Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 04, 2024, 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Happy Earth Day Everyone

(Read 5956 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Happy Earth Day Everyone
     OP - April 22, 2010, 02:17 PM

April 22. 2010  Afro
  • Re: Happy Earth Day Everyone
     Reply #1 - April 22, 2010, 02:31 PM

Happy Earth Day Smiley

The 1 thing we all have in common, this pale blue dot we're all hurtling through space on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - April 22, 2010, 02:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwioJhQzeg

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #3 - April 22, 2010, 02:35 PM

Ok I'm embarrassed... what's this earth day about?!  grin12

Reply #4 - April 22, 2010, 02:36 PM

Here's some background info Coco: Link

Reply #5 - April 22, 2010, 02:51 PM

I am going to commit a heresy here and say that I am extremely sceptical regarding this whole environmentalist issue which I think is paradoxically truly conservative in its nature – ideology which has grown around ecology and environmentalism is imo extremely problematic to say the least. 
     Reply #6 - April 22, 2010, 02:55 PM

It's good to be skeptical about things, Kenan. But could you elaborate on your thinking? Do you believe that humans and our heavy reliance on fossil fuels, deforestation, waste disposal, pesticides and pollution have had no damaging effect on the ecosystems on which we rely?

Reply #7 - April 22, 2010, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the link Allat!

I think the outcome is inevitable, but it's good to do what little we can to stall things and hopefully preserve the wonderful array of life for a bit longer.

Reply #8 - April 22, 2010, 03:22 PM

There are some interesting articles and posts on this topic on ScienceBlogs.com. Afro

Reply #9 - April 22, 2010, 03:41 PM

Do you believe that humans and our heavy reliance on fossil fuels, deforestation, waste disposal, pesticides and pollution have had no damaging effect on the ecosystems on which we rely?

Nobody in their right mind would claim that our species has no impact on the environment but that's not really what environmentalism nowadays is all about.

Environmentalism as ideology is a comprehensive vision that shapes our perception of reality by defining the real issues at hand.

Do you think that it’s fair to say that one of the fundamental claims of environmentalism is that we, humans, are throwing the nature out of balance and destroying this planet through our sheer arrogance, wanton lifestyle and narcissism? That we have effectively distanced ourselves from nature and that we are treating it with indifference? And that this can in fact lead to our own demise?
     Reply #10 - April 22, 2010, 03:47 PM

Nobody in their right mind would claim that our species has no impact on the environment but that's not really what environmentalism nowadays is all about.

Environmentalism as ideology is a comprehensive vision that shapes our perception of reality by defining the real issues at hand.

Do you think that it’s fair to say that one of the fundamental claims of environmentalism is that we, humans, are throwing the nature out of balance and destroying this planet through our sheer arrogance, wanton lifestyle and narcissism? That we have effectively distanced ourselves from nature and that we are treating it with indifference? And that this can in fact lead to our own demise?

I don't think it's that simple. There is truth to what you wrote in the last paragraph, which you are able to see in your first line. This doesn't mean we have to be fanatical, but being ignorant and careless about environmental issues, and being fanatical about them, are not the only 2 options, are there? I have read the science behind climate change research and I don't see how it can be denied that we humans are most definitely causing much of the damage we are seeing and will see more of as eco systems around the planet shift and evolve. We are in essence doing a lot more harm than preservation, to the only place in the universe that we know of where we can live. How that is something that can be ignored, especially by those who have children, or grandchildren, or who plan to, is beyond me. Huh?

Reply #11 - April 22, 2010, 04:01 PM

Happy Earth-Day! Smiley
    http://www.petropolis-film.com/#

That's a movie about the Tar Sands in Canada which is ruining the beautiful Boreal Forest of the area and contributing to cancer and contaminated water on the reserves of the aboriginals nearby. There is little speaking and the focus is to let us see the sheer scale of what has happened. Massive amounts of trees have been cut down over the years and huge stacks of extracted sulfur lie around the size of buildings.

Anyway, it's a huge issue as Canada's oil-reserves are going to be the focus of the world. I won't say more, though I do reccomend you to check it out when it does come out. I had a private screening of it in my city and though it seemed a little boring at first, it definitely puts things into perspective.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #12 - April 22, 2010, 04:16 PM

I have read the science behind climate change research and I don't see how it can be denied that we humans are most definitely causing much of the damage we are seeing ...

I too have looked into the science behind the global warming and found it lacking in several points – perhaps I will present those issues at one point, but I would have to look into some stuff I have and compile something. Atm I am unfortunately really busy but I will try and do a brief summary in the next two weeks or so. In another thread perhaps?

But this is not really what I was aiming at. Like you said this is not a black and white issue. And my problem is that environmentalism is actually obscuring and mystifying environmental issues.

Do you have enough time and appetite for a 10 minute video that will present why environmentalist ideology is deeply problematic? It exposes and makes us aware of the disavowed, disturbing side of environmentalist ideology. I do warn you that the video requires full concentration at all times and it is advisable to watch it more than once. Do you have time and patience for it?
     Reply #13 - April 22, 2010, 04:19 PM

I have to run to class in the next half hour, but if you post it here, I will make sure I watch it later tonight. Smiley

Reply #14 - April 22, 2010, 04:32 PM

Great. Perhaps we can discuss it later on during the week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCfiv1xtoU
     Reply #15 - April 22, 2010, 04:41 PM

I am going to commit a heresy here and say that I am extremely sceptical regarding this whole environmentalist issue which I think is paradoxically truly conservative in its nature – ideology which has grown around ecology and environmentalism is imo extremely problematic to say the least.  

Unbeliever! Burn the heretic!

Oh and happy Earth Day!

I want a "Humanity Day" - to honour all the nameless billions of wonderful human beings who struggle against pain, injustice and disaster just to survive against all odds Afro

(Yes I know humans do a lot of awful things too - In fact that's another very good reason to honour the good in humanity.)
     Reply #16 - April 22, 2010, 04:43 PM

Earth day is a great idea but it's not going to change anything.  The reason for our degradation of the life support systems that nurtured our species evolution is to allow for more humans at the expense of everything else.  Until we get it into our heads that we have to reduce our numbers drastically nothing will change.  But that's assuming that something else, even worse than just running out of resources, isn't going to happen  to force the issue.
    Sorry to be all sweet and light but my generation should have taken the Erlichs more seriously in the 60s-70s; but even then it was probably too late anyway.
    We need a one-world government, and PDQ, to do the draconian unthinkables and crash-dive our numbers down to sustainable levels - say about 1-2 billion, give or take.
    ~Rub out all the priests and bankers first, I say.  Any more candidates you want to add to the list?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #17 - April 22, 2010, 04:48 PM

Earth day is a great idea but it's not going to change anything.  The reason for our degradation of the life support systems that nurtured our species evolution is to allow for more humans at the expense of everything else.  Until we get it into our heads that we have to reduce our numbers drastically nothing will change.  But that's assuming that something else, even worse than just running out of resources, isn't going to happen  to force the issue.
    Sorry to be all sweet and light but my generation should have taken the Erlichs more seriously in the 60s-70s; but even then it was probably too late anyway.
    We need a one-world government, and PDQ, to do the draconian unthinkables and crash-dive our numbers down to sustainable levels - say about 1-2 billion, give or take.
    ~Rub out all the priests and bankers first, I say.  Any more candidates you want to add to the list?

We should do the exact opposite. We should "distance" ourselves from nature via technological advancement even more.
     Reply #18 - April 22, 2010, 05:00 PM

Sorry Kenan, but that's just delaying the inevitable, which draws more urgently, inevitably closer by the day.
    We must bite the bullet today, not tomorrow.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #19 - April 22, 2010, 05:04 PM

Would love to stay and discuss this but I got to get up really early tomorrow. Perhaps if you watch the video I posted above and we can discuss it later on?
     Reply #20 - April 22, 2010, 05:06 PM

Unbeliever! Burn the heretic!

Oh and happy Earth Day!

That's the spirit!   Cheesy
     Reply #21 - April 22, 2010, 05:18 PM

i wonder....

how does one celebrate this 'Earth Day'?

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~ Andre Gide

sloshed
     Reply #22 - April 22, 2010, 05:21 PM

By wearing a shirt like this:

Now its my turn.  Why celebrate on this date, as opposed to any other?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #23 - April 22, 2010, 10:11 PM

But everyday is Earth day. Smiley Literally. Since the entire idea of "a day", while we're on this planet, is based on the rotation of the Earth.

Kenan, I'll watch that vid and get back to you in a few days. BTW, I'm not perpetuating the idea of environmentalism as a religion/ideology, or nature as a god-figure. I support and work with initiatives, projects and people who are developing technological ways to deal with what we have inherited, a planet that is becoming harder to live on, for many, many people in the world. Maybe not for you and me yet, but if you watch the video I posted in my first post up top here, you'll see what I mean. Also, social, economic, ecological upheavals in other countries are not something that can be contained in a globalized world, as we've seen with Muslims. So, it's a good idea to work towards helping people in whatever ways we can, locally and even those who are physically far away.

Just wanted to clarify that I understand what you're saying that it shouldn't become a "religion" but I really don't think the world's leading scientists and researchers who are behind the research, are advocating for that. It's just a matter of whether we change our ways and learn to create and live with more sustainable solutions to overcome the energy, waste, pollution and deforestation issues we've inherited, or we keep doing the same exact things that others before us have done. I'll watch that vid a couple of times and write back to you. Smiley

Reply #24 - April 22, 2010, 10:16 PM

Happy Earth-Day! Smiley
    http://www.petropolis-film.com/#

That's a movie about the Tar Sands in Canada which is ruining the beautiful Boreal Forest of the area and contributing to cancer and contaminated water on the reserves of the aboriginals nearby. There is little speaking and the focus is to let us see the sheer scale of what has happened. Massive amounts of trees have been cut down over the years and huge stacks of extracted sulfur lie around the size of buildings.

Anyway, it's a huge issue as Canada's oil-reserves are going to be the focus of the world. I won't say more, though I do reccomend you to check it out when it does come out. I had a private screening of it in my city and though it seemed a little boring at first, it definitely puts things into perspective.

Thanks for the info Ephemeral, I'd been looking for the name of that film. Smiley

Reply #25 - April 23, 2010, 09:02 AM

I randomly want to add this, it's pretty amazing on the scale of things just how small and insignificant we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WEL117xXpw

Our sun compared to the largest star in the video, VV Cephei...

Things like this make me realize how small I am and how trivial my problems probably are.  Tongue

They since found an even larger star than VV Cephei.  wacko
     Reply #26 - April 23, 2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info Ephemeral, I'd been looking for the name of that film. Smiley

No problem. Not everyone likes it but I think it's pretty effective in that it shows the massiveness of the project and consequently--the effects.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »