Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What's happened to the fo...
Yesterday at 07:26 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 06:30 PM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
May 26, 2024, 04:18 PM

New Britain
May 26, 2024, 10:14 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 18, 2024, 03:04 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Insomnia related to internet activity at night

(Read 3884 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Insomnia related to internet activity at night
     OP - June 11, 2012, 09:16 AM

I know a few people on CEMB complain about insomnia.

This morning on CBS News there was a piece about how insomnia is related to internet activity at night. The idea is that if you are staring at a bright screen at night you can trick your mind into thinking it is still daytime.

I can't find any article about this on the CBS website, but I googled it and found something similar here:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-Internet-Activity-at-Night-Contributes-to-Insomnia-235266674

The CBS News article recommended to get off the internet about an hour before you plan to go to bed.

They also talk about tv being bad too. But I don't think tv can be as bad for a couple of reasons:

1) When you watch tv you tend to be a lot further away from the screen so it is not like you have this bright light right in front of your face.

2) The tv is far more passive than the internet. With the tv you are not moving your fingers to type, you are not actively engaging your brain to have discussions with people, etc.

I don't suffer from insomnia, and I usually watch some tv or read before bed rather than go online. So maybe there is some merit in this concept....
  • Re: Insomnia related to internet activity at night
     Reply #1 - June 11, 2012, 09:36 AM

I think most insomniacs know this. I know I do. But the thing is that that itself doesn't cause insomnia, it just perpetrates it. After a while, I get sick of trying to sleep and just stay up. Falling and staying asleep for insomniacs is a bad experience that they avoid. It's a vicious cycle.
     Reply #2 - June 11, 2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice and the link.

Have to say though, if only insomnia was as easy to cure as switching off your computer or telly before bed.

Have heard so many times from various people things along this line:

"Get off your computer, 'cause that's why you can't sleep!!!" or, "Don't watch tv at night, that's why you can't sleep," or "Always drink milk before bed," or, "Just try to sleep." or, "You should have a hot bath before bed, I always sleep after having a hot bath," or my all time favourite, "You just need some hot sex, some happy chemicals running through your brain! That will fix it!"

Had this MTH worker once give me this huge lecture a few years back about sleep hygiene, as though I didn't know what she was going on about, apparently my insomnia was all my fault, that I should just try harder to sleep, have a glass of milk before bed-time, have a bath, get into bed at 8.30pm every night and just lie there every night until I fall to sleep etc... felt like laughing at her as though I hadn't tried hard enough to sleep every night for all those years. I've read so many books on the subject, and she just fucking bugged the shit out of me (for that lecture of hers, not to mention some other really fucking tactless comments she made to me, she really shouldn't have fucking been working in Mental Health Cheesy ), wanted to tell her to fuck off, that it wasn't as simple as having a glass of milk and trying but instead listened to her wise words and still got no fucking sleep.

Worrying about not being able to sleep and trying desperately to sleep for hours on end makes insomnia worse: so doing something, like coming on here, or watching a movie (especially one that keeps my brain from thinking too much), or doing craft projects helps me distract enough from the worrying and frustration of not being able to sleep and won't make it worse.

Yeah, some things help more than others, and some things/stuff/methods 'cause more problems or help more than others for people with insomnia, and different people have insomnia for different reasons, different people have their insomnia worsened by some things than others and some find they can find an easy solution that fixes it, and for others like me have bad insomnia most of their lives and nothing seems to work.

I long for sleep but dread it at the same time, 'cause when I sleep I have nightmares, and then can't get back to sleep again. I long to sleep, just don't want the nightmares.

I've been on sleeping tablets every night for two years now, they help 'cause I do get more sleep now days than I used to, but even the sleeping meds aren't doing for me what it does for most people. It relaxes me enough so that the swirling yucky/sad thoughts and anxiety and flashbacks aren't as bad at night (as it was), and so is easier to switch off than before I got on these tablets, however the nightmares are pretty bad still, but for some reason none of the sleeping tablets I've been on work for me the same as it does for other people and I find it very hard to fall asleep even on these tablets. I get drowsy and sleepy, but won't be able to fall asleep.

Some nights I know it's going to be a really long one, and other nights I kinda know that I might get some more sleep tonight than most nights.

I've been insomniac most of my life, in fact as far back as I can remember. Had insomnia when I was a kid, and certainly didn't have a computer screen to look at at night, or a tv to watch, so don't think computers have everything to do with insomnia, sure for some it can make insomnia worse, but for other's like me, if I didn't have something to distract me from the frustration of not being able to sleep at night, I'd seriously go bonkers.

Have tried reading books, used to be a big reader, but now days I find it really hard to concentrate on a book enough to read it. Housework is good but can be too stimulating sometimes for me, so prefer to do something that is more sedating like listening to music, or getting on here (or surfing the net), or watching a movie, painting, craft etc...

I do need a cure for my insomnia, but if switching the tv off at night and not looking at a computer screen would fix it, then I'd be fixed by now.

But thanks for the info and link anyway.  grin12
     Reply #3 - June 11, 2012, 10:37 AM

Well..... I do tend to stay up late too but I'll start reading something and then end up falling asleep/nodding at my computer, and then have to drag myself off to bed, half asleep.  The noise of the computer fans etc can actually send me to sleep if it's quiet. Grin

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #4 - June 11, 2012, 11:51 AM

I get off the computer and then get in bed to sleep, and browse the internet on my phone for another 3 hours. Then, I find something really interesting that needs to be checked out on a computer, the cycle is repeated until I am too tired to do anything.
     Reply #5 - June 11, 2012, 11:59 AM

I'm not so sure, maybe it does help maybe it doesn't, but when I was suffering from insomnia (and I am gutted that it's gone now Cry ) I was on self ban here for almost 6 months and my fb was closed down.  I barely used the internet during that time, or my PC, except when studying.

I just couldn't sleep at all.  PC or not.

and now that my insomnia has abandoned me finmad  I can barely stay up to use the internet late at night anymore.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - June 11, 2012, 12:17 PM

Hey Berbs, you want some insomnia? I have plenty to go around.
     Reply #7 - June 11, 2012, 12:25 PM

You can't just go around giving people insomnia. Don't be silly, wrap your willy.
     Reply #8 - June 11, 2012, 12:31 PM

Reply #9 - June 11, 2012, 12:34 PM

man I wish it was possible.  I don't want to sleep my life away, I'd rather be a frazzled no sleep type of person who was awake and thinking for most of my life.  Cry

I must find a way to bring it back.

Quick, someone, break my heart or something.  Over react

Reply #10 - June 11, 2012, 12:37 PM

Don't be silly, wrap your willy.

You know, a combination of insomnia and exhaustion resulting from rampant self-abuse is probably worse than insomnia on its own..
     Reply #11 - June 11, 2012, 12:37 PM

Humm. ...

I think it's a very complex subject. As in no easy answer and not the same answer for ever person.

I know I fall a sleep to the internet most nights. Works good for me.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #12 - June 12, 2012, 02:24 AM

My insomnia has gone now. I can't even seem to force myself to stay up, I become so tired, it's literally impossible, and I let myself just drift to sleep (with the laptop on Tongue ). This is only because I've pretty much given up on my work and not stressing about it, I need to sort out 'fixing' myself, getting a stronger grounding on things before I can face work because facing work means the stress level shoots up and starts shaking everything else in my life.

Stress makes me more emotional, irrational, irritable...Need ways to counter that, medicine doesn't help, tried it for two days, both times all it did was make me incredibly sleepy, but they helped me correct my sleep pattern, sleeping at night now. I don't need them any more, they don't do anything for stress even though I've been prescribed it mainly for anxiety, it's useful for insomnia.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #13 - June 12, 2012, 03:30 AM

The best cure is a good leg-over.
     Reply #14 - June 12, 2012, 03:34 AM

not so easy to get one of those.  Plus all the drama after means it's a good night sleep in preparation for the oncoming bullshit.

hardly seems worth it.  Grin

Reply #15 - June 12, 2012, 03:42 AM

And then there's the queue at the clinic...
     Reply #16 - June 12, 2012, 03:46 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

exactly, and some of those gifts are for life, not just for xmas.

not to mention the other gifts that are for 18yrs minimum.

Reply #17 - June 12, 2012, 06:15 AM

man I wish it was possible.  I don't want to sleep my life away, I'd rather be a frazzled no sleep type of person who was awake and thinking for most of my life.  Cry

I must find a way to bring it back.

Quick, someone, break my heart or something.  Over react

Cheesy

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #18 - June 12, 2012, 06:25 AM

Err, i hate to burst the bubble on who ever made that suggestion but if there are any things that makes me asleep at night as fast as the hen or my first girlfriend who sleeps on the phone whenever we talk after 9pm are as follow ; Internet browsing, Watching TV and reading books.

There are higher chances of me not being able to sleep if i dont engage in any of these three.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #19 - June 12, 2012, 06:43 AM

Yep, when I use/stare at my laptop a lot during the day/evening, I struggle to fall asleep later on.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »