Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 20, 2024, 04:09 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America

(Read 135780 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 ... 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Donald Trump wants to ban Muslims from America
     Reply #300 - November 16, 2016, 03:09 PM

An NPR interview with Wesley Lowery, a mixed-race journalist who covered reactions and protests of police shootings across the country and who authored the book They Can't Kill Us All, discusssing Trump win.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/11/14/501975663/post-election-conversations-about-race-sparked-a-new-sense-of-urgency

On the idea that not all Trump supporters are racist though they supported him even with his racially tinged rhetoric

I don't accept the premise. To begin with, what we know is that human beings harbor prejudice. I think one of the fundamental battle lines in this conversation is: Do you believe that racism requires intent or do you believe that racism is about the outcome, the effect, that if a policy has the effect of racism, of creating a racial disparity, is that accurately described as racist – or does it require someone actively desiring to oppress a certain group of people? I think that is a part of this battle line we've seen. We see a lot of white Americans and certainly Trump supporters who would argue, "No, I don't have hate in my heart for people who aren't like me." And you see the left — and largely the Black Lives Matter protest movement and many of the forces that have been driving this conversation for eight years under Obama — who would argue that no, racism and prejudice are what occurs when, whether intentional or not, a structure or system is put in place that leaves one group of people behind.

On questioning whether voting matters, given that having a black president hasn't police shootings of unarmed black men

"I voted twice for Barack Obama and Trayvon Martin is still dead. I canvassed for Barack Obama, the Charleston Nine are still dead, Dylan Roof still shot up that church." These are the types of things we heard from ... activists and demonstrators [while researching the book].

There are certainly activists who didn't vote in 2016, because I think that there's a grapple: How do you effect change and what does political power look like? One of the things that I think is remarkable is this idea that a black presidency showed us the limitations of a black presidency. Of course a black presidency couldn't usher us in a post-racial world, we now deeply understand, but we couldn't comprehend the limitation upfront.

Reply #301 - November 16, 2016, 03:12 PM

that link says

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has never registered to vote and made no secret about his decision to not vote in the presidential election. This is according to records obtained by the Sacramento Bee.

Kaepernick became the focus of a political movement after refusing to stand for the national anthem during NFL pregame festivities.

HE IS AN IDIOT  ....  And I say I add 100 million  lazy American idiots  in to his group.  ,Fools don't understand the value of voting

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #302 - November 16, 2016, 03:59 PM

Here's a much better report on Colin Kaepernick: http://kalw.org/post/historical-context-you-should-know-about-colin-kaepernick#stream/0
    Kaepernick had a football game to play on Sunday. During the postgame press conference, he was asked about not voting.

“You know,” he said, “I think it would be hypocritical for me to vote. You know, I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I’m not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn’t going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression.”

Colin Kaepernick has invoked Malcolm X many times over the last few months — from shirts bearing quotes attributed to the civil rights leader to a black baseball cap featuring a large white X. Malcolm X’s philosophies were complicated. You can hear that in one of the speeches he’s best known for, made in 1964. It’s called “The Ballot or the Bullet.” Malcolm X thought the Republican candidate for president, Barry Goldwater was racist. He called him “a wolf” — an obvious threat. But Malcolm X was also frustrated with the policies of the Democratic party under President Lyndon Johnson. He called Johnson “a fox” — a sneaky enemy. Whether by the fox or the wolf, Malcolm X said, black people would get eaten.

To a crowd gathered in Detroit in April, 1964, he said, “You can see that the Negro vote is the key factor. And despite the fact that you are in a position to be the determining factor, what do you get out of it? The Democrats have been in Washington D.C. only because of the Negro vote. They’ve been down there four years, and they're -- all other legislations they wanted to bring up they brought it up and gotten it out of the way, and now they bring up you. And now, they bring up you. You put them first, and they put you last 'cause you’re a chump.”

Reply #303 - November 16, 2016, 04:26 PM

There have been lots of appeals to Malcolm X since the election. I think article is right to call out that Malcolm X's philosophies were complicated, and at times contradictory. Here is a clip that has been circulated recently from one of his speeches that echo the sentiments above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWB6qjnQvqQ

Let’s also not forget that at a certain point in his ministry, Malcolm was unabashedly pro-violence and very much anti-white. For example, his Message to the Grass Roots contains the affirmation that “You haven't got a revolution that doesn't involve bloodshed.”

We have a common enemy. We have this in common: We have a common oppressor, a common exploiter, and a common discriminator. But once we all realize that we have this common enemy, then we unite on the basis of what we have in common. And what we have foremost in common is that enemy — the white man. He’s an enemy to all of us. I know some of you all think that some of them aren’t enemies. Time will tell.

And,

First, what is a revolution? Sometimes I’m inclined to believe that many of our people are using this word “revolution” loosely, without taking careful consideration [of] what this word actually means, and what its historic characteristics are. When you study the historic nature of revolutions, the motive of a revolution, the objective of a revolution, and the result of a revolution, and the methods used in a revolution, you may change words. You may devise another program. You may change your goal and you may change your mind.
    Look at the American Revolution in 1776. That revolution was for what? For land. Why did they want land? Independence. How was it carried out? Bloodshed. Number one, it was based on land, the basis of independence. And the only way they could get it was bloodshed. The French Revolution — what was it based on? The land-less against the landlord. What was it for? Land. How did they get it? Bloodshed. Was no love lost; was no compromise; was no negotiation. I’m telling you, you don’t know what a revolution is. ’Cause when you find out what it is, you’ll get back in the alley; you’ll get out of the way. The Russian Revolution — what was it based on? Land. The land-less against the landlord. How did they bring it about? Bloodshed. You haven’t got a revolution that doesn’t involve bloodshed. And you’re afraid to bleed. I said, you’re afraid to bleed.

It’s worthy of noting, however, that he never enacted any of those words and never led any sort of armed resistance. Instead, we have him reserving the right to self-defense (while invoking the Second Amendment) and stating that “the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights are the principles in which we believe and that these documents if put into practice represent the essence of mankind's hopes and good intentions.”

He also took the issue of voting seriously,

"The Organization of Afro-American Unity will organize the Afro American community block by block to make the community aware of its power and its potential; we will start immediately a voter registration drive to make every unregistered voter in the Afro-American community an independent voter..."

and

"There are 270,000 eligible voters in the twenty first senatorial district. The twenty first senatorial district is broken down into the eleventh, seventh, and thirteenth assembly districts. Each assembly district contains 90,000 eligible voters. In the eleventh assembly district, only 29,000 out of 90,000 eligible voters exercise their voting rights. In the seventh assembly district, only 36,000 out of the 90,000 eligible voters vote. Now, in a white assembly district with 90,000 eligible voters, 65,000 exercise their voting rights, showing you that in the white assembly districts more whites vote than blacks vote in the black assembly districts. There's a reason for this. It is because our people aren't politically aware of what we can get by becoming politically active..."

But also,

"We won't organize any black man to be a Democrat or a Republican because both of them have sold us out. Both of them have sold us out; both parties have sold us out. Both parties are racist, and the Democratic Party is more racist than the Republican Party."

So, his views were not as simple as many try to paint them.
     Reply #304 - November 16, 2016, 05:11 PM

On the subject of armed resistance here's an article I came across on the Green Corn Rebellion - Oklahoma in 1917 when at least part of rural America showed some progressive thinking.

http://monthlyreview.org/2010/11/01/dreams-of-revolution-oklahoma-1917/

Reply #305 - November 16, 2016, 05:18 PM

There have been lots of appeals to Malcolm X since the election. I think article is right to call out that Malcolm X's philosophies were complicated, and at times contradictory.
    Here is a clip that has been circulated recently from one of his speeches that echo the sentiments above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWB6qjnQvqQ

Let’s also not forget that at a certain point in his ministry, Malcolm was unabashedly pro-violence and very much anti-white. For example, his Message to the Grass Roots contains the affirmation that “You haven't got a revolution that doesn't involve bloodshed.”
    And,

It’s worthy of noting, however, that he never enacted any of those words and never led any sort of armed resistance. Instead, we have him reserving the right to self-defense (while invoking the Second Amendment) and stating that “the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights are the principles in which we believe and that these documents if put into practice represent the essence of mankind's hopes and good intentions.”

Nope   No...no......nooooo  Imagine year 1945 .. put the legs  in his shoes .. 20 year old..young  smart ,  intelligent ..energetic   but cannot go any where .. frustrated times ...Malcolm X ( May 19, 1925 – February 21, 1965)....

So for that time  and to up lift that society he was forced to become anti-white ., But he would  have done much better if he didn't join that   ISLAM  of   Robert Poole

Reply #306 - November 16, 2016, 05:19 PM

Zizek on Trump
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKoYHgPS8gNCeQNJiXwB3It-hqxvrOjbaljSUkfAtGkUnzGm4HUnENTJN65oQKDTRqeDYfW9&v=3JZmwQAZmak
     Reply #307 - November 16, 2016, 05:32 PM

Nope   No...no......nooooo  Imagine year 1945 .. put the legs  in his shoes .. 20 year old..young  smart ,  intelligent ..energetic   but cannot go any where .. frustrated times ...Malcolm X ( May 19, 1925 – February 21, 1965)....

So for that time  and to up lift that society he was forced to become anti-white ., But he would  have done much better if he didn't join that   ISLAM  of   Robert Poole

You’re right to an extent, yeez. I think the consistency in his philosophy comes in the form of his commitment to Black rights through “any means necessary.” I think he struggled to identify exactly what the most appropriate and effective means were, so he experimented with many competing means.

I also wouldn't underestimate the role that the NOI had in making him become more race-conscious.

In all, my point is that he is a very complex character (and a long-time personal inspiration of mine, as it were). I've seen many groups, from racist Black Nationalists, to Salafis, to pacifists, use his words as some sort of legitimizing platform.  I think it’s important to remember that his views were, to put it simply, complex. 

Reply #308 - November 16, 2016, 06:38 PM

Fuck that.

Using Blacks, Latinos, Jews, Muslims, women, etc. as pawns in a "gamble" prove that you view them as inferior and can never "be worth it. " What could being worth it even look like at that point?

It must be what it's like meeting the devil at the crossroads at midnight. "Sure, I'll make you great. You can be just like me. All you have to do is sacrifice everything you value and hold dear - not from you, but from other people."

I agree .

The general idea behind the bernie or bust movement was that Trump was simply saying that stuff to get elected and when he was in office he'll simply be a figurehead while the establishment republicans runt he government.

Since the bernie or bust people (many of whom are also minorities) don't see any significant difference between the Dem and GOP establishment they figured might as well grind through four years of a bad president than 8 years. 

Bernie or busters never thought Trump would actually go and appoint a literal neo nazi to the administration.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #309 - November 16, 2016, 06:57 PM

I can't quite tell if this is clickbait, as the Independent has caught me out before, but:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-muslim-registry-immigrants-policy-kris-bobach-reinstate-wall-a7420296.html
     Reply #310 - November 16, 2016, 07:16 PM

Quote from: TDR
      Bernie or busters never thought Trump would actually go and appoint a literal neo nazi to the administration.

Then they haven’t studied history. Read between the lines and see what these people did back when America was “great;” he was telling you exactly what he would do.
     Reply #311 - November 18, 2016, 01:45 PM

Just thought I should add this for perspective,not saying I agree with everything he says

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #312 - November 18, 2016, 01:55 PM

Edit

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #313 - November 18, 2016, 02:30 PM

Jon Stewart on AMRIKA  president elect Mr. Donald Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coIKUVJuRY8

Reply #314 - November 18, 2016, 04:36 PM

Just thought I should add this for perspective,not saying I agree with everything he says

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf/

I think this was a well-written rebuttal presenting a different perspective. I think this issue fundamentally boils down to a point made in the interview I posted above: is racism primarily a feeling of “I hate other races’” or is racism actually what comes about as a result of policies that adversely impact specific groups? I use the term “adverse impact” deliberately because it, along with phrases like “disparate treatment,” has become a pseudonym for the type of “racism” I think the author might be overlooking.

I personally do not think a majority of Americans would identify themselves as racists, nor do I think a majority of voters who supported Trump have an active hatred in their hearts for non-whites. What I do think, however, is that the level of apathy that exists towards the plight of minorities in this country demonstrated itself in the results of this election.

It’s worth noting, before I come back to the subject of Trump, that I also think that there is a similar level of apathy in the camp of many Clinton supporters towards the plight of “brown people” the world over. Consciously or Subconsciously, the lives of non-white people are simply not valued in the same way that the lives of white people are valued, and this reflects itself in the electorates general apathy towards the results of specific policies that our government enacts the world over. To quote a brilliant tweet from kiran on twitter yesterday, “the cold war was only cold in countries where white people decided which brown people they would bomb next.”

Back to the issue of Trump, and specifically the policies he boasted about enacting, then yes, they are policies that will directly impact minorities. Stop and frisk, for an example, has long been identified as policy that enabled racist impacts, specifically affecting African Americans. To quote Malcolm X again, “Where this police brutality also comes in the new law that they just passed, the no knock law, the stop and-frisk law, that's an anti Negro law… the only thing this law is designed to do is make legal what they've been doing all the time.”

And the statistics back this. For Trump to specifically mention Stop-and-Frisk, then, for many was seen as a wink and nod to racism. Again, not a racist feeling, but impacts that would impact a certain race – and impacts that non-affected races might not even consider or care about.

The same is true for the rhetoric he’s used regarding Muslims, Latinos, and yes, Jews. He doesn’t have to call it out specifically. The language he is using truly is “code word” for some rather racist policies. Minority groups are, in my mind, right to be a bit jittery regarding something that walks, quacks, and looks like a duck, while hoping it’s really a squirrel.
     Reply #315 - November 18, 2016, 05:09 PM

I am trying to put a dot on that graph during the time Malcolm-X  was 20 year old..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1E6c-LLUKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3j8OYKgn4

Michael Flynn,  the Ex-General,

that is today's news..

Reply #316 - November 18, 2016, 06:47 PM

This was written back in April.

The smug style in American liberalism
    Trump capturing the nomination will not dispel the smug style; if anything, it will redouble it. Faced with the prospect of an election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, the smug will reach a fever pitch: six straight months of a sure thing, an opportunity to mock and scoff and ask, How could anybody vote for this guy? until a morning in November when they ask, What the fuck happened?

Reply #317 - November 18, 2016, 07:00 PM

Is it complete ban or extreme vetting.?
    I am not concerned about mullahs not getting the visas.
    But what about the moderate & liberal muslim.
    And what about atheists just like us living in muslim world with muslim names, desperate to get into western free world.

Donald trump should think about those people.
    Banning muslim/extreme vetting is a good idea but it should not be used against all people in Islamic world.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #318 - November 18, 2016, 09:24 PM

From what Trump said it is a ban of Muslims from Muslim nations that harbour, are the source of, support and/or are followers of terrorism as a tactic. The grounds for this is that there is no vetting system established to root out those that are normal people and those that are radical.  Trump has made an exception for Christians from Muslim nations but not atheists.

I do not think moderates nor liberal matter to Trump as the ban is based on a stereotype and fear mongering. 
     Reply #319 - November 18, 2016, 09:28 PM

Then they haven’t studied history. Read between the lines and see what these people did back when America was “great;” he was telling you exactly what he would do.

You should know full well by now that when people invoke this nostalgia based view of history that people filter what they see as negatives in history based on their own biases. Far to many are oblivious to their own filters. They may only see the economic successes but are blind to the civil issues of the same era.
     Reply #320 - November 18, 2016, 11:04 PM

Is it complete ban or extreme vetting.?
    I am not concerned about mullahs not getting the visas.
    But what about the moderate & liberal muslim.
    And what about atheists just like us living in muslim world with muslim names, desperate to get into western free world.

Donald trump should think about those people.
    Banning muslim/extreme vetting is a good idea but it should not be used against all people in Islamic world.

So it's all good to discriminate and incite hatred, as long as it's not you?
     Reply #321 - November 18, 2016, 11:47 PM

To quote a brilliant tweet from kiran on twitter yesterday, “the cold war was only cold in countries where white people decided which brown people they would bomb next.”

Damn. I'm remembering again why I like Kiran so much.  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #322 - November 19, 2016, 02:11 AM

So it's all good to discriminate and incite hatred, as long as it's not you?

Not really cute girl. No one should discriminate.
    But nobody wants to see any more ISIS attacks here in USA. Giving visas to brainwashed mullahs is a real threat to US. They will bring radical Islam to usa which already exists here.
    As said by donald trump,
    Americans defeated naziism in world War 2.
    Americans defeated communism in cold war.
    And now we Americans will defeat radical islam.

It's a war with radical islam.

Islam itself and radical Islam specifically targets women,gays,Christians and other minorities.
    Being a woman I hope you will support president elect donald.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #323 - November 19, 2016, 02:16 AM

Damn. I'm remembering again why I like Kiran so much.  Afro

Being a brown I must admit that I feel we are not inferior to white people but we are just lazy.
    They invent everything, we just copy.

Reply #324 - November 19, 2016, 02:21 AM

Brown and white belong to same human race.
    Caucasian.
    Caucasian races (Aryans, Hamites, Semites)

Reply #325 - November 19, 2016, 03:04 AM

Not really cute girl. No one should discriminate.
    But nobody wants to see any more ISIS attacks here in USA. Giving visas to brainwashed mullahs is a real threat to US. They will bring radical Islam to usa which already exists here.
    As said by donald trump,
    Americans defeated naziism in world War 2.
    Americans defeated communism in cold war.
    And now we Americans will defeat radical islam.

It's a war with radical islam.

Islam itself and radical Islam specifically targets women,gays,Christians and other minorities.
    Being a woman I hope you will support president elect donald.

Being a woman I am disgusted at the thought of supporting a man who brags about groping women without their consent. I didn't leave a misogynistic religion just to rally behind another misogynist.

I wasn't talking about mullahs. You said that banning and extreme vetting of Muslims was good except in a cases where it effects people like you. Well, I hate to break it to you but if you are "Muslim looking" enough with a "Muslim sounding" name then it's highly unlikely that they will make the distinction. And if you supported these measures then it's no more than you deserve.
     Reply #326 - November 19, 2016, 03:19 AM

I think we ought to be more afraid of white male serial killers than religious terrorists. There seem to be so many of these serial killers, so many that when cold cases are investigated they often interview more than one serial killer about it. So scary. 

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #327 - November 19, 2016, 04:29 AM

I think this was a well-written rebuttal presenting a different perspective. I think this issue fundamentally boils down to a point made in the interview I posted above: is racism primarily a feeling of “I hate other races’” or is racism actually what comes about as a result of policies that adversely impact specific groups? I use the term “adverse impact” deliberately because it, along with phrases like “disparate treatment,” has become a pseudonym for the type of “racism” I think the author might be overlooking.

I personally do not think a majority of Americans would identify themselves as racists, nor do I think a majority of voters who supported Trump have an active hatred in their hearts for non-whites. What I do think, however, is that the level of apathy that exists towards the plight of minorities in this country demonstrated itself in the results of this election.

It’s worth noting, before I come back to the subject of Trump, that I also think that there is a similar level of apathy in the camp of many Clinton supporters towards the plight of “brown people” the world over. Consciously or Subconsciously, the lives of non-white people are simply not valued in the same way that the lives of white people are valued, and this reflects itself in the electorates general apathy towards the results of specific policies that our government enacts the world over. To quote a brilliant tweet from kiran on twitter yesterday, “the cold war was only cold in countries where white people decided which brown people they would bomb next.”

Back to the issue of Trump, and specifically the policies he boasted about enacting, then yes, they are policies that will directly impact minorities. Stop and frisk, for an example, has long been identified as policy that enabled racist impacts, specifically affecting African Americans. To quote Malcolm X again, “Where this police brutality also comes in the new law that they just passed, the no knock law, the stop and-frisk law, that's an anti Negro law… the only thing this law is designed to do is make legal what they've been doing all the time.”

And the statistics back this. For Trump to specifically mention Stop-and-Frisk, then, for many was seen as a wink and nod to racism. Again, not a racist feeling, but impacts that would impact a certain race – and impacts that non-affected races might not even consider or care about.

The same is true for the rhetoric he’s used regarding Muslims, Latinos, and yes, Jews. He doesn’t have to call it out specifically. The language he is using truly is “code word” for some rather racist policies. Minority groups are, in my mind, right to be a bit jittery regarding something that walks, quacks, and looks like a duck, while hoping it’s really a squirrel.

Couldn't agree more

Reply #328 - November 19, 2016, 04:33 AM

Being a brown I must admit that I feel we are not inferior to white people but we are just lazy.
    They invent everything, we just copy.

Such a pity that you hate your skin colour and your heritage that you believe this bullshit. poor thing

Reply #329 - November 19, 2016, 01:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZGR_eTbAI

Donald Trump to meet fierce critic Mitt Romney

That heading is today's news . ...http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38037591  watch what  Mr.   Mitt Romney   who  was  Presidential candidate  of US of A against Obama

and other news  at NY Times.comsays

Donald Trump Agrees to Pay $25 Million in Trump University Settlement

Donald J. Trump has reversed course and agreed on Friday to pay $25 million to settle a series of lawsuits stemming from his defunct for-profit education venture, Trump University, finally putting to rest fraud allegations by former students, which have dogged him for years and hampered his presidential campaign.

The settlement was announced by the New York attorney general just 10 days before one of the cases, a federal class-action lawsuit in San Diego, was set to be heard by a jury

well  that is his UNIVERSITY which he sold to American Public during his elections.,     It is time  for Mr. Trump to learn  "How to  be an elected Official"

• Previous page 1 ... 9 10 1112 13 ... 30 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »