Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 04:09 PM

New Britain
September 18, 2024, 02:11 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Movies you watched and would recommend

(Read 73718 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 15 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Movies you watched and would recommend
     Reply #360 - May 31, 2015, 12:28 AM

So, I watched Mad Max: Road Fury. An action film that deserves the term. Not sure why it's called feminist propaganda. Perhaps because it wasn't really about Max? They'd have a point there. Showing women as capable human beings? Not sure what's wrong with that. Stating someone isn't a "thing" to be owned because they happen to be pretty girls? That's kinda obvious (in my head they all belong to me).

In a way I could understand if they called Terminator 3 feminist propaganda, though it wasn't, it was just a shitty movie and the girl power theme was terrible. Terminator 2 on the other hand, female led movie that was fucking awesome.

Actually, that's my next recommendation for a movie. Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Awesome flick. If you liked Mad Max, you should like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #361 - May 31, 2015, 01:44 AM

I can see why one could call it such but I do not agree with the reasoning. Going to avoid spoilers.
     Reply #362 - May 31, 2015, 05:17 AM

Kung Fury!   Afro
    The trailer basically nails it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RqpItxd8M
     Reply #363 - May 31, 2015, 09:01 AM

So, I watched Mad Max: Road Fury. An action film that deserves the term. Not sure why it's called feminist propaganda. Perhaps because it wasn't really about Max? They'd have a point there. Showing women as capable human beings? Not sure what's wrong with that. Stating someone isn't a "thing" to be owned because they happen to be pretty girls? That's kinda obvious (in my head they all belong to me).

In a way I could understand if they called Terminator 3 feminist propaganda, though it wasn't, it was just a shitty movie and the girl power theme was terrible. Terminator 2 on the other hand, female led movie that was fucking awesome.

The only film i can think of that has a female only hero is Alien.  Mad Max and Terminator have a male saviour figure, in Terminator her son John is the chosen one.   
     Reply #364 - May 31, 2015, 01:32 PM

In T1 you could make that argument as it's a battle-hardened future male warrior who comes back in time to save Sarah Conner, but T2 is without question a female led film. Also, there are male heroes in Alien. Grin

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #365 - May 31, 2015, 01:39 PM

who ? Everyone always dies in alien lol..

Yep, terminator may have action heroes but the son is the chosen one.   : )

i'm bored so i'm talking nonesense lol..   

Reply #366 - May 31, 2015, 01:51 PM

So Alien has a female only hero because only Ripley makes it?

Reply #367 - May 31, 2015, 02:55 PM

i meant a messianic saviour type hero we often see in films, it's usually a white male..  : )   soz can't think straight, i'm often multi tasking, right now i'm trying to make pizza dough (which nine times out of ten usually turns into a brick) lol
     Reply #368 - May 31, 2015, 11:20 PM

The only film i can think of that has a female only hero is Alien.  Mad Max and Terminator have a male saviour figure, in Terminator her son John is the chosen one.   

Well in Fury Road (note to Quod: it's not "Road Fury", although I can see how you might get confused grin12 ) Max isn't really a saviour as such. This is apparently what had the MRA's freaking out. Max is demoted from "saviour" to basically "one of the crew", most of who just happen to be female. The whole crew end up trying to be saviours of their society.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #369 - June 01, 2015, 01:07 AM

Just got done watching the movie. Wow.
     Reply #370 - June 01, 2015, 02:30 AM

Did you also think this?
    Stating someone isn't a "thing" to be owned because they happen to be pretty girls? That's kinda obvious (in my head they all belong to me).

Reply #371 - June 01, 2015, 10:00 AM

Watched Mad Max. I enjoyed it for many reasons. I found the jab at religion to be amusing and accurate. Going to get see it again with a friend that does not get out often due to the knee-biters.

Needs several reviewings,  me thinks.
     Reply #372 - June 01, 2015, 12:13 PM

Did you also think this?

I generally agree. I honestly failed to see what all the “feminism propaganda” fuss is all about.
     Reply #373 - June 01, 2015, 01:21 PM

I was mostly asking about the bolded part. Grin

Stating someone isn't a "thing" to be owned because they happen to be pretty girls? That's kinda obvious (in my head they all belong to me).

Reply #374 - June 01, 2015, 05:24 PM

re. 'female heroes' - I don't think it's necessary for there to be no men at all for it to count as a female led film.
     I remember when Alien came out and it really was a big deal at the time to have a big budget movie with a woman saving the day. If anything the fact that there are men there but it's the woman who comes through actually makes it better
     Reply #375 - June 05, 2015, 01:03 PM

Saw Mad Max with my daughters just now - what a blast! Next time I hit the outback I want Taiko drums on my 4WD  grin12

Reply #376 - June 07, 2015, 10:42 PM

I was mostly asking about the bolded part. Grin

No reply. I feel like a perv now. Grin

Reply #377 - June 08, 2015, 08:41 AM

Needs several reviewings,  me thinks.

I agree. The pace is so fast at times a lot of the backgrounds and subtle parts are missed completely.
     Reply #378 - June 08, 2015, 08:42 AM

Saw Mad Max with my daughters just now - what a blast! Next time I hit the outback I want Taiko drums on my 4WD  grin12

I want a flamethrower guitar.
     Reply #379 - June 08, 2015, 09:17 AM

I generally agree. I honestly failed to see what all the “feminism propaganda” fuss is all about.

Spoilers! Sorry I do not know the code for a spoiler block with paragraphs. It just goes in a straight line across the screen.

There is an established patriarchy dominated by religion with it's own holy warriors. We only see one women of any standing in Joe's cult which is obvious due to her fighting skills.  The world is irradiated to the point of birth defects effect those born after the war have deformities and/or genetic issues. Nux has visible bumps on his left shoulder and claims to be dying in the start of the movie. I believe this issue with radiation is the reason for the "blood bags" Nux turns Max into. He seems weak when first hooked up to Max but gains strength and energy during the chase. So there seems to be an issue with his blood as well. The whole tattoo scene show there is developed method for health assessment as a practice rather than a singular event since it is done by a group of these holy warriors.  There is Joe's obsession over his child with Angharad prior and after her death. When they cut the baby out his henchman claims it was a boy and it was a perfect human. Rictus Erectus, yes that is his name, yells out that he had a brother and he was perfect. None of the women can be his mother so Joe is his father. If you look at his face you will see scaring and a deformities around his mouth. This changes Joe's harem into one for breeding purposes for a pre-war standard human or a religious "perfection" boy due to the emphasis on "perfect". That are only a few in his harem which I believe leads to the conclusion of barren women due to radiation. The "Old Hags on bikes" are a group of women trying to rebuild but failed. The absence of men is either due to their death or the isolation of the women for protection for obvious patriarch views and abuses as evident by Joe. There is also the emphasis of bringing back life in order to survive while Joe uses it to control the mob and his for his own goals.

This sets the stage for the rescue of the harem by what seems to the only trusted woman in Joe's forces and of high rank. Max at first is just trying to escape and does not care about the women. However the flashbacks with an increasing inability to get away from events change his views. It was not to any moral conviction but due to guilt. While Furiosa has a change of character from one of loyal follower to a morally driven cause and hope for a better future. At the end she is seen as the savior of not just the harem but that of the masses. Max merely fades into the background as any good anti-hero does.

It is there but only people that would complain are clueless regarding the setting of the movies and any imagination for what the world would be like. Heaven forbid that there are women heroes. It is typical nonsense by fools. I actually like the story. It also shows intelligence over brute strength as she had planned the escape and was betrayed by another group of raiders. Strength was only used when required and as the story changed to that of establishing the concept of life near the end.
  • Re: Movies you watched and would recommend
     Reply #380 - June 08, 2015, 10:10 PM

I agree. The pace is so fast at times a lot of the backgrounds and subtle parts are missed completely.

You old farts are too slow. I had no problem following it all. grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #381 - June 10, 2015, 01:44 PM

Reply #382 - June 12, 2015, 08:32 AM

Yes Finally ppl who liked Mad Max Fury Road!  I would have friends complain that it wasnt as good as the first 3 or as well developed.  That they wanted to know more about Imortan Joe or the universe!?......like what more do you need to know?  Does he mix chocolate protein with the mothers milk to his over sized chin mask wearing son?  I mean 4real?   The mad max movies were always short on background but ppl want to act brand new

Tom Hardy signed on as Max for 2 more movies so......

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #383 - June 12, 2015, 08:42 AM

You old farts are too slow. I had no problem following it all. grin12

Yah I focus on what the camera wants me to and miss a lot of the background. For example at the beginning the War Rig scene and dialogue suggests an environment of settlements, Citadel and Gastown, with raiders between. The milk scene drove this home and produced a memory fart.
     Reply #384 - June 12, 2015, 08:45 AM

Yes Finally ppl who liked Mad Max Fury Road!  I would have friends complain that it wasnt as good as the first 3 or as well developed.  That they wanted to know more about Imortan Joe or the universe!?......like what more do you need to know?  Does he mix chocolate protein with the mothers milk to his over sized chin mask wearing son?  I mean 4real?   The mad max movies were always short on background but ppl want to act brand new

Tom Hardy signed on as Max for 2 more movies so......

A movie of Max eating that lizard would still be better than Thunderdome.

Max had a background story, it was the first movie. Everything else was driven by it. The series is not short on background if there is a whole movie about it. The first combined with the rest covers as much of the nuclear and gas wars as required.

Good to hear about 2 more movies.
     Reply #385 - June 12, 2015, 09:42 AM

I was watching a movie with PhysMath the other day called Prisoners, it was amazing!

Full of suspension, thrills and amazing acting! Definitely a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXfcTF6iVk

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #386 - June 12, 2015, 10:03 AM

Been keeping that for a rainy day. 001_wub Hugh Jackman 001_wub Have you and Phys seen the Hugh Jackman flick "The Fountain"? If not, watch it. Haven't seen it since I was a teenager but loved it. Shows the central character living parallel lives in the past, present and future. Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuxryJ6pv8

Reply #387 - June 12, 2015, 11:02 PM

Oh my, The Fountain! One of my all time favorite movies, I have no idea how many times I've watched that movie. Will have to force him to watch it with me some time soon  dance I finally convinced him to give Monty Python a chance  whistling2 bunny

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #388 - June 13, 2015, 03:02 AM

Wink

Reply #389 - July 18, 2015, 08:15 PM

One of  my all time favourites, a true master piece:
    La battaglia di Algeri

You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=22&v=y-7j4WVTgWc

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
  • Previous page 1 ... 11 12 1314 15 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »