Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 03:53 AM

Eid Al-Adha
by akay
Today at 03:50 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 24, 2024, 02:38 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
June 24, 2024, 07:45 AM

France Muslims were in d...
June 23, 2024, 09:58 PM

Qur'anic studies today
June 20, 2024, 06:24 PM

Marcion and the introduct...
by zeca
June 17, 2024, 03:58 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
June 17, 2024, 01:00 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
June 17, 2024, 11:14 AM

Jesus mythicism
by zeca
June 15, 2024, 10:14 AM

BBC Documentary: Searchin...
by zeca
June 13, 2024, 12:55 PM

New Britain
June 10, 2024, 09:25 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How I became interested in Islam.

(Read 14264 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How I became interested in Islam.
     OP - February 21, 2010, 09:51 AM

And thanks a bunch! TheRationalizer you mind telling us your beliefs? How long did you study Islam? What made you want to become a Muslim? And what are your beliefs now and why?

That's a long story, I will be as brief as possible.
    1: Raised by atheists who mocked religion at every opportunity.
    2: Went to a school where religious assemblies were mandatory.
    3: Listened to the stories as a 7 year old and thought they were bollocks.
    4: At 19 I realised how big the universe was, accepted there must be life elsewhere (not visiting us), philosophised that some could be god-like compared with me.
    5: Over time became a theist.
    6: At some point during a hypnotherapy session I went to heaven and met Jesus Smiley
    7: One day I had a sudden urge to read the language section of my wife's college course booklet, I hated languages!
    8: I opened the book and it fell open at the languages page, with my eyes on Arabic - must be a sign from God.
    9: We experienced a miscarriage, I had a bit of a mental breakdown.
    10: I started to believe God was talking to me whenever I meditated in the shower. Even revealing something to me using Arabic words I had not yet learned which when checked confirmed what he was telling me in English - turns out I just picked up those words subliminally from another part of my exercise book Smiley
    11: A Muslim friend at my kids' school told me that the Quran is the exact words of God and therefore without mistakes, and that it contained information that Muhammad could not possibly have known.
    12: Suddenly I realised, this is EXACTLY how I would expect God to give a clear message to mankind without being as obvious as to appear in person.
    13: I started to look into the Quran and Islamic miracles.
    14: I decided the Quran was the biggest piece of shit I have ever read, especially poor considering he had over 20 years to write it.
    15: I realised that each time I investigated a miracle claim that impressed me it was either falsely translated, a mathematical trick, or the information was stolen from somewhere else.

Ultimately a man with no legs on YouTube pointed me towards Richard Dawkins videos (I had never heard of him before.)  I watched a lot of those and he connected perfectly with the logical part of my brain, which is the part of my brain that I was trying to get to reconcile my belief in God and failing to do so.

Suddenly one day I realised "I am an atheist, I was always an atheist, I just WANTED God to be real".  Suddenly the daily feeling of not being good enough etc were all gone and I felt free.

So I'd say I've been looking at it for about 2 or 3 years, not quite sure. Ironically Islam helped to make me an atheist.  It raised my expectations, rather than "Blessed is he who believes without seeing" it changed my mindset to "If God wants me to live my whole life in a certain way, why is it unreasonable for him to prove I am not just being tricked?"

I WANTED Islam to be true. There were parts I didn't like, but I was willing to put up with those in order to have proof that God existed. My wife even agreed to wear a Hijab, that is how far we took our discussion on the matter - she's glad it didn't happen though Smiley

I found though that not only are the miracle claimers liars but also the people who are anti-Islamic. Taking Quran verses out of context (which of course terrorist brain washers do too) and making things out to be wrong when they are not.  I have an obsession with the truth and with honesty, so I had to look into it all for myself and tell people what I find.  It's like a mental challenge, trying to work out how a magician does his trick Smiley

So much for "short" Smiley

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
  • Re: How I became interested in Islam.
     Reply #1 - February 21, 2010, 09:55 AM

Fantastic post. You are an welcomed addition to this forum.
     Reply #2 - February 21, 2010, 10:06 AM

Suddenly one day I realised "I am an atheist, I was always an atheist, I just WANTED God to be real".  Suddenly the daily feeling of not being good enough etc were all gone and I felt free.

I WANTED Islam to be true. There were parts I didn't like, but I was willing to put up with those in order to have proof that God existed.

I must say, these two lines stuck out like a sore thumb for me and express very well my own sentiments. Well done!

Afro
     Reply #3 - February 21, 2010, 10:14 AM

Whenever people on youtube call me a Muslim hater it annoys me. As you can imagine during my two Arabic courses I met a lot of nice people, and I was the only Kuffar.  I also went to Morocco when I was 17 and EVERY Muslim I met there was really nice.

But when they accuse me of not believing the Quran because I want it to be untrue they have no idea exactly how wrong they are  Smiley

Reply #4 - February 21, 2010, 10:35 AM

Good post.

I do think God is what people create in their own minds because they need some sort of self reassurance and security. I never believed in God really so I can't say, but as someone who is always thinking, I assume it's probably just coming from a deep-seated need to believe (to take a piece out of the famous quote).

This is why I think it takes a bold person to come out of the personal comfort-shell that religion has, and to explore a bit more.
     Reply #5 - February 21, 2010, 10:48 AM

@ TheRationalizer
    Great post. I can totally relate to a lot of the stuff you have written there.
     Reply #6 - February 22, 2010, 05:21 PM

I found though that not only are the miracle claimers liars but also the people who are anti-Islamic. Taking Quran verses out of context (which of course terrorist brain washers do too) and making things out to be wrong when they are not.  I have an obsession with the truth and with honesty, so I had to look into it all for myself and tell people what I find.  It's like a mental challenge, trying to work out how a magician does his trick Smiley

Nice analogy.  I think most of us do that here to some extent.  Once we show the audience how the trick is performed, they no longer wonder at the magic, but wonder how they were fooled in the first place.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - February 22, 2010, 05:48 PM

Speaking of magicians. I am not gay. Honestly. But I have a man-crush on Derren Brown. I would wear a catholic school-girl dress for him. Sam Harris as well.
     Reply #8 - February 22, 2010, 05:52 PM

Speaking of magicians. I am not gay.

Fine
    Honestly. But I have a man-crush on Derren Brown. I would wear a catholic school-girl dress for him. Sam Harris as well.

Which makes you gay  Tongue

BTW AMAZING story TR. The first time in my life I heard about an Atheist becoming a Muslim (in reality not the Mosque Imam's fantasy).

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #9 - February 22, 2010, 05:53 PM

Sam Harris would do the same. And he is not gay.
     Reply #10 - February 22, 2010, 05:55 PM

This video should set things straight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ahR9hUQMk&feature=related
     Reply #11 - February 22, 2010, 06:17 PM

Sam Harris would do the same. And he is not gay.

Thinking hard that would make an interesting thread - who do us guys have a man-crush on i.e. admire and respect

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - February 22, 2010, 06:27 PM

What I love about the Four Horsemen video is the different personalities and how they shine through their books. Hitchens smoking and gulping scotch like water, Dan Dennet thinking before talking, Sam Harris' humbleness and Dawkins sharp intellect. Also how Dawkins is the one that smiles most at Hitchens' witticisms. That video is a delight. I love how they are against making the world some steel, clinically clean world. They have a lot of spirit, I like that. Art and culture is highly valued. These things I can respect.
     Reply #13 - February 22, 2010, 06:38 PM

Nice insight - I came to the same conclusions, and thought it was great to see them interacting together in an uber-intellectual fashion.  Couldnt imagine 4 mullahs disagreeing with each other in such a respectful manner, could you?

For me Sam Harris came off the best - he was humble and waited for each speaker to finish what they were saying before adding his thoughts.. often, sadly to be cut off by arrogant Hitchins..

You seen the second part yet?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - February 22, 2010, 06:58 PM

The first time in my life I heard about an Atheist becoming a Muslim (in reality not the Mosque Imam's fantasy).

I didn't actually become one Smiley

Reply #15 - February 22, 2010, 07:01 PM

Nice insight - I came to the same conclusions, and thought it was great to see them interacting together in an uber-intellectual fashion.  Couldnt imagine 4 mullahs disagreeing with each other in such a respectful manner, could you?

For me Sam Harris came off the best - he was humble and waited for each speaker to finish what they were saying before adding his thoughts.. often, sadly to be cut off by arrogant Hitchins..

I found this interview by Dawkins really interesting. It was nice to see him talk to a Catholic with such a high level of intellect that he couldn't destroy him.  However I do believe the Catholic priest is a closet atheist who just goes through the motions in order to keep his scientific research grant from the church Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0ZMfkSNxc

Reply #16 - February 22, 2010, 07:03 PM

Nice insight - I came to the same conclusions, and thought it was great to see them interacting together in an uber-intellectual fashion.  Couldnt imagine 4 mullahs disagreeing with each other in such a respectful manner, could you?

Yes. They stopped right when it got interesting. What do we do with Jerusalem? Are we doomed? Will theocracy win? The only way I see this world not imploding is more secular politicians, like presidents and prime ministers. That's not gonna happen anytime too soon. Or international pressure. And yes sadly Hitches interrupted too often. I don't find him arrogant though, but he loves debating and I think he might be in love with himself although not far from pointing out his own failings. Dawkins spoke too little, but I think he is mostly interested in listening plus I think he knows his strong suits. My issue is that none of them are great with theology. They are incredibly smart and great within their fields, the closest is Hitchens but that's culture, politics, and history. We need a fifth Beatle. We need a George Martin.
     Reply #17 - February 22, 2010, 07:04 PM

I found this interview by Dawkins really interesting. It was nice to see him talk to a Catholic with such a high level of intellect that he couldn't destroy him.  However I do believe the Catholic priest is a closet atheist who just goes through the motions in order to keep his scientific research grant from the church Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0ZMfkSNxc

How can you manage though? Being an atheist in such an environment? And as a priest? :S
     Reply #18 - February 22, 2010, 07:05 PM

Btw guys I can't wait for Dan Barker's book to come out, on priests that have lost their faith but still remain as priests.
     Reply #19 - February 22, 2010, 07:08 PM

How can you manage though? Being an atheist in such an environment? And as a priest? :S

You keep it quiet  Smiley

Reply #20 - February 22, 2010, 07:09 PM

You keep it quiet  Smiley

lol no i know but what i mean is how can you deal with it mentally? wouldn't you go crazy after a while?
     Reply #21 - February 22, 2010, 07:48 PM

I couldn't do it myself.  I have a mental compulsion to tell the truth that everyone is thinking yet nobody else will say.

PS: I only have a "Quote" option on all of the posts except the last one, is it just me or everyone else too?

Reply #22 - February 22, 2010, 08:06 PM

You click on reply and scroll down and then you can quote freely.
     Reply #23 - February 22, 2010, 08:08 PM

You click on reply and scroll down and then you can quote freely.

Ah yes, thanks!  You may now resume your previous conversation Smiley

Reply #24 - February 22, 2010, 08:11 PM

I couldn't do it myself.  I have a mental compulsion to tell the truth that everyone is thinking yet nobody else will say.

You suffer from turrets?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - February 22, 2010, 08:13 PM

You suffer from Tourettes?

Reply #26 - February 22, 2010, 08:40 PM

You suffer from turrets?

A very little, yes, but 99.9% of the time it doesn't affect me at all (usually when I am on my own I let it out).  But the "tell the truth" part is more of an obsessive compulsion than an involuntary outburst.  My son has it much worse than me and he's not that bad - some of the random stuff he comes out with is most amusing though Smiley

For me it is mostly mental, I can control it almost 100% of the time so saying I have tourettes seems very dishonest.  I would say I am "inclined" Smiley

Reply #27 - February 24, 2010, 02:18 PM

Wow! Quite a story Rationalizer - welcome!
     Reply #28 - February 24, 2010, 03:20 PM

Agreed.

Rationalizer, your experiences are very similar to mine except I actually took the step of becoming Muslim.  I am, once again an agnostic.  Smiley

Btw, Greetings and welcome!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #29 - February 24, 2010, 04:43 PM

That's a long story, I will be as brief as possible.
    1: Raised by atheists who mocked religion at every opportunity.
    2: Went to a school where religious assemblies were mandatory.
    3: Listened to the stories as a 7 year old and thought they were bollocks.
    4: At 19 I realised how big the universe was, accepted there must be life elsewhere (not visiting us), philosophised that some could be god-like compared with me.
    5: Over time became a theist.
    6: At some point during a hypnotherapy session I went to heaven and met Jesus Smiley
    7: One day I had a sudden urge to read the language section of my wife's college course booklet, I hated languages!
    8: I opened the book and it fell open at the languages page, with my eyes on Arabic - must be a sign from God.
    9: We experienced a miscarriage, I had a bit of a mental breakdown.
    10: I started to believe God was talking to me whenever I meditated in the shower. Even revealing something to me using Arabic words I had not yet learned which when checked confirmed what he was telling me in English - turns out I just picked up those words subliminally from another part of my exercise book Smiley
    11: A Muslim friend at my kids' school told me that the Quran is the exact words of God and therefore without mistakes, and that it contained information that Muhammad could not possibly have known.
    12: Suddenly I realised, this is EXACTLY how I would expect God to give a clear message to mankind without being as obvious as to appear in person.
    13: I started to look into the Quran and Islamic miracles.
    14: I decided the Quran was the biggest piece of shit I have ever read, especially poor considering he had over 20 years to write it.
    15: I realised that each time I investigated a miracle claim that impressed me it was either falsely translated, a mathematical trick, or the information was stolen from somewhere else.

Ultimately a man with no legs on YouTube pointed me towards Richard Dawkins videos (I had never heard of him before.)  I watched a lot of those and he connected perfectly with the logical part of my brain, which is the part of my brain that I was trying to get to reconcile my belief in God and failing to do so.

So I'd say I've been looking at it for about 2 or 3 years, not quite sure. Ironically Islam helped to make me an atheist.  It raised my expectations, rather than "Blessed is he who believes without seeing" it changed my mindset to "If God wants me to live my whole life in a certain way, why is it unreasonable for him to prove I am not just being tricked?"

I WANTED Islam to be true. There were parts I didn't like, but I was willing to put up with those in order to have proof that God existed. My wife even agreed to wear a Hijab, that is how far we took our discussion on the matter - she's glad it didn't happen though Smiley

So much for "short" Smiley

You know whose a complete idiot?

xtr00

You know who isn't?

YOU!  Smiley

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »