Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 02:19 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
Today at 08:47 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: If you could've chosen which religion you were born into what would that be ?

(Read 7829 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • If you could've chosen which religion you were born into what would that be ?
     OP - November 07, 2014, 12:09 PM

If you could've chosen which religion you were born into what would that be, atheism included and religions that have more or less died out. And why ?

Reply #1 - November 07, 2014, 12:32 PM

I guess atheism considering I am an atheist now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #2 - November 07, 2014, 01:48 PM

Greek Orthodoxy. My mom was Greek Orthodox in her childhood but totally gave up everything Greek when she married my Irish/French/mutt dad. I wish I had been raised a lot more Greek.

إطلب العلم ولو في الصين

Es sitzt keine Krone so fest und so hoch,
    Der mutige Springer erreicht sie doch.

I don't give a fuck about your war, or your President.
     Reply #3 - November 07, 2014, 01:51 PM

Rastafarianism mon!

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #4 - November 07, 2014, 02:17 PM

Being raised Greek and living by the Orthodox tradition/faith are two different matters. The Orthodox church is as bad and twisted as the Catholic church. When it comes to women's and LGBT rights, they are as far behind. No thanks. I was "born" into the Orthodox faith but it was more or less absent throughout my childhood, thankfully. We kept fairly close to our "native" culture without having that shit around, even though it had more to do with my mother's laziness and uninterest than with her taking a stand against the church per se. We had traditional icons at home and the priest came to bless our house, but only big sister is baptized. That's as far as it went.

I would've liked to have my family take a more clear humanist approach, where we were taught the importance of secularism and rights and liberties. Could've lived without the conservatism/traditionalism, homophobia and honour cultur-ish values.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #5 - November 07, 2014, 04:48 PM

Having a moderate Methodist upbringing was not so bad. I had a community that cared about me from church. It also helped me flex my critical thinking skills to work my way out of the faith so I really think I am better for my experience. My parents never forced the faith down my throat. I just wish they understood me and why I don't believe a little more

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
     Reply #6 - November 07, 2014, 05:20 PM

I'd just say atheist and then I could have easily avoided a whole bunch of troubles in life and wound up here anyway, like Hashbrown said. Or, if I later found out something else really spoke to me, I could switch later in life. Better to start with the clean slate.

Although, I also grew up in a Methodist church and we got a ton of coffee and pastries and that was pretty cool as a kid.
     Reply #7 - November 07, 2014, 05:55 PM

I would choose a secular/atheist household.

But if I had to choose to be born into a religion I'd say the Anglican Church in it's current form. It's a religion but from what I've heard from Dawkins, Anglicans seem to be relaxed and liberal enough that it wouldn't cause me anywhere near the amount of trouble islam causes me. 

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - November 07, 2014, 08:12 PM

Jedi, but only if I'd been born a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.  Tongue

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #9 - November 07, 2014, 08:14 PM

Budism
     Reply #10 - November 08, 2014, 02:25 AM

Secular household.

Not in the "OMG, Atheist and preach it!" type but the "Ehh who cares about religion?" type.

Like a secular Muslim house or a secular Lutheran household.
     Reply #11 - November 08, 2014, 02:46 PM

I would choose to be born into the good old Aztec religion. All that ripping out the hearts of living people, and tossing their bodies down the steps of the pyramids, and sprinkling their blood over your dinner. Good times. Afro

Plus you really do need religion for moral and ethical guidance, so you might as well pick a really good one. bunny

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - November 10, 2014, 11:27 PM

i wish i was born as a Mayans. Life back there is simple and full of mysteries. just think of all the excitement and adventure you will face everyday you wake up.
     Reply #13 - November 16, 2014, 05:50 PM

I guess just simply atheist but like everyone else mentions, a secular household. Definitely not any religion like Islam, christianity, judaism or even hinduism for that matter.

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #14 - November 16, 2014, 05:59 PM

Hey, been a while! Hope you're doing well.  yes
     Reply #15 - November 17, 2014, 11:15 AM

The cult of Melkor.

But realistically, I wish my parents were academics/scientists - don't care what religion.
     Reply #16 - November 17, 2014, 12:26 PM

Some goddess worshipping cult where everybody gets naked at the full moon.  Either that or the Catholics, for the schools.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #17 - November 17, 2014, 12:31 PM

I dont know much about other religions outside the Abrahamic circle, but If I were to choose a religion:
    I would choose the religion of worshipping nature and protecting the environment.
    Of love and respect towards each other. Although Im not sure about animals, because I love meat and Im sorry for them Yummy
     Reply #18 - November 17, 2014, 12:46 PM

Thats pantheism then INcePtion
     Reply #19 - November 17, 2014, 12:50 PM

Secular household. Yeah...

turnipovich
     Reply #20 - November 17, 2014, 12:56 PM

Thats pantheism then INcePtion

So Im a pantheist and an atheist as well?
    Wow

Agreed Mia!

Reply #21 - November 17, 2014, 01:26 PM

So Im a pantheist and an atheist as well?
    Wow

Agreed Mia!

Technically yeah. You might be interested in this.

http://www.pantheism.net/manifest.htm
     Reply #22 - November 17, 2014, 01:50 PM

Thanks Lily. That's interesting. I didn't know that I was a sort of pantheist.
     Reply #23 - November 17, 2014, 01:58 PM

No problem  dance

I am too, I get so excited when I go to the Natural History Museum in London, and teary too!
     Reply #24 - November 17, 2014, 02:29 PM

^Our heaven is this universe  Wink
     Reply #25 - November 17, 2014, 06:23 PM

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster maybe?

In all seriousness, I think the Anglican church, at least in England, is pretty docile and easy going. Think of toothy vicars on bicycles judging jam-making contests.

My dad is Greek-Cypriot so I was christened in the Greek Orthodox church and at the time I screamed my head off (a sign of things to come perhaps ;-) ?) and my mum is a nominal Anglican, but is just apathetic I guess.

My household was healthily secular though, I was sent off to Sunday school at the local Greek church (prob just to get rid of me for a few hours) but was never forced or encouraged to take it seriously. Was never forced to pray or read the bible, so I was just kind of left to make my own decisions. I remember me and mum laughing about the bible once, and we used to hide in the back room whenever the God Squad came knocking. They were just apathetic with regards to religion I suppose really.

I also remember when I was a kid, having read some absurd part of the bible, and came down with a confused look on my face and asked my dad about it, as if to say "Is all this really true?" and I will never forget what my dad said to, he stooped low to my eye level, and said to me very seriously........ "This book was written by men, and don't forget that".................that was it, probably my first baby step to atheism, and from then on I was free to take the primrose path with no pressure or coercion to hold me back, to think about this for myself. From that point onwards, over the years, the doubts just began to mount up.

I also remember being invited to 'go to Wembley football stadium' with a schoolfriend when I was about 13. I was so excited and got dressed up in my football kit and brought my football along expecting to have a kick-about on the hallowed turf, but my heart dropped when I found out it was an evangelist preacher who was giving a sermon. I was SO pissed off that my friend had never told me in advance that it was a religious thing. I must have looked a right prick with my Hitachi Liverpool kit, footy boots and a ball. Cheesy.

I still considered myself nominally Christian up until 8 years ago, but I don't really know why. I was always sceptical of religion. I think I was an atheist all along, just I hadn't given it enough consideration.

Thank you dad, for that single wise phrase. Its probably a major part of the reason I am here today, and along with Richard Dawkins' God Delusion, that just pushed me off the fence many years later.

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #26 - November 17, 2014, 07:06 PM

Sorry, that was a bit of a long drawn out personal testimony that ^^

bedtime2

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #27 - November 17, 2014, 07:07 PM

Its fine! Love hearing interesting stories and sharing info.
     Reply #28 - November 19, 2014, 12:25 PM

Liberal Islam (like we already have, here, in Indonesia) Afro
    or Liberal Roman Catholic  Roll Eyes
    or Moderate Atheist (not the anti theist type)  grin12  dance
     Reply #29 - November 19, 2014, 01:01 PM

Jedi, but only if I'd been born a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.  Tongue

Your membership is currently under review.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »