Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1340257 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 191 192 193194 195 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5760 - March 05, 2019, 08:55 AM

hi mundi 
    Question is here did the Quranic author(s)   have an idea what the Messiah role of Jesus in Christianity was? That will tell us a lot about the author.

that is not that easy..  and you went from author(s) to.....author     i wonder why?  .. withut doubt . The book is plagiarized .. copy/pasted .. edited .. deleted .. added  by different guys at different times . Clearly much of the book could be written in Arabic language before the birth so called Prophet Muhammad,....   A Arabic Bernard Shaw could have easily put those words together from OT  NT stories that were floating around Arabian peninsula of that time

Ask an average christian today who has been sitting in a church every week what the role of the Messiah is, and probably you will NOT get a correct theological answer.

why only average christian?   .. that goes to Average Jew.. Average muslim.. Average buddihsits.. Average hindus ..etc..etc...

All Average guys who follow  their faiths irrespective of a faith  will not understand the  reasons for the stories told in their receptive faith Messiah/s..  they just sing songs do some rituals/festivals.. take holidays and stop working and enjoy paid holiday...
    Does the Quran show in depth knowledge of the subject or not? Important is indeed what 7th C concept of Messiah was.

..answer to that question clearly  is a biiig   NOOOOO...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5761 - March 05, 2019, 09:38 AM

I didn't mention Luling and my comment has nothing to do with his assumptions.

Luling speaks of  rewriting , you speak of did change the meaning of the Quranic text.
    It is structurally the same operation of changing, one materially, the other intellectually.
    Luling posited that the discrepancies between his Ur-Qurʾān and the extant Qurʾān all stem from the posited textual falsification of the former by the hands of its early Muslim audience

However, you can still know where some of those texts come from ; for example, Jesus molding glaze into living birds comes from the Gospel of the Infancy whose authors is not known for example.

And?

All the tafseers writers, all the people who translate the Quranic texts and add words in brackets in their translation of the texts in arabic that don't have those words. The list is long.

And?
    Tafseers minored Jesus role as per Quranic texts

I do not get what that mean.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5762 - March 05, 2019, 09:50 AM

Well, this verse is a common quote from muslims to state that Muhammad was sent for mankind ; but this verse is about Jesus, not Muhammad.

The Quran is a Christian text then?

This is how you change the meaning of the text without changing the words. Jesus is much bigger in the Quran than people usually think.

A Christian text whose the meaning was changed by "muslims"? What "muslims"?
    You will need to respond to many questions : - who are the first Christian Quran writers, then the "muslims" "meaning changers " , where does they come from, etc.
    If not, it is your own conjecture in a restaurant discussion, it has no scholarship value...

Jesus is much bigger in the Quran than people usually think

Why not. Tell us more...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5763 - March 05, 2019, 10:28 AM

rubbish .. ONLY FOOLS QUOTE SINGLE VERSE and try to assert its meaning ..  that is nonsense..

You never discussed and asked muslims to prove you with the Quran that Muhammad was sent for mankind Smiley

who said that??  how did you get to that conclusion?  why it could not be another prophet of Islam .. say.. "Moses"

Because of verse 91 where Jesus is mentionned

well  that is your opinion., and you have the right to air it and I havethe right to Question your conclusion on that verse

Everyone is entitled to have his own opinion Smiley

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5764 - March 05, 2019, 10:43 AM

You never discussed and asked muslims to prove you with the Quran that Muhammad was sent for mankind Smiley 

dear Marc .. for the past 17 years i have discussed /asked/debated/written  in forums   to/with  muslims ..... Non-Muslim..... Ex-Mulims................ hindus.... buddistsnn .. jews..... christians ...to prove many of their claims  from  their respective scriptures ..    unfortunately  ALL OF THEM LOOSE ..because no scripture .. no prophet .. no plant.. NOTHING IS FROM allah/god whatever.,

And  If you talk about Quran.,   .  Quran says  here & there ., directly or indirectly.........  it says in many surahs that  many things.. many prophets.. ..many . chicken,  many  cows, many women ..many men.......... many etc..etc  all .. everything is sent to believing women and men   

Because of verse 91 where Jesus is mentionned

So what? .. why you picking verse 91?? the fellow who wrote it did not had space to say word "Jesus" in that verse  21:107??

Everyone is entitled to have his own opinion Smiley

off course  ... at least in this forum

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5765 - March 05, 2019, 11:28 AM

The Quran is a Christian text then?

The Quran has Christian texts yes, and also Jewish, Manicheans, etc,etc.

A Christian text whose the meaning was changed by "muslims"? What "muslims"?
    You will need to respond to many questions : - who are the first Christian Quran writers, then the "muslims" "meaning changers " , where does they come from, etc.
    If not, it is your own conjecture in a restaurant discussion, it has no scholarship value...

I already replied Smiley

I do not get what that mean.

Do you know what tafseers are for ?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5766 - March 05, 2019, 11:32 AM

So what? .. why you picking verse 91?? the fellow who wrote it did not had space to say word "Jesus" in that verse  21:107??

The original text must have been crystal clear so that there were no need to write who is mentionned here.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5767 - March 05, 2019, 11:35 AM

the fellow who wrote it did not had space to say word "Jesus" in that verse  21:107??

Marc S is correct. These objections are very simplistic and unsophisticated. Why did the verse not say, Jesus; why did the Quran not say Christians instead of associators? The Quran is not a high school textbook. If this is our methodology and expectation, then there is no need to study the Quran and postulate theories at all.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5768 - March 05, 2019, 11:52 AM

Can you tell us more about that?

Do you know what tafseers are for ?

I'm sure you will give a detailed response to this question, because I do not know what's the point of Tafsirs...

Otherwise, the Arabs described by Anastasius mocking the Cross, etc.,  have read what Tafsir to mock to Cross of Jesus? Since you  (seems one have to be prudent here about what you say...) to say that Tafsirs (what else?) would have been the mean to "change" the meaning of what the Quran says about (for example), Jesus? Jesus who would be according to you "much bigger in the Quran than people usually think" The Arabs described by Anastasius don't seem to think that Jesus was "much bigger in the Quran than people usually think" in  mocking  the Cross of Jesus...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5769 - March 05, 2019, 12:06 PM

The Arabs described by Anastasius don't seem to think that Jesus was "much bigger in the Quran than people usually think" in  mocking  the Cross of Jesus...

I dont see why the Arabs decribed by Anastasius need to think the same as the author(s) of the Quran.

Just had a listen to a G. Dye audio. His work on S19  (about Mary) tells him that the author had a very erudite  notion of different forms of Christianity. The non-interpolated parts were written in a way not offensive to Orthodox, Jacobites, Nestorians... or "muslims". Listening to him, we can discard the option of lack of knowledge to explain certain complexities (or lack of it).
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5770 - March 05, 2019, 12:59 PM

Can you tell us more about that?
    I'm sure you will give a detailed response to this question, because I do not know what's the point of Tafsirs...

Tafseers helped cloak the Quran with the Mecca/Medina/Kaba frame.

Otherwise, the Arabs described by Anastasius mocking the Cross, etc.,  have read what Tafsir to mock to Cross of Jesus?

The ones Anastasius linked with Jews, Jews who liked to mock Christian beliefs and the crucified messiah, and who only believed in the Torah Smiley

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5771 - March 05, 2019, 12:59 PM

I dont see why the Arabs decribed by Anastasius need to think the same as the author(s) of the Quran.

One would already have to prove they knew about the Quran Smiley
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5772 - March 05, 2019, 01:53 PM

Marc,
    right!
    Dye in his talk also mentioned "the darker Quranic passages"that point to a lack of continuity in the accompanying oral transmission of the written consonantal text. Assuming that "the Arabs"where "islamicised" with shorter slogans and topics and were not confronted with the Quran seems not far fetched to me.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5773 - March 05, 2019, 03:10 PM

Tafseers helped cloak the Quran with the Mecca/Medina/Kaba frame.

Mecca/Medina/Kaba frame to which believed ,bona fide, as origin of the Quran, the mufassirun. Therefore there is no "help" here, there's only a paradigm to which believed the mufassirun. And there is no sources which could indicate that before  the mufassirun, people had a "decloak" meaning of the Quran. It is your own conjecture ground on... nothing apart your fertile imagination...

The ones Anastasius linked with Jews, Jews who liked to mock Christian beliefs and the crucified messiah, and who only believed in the Torah Smiley

And en masse, these Arabs Jews, suddenly,  have decided to become "muslims"?
    You're serious?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5774 - March 05, 2019, 03:15 PM

Can you tell us more about that?  (ter)...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5775 - March 05, 2019, 04:07 PM

And there is no sources which could indicate that before  the mufassirun, people had a "decloak" meaning of the Quran. It is your own conjecture ground on... nothing apart your fertile imagination...

The Quranic tafseers tell us about what the Quranic verses are about and when they descended upon Muhammad. But if you read the Quran without them and the words in bracket in non arabic texts, it does tell you something different. So yes they cloak the Quran with a fiction.

You're serious?

I never said that. You put your own version on Islam history on what I am telling you, and it won't work.

There was no "in masse conversion" to Islam apart in Al-Tabari History maybe.

Can you tell us more about that?  (ter)...

I gave a clue that you seemed to have noticed but you didn't pursue it.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5776 - March 05, 2019, 04:08 PM

What clue?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5777 - March 05, 2019, 04:10 PM

It is not what Marc (exactly) says :

So you agree with my assessment but that Marc S statement is not the same as mine?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5778 - March 05, 2019, 04:31 PM

What clue?

I asked your opinion about a Quranic verse and you made an interesting comment.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5779 - March 05, 2019, 07:14 PM

The Quranic tafseers tell us about what the Quranic verses are about and when they descended upon Muhammad. But if you read the Quran without them and the words in bracket in non arabic texts, it does tell you something different.

It does tell me what difference?

So yes they cloak the Quran with a fiction.

Of course. So what? What difference does it make?

I never said that. You put your own version on Islam history on what I am telling you, and it won't work.

Of course you said that. Because these Jews Arabs are the same as those who are present in Palestine in the same time and who are called (by themselves) muhajirun. These guys are never said  (by the multiple attestation one have about them ) to read the Torah in Hebrew or Arabic, and pretending they are Jews. Marc when you affirms this you have no grounds. It has no scholarship value. Because you have postulates that you try to fit to the sources. Anastasius is wrong, there is no synagogue I explained why he call that "synagogue" because he has no other word to qualify a monotheist cult which is not his and which is not pagan and which mock the Cross.

There was no "in masse conversion" to Islam apart in Al-Tabari History maybe.

Marc, the use of the Quranic word "muhajirun" everywhere, from Iraq to Egypt as soon as 640/650 attests that these guys are not Jewish. It is the evidence that you're wrong and should make you revise your theory and asking you questions about it.
    One sees that it is not at all the case. You continue on the same way, it is then no more history, but ideology. Like Gallez, your theory does not fit. Like Gallez, you continue.

Stop this game... For the last time, respond to the question...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5780 - March 05, 2019, 07:17 PM

Anastasius is wrong, there is no synagogue I explained why he call that "synagogue" because he has no other word to qualify a monotheist cult which is not his and which is not pagan and which mock the Cross.

Was this building that you speak of a Mosque?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5781 - March 05, 2019, 07:27 PM

surah 21, verse 91, And [mention] the one who guarded her chastity, so We blew into her [garment] through Our angel [Gabriel], and We made her and her son a sign for the worlds.

This is just one of the tricks how the muslims did change the meaning of the Quranic text and lowered the role of Jesus vs what the Quran actually said on the topic.

Explain that to us, I (again) do not get what you mean...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5782 - March 05, 2019, 07:31 PM

Was this building that you speak of a Mosque?

A masjid yes. Nor a church, nor a synagogue. As Anastasius  see those guys mock the Cross and not being pagan, he designs them as having, as house of prayer,  a synagogue. It is logic for his 7th c. Christian mind.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5783 - March 05, 2019, 07:33 PM

I see. And a Mosque does resemble a Synagogue. So, these Arabs could be described as "Muslims"? And did these Arabs compose the earliest Quran and that it reflects their beliefs?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5784 - March 05, 2019, 07:37 PM

Nope, as "muhajirun". It reflects a monotheist cult that is all one can say, no more, no less.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5785 - March 05, 2019, 07:45 PM

Did this monotheist cult encompass other monotheist groups as well, such as some Jews, as per Donner's hypothesis?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5786 - March 05, 2019, 07:48 PM

For me, nope. Donner is totally lost, suffice to look at his face when he speaks. He cannot make sense of it, so he build conjectures, like Shoemaker et al.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5787 - March 05, 2019, 09:26 PM

Explain that to us, I (again) do not get what you mean...

Very simple, verse 91 ( a sign for the world) gives the link with verse 107 ( a mercy to the world) and make us understand both of them speak of Jesus. However, muslims added the name of Muhammad in verse 107 in non arabic text in bracket and claim this verse is the proof of Muhammad's mission to mankind as stated by the Quran.

This is wrong as we see from comparing verse 91 vs 107 but it is also wrong from the Quran itslef that give itself a more restricted mission geographically speaking.

Stop this game... For the last time, respond to the question...

I just did. This is but one example of the muslims writers telling us how to read the Quran and minimizing the role of Jesus to promote that of Muhammad.

Another one is the Quran telling us Muhammad made no miracle but talks about the miracles performed by Jesus, etc,etc......Fortunately, the ahadith come to the rescue of Muhammad and turn him into a magician thus contradicting the Quran, which according to sunni muslims is a proof a hadith is a fake  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5788 - March 05, 2019, 10:23 PM

Of course you said that. Because these Jews Arabs are the same as those who are present in Palestine in the same time and who are called (by themselves) muhajirun. These guys are never said  (by the multiple attestation one have about them ) to read the Torah in Hebrew or Arabic, and pretending they are Jews.  Anastasius is wrong, there is no synagogue I explained why he call that "synagogue" because he has no other word to qualify a monotheist cult which is not his and which is not pagan and which mock the Cross.

So let me summarize what I said and you will understand where you got the whole thing wrong both in your assumptions re Islam and both in describing what I said :

- Anastasius speak of Arabs in the Sinai as the new Jews and talk about synagogs of the Arabs,
    - therefore, he doesn't state that they are Jews but rather that they have a link with Judaism,
    - we know also from the dialog between John the Patriarch and the Amir that some of those believed in the Torah and nothing else (yes no Quran),
    - we can also read the following from one 6th century scholar :

An implausible theory—but a telling one all the same. Sozomen came from near Gaza, between the Mediterranean and the Negev, and was an experienced observer of the region. He had travelled to
    Mamre, for instance, and witnessed the crowds that gathered there: he knew full well that it was not
    only Christians who reverenced Abraham, but Jews and pagans too. This led him, in contrast to
    Theodoret, to contemplate a quite hideous possibility. What if the Saracens’ knowledge of their
    ancestry did not necessarily lead them to Christ? What if it led them in a different direction altogether?
    After all, their origin being what it is, they practise circumcision like the Jews, refrain from the use of pork like the Jews, and observe many other Jewish rites and customs. That they deviate at all from the Laws of the Jewish people can only be ascribed to the lapse of time, and to the influence upon them of other, pagan peoples.95
    It was a devastating insight—and had an obvious corollary. Cleanse the Arabs of their paganism,
    and it might not be a Christian people at all that emerged from beneath the ordure, but something
    alarmingly different: whole tribes of Jews. In fact, according to Sozomen, this had already happened:
    “There are those of them who, by coming into contact with Jews, learn the truth of their origins, and
    so return to the ways of their kinsmen, and are persuaded to adopt Jewish customs and laws.”Who
    precisely these Jews might be, Sozomen did not think to say; but it certainly suggested that Christianity, beyond the reaches of Roman control, was not the only option available to Arabs embarked on a spiritual quest.
       Tom Holland 'Shadow of the Swords' p150

- a non muslim source is telling us that the Arabs who cleared the Capitol were Egyptians, something one can understand as people coming from the Sinai region, which doesn't fit with your theory that eastern Arabs invaded Jerusalem,

- Talking about Jerusalem, the one credited to capturing it is Amr ibn Al-As whom I don't think was an eastern Arab but evidence points to the fact he originated from the Palestine/Sinai region

Marc when you affirms this you have no grounds. It has no scholarship value. Because you have postulates that you try to fit to the sources.

Sorry but when you claim the invaders of Jerusalem did have Quranic texts with them just because they built a house of prayer and you say it is because of Quran 2:127, you are doing just what you are describing above. Why ? Very easy : not only is there no link with this story and Jerusalem in the Quran but there is no claim of Arabs to Jerusalem in history prior to that because they just didn't care (only Gallez built a WRONG theory about that) ; on top of that, the Quran itself says that Allah gave Israel to Jews until Judgment Day like in Surah 5, verse 21 (yep another cloacking of the Quran by later muslim scholars on top of distorting the story told in the first verses of Surah 17 and build a claim to Jerusalem and an explanation for the Dome of the Rock).

Marc, the use of the Quranic word "muhajirun" everywhere, from Iraq to Egypt as soon as 640/650 attests that these guys are not Jewish.

I never said they were Jewish. These are your words, not mine ; I said they followed some kind of Abrahamism for the ones who were not pagans or Christians of course.

And if they call themselves muhajirun, who are the believers then ? Sounds like a group that encompass the muhajirun.

https://www.academia.edu/31246167/_The_Year_according_to_the_Reckoning_of_the_Believers_Papyrus_Louvre_inv._J._David-Weill_20_and_the_Origins_of_the_hijr%C4%AB_Era_Der_Islam_94_2018_pp._291-311_
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5789 - March 06, 2019, 02:33 AM

Marc,

Thanks for your resumé of sources. Quite helpful to understand your reasoning.
  • Previous page 1 ... 191 192 193194 195 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »