Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:32 AM

New Britain
September 24, 2024, 10:45 PM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
September 15, 2024, 01:08 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
September 14, 2024, 12:27 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Story of Sulayman

(Read 84142 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Story of Sulayman
     Reply #90 - February 08, 2010, 04:22 PM

You say you believe in the supernatural yet you also seem keen to try and explain things in a logical or rational manner when it suits you? So I'm just a little curious why?

For example you find the fact that birds and ants can talk, think and behave like humans, acceptable. Yet they don't possess the vocal chords or brain size etc...? Which means that this is an example of a supernatural event that defies the laws of nature - something that God just made happen.

Yet you felt the need to try and explain Sulayman's death in a rational and logical way that did not defy the laws of nature?

I didn't... I just was speculating as to why his subjects didn't do anything about him being immobile and mute for days.

(btw you asked where did I get the horse from - that is from tafseer as the Jinn saw him watching them as they were working and so it can be inferred that he would be outside - and as a king, he would not be standing watching them, but would be on a horse as befits a king - all logical - and all related in tafseer. I'm curious where you got chair from?

Like I said.. I didn't read either horse or chair in the Quran... but when I read the verse, I imagined him sitting on a chair.

I thought you liked to stick to the text? Or do you infer things when it suits you and reject others inference when it suits you? Aren't you being illogical?

I already explained Hassan in my previous post... I didn't say he MUST have been sitting on a chair... I simply said that's what came to mind when I read the verse.

Also, sitting on a chair would suggest he was inside and that seems illogical if he was watching the Jinn? Unless perhaps he was watching the "House" Jinn doing stuff like sweeping and odd jobs like fixing the plumbing. If you are not going to include horse then you cannot include chair.

The fact is no king stands watching over his servants to make sure they're doing their job... when I read the verse, the picture I saw was Solomon was sitting on his chair/throne while his servants (demons) were doing their routine daily work... anyway, the whole point of the verse is: demons didn't know the unknown... Solomon was dead (for days) and they kept doing their chores thinking he was still alive.

It seems the only reason you do is that you want to explain it in a logical or rational way. If we are to stick to the text then we can only say for certain that he was leaning - dead - on this stick for days - at the very least - some tafseers say a year! Doesn't that sound very weird? And I mean weird as in defies the laws of gravity etc...)

why would anyone riding a horse need to lean on a staff? I honestly think that leaning on a staff while riding a horse doesn't belong in the picture... Someone sitting on a chair might use a staff and lean on it too. Solomon STANDING and leaning on his staff, for example seems OK to me too.

As for Tafsirs, I didn't read them, but my experience with them and other verses and the wildly variant contradictory and usually amazingly stupid speculations have put me off reading their brilliant work numerous many times. (just one example is how Jesus was not crucified and someone else was... very, very stupid).

So why is it you are not happy to accept that as a supernatural event yet accept others as supernatural?

Ok, I finally see the misunderstanding... I DO believe that Solomon not falling the second he died as a supernatural event... it's just that I didn't envision this involving a horse, but rather a chair (or even him standing, but not a horse).

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #91 - February 08, 2010, 04:30 PM

LOL @ Talking birds. Grin

Hey Debunker & AbuYunus. Here's a hot tip: Why not ditch this Quran nonsense and embrace reality? Seriously, what the fuck was Mo thinking, talking birds? Freal dawg?

Crazy stuff.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #92 - February 08, 2010, 04:31 PM

Btw, is there any historical evidence for the existence of Solomon?

EDIT:
    Looks like not...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon#Historical_figure

So the Quran's "greatest" king doesn't even have real world evidence pointing to his existence.. let alone him being the greatest king. What a shitty book!

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #93 - February 08, 2010, 04:40 PM

LOL @ Talking birds. Grin

Hey Debunker & AbuYunus. Here's a hot tip: Why not ditch this Quran nonsense and embrace reality? Seriously, what the fuck was Mo thinking, talking birds? Freal dawg?

Crazy stuff.

A talking bird? How's that so much different from splitting the sea, and raising the dead? Accepting the supernatural means everything against the natural laws is possible.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #94 - February 08, 2010, 04:43 PM

A talking bird? How's that so much different from splitting the sea, and raising the dead? Accepting the supernatural means everything against the natural laws is possible.

But you can see why saying you actually believe in talking birds is extra embarassing? Its like a grown man saying he still believes in Santa Claus. Fuckin crazy hoopoes.. LOL

Cheesy

Reply #95 - February 08, 2010, 04:45 PM

Btw, is there any historical evidence for the existence of Solomon?

EDIT:
    Looks like not...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon#Historical_figure

So the Quran's "greatest" king doesn't even have real world evidence pointing to his existence.. let alone him being the greatest king. What a shitty book!

Ok, that's a very good question regarding the lack of archelogical evidence... but since it's lacking one can either speculate or contend with the fact the lack of evidence is no evidence... OR we can always hope the government of Israel gets on with their plans, demoilsh the Al-Aqsa mosque and do their long over due excavation of Solomon's temple, etc, etc...

Reply #96 - February 08, 2010, 04:46 PM

But you can see why saying you actually believe in talking birds is extra embarassing? Its like a grown man saying he still believes in Santa Claus. Fuckin crazy hoopoes.. LOL

Cheesy

extra embarassing? More embarassing than Jonah living in the belly of the whale without oxygen and with all the digesting acids?

Reply #97 - February 08, 2010, 04:47 PM

A talking bird? How's that so much different from splitting the sea, and raising the dead?

Can you picture the first a talking hoopeee without smiling at the imaginative impression left in your brain?  Give me a break.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #98 - February 08, 2010, 04:48 PM

Ok, that's a very good question regarding the lack of archelogical evidence... but since it's lacking one can either speculate or contend with the fact the lack of evidence is no evidence... OR we can always hope the government of Israel gets on with their plans, demoilsh the Al-Aqsa mosque and do their long over due excavation of Solomon's temple, etc, etc...

Haha, nice cop out. You seriously believe that? The Quran isn't talking about some 2-bit city state here, its talking about some sort of crazy super-empire. Now considering that archeologists DO have evidence for some fairly minor and short-lived kingdoms.. why on earth do they have none for Solomon's?

Why hold your judgement? It's obvious.. Solomon did not exist.. OR if he did, he was a minor despot of a small city state. Either way, the Quran is bullshit. Smiley

Reply #99 - February 08, 2010, 04:49 PM

extra embarassing? More embarassing than Jonah living in the belly of the whale without oxygen and with all the digesting acids?

Yeah. I mean for fuck's sake a talking bird.. that's hilarious!!

Reply #100 - February 08, 2010, 04:49 PM

This one is funny too - difficult to compare, its like me asking you if you think your shit smells mustier than mine.  Perhaps we should do a vote off?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #101 - February 08, 2010, 04:59 PM

Here's a map from the time Solomon is thought to have existed...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/East-Hem_1000bc.jpg

Notice the kingdom of Israel.. does that look like the world empire described in the Quran??

Reply #102 - February 08, 2010, 05:03 PM

@ Iblis

Haha, nice cop out. You seriously believe that? The Quran isn't talking about some 2-bit city state here, its talking about some sort of crazy super-empire. Now considering that archeologists DO have evidence for some fairly minor and short-lived kingdoms.. why on earth do they have none for Solomon's?

Why hold your judgement? It's obvious.. Solomon did not exist.. OR if he did, he was a minor despot of a small city state. Either way, the Quran is bullshit.

What *super Empire*? His subjects were not limited to men, but also beasts, demons and the elements were made his subjects... this is what no one would ever have after him.

Oh, by the way, I was joking regarding demolishing the Al-Aqsa.

@ Islame

Can you picture the first a talking hoopeee without smiling at the imaginative impression left in your brain?  Give me a break.

A smile? No, it sounded like a magical story to me...

PS. the weird thing is there are far more legitimate questions regarding some of Quranic claims/stories I could never find an answer to... Amazingly, I have never heard these questions asked either here or on FFI.. I try to discuss these with Muslims but they can't even understand what I'm talking about...

Reply #103 - February 08, 2010, 05:06 PM

@Debunker

Well that nonsense about ruling over animals we can dismiss right off the bat. No need to even go into how stupid that is. Maybe just laugh at it and leave it at that. But we can discuss the accuracy of the Quran as a historical document. The story of Solomon is a historical claim about an existing empire. A story plagiarized from the bible. And critical biblical scholarship combined with historical and archeological research clearly shows the story to be mostly false or completely made up.

Reply #104 - February 08, 2010, 05:09 PM

the whole point of the verse is: demons didn't know the unknown... Solomon was dead (for days) and they kept doing their chores thinking he was still alive.

Yes, but the way they were fooled is essential to the story too! That he looked like he was alive and the Jinn were fooled by it. There would be no point in relating this story if the Jinn couldn't see Sulayman. It was the sight of him that makes this an extraordinary story and the fact the Jinn were fooled and couldn't notice he was dead - so Allah could have a good laugh, boast and gloat how they don't know the unseen - but he knows everything. (LOL... Good one, Allah  Afro)

Ok, I finally see the misunderstanding... I DO believe that Solomon not falling the second he died as a supernatural event... it's just that I didn't envision this involving a horse, but rather a chair (or even him standing, but not a horse).

OK, I understand now. So you see the whole thing as supernatural.

So would you agree that you accept this story, not because of it's own merits - or lack thereof - but simply because it is written in the Qur'an.

And I'm sorry to go back to the part where Sulayman goes totally ape-shit because one little bird is not standing in line, and please note the language of the verse I posted before. It says "I will surely/definitely punish him with a severe punishment (I used your choice of words here) or I will definitely slaughter him." and yes it does say definitely by adding the ل at the beginning of the verb 'to torture' and the verb 'to slaughter' and adding نَّ at the end of both verbs - this denotes an oath/swearing and indicates certainty and firm intent). Plus we know this no idle threat since he did indeed torture Jinn who disobeyed him.

To me it is clear that your insistence that this is perfectly reasonable is for one reason - and one reason only.

It is in the Qur'an!

Otherwise you would see it in the same way the rest of us do - as a totally insane way to behave and definitely not the behaviour one would expect of a wise King - let alone one that is a Prophet!

Reply #105 - February 08, 2010, 05:12 PM

A smile? No, it sounded like a magical story to me...

i guess its why they call it faith

the weird thing is there are far more legitimate questions regarding some of Quranic claims/stories I could never find an answer to...

Admittedly I struggle with this one too.  Even here I find that different arguements about Islam have different effects on everyone.  Like Ive said before, the deeper philosophical arguments about God & Islam is what threw faith in the dustbin for me, whereas for others it involved a deeper academic study of the scriptures.

Amazingly, I have never heard these questions asked either here or on FFI.. I try to discuss these with Muslims but they can't even understand what I'm talking about...

Pray tell - I'd be interested to see if this question was even an issue for me and if not, will be more than happy to play devils advocate with it..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #106 - February 08, 2010, 05:23 PM

Iblis, as far as I'm aware it says nothing in the Quran regarding how vast Solomons kingdom was - all we know from the Quran was that it was a community that consisted of men, jinn and birds.

Hassan:
    ''To me it is clear that your insistence that this is perfectly reasonable is for one reason - and one reason only.

It is in the Qur'an!''

Yeah so? We beleive the Quran to be the word of God.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #107 - February 08, 2010, 05:26 PM

@ Iblis

Well that nonsense about ruling over animals and shit we can dismiss right off the bat. No need to even go into how stupid that is. Maybe just laugh at it and leave it at that. But we can discuss the accuracy of the Quran as a historical document. The story of Soloman is a historical claim about an existing empire.

Well, if the Quran has no religious value (it's not from God), then who gives a damn about the Quran as a historical document?! Besides there's BARELY any historical/geogrophical details in the Quran... "O, Children of Israel, enter the Holy Land" what holy land? "And a prophet from them told them such and such"... what prophet? what's his name? The Quran NEVER cared to be a historical document AT ALL..... all events/stories were meant to serve one purpose only: giving us examples of nations, men and prophets and their relationship with God...

A story plagiarized from the bibles. And critical biblical scholarship combined with historical and archeological research clearly shows the story to be mostly false or completely made up.

So now you're saying:

a- Quran is plagiarized from the Bible
    b- so even if details were contradictory to the Bible or severly missing in the Quran, then the Quran should still be held accountable for the details in the source from which it was plagiarized.
    c- and since these elaborate Biblical details don't match up the archeological research then it can be proven that the Bible is false and so is the Quran because it was plagiatized from it.

BUT you already said the supernatural stories are false so this alone proves the falsehood of the Quran... then you said it was plagiarized, so that's another proof the Quran is false, so why should I care if the Bible was historically accurate or not? You have already established the falsehood of the Quran.

Reply #108 - February 08, 2010, 05:29 PM

I notice you raised this before but am not sure why?

Are you suggesting that because other prophets did some supernatural things then Sulayman's supernatural stuff must be true?

Yet you of course know we reject other such supernatural absurdities - just as much as those of Sulayman.

So I'm not sure what point you are making here, Debunker?
     Reply #109 - February 08, 2010, 05:29 PM

@ Iblis

Well, if the Quran has no religious value (it's not from God), then who gives a damn about the Quran as a historical document?! Besides there's BARELY any historical/geogrophical details in the Quran... "O, Children of Israel, enter the Holy Land" what holy land? "And a prophet from them told them such and such"... what prophet? what's his name? The Quran NEVER cared to be a historical document AT ALL..... all events/stories were meant to serve one purpose only: giving us examples of nations, men and prophets and their relationship with God...

So now you're saying:

a- Quran is plagiarized from the Bible
    b- so even if details were contradictory to the Bible or severly missing in the Quran, then the Quran should still be held accountable for the details in the source from which it was plagiarized.
    c- and since these elaborate Biblical details don't match up the archeological research then it can be proven that the Bible is false and so is the Quran because it was plagiatized from it.

BUT you already said the supernatural stories are false so this alone proves the falsehood of the Quran... then you said it was plagiarized, so that's another proof the Quran is false, so why should I care if the Bible was historically accurate or not? You have already established the falsehood of the Quran.

Huh?

You have a fairly bizarre thought process.

I'm speaking in the view of the Quran being considered a divine document by an all knowing creator. Hence it's historicity is important. Of course it's not important to me overall, since I reject the Quran as a divine source.. but to me it's just another addition to the giant list of reasons why the Quran is nonsense. So I don't get what you point is really? Just because I reject a book in general, doesn't mean I can't point out other more specific flaws in it.  Wink

Reply #110 - February 08, 2010, 05:34 PM

Hassan:
    ''To me it is clear that your insistence that this is perfectly reasonable is for one reason - and one reason only.

It is in the Qur'an!''

Yes, Abu Yunus - I of course understand that and I used to do the same. My starting point was that the Qur'an was true and so I saw all this stuff through the perspective of that unshakable belief - just as you do.

But have you seriously considered your starting point could be flawed? Or that perhaps one should accept or reject a story on it's own merits and not because it is in a book you feel bound to defend?
     Reply #111 - February 08, 2010, 05:37 PM

@ Hassan

So would you agree that you accept this story, not because of it's own merits - or lack thereof - but simply because it is written in the Qur'an.

I'm not sure I understand you... but the purpose of this story is to give an example on a slave of God who was very grateful for God's great favor on him.

And I'm sorry to go back to the part where Sulayman goes totally ape-shit because one little bird is not standing in line, and please note the language of the verse I posted before. It says "I will surely/definitely punish him with a severe punishment (I used your choice of words here) or I will definitely slaughter him." and yes it does say definitely by adding the ل at the beginning of the verb 'to torture' and the verb 'to slaughter' and adding نَّ at the end of both verbs - this denotes an oath/swearing and indicates certainty and firm intent). Plus we know this no idle threat since he did indeed torture Jinn who disobeyed him.

First off, please show me the verse where it says Solomon tortured Demons? I remember the Quran says it was God who tortured them when they were defiant.

Now, yes the language is harsh and it does indicate definitniveness... would he have carried out his threats? There's no way to know.

To me it is clear that your insistence that this is perfectly reasonable is for one reason - and one reason only.

It is in the Qur'an!

Otherwise you would see it in the same way the rest of us do - as a totally insane way to behave and definitely not the behaviour one would expect of a wise King - let alone one that is a Prophet!

He was a Warrior King checking on his army which incidently included defiant demons and he spotted a deserter... I honestly believe such language was called for.

Reply #112 - February 08, 2010, 05:38 PM

Indeed! Or birds throwing stones at an army and killing them all and so on...
     Reply #113 - February 08, 2010, 05:41 PM

I notice you raised this before but am not sure why?

Are you suggesting that because other prophets did some supernatural things then Sulayman's supernatural stuff must be true?

Yet you of course know we reject other such supernatural absurdities - just as much as those of Sulayman.

So I'm not sure what point you are making here, Debunker?

You all seemed particularly surprised by the supernatural story of Solomon, so my question was why? It's just another supernatural story.

Reply #114 - February 08, 2010, 05:45 PM

Huh?

You have a fairly bizarre thought process.

I'm speaking in the view of the Quran being considered a divine document by an all knowing creator. Hence it's historicity is important. Of course it's not important to me overall, since I reject the Quran as a divine source.. but to me it's just another addition to the giant list of reasons why the Quran is nonsense. So I don't get what you point is really? Just because I reject a book in general, doesn't mean I can't point out other more specific flaws in it.  Wink

I misunderstood you... I thought you were saying: "the Bible specifically says Solomon's kingdom was a vast empire, and since the Quran was plagiarized from the Bible and since the Bible was proven wrong on this issue then so is the Quran"...

Reply #115 - February 08, 2010, 05:47 PM

Pray tell - I'd be interested to see if this question was even an issue for me and if not, will be more than happy to play devils advocate with it..

Well? Or would you prefer to keep it a secret in case Allah finds out  Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #116 - February 08, 2010, 05:53 PM

not today.. I need to organize my thoughts on this.

Reply #117 - February 08, 2010, 05:54 PM

Indeed! Or birds throwing stones at an army and killing them all and so on...

I always found these stories kind of cool myself. I think I would be more embarassed for thinking that God was not capable of performing miracles, since I do beleive in Him.

I have questioned whether the Quran is the true word of God many many times. With a humble heart I beleive that it is.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #118 - February 08, 2010, 05:57 PM

I always found these stories kind of cool myself. I think I would be more embarassed for thinking that God was not capable of performing miracles, since I do beleive in Him.

I have questioned whether the Quran is the true word of God many many times. With a humble heart I beleive that it is.

How come Allah doesn't do this shit nowadays? I swear, I'd fucking go Muslamic if I saw a talking bird! Especially if it came up to me and went "ay yo iblis, u gots to believe in Allah.. *chirp*"

Reply #119 - February 08, 2010, 05:58 PM

Iblis, as far as I'm aware it says nothing in the Quran regarding how vast Solomons kingdom was - all we know from the Quran was that it was a community that consisted of men, jinn and birds.

Hassan:

It is in the Qur'an!''

I think Hassan meant to say if, for example, this story wasn't in the Quran and you read it in Vedas, then you would have laughed your ass off.

• Previous page 1 2 3 45 6 ... 19 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »