Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Attitudes towards Islam

(Read 21157 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Attitudes towards Islam
     OP - October 31, 2008, 08:20 PM

Now that you have left Islam, do you find yourself acting with more hostility against Islam and Muslims? Do you feel pity for your former co-religionists? Angry? Plain indifferent?

...nor shall they encompass aught of His knowledge, except as He willeth...
  • Re: Attitudes towards Islam
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2008, 09:27 PM

My attitude towards Islam now is mostly regret for the time I wasted and my stupidity at converting in the first place. I don't like some of the social aspects perpetuated by Muslims (for example I feel horrible for my former students back in Kuwait, especially the girls -- they are so intelligent, bright and full of life, and I'm sure that will be stripped from many of them by the time they are adults) but I don't have a problem with people practicing Islam peacefully.

As for the Muslims I know, none of them know yet that I am an apostate. Still waiting for the right time to break the news, and most likely they will disown me, but if any of them still want to be friends I'd be pleasantly surprised. Some of my Muslim friends are suffering or struggling with aspects of their lives that may or may not result from Islam, but despite the problems they may have, as far as I know each of them is satisfied as a Muslim, so I think that's great for them.

So I'm not exactly indifferent, I just accept that they are happy in their religion.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #2 - November 01, 2008, 01:55 AM

Empathy.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #3 - November 01, 2008, 05:11 AM

Sympathy.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #4 - November 01, 2008, 05:23 AM

As for the Muslims I know, none of them know yet that I am an apostate. Still waiting for the right time to break the news, and most likely they will disown me,

That is very harsh, am I right in thinking that UK (pakistani) muslims are more radical than say french North African muslims? I had quite a few Maghrebin friends in France, including atheist/leftists who weren't disowned either by their friends or their family.

That being said, I wonder if these friends would be able to clearly explain why they're so angry that someone has doubts or no longer believes as they do. Perhaps you can tell them that the angrier they get (at you) the more you want to run away from Islam?

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
     Reply #5 - November 01, 2008, 12:57 PM

My attitude towards Islam is that it is a vile religion and I'll probably never give up trying to make a difference against it.

Towards muslims it's a mix, some muslims embody all the aspects I most hate about Islam and for them my dislike is intense.  For the muslims who remind me of the good I have pity and sadness as the two doninate feelings I get.  I just think "how much more could you be if you stripped away your belief and became truly free".  This is because they are nice ladies, kind ladies, smart ladies, but they are prisoners to their husbands will. 

Graduates forced to stay home and make babies, not allowed to work, not allowed to roam, not allowed to be all that they could be, so of course I feel pity because I could still be one of them.

For the muslims who practise a wish washy version of Islam that helps salve their conscience, I sort of have a mixture of contempt for their weak backbone, and again pity for their fears and entrapment.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - November 01, 2008, 01:09 PM

Sounds like a lot of bitterness there Berbs. I find it hard to feel bitter about the stupidity of it, it would be like feeling bitter about the village idiot. As for all the female graduates stuck at home with the kids, that happens anyway, Muslim or not and I'm not sure what you mean by 'free to roam'  - But anyway, it's all a load of bollocks, and you don't do it anymore, nothing to feel bitter about unless you want it to.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #7 - November 01, 2008, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'free to roam'

Do you recall that a woman needs a mahram to travel outside of her home?

Reply #8 - November 01, 2008, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'free to roam'

Do you recall that a woman needs a mahram to travel outside of her home?

Ah, right, ta.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #9 - November 01, 2008, 01:13 PM

Sounds like a lot of bitterness there Berbs. I find it hard to feel bitter about the stupidity of it, it would be like feeling bitter about the village idiot. As for all the female graduates stuck at home with the kids, that happens anyway, Muslim or not and I'm not sure what you mean by 'free to roam'  - But anyway, it's all a load of bollocks, and you don't do it anymore, nothing to feel bitter about unless you want it to.

I need time on my own, I like to get away from people and sometimes I go off on a long bike ride, or a walk down to the river.  Free to roam to do my own thing, it's nice and you don't realise how important freedom is until you lose it.

I guess I am bitter, I hope in time that fades and I get over it lol but at the moment I am a creature of feelings and I'm pretty pissed off still signmuahaha

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - November 01, 2008, 01:32 PM

I need time on my own, I like to get away from people and sometimes I go off on a long bike ride, or a walk down to the river.  Free to roam to do my own thing, it's nice and you don't realise how important freedom is until you lose it.

I guess I am bitter, I hope in time that fades and I get over it lol but at the moment I am a creature of feelings and I'm pretty pissed off still signmuahaha

I'm pissed off about almost everything, but I try not to be bitter with it. Anger is righteous, bitterness is cancer finmad

Ha Ha.
     Reply #11 - November 01, 2008, 02:40 PM

Sympathy.

Maybe I'll feel sympathy when it's not in my face on a hourly basis. Until then.....red hot anger.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #12 - November 01, 2008, 02:45 PM

Sympathy.

Brilliant new avatar, especially the lower canines.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #13 - November 01, 2008, 02:49 PM

Someone once told me thhat some hatreds are healthy. I'm still not sure about that, but I can see where you're coming from.

Reply #14 - November 01, 2008, 03:16 PM

Nice Strawman there Jack. Imply personal bitterness and then attack the bitterness. The question was about how she feels towards muslims, not about what she feels when she stares at the mirror or when she wakes up in the morning.

And Berbs, your points were good, jack is just wasting your time which should be used to make even better points.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - November 01, 2008, 03:34 PM

Baal, why don't you go stick your nose where it belongs, thanks. Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #16 - November 01, 2008, 03:42 PM

I was away during the time that Baal was put on 'ignore'. Enlighten me, pray do.

Reply #17 - November 01, 2008, 03:45 PM

I was away during the time that Baal was put on 'ignore'. Enlighten me, pray do.

He puts me on ignore, he claims, but is always wanting to 'converse' in that strange way of his. A troubled man  Cry

Ha Ha.
     Reply #18 - November 01, 2008, 04:50 PM

He puts me on ignore, he claims, but is always wanting to 'converse' in that strange way of his. A troubled man  Cry

Yeah, I'll bet you're gutted.

Reply #19 - November 01, 2008, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I'll bet you're gutted.

Still receiving counselling, but I'll get over it. Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #20 - November 01, 2008, 07:56 PM

Lest I develop the reputation of a promiscuous post-starter, I will ask my follow up question here:

Do you still identfiy yourselves with "muslim" political causes? For instance, do you find yourself siding with the Palestinains/Chechens/Kashmiris?

Is there still a soft-spot? 

Reply #21 - November 01, 2008, 08:10 PM

My attitude towards Muslims is mainly indifference tinged with hostility and pity. Hostility when they're in my face and judge me, pity when I see other's totally mentally trapped. It's similar to my attitude to all religions and dogmas.

As for my attitude towards Islam, it's like my attitude towards all religions, which is nothing. Religions don't exist separately from their followers. If I'm going to form an opinion on a religion, I'll base it on the orthodoxy of its followers.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
     Reply #22 - November 01, 2008, 08:17 PM

Lest I develop the reputation of a promiscuous post-starter, I will ask my follow up question here:

Do you still identfiy yourselves with "muslim" political causes? For instance, do you find yourself siding with the Palestinains/Chechens/Kashmiris?

Why? What's the point if yes or no?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #23 - November 01, 2008, 09:01 PM

A little bit. I never looked in too much about Kashmir, so I can't say anything about it. I think Palestine and Chechnya should be able to have their autonomy, but I've always hated their terrorism. The end does not justify the means. But I worry, what kind of government will these countries keep?

Reply #24 - November 01, 2008, 09:09 PM

Ideally, Isreal and Palestine can get together as one truly secular democratic state, rename the whole thing Canaan. And they can all get together, hold hands, and sing kumbaya...

Reply #25 - November 02, 2008, 01:51 AM

Yeah but if they call it Canaan that'd mean they'd all become Canaanites, which means the Jews would just have to exterminate them again.  whistling2

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #26 - November 02, 2008, 03:52 AM

Yeah but if they call it Canaan that'd mean they'd all become Canaanites, which means the Jews would just have to exterminate them again.  whistling2

Very true. Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #27 - November 02, 2008, 05:06 AM

Ideally, Isreal and Palestine can get together as one truly secular democratic state, rename the whole thing Canaan. And they can all get together, hold hands, and sing kumbaya...

No way! Them Kumbayah-ing would TOTALLY justify nuclear annihilation of the whole place!  finmad
     Reply #28 - November 02, 2008, 03:05 PM

Why? What's the point if yes or no?

I was actually trying to draw parallels between ex-muslims and jewish-by-name Jews. My experience has show the latter still hold Israel in very high regard, despite their ireligiousity. I wanted to know if the same applied for ex-muslims.

Reply #29 - November 03, 2008, 12:00 AM

Re: Israel/Palestine: Three things I realized over many years that changed my view on israel: First how small israel is compared to the rest of the islamic world. Second that jews got exterminated in the middle east. Third that everyone israel went to war against was a jackass that was harming his people and the effects of that harm can still be felt today after decades.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »