Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

What music are you listen...
by zeca
Yesterday at 03:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 03, 2024, 04:08 AM

New Britain
June 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
June 02, 2024, 02:12 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
June 01, 2024, 03:35 PM

General chat & discussion...
May 31, 2024, 08:51 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 26, 2024, 09:19 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 25, 2024, 05:42 AM

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
May 20, 2024, 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Personality traits of converts

(Read 24048 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Personality traits of converts
     Reply #30 - November 03, 2008, 11:53 AM

Another was blown away by the autobiography of Malcolm X.

Malcolm X was the man. I still plan on naming my first son Malcolm after him.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #31 - November 03, 2008, 11:56 AM

Something you wouldn't have been able to do as a muslim.  Rr at least that's my understanding of it.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #32 - November 03, 2008, 12:03 PM

Something you wouldn't have been able to do as a muslim.  Rr at least that's my understanding of it.

I dont think that is the case. The prophet advised that you choose a name with good meaning. Not neccesarily an arabic/"islamic" name. And even so, there is no prohibition (as far as I am aware) of naming your child with a tardtionally christian name.

...nor shall they encompass aught of His knowledge, except as He willeth...
     Reply #33 - November 03, 2008, 12:04 PM

I still plan on naming my first son Malcolm after him.

It'd've just been frowned upon. Although I still plan on naming my first daughter Sakinah, because I like the sound and meaning of it.

Reply #34 - November 03, 2008, 12:32 PM

I dont think that is the case. The prophet advised that you choose a name with good meaning. Not neccesarily an arabic/"islamic" name. And even so, there is no prohibition (as far as I am aware) of naming your child with a tardtionally christian name.

Hmm interesting, why do all converts chnage their names?

Reply #35 - November 03, 2008, 12:38 PM

I find it really babyish when they do that.  I know a 'ken' who is now a 'khalil', but he'll always be a 'twat' to me Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #36 - November 03, 2008, 12:42 PM

I find it really babyish when they do that.  I know a 'ken' who is now a 'khalil', but he'll always be a 'twat' to me Wink

Cheesy 

I know alot of Bilals and khadijas who used to be taquon (sp?) or sharons lol

Reply #37 - November 03, 2008, 02:21 PM

Hmm interesting, why do all converts change their names?

Not all, but it's highly encouraged. I was often asked "Why don't you have a muslim name?" I replied, "My name is fine, my mother gave it to me, I see no need to change it." But they gave me the name Awais anyway, and now I use it sometimes with foreigners who have trouble with my given name, or as a pseudonym/nom de plum.

Reply #38 - November 03, 2008, 02:29 PM

Not all. A freind of mine kept his old anglacised name. I think many choose a new name as a sort of identifier for their new way of life...letting people know who they are and what they stand for. If you're going to be reborn, you might as well have a new name to go with it.

Reply #39 - November 03, 2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks awais and hassan for clearing that up, that's a new thing to me.  Afro

Reply #40 - November 03, 2008, 02:35 PM

If you're going to be reborn, you might as well have a new name to go with it.

Sounds like a kiddies game, like naming dolls. Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #41 - November 03, 2008, 02:37 PM

I want to change my name, I was thinking I could go with Godzilla, it's new, improved and what's more?  it's unislamic  Tongue

Reply #42 - November 03, 2008, 03:45 PM

I never even considered changing my name, I thought that was dumb. I didn't have an "islamic" nickname, either.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #43 - November 03, 2008, 03:54 PM

I'm an ex-Muslim who was a convert, and I did not need to "experience Islam to death" in order to leave. Like most of the converts I know, I was very devout and strict for a portion of my time as a Muslim. But towards the end I started getting sick of all the endless and pointless rules. I made some attempts at trying to find a way to retain my belief (prayer, reading Qur'an, all those things that are supposed to help) but I was much less devoutly practicing, and eventually the fact that those things failed to make my belief stronger only further made up my mind to leave. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

Why did you convert in the first place?

I've answered this before at length, but I can sum it up by saying I was fooled by all the descriptions and examples of how beautiful Islam is. Unfortunately it took me way too long to realize what was actually going on.

Reply #44 - November 04, 2008, 03:53 PM

I sometimes think of the possibility of changing my name to get away from Muslims. If I marry my bf I can take his English surname, and change one letter in my name to convert it to an english name, and looking English myself, hey presto, I'll be an ethnic convert. It's a thought, but I'll never do it. I'm not changing my first name for anything, nor my surname to adopt that of another man. And I'm not forgetting my Iraqi roots. So sod all you Muslims who want to make me a Muslim 'cause of my name!

On the topic of Malcolm X, can someone explain to me why he was so great? I've read his autobiography, and I think I maybe missing something here.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
     Reply #45 - November 04, 2008, 03:56 PM

On the topic of Malcolm X, can someone explain to me why he was so great? I've read his autobiography, and I think I maybe missing something here.

Me too. Couldn't even sign his own surname.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #46 - November 05, 2008, 02:09 PM

His auobiography impressed me greatly - but I was preconditioned to adore malcolm even before I really knew anything about him, so I suppose I read it wearing my rose-tinted specticals.

That said, one cannot help but be impressed by his biography. The story of a man who goes from an orphaned black boy gorwing up in racist America, to one of the great black and Muslim leaders to have emerged in the 20th century is enough, even today, to give me goosebumps. The fact that he became a drug dealing pimp, priosner and black nationlist en route makes his journey even more unique. And it think it's just that - the uniquness - which makes him so special.

He was a brilliant orator to boot.

Reply #47 - November 05, 2008, 03:21 PM

I have a nosey and completely pointless question for you.  Was your admiration for Malcolm X the reason why you called yourself awais.x instead of just awais? 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #48 - November 05, 2008, 03:53 PM

Not all. A freind of mine kept his old anglacised name. I think many choose a new name as a sort of identifier for their new way of life...letting people know who they are and what they stand for. If you're going to be reborn, you might as well have a new name to go with it.

Agreed. It's only like a username. It says something about you, you hope.
    I teach a lot of Chinese people and they usually choose an Anglicised name, usually two syllables, as are Chinese names. So Juan would become Joanne, for instance. Often it's because they just like the sound of the name or it sounds well with their family name or because  they've seen a movie character with it.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #49 - November 06, 2008, 03:51 AM

I have a nosey and completely pointless question for you.  Was your admiration for Malcolm X the reason why you called yourself awais.x instead of just awais? 

No. I tried to have just 'awais' on some other forum (or email, I forget which) but just plain 'awais' was taken, and I didn't want to add some lame number to it, so I thought 'x' was cool. It rings of Malcolm, which is cool, but it also rings of Mega Man X, Professor X, the X-Men, and they're cool too Smiley

Reply #50 - November 06, 2008, 03:55 AM

Yeah, can someone explain to me why Frederick Douglass was so great? I've read his autobiography, and I think I maybe missing something here.

</sarcasm>

Reply #51 - November 06, 2008, 11:27 AM

That would be an interesting story to read. I wonder if he's game to post it.

I doubt that very much. He's got himself into a quandary that requires a lot of personal courage and self-honesty to get out of. Of course, if he is really married to a Muslimah and has children this might even be harder. If he is scared of being laughed at when he (if he ever does) tell us I can understand. After all, who likes being made fun of for converting to such a fraud?

Im sure you're not baiting me here...

btw who said I was married to a Muslim?

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
     Reply #52 - November 06, 2008, 12:04 PM

No bait BCM, we are just curious, maybe we will then understand the claim of islam being the ROP  Smiley

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #53 - November 06, 2008, 12:29 PM

No bait BCM, we are just curious, maybe we will then understand the claim of islam being the ROP  Smiley

Somehow I doubt that

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
     Reply #54 - November 06, 2008, 02:11 PM

I haven't ever heard you speak of what you like about Islam, maybe I missed it under all the snarky comments you make, but I for one would like to know what made Islam the one for you.

Reply #55 - November 06, 2008, 04:44 PM

ROP? who he?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #56 - November 06, 2008, 04:49 PM

ROP? who he?

ROP = Religion of Peace... I think...

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #57 - November 11, 2008, 03:03 PM

I get the impression that some converts who perhaps have stopped believing in Islam seem to need to experience Islam to death in the same way some people need to talk a subject to death before they finally decide to leave.

I'm an ex-Muslim who was a convert, and I did not need to "experience Islam to death" in order to leave. Like most of the converts I know, I was very devout and strict for a portion of my time as a Muslim. But towards the end I started getting sick of all the endless and pointless rules. I made some attempts at trying to find a way to retain my belief (prayer, reading Qur'an, all those things that are supposed to help) but I was much less devoutly practicing, and eventually the fact that those things failed to make my belief stronger only further made up my mind to leave. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

Rational1, do you have "your story" anywhere on this board that I can read? I wouldn't want to ask you to repeat stuff you've already written, regarding your life path and where you are now.  But what I'm reading here mirror some of my own experiences.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #58 - November 11, 2008, 03:07 PM

Well, not all converts change their names, but I know a lot of people who did. Some people just want to have a new name to reflect their new reality but I know many people who were told by the imam or someone else that it was required to change their name.  English names, French names, and so on - they are told that these names are somehow wrong in Islam.  I know so many people who even had a name forcefully assigned to them, and then all the Muslims - even their own spouse -would call them that, even though they still wanted to be known as 'Kevin' or 'Ashley'.  Anyway, I know it is a sore point for some people.  Even the freedom to have your own name and identity is denied to you.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #59 - November 11, 2008, 03:40 PM

Rational1, do you have "your story" anywhere on this board that I can read? I wouldn't want to ask you to repeat stuff you've already written, regarding your life path and where you are now.  But what I'm reading here mirror some of my own experiences.

Yes, there are a few threads that detail the events of my apostasy, but I believe there are some issues with old threads right now... something about a botched backup. Osmanthus could tell you more about that and whether we will get them back Smiley

So how long since you left Islam? Me, it's been almost 9 months now wacko

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »