Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 11:56 PM

What's happened to the fo...
May 27, 2024, 07:26 PM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
May 26, 2024, 04:18 PM

New Britain
May 26, 2024, 10:14 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 18, 2024, 03:04 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Greetings!

(Read 2052 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Greetings!
     OP - May 26, 2013, 11:02 AM

Hi everyone
    I just joined the forum in hopes of meeting like minded people.
    My name is Lucia (changed it), I'm 21 and live in Melbourne, Australia. I have 7 sisters and 1 brother with no father. I left home when I was 19, in December 2011. After heavy deliberation and research, I was convinced that the Islamic faith was not for me. Mostly because I consider myself a free spirit and did not agree with the hate mongering, war mongering and misogynistic ideals in the Quran and Hadith. Leaving the religion wasn't hard as I was never conservative anyway and spent most of my life mimicking the Muslim rituals. I did connect with it during brief phases during my teenage years but it never spoke to me. I always somehow knew that I would leave, at one point or another. I am of mixed ethnicity and grew up in my father's Somali community in NZ, which was very strict and conservative. All the typical rules of a Muslim household and then some.
    Truth is, I left partly because I just couldn't handle the intense micro managing and rules anymore. It was so rigid and I vastly outgrew the ideals my mother tried to instill in me. I didn't want to spend my youth being pious, I wanted to see friends and listen to music and wear whatever clothes I wanted, just like any other young girl. But more importantly, I had no spiritual or intellectual freedom and was encouraged to follow blindly with no room for critical thought. Any criticism of the religion was prohibited and I didn't dare voice my opinions. I woke up one morning, gathered my important documents and some clothes and just left. And didn't look back since. I have never doubted my reasonings and beliefs but felt more upset about leaving my family. I felt lonely for the longest time and am only just learning to accept that there won't ever be a family dynamic. I was never close to my family anyway but being away from them certainly does create a void, despite my happiness with my independence and the light feeling knowing there isn't an angry alpha male god watching my every move, silently judging me. I want to reach out to my sisters but I am still plucking up the courage, after a year of not speaking. They are harsh and we never got along but I am sure they are wondering about me. I am just concerned for my privacy and safety, first and foremost.

Sorry for the long post, this is the only place I can finally vent! The few friends I do have don't understand what I've been through and take their supportive family for granted. They just don't 'get it'.
    I would love for anyone to tell me their experiences with dealing with severed relationships and how you have come to terms with it, if you have that is. And for anyone that is struggling or wants to talk then please feel free to talk to me. I would love to listen as I know the isolation.

Much love xx
  • Greetings!
     Reply #1 - May 26, 2013, 12:09 PM

Welcome to the forum, Lucia. Hope you enjoy it here. Our stories and experiences are all over the forum, so you should just look in threads Smiley

I hope you can resume some form of relationship with your sisters, with time  far away hug

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »