Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
October 04, 2024, 01:18 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
October 03, 2024, 12:57 PM

New Britain
October 02, 2024, 07:07 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Newbie here

(Read 2787 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Newbie here
     OP - March 27, 2013, 04:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm doing this correctly. The last time I used a forum I was about 11.

For starters, I'm an ex-Muslim. It's been about 4 years. Some of the best and worst times of my life but I'm no longer Muslim.

I look back now and realize everything has been a huge problem of identity for me. Growing up, I think I got sick of having everyone push me around telling me what a girl should and shouldn't be - in and out of Islam. I grew up with brothers. Whatever I said or may done, I was told it was "unbecoming" for a "little lady" or that I shouldn't mingle with boys, even as a child.

It was odd. I was discouraged from being "Canadian" nor could I be fully Afghan as my parents wanted me to be. I thought everything they wanted was unfair. I had an odd childhood that consisted of arbitrary standards. I asked "Why?" They said, "because Afghans don't do x, y, and z. Also, Islam tells you to respect your parents. What if you make God angry? He will punish you. You'll go to hell where your skin will continuously burn off, grow back, all for the pleasure of shaitan." I'm sure you'd all agree, this is great parenting. Essentially, my parents, frustrated at the state of their lives (having left a country they were once very comfortable), boiled down my life to 3 things: "Wash dishes, make tea, and help your mother clean. If you don't, you are then not only a terrible daughter, but an improper Muslim."

I always feel out of place, both as a Canadian, a person of Persian descent, and now as an ex-Mus. When I was in high school, I gave up trying to be myself and started using the religion to make myself feel better -- ie. judge others as I have been judged. Well, I shipped myself off to university - everyone actively discouraged me -- and one day, as I was praying, I realized, I'm talking to myself. Cue agnosticism. I'm now an atheist.

I've been active at reddit for over a year, working with others at r/exmuslim. I don't know how stringent you guys are about disclosing details, so, I'll refrain from mentioning my username.

I'm based in and out of Toronto. I'm neither here nor there. I'm sort of everywhere. I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting a couple of people from this lovely forum, so, I thought, why not. I also want to take initiative and build a relationship between r/exmuslim and the CEMB.

Thanks for reading. I hope to keep up with you guys.

- ears_to_here

http://exmuslim.reddit.com/
    https://twitter.com/RedditExMuslims
  • Newbie here
     Reply #1 - March 27, 2013, 04:09 AM

Hey! Glad you joined up Wink

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Newbie here
     Reply #2 - March 27, 2013, 04:44 AM

HI, here is a parrot Smiley  parrot

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
  • Newbie here
     Reply #3 - March 27, 2013, 05:32 AM

Hello!  grin12

Those who start realising their culture conflicts with Islam tend to cut out their culture and try to be extra "Muslimy" (extremist jerks  Tongue).

Welcome!

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

• Newbie here
     Reply #4 - March 27, 2013, 06:10 AM

Welcome, enjoy your stay, I am sure you will like it - I frequent r/exmoose quite often, I don't post much, but I lurk there a lot Smiley
  • Newbie here
     Reply #5 - March 27, 2013, 06:36 AM

welcome  parrot i don't use reddit at all, but i heard it's famous. what are it's unique selling points? is it primarily a community news-like website?

The right to think the unthinkable, discuss the unmentionable, and challenge the unchallengeable.
  • Newbie here
     Reply #6 - March 27, 2013, 04:39 PM

Welcome.

Lurk occasionally through exmuslim reddit. I think it was an article from there that sent me to this forum. The only issue I had with it was the format for comments was awkward, where a perfectly fine post could be lost in a sea of downvotes.
  • Newbie here
     Reply #7 - March 27, 2013, 11:59 PM

Welcome. Smiley
  • Newbie here
     Reply #8 - April 02, 2013, 01:27 AM

welcome  parrot i don't use reddit at all, but i heard it's famous. what are it's unique selling points? is it primarily a community news-like website?

In a sense, yes. Check out our subreddit! We're trying to connect with other ex-Muslim groups for solidarity. It's easier to have a discussion there, I think, if you compare it to the forum medium.
  • Newbie here
     Reply #9 - April 02, 2013, 01:30 AM

Hello, I am also from Toronto. There are a shit ton of afghans where I live. Maybe you are from the same area, who knows.

Anyways, welcome Smiley

I actually grew up on the other side of the golden horseshoe. I only came to Toronto and the GTA a few years ago for school. Haven't had much contact with other Afghans, TBH.

We're trying to have regular meet-ups in Toronto. Let me know if you're interested!
  • Newbie here
     Reply #10 - April 03, 2013, 03:42 AM

Another Canadian !! Welcome !  Afro

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »