Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Private schools may drop A-levels due to Michael Gove's plans for overhaul

(Read 1742 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Private schools may drop A-levels due to Michael Gove's plans for overhaul
     OP - August 14, 2013, 01:31 AM

Concerns over Education Secretary Michael Gove's plans to implement radical changes to school exams are prompting some leading private schools to consider dropping A-level courses in favour of an international alternative.
    Under a major overhaul of the system, Gove has announced that AS-levels are to be separated from A-levels to become a separate qualification, resulting in teenagers who take A-levels no longer sitting exams after one year but being tested at the end of their two-year course. AS-levels – taken after one year of study – would no longer count towards a student's final A-level grade.
    But in the latest indication of opposition to the plans, some fee-paying schools are now reportedly looking at introducing international A-levels for pupils, which would still allow them to take AS-levels halfway through the course.
    Andrew Grant, head of fee-paying St Albans School in Hertfordshire and a former chair of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC), said he is looking "very, very seriously" at international A-levels.
    He told tes.co.uk: "I know I am speaking for many of my colleagues in HMC when I say we will look for a way of continuing the AS-level system. We at St Albans School are looking very, very seriously at international A-levels because we feel there is a tremendous value in the feedback provided by AS-levels at the halfway point."
    Grant told the Press Association that the introduction of AS-levels more than a decade ago "encouraged bright students to broaden their studies". After one year they would get feedback through their AS-level results on how they had done and could then choose whether to continue with all of their subjects, or focus on just some.
    International AS and A-levels in 60 subjects are offered by Cambridge International Examinations. As with the A-level system, students can take international AS courses as qualifications in their own right, or as part of a full international A-level.
    Bernard Trafford, head of the private Royal Grammar School in Newcastle, said independent schools have the freedom to choose the qualifications they want to offer.
    "Whenever we are unhappy with a syllabus or exam we can quickly start to look around to see what else is out there. Why wouldn't we look at international A-levels?"
    This is what private schools did when there were concerns over GCSEs, he said, and now many private schools use international GCSEs instead.
    He said he does not think that many are near to moving toward international A-levels at the moment.
    The Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) has already sounded a note of warning about the changes, saying the union was not convinced that AS-levels should be a separate qualification.
    A Department for Education spokesperson said: "By putting universities in charge of A-levels we are ensuring they match the world's best and prepare children for work and higher education.
    "Linear A-levels will end the constant treadmill of exams and ensure pupils develop a real understanding of a subject."
    Outlining his proposals in a letter to the exams regulator, Ofqual, Gove said that the AS-level is regarded as a valuable qualification.
    "I have concluded that it should be retained, but that its design should be reconsidered in order to establish it as a high-quality standalone qualification," he added.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/aug/14/schools-drop-a-levels-michael-gove-overhaul?CMP=twt_fd

And we're not supposed to adopt the proverbial stereotype, Mr. Gove?
  • Private schools may drop A-levels due to Michael Gove's plans for overhaul
     Reply #1 - August 18, 2013, 05:37 PM

As a history teacher I say kjhbsdafjbnsdljgfnslgnlsdgn Michael Gove and you can ljdshfljsadhnfljndsaflnslkkgnsdkang this policy up your jsdbafkjbsadjfbdsajgfb. Please excuse my Punjabi....

There was a major push for the Ebacc system down south but that seems to have died out. However, I am perplexed by the move by the private schools as A-Level are the Gold Standard and are extremely highly regarded abroad. esp. in South Asia. Additionally, whilst the Confederation of British Industry has expressed concern over the relative drop in standards of A-Levels they still regard these as essential qualifications when recruiting potential apprentices in key industrial sectors.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »