Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 05:56 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
October 12, 2024, 10:11 AM

New Britain
October 12, 2024, 09:24 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 100 reasons why I don't wear a hijab. [Completed]

(Read 90483 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: 100 reasons why I don't wear a hijab. [Completed]
     Reply #30 - November 28, 2012, 10:35 PM

I found this to be a highly condescending article.
    Why is it the norm to suggest that only "ex-Muslim" or non-religious women can make conscious and personally empowering decisions in relation to their own body. We have yelled until our throats are hoarse "my body, my choice"; yet opinions voiced on here display that people maintain an opinion to the contrary. You only regard it as "feminist" and "progressive" when it meets your narrow definition of such.
     Reply #31 - November 28, 2012, 10:37 PM

Welcome Farhana. Would you like to introduce yourself? Smiley

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #32 - November 28, 2012, 10:43 PM

Welcome to the forum Farhana, please do introduce yourself in the introductions section. Smiley

Do you think that there are elements of judgment involved in the symbolism of the hijab, in relation to those who don't choose to wear it?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #33 - November 29, 2012, 12:06 AM

Brilliant thread!

39. Wearing a hijab would be an insult to those same women who fought for women to be seen by men as equals first and women second. You say a hijab doesn't stop you from doing things, your right it doesn't. But you only enjoy those privileges because of efforts made by women in history who did not.

yes

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #34 - November 29, 2012, 12:37 AM

I found this to be a highly condescending article.
    Why is it the norm to suggest that only "ex-Muslim" or non-religious women can make conscious and personally empowering decisions in relation to their own body. We have yelled until our throats are hoarse "my body, my choice"; yet opinions voiced on here display that people maintain an opinion to the contrary. You only regard it as "feminist" and "progressive" when it meets your narrow definition of such.

My mother and my aunts are covered. I don't have a single problem with that, with scarves.  It's when they tell me that every strand on my head will burn in the afterlife or showing my hair is the same as having sexual relations that I have a problem with. But that's just my family. Grin

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #35 - November 29, 2012, 08:31 AM

I found the comment about sunglasses very powerful.  Now, a religion that mandates sunglasses......

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #36 - November 29, 2012, 08:34 AM

showing my hair is the same as having sexual relations

Your family are correct.  They are following Greek medical tradition that the brain and hair are semen storage devices.  Please give elders respect for knowing what they are talking about.

http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/article.aspx?articleId=271

"Hippocratic authors hold that hair is hollow and grows primarily from either male or female reproductive fluid or semen flowing into it and congealing,"

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #37 - November 30, 2012, 02:35 AM

Wouldn't it be cooler if it were acceptable if Muslim women could just wear sunglasses instead of covering their entire face. =p

Also Farhana if she's still here.
    I never said Muslim women do not have free-will. This article is about the hijab, not the feminist movement.
    Also there are Muslim feminist out there, but it's a shame they have to bend over backwards to get what they want. It should not have to be that way, which is my point.
    They are trying to carry the ball and chain while claiming they can move and are free. Which is why Non-Muslims lift an eyebrow.  But no one can deny there are Muslim women that are feminist.

A Muslim woman should have the freedom to wear a hijab or niqab if she wants. Just as she has the right to take it off. Freedom is a two-way street not one way.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • 100 reasons why I don't wear a hijab. [Completed]
     Reply #38 - August 10, 2013, 08:00 AM

Good post.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #39 - August 18, 2013, 12:01 AM

Wow...Crunchycds your post is undeniably amazing...I don't see how anyone could argue against all those points that you have made. Sure, from a non-muslim perspective they may appear obvious/offensive but they would sure make the dawaists and the apologists pause for thought.

Outstanding  Afro

Now get me a cuppa cha!  Tongue

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #40 - August 18, 2013, 01:40 PM

A Muslim woman should have the freedom to wear a hijab or niqab if she wants. Just as she has the right to take it off. Freedom is a two-way street not one way.

Yeah, that's true...
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »