Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Some questions about evolution

(Read 49108 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Some questions about evolution
     Reply #360 - January 15, 2010, 07:43 PM

sorry i didn't scan all the posts in the thread

are the questions still standing, cuz i have answers for them!

Reply #361 - January 15, 2010, 07:48 PM

sorry i didn't scan all the posts in the thread

are the questions still standing, cuz i have answers for them!

Please answer away, I'm sure I'll learn something from them Smiley
     Reply #362 - January 15, 2010, 08:54 PM

How could it be that the Homo Erectus who had a brain size about half our size had their brain size doubled in us, with billions of extra neurons added?

Homo Erectus has lesser brain than Homo Sapiens this true, but  Homo Erectus didn't evolve into anything, and it is another branch of the hominid family that just got extinct. (look the Wikipedia page for references) 

------------------------------------------------------------

Could a single mutation of the DNA be enough for such a large change to occur?

most changes required to affect a permanent significant trait require a mixture of genes working together, however mutations of genes are cumulative and significant modifications of genes in a preserved gene pool are most likely to be reserved

what about the new features added to an organism, like the ability of the human eye to see colors, the wings added to the birds, etc?

eyes and wings don't pop out to life because of a sudden gene or a group of genes changes.
    if we are to give an explanation for the formation of the wing for example lets think like this:
    squirrels don't have wings
    most squirrels live high on trees
    falling from trees or getting to trapped at some tree by a snake will most likely get the squirrels some trouble
    squirrels are a member of the sciurids family (google it)
    in deference to the rest of the sciurids family squirrels have wide tails because all others nearly are ground active and a great tail well cause them problems digging and running, while for squirrels a big tail mean better air resistance and less tendency to fail(think balancing beam)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/12/13/science/13mammal.l.jpg
    some squirrels today, known as the flying squirrels have skin grown between their legs and hands and around the neck which gives them even greater air resistance, resulting in their ability to climb higher and jump between distanced trees
    after several thousands generations every mutation in the flying squirrels members leading in a greater size of the skin parachute, or in  softer hair, or in less bone weight will be amplified since those members will be capable to "fly' further and climb higher from all others

so in the next thousands generations you can find some descendants of this animal with more aerodynamic features that might be distant to create some sophisticated organic structure adding more to the flight capability

eyes and in the same way could be formed as the following:
    some cells developed sensitivity to light by means of a gene mutation(think a thermal neural cell for example)
    organs having those kind of cells are most likely to overcome dangers and find food easier
    more and more mutations and time might add to the size and sensitivity of the cells resulting in better capabilitis
    p.s. such cell light sensitivity is found in nature in simple organisms even today

while cell receptions is good, but it is not that directional aware, but if a small curvature of such sells can happen by a gene mutation, this curvature will enable the organism to decide from what direction is the light coming from

same as wing formation with more curvature more survival odds are in for the animal and thus more gene prominence

while more curvature will help the animal, a cover is required for it not to get shut by other objects(transparent of course)

more curvature means information, more transfer nerves is a plus, and brain modification for analysis is also a plus

the cover of the curvature while maintaining transparency will need structural support, which will mean more thickness at least at the sides

cover need for blood will mean fluid being in the cover, ill fluid management will mean fluid is present in more quantities, and the cover being harder at the sides will make the fluids group in the middle

fluid in the middle of the cover will make a lense, resulting in better light reception

etc

Where does the knowledge to create these new organs come from?

no where, the comparative advantage makes them to happen

2) My understanding is that a random mutation causes a change in a species to occur, and then natural selection helps spreading this change out and eventually speciation occurs where the ancestor species and the new species can no longer reproduce.

this also include separation by geographical means for example 

How could random mutations have been so successful to consistently produce the various very complex traits found in the species? E.g wings, long neck of the giraffe, stripes of the zebra, claws and the strength of lions & tigers which make them more effective than smaller cats, etc?

stripes on the zebra are of no practical use as i know, but can be a by-product of some gene mutation that had another beneficiary effect.

however for the lions and all the great cats size i obviously a competitive advantage that can make the animal chances at survival better, thus if before several thousands of generations some group of cats developed a gene mutation that affected them to grow slightly larger, those animals are more likely to be successful and thus will get a better chance ti survival...and every time a gene mutation happened that correlated with a bigger size this mutation will be reserved, any other mutation that resulted in smaller size would had been got out of the way simply......and same goes with the nick length

3) How did random mutations helped in the evolution from the earliest bi-polar apes (e.g Lucy) to homo erectus, to human beings, etc? Was it just random mutations that caused homo erectus to lose their body hair, or was there a controlled process behind it which knew that less hair would be more beneficial? Please clarify.

humans are not descendants of homo erectus however think of it like this:
    during day time in Africa the weather is hot, thus predators like the big cats tend to limit their actions and keep in the shade(you will understand if you had a great deal of fare and hair on you)
    humans(humanoids) being slower in motion and less muscular had better chance of survival if they could lose their hair, that is because less hair will mean more sweat area, means more thermal balance, means that they can move further and quicker during day time than their predators,

and thus loss of hair and more sweat glands will make them more able to survive, and thats why you are less hairy than a monekey

-------------------------------------------------------------

hope i didn't get anything wrong, but cut me some slack I'm a computer guy

Reply #363 - January 15, 2010, 09:48 PM

Thanks pure  Afro.
     Reply #364 - January 15, 2010, 09:53 PM

no proplem liberated

hope i got them right, and sorry for the spelling... English is not my first language and that shit is long

Reply #365 - January 15, 2010, 09:56 PM

first error appear

Zebras were the second lineage to diverge from the earliest proto-horses, after the asses, around 4 million years ago. Grevy's zebra is believed to have been the first zebra species to emerge. The ancestors of the Equus horses are believed to have been striped, and zebras must have retained the stripes of their ancestors due to their advantage for social animals in tropical environments. Extensive stripes would be of little use to equids that live in low densities in deserts (like asses and some horses) or ones that live in colder climates with shaggy coats and annual shading (like some horses).[1] Fossils of an ancient equid were discovered in the Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument in Hagerman, Idaho. It was named the Hagerman horse with a scientific name of Equus simplicidens. It is believed to have been similar to the Grevy's zebra.[2] The animals had stocky zebra-like bodies and short, narrow, donkey-like skulls.[3] Grevy's zebra also has a donkey-like skull. The Hagerman horse is also called the American zebra or Hagerman zebra.

Reply #366 - January 17, 2010, 05:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D-oN5Ybb9s

LOL, her in a hijab almost gave me a heart-attack.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #367 - January 17, 2010, 05:52 PM

man i was just watching this  Cheesy

Reply #368 - January 18, 2010, 03:03 AM

lol its pretty good
     Reply #369 - January 24, 2010, 12:15 PM

I didn't take science in high school and only have a year of college under my belt but thanks for YT videos have learned a lot about evolution & science.  (Thunderf00t is awesome).

Anyway, my son who is in Engineering College (in the south US)  told me they were talking about evolution & The big Bang and I asked him what the Prof said about it.  He told me he said given all the facts the most probable explanation is that creation is real, we came from Adam & Eve and evolution is bunk.

After I freaked out for 5 minutes he finally told me he was kidding.  He knows what gets me riled up.

Yusuf Estes gave a lecture on evolution - even I, with my limited science education, was laughing at his arguements.  I have to believe with the amount of Muslims who are very educated, knew his arguments were total ficiton.

You do not need the Bible to justify love, but no better tool has been invented to justify hate. Richard A. Weatherwax

Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family.  Steven Colbert
     Reply #370 - January 24, 2010, 12:25 PM

Anyway, my son who is in Engineering College (in the south US)  told me they were talking about evolution & The big Bang and I asked him what the Prof said about it.  He told me he said given all the facts the most probable explanation is that creation is real, we came from Adam & Eve and evolution is bunk.

After I freaked out for 5 minutes he finally told me he was kidding.  He knows what gets me riled up.

Cheesy Lol - that would have riled me too (in fact it just did until I read the next sentence)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #371 - January 24, 2010, 01:39 PM

Anyway, my son who is in Engineering College (in the south US)  told me they were talking about evolution & The big Bang and I asked him what the Prof said about it.  He told me he said given all the facts the most probable explanation is that creation is real, we came from Adam & Eve and evolution is bunk.

After I freaked out for 5 minutes he finally told me he was kidding.  He knows what gets me riled up.

LOL You're son is fucking awesome. He's trollin like a pro.  cool2

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #372 - November 02, 2010, 11:48 AM

This thread  is quite good, now i can defend myself in debate Smiley

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13« Previous thread | Next thread »