the central reason of belief I have for the Religion. Rather it's a side note to compliment the central reason.

I believe Prince asked you for your strongest logical reason. What is your strongest logical reason for belief?

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

Reply #141 - June 08, 2011, 07:53 PM

@harakaat

Fine, I agree with what your saying.

Is there any other questions?
     Reply #142 - June 09, 2011, 11:37 AM

I believe Prince asked you for your strongest logical reason. What is your strongest logical reason for belief?

Anyway, I think we've asked you enough questions for your introduction thread Tongue We're really glad we have you here on this forum and hope you enjoy your time. Cheers!

حتى خـطرت له بباب المسجد

Reply #143 - June 10, 2011, 01:45 AM

That pic by Ishina gives me the creeps Run for the hills

井の中の蛙大海を知らず。
    (I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu)
    A frog in a well does not know the great sea.
     Reply #144 - June 20, 2011, 07:43 AM

Really? Particles pop in and out of existence from the foundation of a quantum field. One can hardly equate the quantum field with 'nothing'.

I would have thought putting it in inverted commas and stating 'for want of a better word' would be enough to show I don't actually mean... nothing. Evidently not Tongue
     Reply #145 - June 20, 2011, 10:42 AM

You still around, Eternity?
     Reply #146 - June 20, 2011, 02:02 PM

welcome to the forum honey  far away hug

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
     Reply #147 - June 20, 2011, 02:16 PM

I would have thought putting it in inverted commas and stating 'for want of a better word' would be enough to show I don't actually mean... nothing. Evidently not Tongue

Fair enough, but then what point were you trying to make by citing this 'nothing'?

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #148 - June 21, 2011, 12:31 AM

You still around, Eternity?

Yeah, I'm here. Ask away.
     Reply #149 - June 21, 2011, 09:07 PM

@Prince

What parts of Islam do you disagree with?

How do those parts make it wrong or error filled?
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »