Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 07:14 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 02:19 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
Yesterday at 08:47 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Sugar makes you stupid

(Read 3572 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Sugar makes you stupid
     OP - May 16, 2012, 09:05 AM

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-sugar-stupid-high-fructose-diet-sabotages.html

A new UCLA rat study is the first to show how a diet steadily high in fructose slows the brain, hampering memory and learning — and how omega-3 fatty acids can counteract the disruption. The peer-reviewed Journal of Physiology publishes the findings in its May 15 edition.

"Our findings illustrate that what you eat affects how you think," said Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a professor of neurosurgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and a professor of integrative biology and physiology in the UCLA College of Letters and Science. "Eating a high-fructose diet over the long term alters your brain's ability to learn and remember information. But adding omega-3 fatty acids to your meals can help minimize the damage."

In the last several decades Americans have been consuming fantastic amounts of high-fructose corn syrup......Hmmm.....

Have you heard the good news? There is no God!
  • Re: Sugar makes you stupid
     Reply #1 - May 16, 2012, 09:09 AM

Interesting...

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #2 - May 16, 2012, 05:32 PM

So in that case eating fruit would make you stupid. Hmm.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - May 25, 2012, 06:20 PM

I suppose there is some truth there.

I have been taking Udo's Choice Oil Blend for my brain for now 10 years. Udo's has EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids), all those of omega 3, 6 and 9. Oils promote healthy brain. After all, your brain in dry weight only is over 60% fat. Fat-starved brain will lead you to myriad problems, such as arthritis. When brain is starved of EFAs, it will strip good fats from body, from around joints, thus leaving us with arthritis.
    10 years ago, I had oncoming arthritis, CFS & sluggish organs. My digestion system was sluggish too. At 36, I was not well and I felt like 70 in a tired body. Then one day, I nearly had a heart attack. That was a wake-up call for me. I had to do something about my health. I didn't bother to see my doctor as I disagreed with toxic medication. So I took matter into my hand. I decided to read up on medicine and nutrition for myself.
    One day, I came across a book "Optimum Nutrition" by Patrick Holford. Mind you, it was a really good book. Worth the money.

I changed my diet. As result, my health improved greatly.
    I consumed Udo's oils and take arginine and glutamine for any output of HGH in my brain. I took antioxidants as well, they safeguard my brain's fats from any damage by oxidants.
    At 46 today, I feel better than I did 10 years ago - and fitter too.

Healthy fats of omega 3, 6 and 9 are very good for the brain. They slow down your ageing process as fats help prevent shriveling of glands like the pituitary gland that secretes HGH, the hormone that signals all bodily repairs on cells, tissues, organs, etc.
     Reply #4 - November 21, 2012, 09:30 AM

I must be the stupidest person alive then Tongue
     Reply #5 - November 21, 2012, 10:10 AM

I must be the stupidest person alive then Tongue

Well we should not trust every cock bull silly science story that comes in the news..  Every one who grow sugar cane crop knows NOTHING GROWS on sugar.  And high school science kid also knows the importance of sugar in biological world.,  without Sugar there is no DNA , no ATP and no biology.. Yes if you eat too much sugar .. it will kill you., but  you can also get killed  if you drink too much water ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - November 21, 2012, 11:54 AM

Fish oils are great. I feel like I'm in the Matrix. Or in Limitless. Ok, maybe not that great, but I do feel more switched on since I started on them. Nothing out of the bounds of a placebo effect, I suppose. Though there is some supportive science behind them being productive to a healthy brain and heart, concentration levels and whatnot.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #7 - November 22, 2012, 02:34 AM

"Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning."

And from this we can extrapolate that humans shouldn't eat fruit or high fructose corn syrup or [insert pet conclusion here] unless they want to become stupid. Also, there's no mention in the article of a control group. If this is what passes for science these days then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #8 - November 22, 2012, 04:50 AM

I read somewhere that Oreos can make one depressed. It's seems as though everything gives you cancer or is harmful in some way these days.
     Reply #9 - November 22, 2012, 02:02 PM

"Gomez-Pinilla and study co-author Rahul Agrawal, a UCLA visiting postdoctoral fellow from India, studied two groups of rats that each consumed a fructose solution as drinking water for six weeks. The second group also received omega-3 fatty acids in the form of flaxseed oil and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which protects against damage to the synapses — the chemical connections between brain cells that enable memory and learning."

And from this we can extrapolate that humans shouldn't eat fruit or high fructose corn syrup or [insert pet conclusion here] unless they want to become stupid. Also, there's no mention in the article of a control group. If this is what passes for science these days then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

What you extrapolate from it is up to you. In moderation sugar is likely just fine, particularly when coupled with adequate amount of omega-3s (in salmon, walnuts, etc). Of course, most people (here in US, at least) consume vastly more than moderate, recommended amounts. That article is just a summary of the actual study, and maybe not a very good one at that. The full study mentions a control group. Indeed, there were apparently four groups of rats, only two of which were drinking fructose solution.

However well the effects on rats translate to those on humans, I still cut a lot of sugar from my diet after I read this, just in case. I have a crappy memory as is, and wouldn't want it damaged any more. What I did was stop drinking sweet beverages completely (juice, sweet tea, etc) and limited other sweets. Hard to say if memory was effected, but I did lose some weight.

Have you heard the good news? There is no God!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »