Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
June 26, 2024, 07:57 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
June 26, 2024, 11:07 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
June 26, 2024, 03:53 AM

Eid Al-Adha
by akay
June 26, 2024, 03:50 AM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
June 24, 2024, 02:38 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
June 24, 2024, 07:45 AM

France Muslims were in d...
June 23, 2024, 09:58 PM

Qur'anic studies today
June 20, 2024, 06:24 PM

Marcion and the introduct...
by zeca
June 17, 2024, 03:58 PM

ماذا يحدث هذه الايام؟؟؟.
by akay
June 17, 2024, 01:00 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
June 17, 2024, 11:14 AM

Jesus mythicism
by zeca
June 15, 2024, 10:14 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: The heart of the EDL army is online, not on the streets

(Read 51361 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 ... 20 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The heart of the EDL army is online, not on the streets
     Reply #450 - November 10, 2011, 06:11 PM

@Posthuman. Because it was overrun by Turkish invaders from outside the landmass just like North America was overrun by European invaders from outside North America, something you appeared to believe had a bearing on the appropriateness of using the word "native" with respect to the indigenous population of Europe.

Native Americans exist, what's a Native Anatolian? If they exist in that term, show me them, and I'll call them natives. Afro

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #451 - November 10, 2011, 06:19 PM

Quote from: posthuman
    No, I deliberately chose prayer because that is definitly something literally interpreted.

So you agree that most Muslims ARE literalists?

Muslims don't eat pork, but they're allowed to if pork is all there is. That's a contextual rule.

In other words, if we find examples of Muslims eating pork it cannot be taken as evidence that they are "non-literalists". Correct?

Killing yourself is literally banned in the Qur'an, would you agree that a literal interpretation of this means suicide bombing is anti-Islamic?

The Koran also lays it down AS A BASIC duty for Muslims to "kill and be killed" and something to "rejoice" in (9:111). A thorough reading of Islamic texts must lead to the conclusion that suicidal actions in pursuit of jihad - as opposed to topping yourself because you are depressed - are perfectly OK in the sight of Allah.

There's a hadeeth in Bukhari that says Muhammad forbade using fire as a weapon, as this is God's punishment not ours.

Is that the hadith in which Ali burned an apostate?

Would a literal interpretation of this mean almost all forms of modern warfare are anti-Islamic?

You mean that any weaponry that might involve "the enemies of Allah" getting burned would be regarded as Islamically unacceptable?

Simple thinking like yours doesn't really help.

Help what?

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #452 - November 10, 2011, 06:23 PM

Native Americans exist, what's a Native Anatolian? If they exist in that term, show me them, and I'll call them natives. Afro

Hold on. You challenged me above to
    Prove that the majority population of Turkey [ie mainly Anatolia]are not native to that region.

Now you are challenging me to prove that they ARE native to the region. Could you please clarify your OWN position on this?

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #453 - November 10, 2011, 06:44 PM

So you agree that most Muslims ARE literalists?

You seem to have trouble getting your head around the concept of some things being literally correct, others contextual, others metaphorical. You're assuming it is all either literal, or all metaporical.

In other words, if we find examples of Muslims eating pork it cannot be taken as evidence that they are "non-literalists". Correct?

I specifically used pork as a CONTEXTUAL rule, not an absolute one. So you're conclusion is invalid.

The Koran also lays it down AS A BASIC duty for Muslims to "kill and be killed" and something to "rejoice" in (9:111). A thorough reading of Islamic texts must lead to the conclusion that suicidal actions in pursuit of jihad - as opposed to topping yourself because you are depressed - are perfectly OK in the sight of Allah.

Qur'an: 4:29 O you who have believed, do not consume one another's wealth unjustly but only [in lawful] business by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves [or one another]. Indeed, Allah is to you ever Merciful. And whoever does that in aggression and injustice - then We will drive him into a Fire. And that, for Allah , is [always] easy.

I don't exactly like the Qur'an, but to conclude from the above that suicide bombs are perfectly fine, is dishonest on your part.

Being willing to die in battle for your God, tribe, country is not a command to die.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #454 - November 10, 2011, 06:49 PM

Hold on. You challenged me above to
    Now you are challenging me to prove that they ARE native to the region. Could you please clarify your OWN position on this?

I don't have a position on it, you seem to though, I'm just asking for evidence for whatever your stance is, and why it should matter.

Native Americans remain as such, even if they're Christians. For you, a Christian Turk is a native. A Muslim one, an invader.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #455 - November 11, 2011, 06:43 AM

Quote from: post human
    You seem to have trouble getting your head around the concept of some things being literally correct, others contextual, others metaphorical. You're assuming it is all either literal, or all metaphorical.

I'm assuming all WHAT is either literal or contextual? You have above stated that ALL Muslims "interpret" the Islamic prayer requirement as meaning bowing to Allah with their foreheads touching the ground and their backsides in the air. Does this or does this NOT mean that ALL Muslims are literalists in their understanding of the Islamic prayer requirement?

I specifically used pork as a CONTEXTUAL rule, not an absolute one.

I did notice you sneaked in the concept of "context" which was clearly in order to confuse and complcate the simple issue of whether or not "most Muslims" are "non-literalists", as Hassan and others here like to claim. The question is NOT whether certain Qur'anic verses are mandatory under ALL circumstances. Anyhow, a Muslim who eats pig meat because the alternative is starvation is STILL interpreting the Qur'an LITERALLY and is therefore NOT a "non-literalist" since they are LITERALLY interpreting the Qur'anic permission to eat non-halal food in cases of absolute necessity.

Qur'an: 4:29 O you who have believed, do not consume one another's wealth unjustly but only [in lawful] business by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves [or one another].

First of all, bracketed passages in translations of the Koran are not in the original Arabic. Even if it is a valid embellishment it is telling the BELIEVERS not to kill OTHER BELIEVERS - NOT to refrain from killing Kafirs.

Indeed, Allah is to you ever Merciful. And whoever does that in aggression and injustice - then We will drive him into a Fire. And that, for Allah , is [always] easy.

I don't know the relevance of this passage to the question of whether or not Muslims are "non-literalists". Another attempt to confuse and divert the issue perhaps? Anyway "injustice" means "injustice" ISLAMICALLY  speaking, not how I - or perhaps even you - understand the term

I don't exactly like the Qur'an, but to conclude from the above that suicide bombs are perfectly fine, is dishonest on your part. Being willing to die in battle for your God, tribe, country is not a command to die.

And one can die in battle using suicidal military tactics like the Kamikaze - a different thing from topping yourself because you're depressed. Funny how you have suddenly forgotten the concept of "context" which YOU earlier invoked in order to muddy the waters.

BTW Posthuman. you would do well to read THIS

Reply #456 - November 11, 2011, 07:07 AM

I don't have a position on it, you seem to though, I'm just asking for evidence for whatever your stance is, and why it should matter.

Hold on again buddy. It is YOU who first brought up the matter of countries being under "foreign occupation" i.e.:

Native means displaced/replaced by force.

and continued

Nobody talks about the natives of Europe, because most of the "natives" of Europe, are not in Europe, by the actions of people from Europe. This cannot be said of any other "native".

I raised the issue of Turkey and North Africa because historically these land areas were were subject to waves of invasions by Turks and Arabs who certainly DID engage in displacement of the incumbent populations.

Native Americans remain as such, even if they're Christians.

And a "Native American" warrants the term "native" because their ancestors were "displaced by force"?

For you, a Christian Turk is a native. A Muslim one, an invader.

And WHY isn't a Muslim one an "invader" in your opinion?

Reply #457 - November 11, 2011, 10:28 AM

I'm assuming all WHAT is either literal or contextual? You have above stated that ALL Muslims "interpret" the Islamic prayer requirement as meaning bowing to Allah with their foreheads touching the ground and their backsides in the air. Does this or does this NOT mean that ALL Muslims are literalists in their understanding of the Islamic prayer requirement?

Nope, I just said in Islam prayer is obligatory, as mentioned in the Qur'an. The method of praying is not in the Qur'an.

I did notice you sneaked in the concept of "context" which was clearly in order to confuse and complcate the simple issue of whether or not "most Muslims" are "non-literalists", as Hassan and others here like to claim. The question is NOT whether certain Qur'anic verses are mandatory under ALL circumstances. Anyhow, a Muslim who eats pig meat because the alternative is starvation is STILL interpreting the Qur'an LITERALLY and is therefore NOT a "non-literalist" since they are LITERALLY interpreting the Qur'anic permission to eat non-halal food in cases of absolute necessity.

Sneaked? We all know what your game is: You want to convince yourself most Muslims are a threat. It's not going to work, because most Muslims are not a threat and live pretty mediocre lives like the rest of us.

Your game won't have you win - reality is a bitch. Cry

And one can die in battle using suicidal military tactics like the Kamikaze - a different thing from topping yourself because you're depressed. Funny how you have suddenly forgotten the concept of "context" which YOU earlier invoked in order to muddy the waters.

No, the waters ARE muddy, that's just reality. You don't like muddy water, that's your problem. You have the same mind as fundamentalists (THAT'S WHY YOU BOTH READ ISLAM THE SAME WAY), you hate having to think too much, and want to simplify an issue as much as possible.

Notice how you speak about depression, fallacy - nobody ever mentioned depression or any motive for killing yourself - just the act of killing yourself.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #458 - November 11, 2011, 10:38 AM

Hold on again buddy. It is YOU who first brought up the matter of countries being under "foreign occupation" i.e.:

LOL

Yes....and Turkey has what to do with this? Maybe Iraq, Palestine...would be a better example. Or...do Muslims not count?

"On the third day after the fall of our city, the Sultan celebrated his victory with a great, joyful triumph. He issued a proclamation: the citizens of all ages who had managed to escape detection were to leave their hiding places throughout the city and come out into the open, as they were remain free and no question would be asked. He further declared the restoration of houses and property to those who had abandoned our city before the siege, if they returned home, they would be treated according to their rank and religion, as if nothing had changed."
        —George Sphrantzes - Byzantine Historian who records the event.

The reason why everyone knows what happened to the Native Americans, is because it happened. It's a terrible thing, word of it spreads, and even AT THE TIME it was a terrible thing.

Constantinople was taken, what's the best way to keep the city? By keeping the people who live in it happy. They run the place, it was already well administered, wealthy - it would be poor strategy to take a city and then ensure it's crumbling by getting rid of the experienced population who know how to run it.

But for you, the written text of what was even THEN, a very old book, is what takes precedence over the ugly world of muddy waters. idiot2

I raised the issue of Turkey and North Africa because historically these land areas were were subject to waves of invasions by Turks and Arabs who certainly DID engage in displacement of the incumbent populations.

The reason why the invasions were rapid was precisely because it WASN'T displacing large populations, a bit like Alexander the Great's method, just the administration, the political invasions. The REGIME CHANGE if you like. The Romans did something similar too. The majority of Muslims countries, are not from Saudi Arabia, the majority of Americans ARE European in origin, the majority of Australians ARE majority European in origin, the majority of Canadians ARE European in origin.

And just like everything else in history, including the Crusades - it was about economics. But you wouldn't like to muddy the waters with economics now would you? That would just require more thinking and reading and that's just too much trouble...awww... Thinking hard little angel

And WHY isn't a Muslim one an "invader" in your opinion?

You seriously asking this question? Why ISN'T a Muslim Turk an invader? Go fuck yourself. lol  wacko

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #459 - November 11, 2011, 11:00 AM

Human beings generally follow their gut, not texts.

Anyway, let's imagine ALL MUSLIMS ARE LITERALISTS. I will pretend to agree with you.

All Muslims are literalists, which means....

(This is where you take your point to the next level)

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #460 - November 11, 2011, 11:33 AM

"The Ottomans, on the other hand, had a larger force. Recent studies and Ottoman archival data point out that there were about 80,000 Ottoman soldiers including 5/6,000–10,000 elite Janissaries and thousands of Christian troops, notably 1,500 Serbian cavalry that the Serbian lord Đurađ Branković supplied as part of his obligation to the Ottoman sultan."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople#Preparations

DH:  idiot2 But........Muslim = invader, Christian Ottoman not Muslim, Christian not invader, Muslim fighting with him = invader  ohmy, Christian = infidel Undecided Infidel = killed...............MUDDY WATERS!!!!  Over react Run for the hills.........................never mind - Muslim = Bad  bedtime2

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #461 - November 11, 2011, 12:02 PM

DH: Want your head to explode with some more mud?

What is the ultimate evil? General consensus would probably say Nazis or something.

I agree they were very evil, but muddy waters is the real world.

This picture is of the ideal Nazi soldier:

Werner Goldberg - Half Jewish, and known to be. Took part in the invasion of Poland. Throughout world war 2, we find Jews, and half Jews, in every rank in the military.

Conspiracy theories abound (the Jews infiltrated and took down the Nazis!" "The Jews are naturally on the "superior race" line of thinking anyway."

Or if you live in the REAL WORLD, then you can figure out early on if I'm starting war, if I want an Empire, like Britain, I can't be fussy about races that look pretty much like me. cool2

They were scum bags of course for even trying, but...reality is that racism doesn't work. Just like the reality that suicide bombngs don't work.

Believe that crap

Regardless of what is written, a Jew can be anyone, even an atheist. They exist, in reality, they are Jewish atheists. In fact a Jew can even be an Aryan!

Luftwaffe general Helmut Wilberg, 1st degree Jewish Mischling and declared Aryan in 1935 by Hitler.

There are Muslims who are war hungry, Muslims who are pacifist, Muslims who are vegetarian (I know some) and Muslims who think capital punishment is wrong.

They exist - and will continue to exist. Deal with reality. If you recall, or are unaware, I made a thread about Muslim Atheism - don't go there, your brain will melt with your level of simplistic thinking.

You ought to review your thinking if Hitler shows more complexity in thought.

Your fundamental problem is: People call themselves Muslims, Islam says x, Muslims don't do x.

1 - Who cares what people call themselves? Names are myths.
    2 - Islam says nothing, only Muslims say things.
    3 - If you have a talking book, then awesome.

Conclusion: You've made 2000 posts talking about human beings, and how they use myths (names), to back up one big myth (religion).

I don't mind myths.

These people call themselves Muslims in that picture, fair enough, if you want to be called Muslim I'll call you one. It's just a word.

However, according to you, they're not Muslims.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #462 - November 11, 2011, 12:11 PM

If most people don't really believe that stars affect their day to day to lives, why do so many people read the horoscopes?

Isn't that mindboggling?

No. It's not.

Fallacy: Assumption that people read things that they already believe.

If Rebecca Black is so awful, why does she have 150 million views?

Fallacy: People only watch what they enjoy.

My fallacy from above: People can't enjoy hating something.

If freedom is the American way, why do they have one of the largest prison populations?

Fallacy: Freedom means no justice.

If the only victims after the murder is the family, then isn't it justice to execute the killers family?

Fallacy: Justice is not revenge.

We've been evolved over millions of years. It's going to take a fuck load more than a book to affect our nature. The result, is a world of paradoxical reality. The core cause of this is NOT religious books, but our nature itself.

But well done for the 2000+ posts on what is NOT the actual issue. Don't worry, there's forums for alien abduction experiences, there's forums for Flat Earthers, Creationists, 2012 prophecies, thousands of posts, they have a much bigger fail awaiting them. jawdrop

Advice: Cherish our human nature, our contradictions, our paradoxes and our irrational habits. It's what we will use to determine friend from foe in the future. You know, after the robots take over.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #463 - November 11, 2011, 12:57 PM

Strewth, Posthuman, you been on the deep-fried Mars Bars again?
     Reply #464 - November 11, 2011, 01:29 PM

I do my best in the mornings, after I do my best, I go off to work, to disappoint everyone else.

AND FYI I had sushi for breakfast!

Never had a deep fried Mars Bar, I live in Glasgow, never seen it anywhere. One of those urban myths that spread probably because one person did it in somewhere in Russia with a Twirl, that's how it starts.

EDIT: Not an urban myth. Started in Aberdeen, due to one person doing it, and mentioning it in a phonecall. Then this non-reality spread like wildfire, until it was adopted in several cities in Scotland, usually kids buy it. Including Glasgow, most of whom no longer do it.

The deep-fried Mars bar is mentioned in UK quarterly The Idler's book Crap Towns II: The Nation Decides in the article on Glasgow. 'SJ' writes: "They aren't an urban myth: they are available in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. I ate one on a cold December night. It was quite nice. Then I was sick."

Source: Wiki

EDIT: I now know why people find it weird, disgusting. As did I.  Assuming it is eaten like other things from chippies. Like, with chips.

Whereas:

Looks quite nice with vanilla ice-cream and a deep fried banana with it. mysmilie_977

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #465 - November 11, 2011, 01:50 PM

Sushi for breakfast...

Like a dog with a bone when arguing...

You a lawyer by any chance?

Reply #466 - November 11, 2011, 02:36 PM

What makes you think I was arguing? I wasn't, prove that I was!

banana dance

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #467 - November 11, 2011, 03:38 PM

Nope, I just said in Islam prayer is obligatory, as mentioned in the Qur'an.

You did NOT "just" say that. You said that prayer is "DEFINITELY something literally interpreted" by "ALL Muslims". In other words "most Muslims" are NOT "non-literalists".

The method of praying is not in the Qur'an.

I beg to differ. Would you also like to claim that the method of Islamic prayer is not specified in the hadith and biographies? Remember, you have already made reference to the hadith in support of your "points" (whatever those are) so any efforts to go all "Koran only" on me now will be a bit late and will smack of desperation on your part.

Sneaked? We all know what your game is: You want to convince yourself most Muslims are a threat. It's not going to work, because most Muslims are not a threat and live pretty mediocre lives like the rest of us.

My motives, real or imagined, is not the issue. The issue is whether or not "most Muslims" (as Hassan and others would have us believe) are "non-literalist" - which you have above conceded is NOT the case. Indeed, it does logically follow that if "most Muslims" do NOT consciously "interpret" the Qur'an in a "nice" "non-literal" way then that necessarily carries with it certain ramifications. If you haven't got the guts to face up to these ramifications then that is YOUR problem.

No, the waters ARE muddy, that's just reality.

As far as the current question of whether "most Muslims" are "non-literalists" are concerned the "water" is crystal clear. The statement is either true or false. You seek to muddy the water by bringing in that old shibboleth of "context". Why?

You have the same mind as fundamentalists,

As opposed to what? "Non-literalist" Muslims which you have above conceded do NOT comprise the "vast majority" of "Muslims"?

you hate having to think too much, and want to simplify an issue as much as possible.

The issue of whether or not "most Muslims" are "non-literalist" IS simple. You, for whatever reason, seek to complicate it. Why?

Notice how you speak about depression, fallacy - nobody ever mentioned depression or any motive for killing yourself - just the act of killing yourself.

Actually PH, the verse you invoked rendered into English as "do not kill yourself" is a red herring because it appears it would in fact be understood in the original Arabic as in the square-brackets in the version you provided above and elaborated on in the link that I provided, which you do not appear to have read ie:

When giving commands regarding the Islamic Brotherhood, the Qur'an uses a beautiful style with a profound message. Instead of saying, "greet each other" it says, "greet yourself." [An-Nur 24:61]. Instead of saying, "do not defame each other," it says, "do not defame yourself." [Al-Hujurat 49:11]. Instead of saying, "do not kill each other," it says, "do not kill yourself." [An-Nisaa 4:29]. The message is clear: Whatever is happening to others in the Brotherhood, is actually happening to yourself. Any aggression against any part of the Brotherhood is an aggression against all of it.

So far from being a command that would, as you allege, preclude Muslims engaging in suicide bombings it is in fact properly understood as a command not to KILL OTHER MUSLIMS. That would perhaps explain why those who "kill and are killed in the way of Allah" by flying jetliners into skyscrapers are not in the slightest bit deterred by this verse.

Reply #468 - November 11, 2011, 05:29 PM

This IS a crucial issue. It is important that Islam-ignorant non-Muslims understand that people like your friend do NOT represent the REAL Islam

The question in fact, originally was your nonsensical statement above claiming that you have knowledge and understanding of something called "REAL ISLAM".

You are not in a position to do this. Whether most Muslims are this or that, is again not your position to do so. You simply don't know the answer to what Muslims are. Only a bigot is desperate to try and lump a large group together, and condemn people who don't fit your profile, who call themselves Muslim. In other words, you exhibit all the characteristics of an extremist/fundamentalist.

I beg to differ. Would you also like to claim that the method of Islamic prayer is not specified in the hadith and biographies? Remember, you have already made reference to the hadith in support of your "points" (whatever those are) so any efforts to go all "Koran only" on me now will be a bit late and will smack of desperation on your part.

You can beg to your hearts content, methodology of salah, as performed by Muslims today, is not in the Qur'an. That is why there are variations. But no variations really on the obligation to pray. That was the point about consensus, as opposed to disputed. For you there is no such thing as dispute in Islam, which is why you're failing here. You don't want debate, you thought you'd come here on an ex-Muslim forum, and find the equivalent of a self-hating Jew, Muslim version. Sorry dude, not me.

My motives, real or imagined, is not the issue. The issue is whether or not "most Muslims" (as Hassan and others would have us believe) are "non-literalist" - which you have above conceded is NOT the case. Indeed, it does logically follow that if "most Muslims" do NOT consciously "interpret" the Qur'an in a "nice" "non-literal" way then that necessarily carries with it certain ramifications. If you haven't got the guts to face up to these ramifications then that is YOUR problem.

The question is wrong because you assume your understanding of the text and it's application is sound, and therefore the literalist and metaphorical categories emerge, whoever deviates from YOU is not a real Muslim. Your initial assumption of knowing is what needs to be questioned here, not your resultant conclusions.

I notice how you keep switching between statements:

"Most Muslims are literalists."

"Most Muslims are literalist, when it comes to prayer."

If you can't appreciate that people can be both at the same time, then you're a weak mind.

For example, Buddhists are rational when it comes to gods, irrational when it comes to reincarnation.

Therefore Buddhists are irrational.   <<<<You.

Therefore Buddhists can be both rational and irrational.    <<<<Me.

Not very complicated.

Your motives are in fact everything. They're poison quite frankly. David knows more than you about that girl, only a fundamentalist considers it his business to question people they don't know and have no business making judgements about. da finga

As opposed to what? "Non-literalist" Muslims which you have above conceded do NOT comprise the "vast majority" of "Muslims WHEN IT COMES TO SALAH."?

I've added in the last part, didn't you learn to finish sentences at school?

The issue of whether or not "most Muslims" are "non-literalist" WHEN IT COMES SALAH IS simple. You, for whatever reason, seek to complicate it. Why?

It's not complicated now that I've finished your sentence, again.

Actually PH, the verse you invoked rendered into English as "do not kill yourself" is a red herring because it appears it would in fact be understood in the original Arabic as in the square-brackets in the version you provided above and elaborated on in the link that I provided, which you do not appear to have read ie:

Depression wasn't a red herring? You just threw it in there to complicate what is in fact a simple issue, taking your own life is a major sin. Why complicate matters? It's a sin in Judaism, and in Christianity, and is highly not recommended to do (ensure your own death) virtually anywhere...but Muslims must be different. It's not me complicating anything, it's you, douchebag.

So far from being a command that would, as you allege, preclude Muslims engaging in suicide bombings it is in fact properly understood as a command not to KILL OTHER MUSLIMS. That would perhaps explain why those who "kill and are killed in the way of Allah" by flying jetliners into skyscrapers are not in the slightest bit deterred by this verse.

Sounds like something altruistic, which is what religion's primary function is. Humans lived for tens of thousands of years in small groups, knew everyone, cared about everyone, because we knew them personally. In order to facilitate an organized society, myths like complete strangers being your brothers and sisters, being the offspring of one God, or being descended from one of 12 sons of Abraham, are used to create affinity between people you will never meet.

I'm writing a few pieces on the evolution of religion in civilization. They after all began at the same time. Both civilization, and religion are myths.

Today, I need no reason other than empathy to feel that all of humanity is linked together.

Well..having a billion computers all linked up in a web, might have helped. Afro

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #469 - November 11, 2011, 06:43 PM

DH you are as qualified to speak about most people living in the green areas of this picture as you are in the orange or the lilac.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #470 - November 11, 2011, 11:32 PM

Friday, 11 November 2011
    EDL and MfE paying their respects peacfully - 170 arrests to prevent a 'possible' breach of the peace.   

I have just returned from central London where I witnessed disgraceful scenes worthy of a police state.

Following the banning of MAC this morning and their declaring that they would not be attending outside the Royal Albert Hall to disrupt the 2 minutes silence those members of March for England and the EDL decided that their respects could be paid at other venues in London. Many met in Whitehall for the service at the Cenotaph; a day’s holiday booked from work and a train ticket paid for was not to be wasted.  Instructions were clear – no colours, no flags, smart dress with poppy as far as possible , decorous behaviour befitting the occasion.

I decided to go first to St Paul’s Cathedral, which has an especial place in the affections of all native born Londoners like myself. I was hoping this poppy art installation was available to view by the general public (it wasn’t); I intended to have elevenses in the crypt café but it was shut due to the Occupy London tent city. I also wanted to see the Occupy group for myself.

Acting on a lucky impulse I decided not to stay at the Cathedral but instead made my way to the city church which is associated with my husband’s old regiment where veterans and serving soldiers were gathering.  Servicemen aged 19-90 were gathered, some with their wives; the numbers were more than doubled by city workers, office workers in business suits, builders in yellow protective clothing, like me drawn to pay our respects in company, and a public space. We heard the sound of the bugle and for 2 minutes the only sound was far off traffic and the gurgle of the fountain. The men and their families of the regiment filed into church and the rest of us went about our business.

As I passed the Cathedral a march was forming. This was going in roughly the same direction as I was and it passed me several times. I heard many people remark on the number of police required to keep a bunch of elderly hippies, some in wheelchairs, in order. Irritating as they were the only danger they presented in my opinion was from the plump women with the swinging joss sticks. They stopped at the Law Courts, where drums were beaten and ululations made and passed the edge of Trafalgar Square to pass down Whitehall. I contacted a friend of March for England who I hoped to meet during lunchtime. He told me that the police had kettled them in near the Cenotaph which at that timed sounded no more than a bit of an inconvienience.

The Occupy London march moved slowly past Horseguards Parade, some stopped to stroke the horses. They stopped outside Downing Street and banged the drums and ululated a bit more. They took not a blind bit of notice of either the Cenotaph or the group surrounded by police in and outside the Red Lion pub. At the bottom of Parliament Street they went to join the long standing ‘peace camp’ outside Parliament and I didn’t see where they went after that.

I met people I know from Dagenham and Essex who had been allowed to leave the kettle. They told me that as the crowd dispersed the police (presumably recognising them, as I said there were no colours as wasn’t an official presence) filtered EDL and MfE into the Red Lion pub on the corner of Derby Gate. Even if they were not intending to have a drink they were told they HAD to enter the pub. Some women, accompanied by their husbands were allowed to leave, and a few others slipped quietly out before the police lines became too thick. We watched from outside as more and more police came up, more and more vans arrived, and the dog vans were opened. I am told by people who I have found to be honest and reliable, one of whom is an independent observer engaged in academic research, that police officers rushed through from the back doors of the pub, while their colleagues held a thick dayglo line at the front.

An older man with a heart condition was pushed to the floor and dragged on his knees. A professional journalist from The Telegraph caught it on video here.  After a medic confirmed that his heart rate showed distress he was arrested, taken outside where he was de-arrested and told to make himself scarce. After telling me his story he did so.  Other men who required first aid for grazes and bruises were allowed to go.

We then watched as men and women were taken out of the pub in small groups, lined up in Parliament Street handcuffed while vans were brought to take them away. 170 patriots were arrested to ‘prevent a breach of the peace'. Where have I heard that before? My friends the Bromley 15 in July.

The BBC London news report I have just watched says that it is not clear and the police will not say what breach of the peace was anticipated. The Occupy London march took no notice of the people in the pub, and the people in the pub took not notice of them. There is a suggestion that the mention of some individuals visiting to St Pauls later caused alarm. I visited St Pauls before – did I pose a threat? Some silly comment on Facebook should not provoke such a response, after all MAC’s vile threats were tolerated as ‘free speech’ for years. 

I hear as I write 6.30 pm GMT that individuals are being released from Police Stations around London, without charge, Lewisham in South London being one. I post this as a preliminary – I will be adding pictures as I process them.

The behaviour of the police was inexplicable. 170 arrests of people causing no trouble is unprecedented in my lifetime. As the BBC reporter said (and this is the BBC – not the best friend of the EDL) police outnumbered the people kettled into the pub by 3:1.

I need time to think about this. But frankly the police orders were a disgrace. This I do know - the public are expected to remember headlines 170 EDL arrested on Armistice Day - and not notice that no charges were ever brought.

Photographs E Weatherwax November 2011
     Reply #471 - November 11, 2011, 11:38 PM

The above was taken from here,
    http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm/blog_id/38966
    I thought the photo's and videos would paste along with the text, please watch the video of the old man with a heart condition dragged along the street like a sack of fucking meat, disgusting.

Arthur.
     Reply #472 - November 12, 2011, 01:15 AM

So where were all the EDL thugs to sort out those thuggish police when they need 'em?    whistling2

"The greatest general is not the one who can take the most cities or spill the most blood. The greatest general is the one who can take Heaven and Earth without waging the battle." ~ Sun Tzu

Reply #473 - November 12, 2011, 01:34 AM

EDL member Andrew Wilson told BBC London that "some young idiots have had a fight in a pub".

"Police have charged in there and just gone over the top and forced us all out."

"Then because there are members of the English Defence League in there, they've obviously attributed it to us."
    ------------------

Your group has a magnetic attraction for 'young idiots'. Who would have thought... wacko

Nicely ignored by the way, the fact there was a fight, no mention by you Arthur, of any kind of fight involving a pub filled with EDL members.

I mean it's not as if the police have ANY reason to suspect that a large presence of EDL members would be a cause for concern on a sensitive day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-15581264
    EDL leader suspended sentence for headbutt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-15313902
    The founder of the English Defence League has lost an appeal against his conviction for leading a brawl involving 100 football fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-15173023
    EDL demo costs Telford and Wrekin Council £22,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-15078487
    Wellington English Defence League demo cost police £342,500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-14793880
    Nottingham pig's head mosque race abuse men (EDL Nottingham) sentenced

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14778429
    Sixty people have been arrested after English Defence League (EDL) members clashed with police in east London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14775154
    Scuffles break out at EDL protest in east London

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's just the last couple of months.

Fuck sake, can't even put a pigs head through a mosque anymore, political correctness gone mad. finmad

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #474 - November 12, 2011, 01:49 AM

So where were all the EDL thugs to sort out those thuggish police when they need 'em?    whistling2

Don't just take his version of events, hold everyone accountable. It's what Batman would do.

Before Jesus was, I AM.
     Reply #475 - November 14, 2011, 07:45 AM

The question in fact, originally was your nonsensical statement above claiming that you have knowledge and understanding of something called "REAL ISLAM".

I take it you are implying that "Islam" is whatever someone who calls themselves a "Muslim" says it is. If so I take it you regard the racist ideology of the Nation of Islam to be as much "real Islam" as that of orthodox sunnis?

You are not in a position to do this. Whether most Muslims are this or that, is again not your position to do so. You simply don't know the answer to what Muslims are.

Let me remind you that it is YOU that confidently stated above that "ALL Muslims" understand the Qur'anic prayer requirement "literally" - just as it was not ME who first proffered a distinction between "literalist" and "non-literalist" Muslims. What puts YOU in a more of a "position" to make such confident assertions of Muslim beliefs than me? Furthermore, if we accept your self-contradicting statement,  neither Hassan, billy nor anybody else  are in a position to confidently assert that "most Muslims" are "non-literalists"? Correct?

You can beg to your hearts content, methodology of salah, as performed by Muslims today, is not in the Qur'an.

Are you absolutely sure about that? And I ask you again, is it or is it not laid out in extra-Qur'anic sources?

That is why there are variations.

Type "Muslims Praying" into Google images and select some of those alleged modes of Muslim prayer that "vary" from:

Only a bigot is desperate to try and lump a large group together, and condemn people who don't fit your profile,

I am not desperate do do anything. The only "desperation" comes from you and others here who are intent on persuading the world that there is some great gulf in outlook between an alleged "vast majority" of "non-literalist" Muslims (to which their nearest and dearest without exception belong) and "pro-sharia literalists"

who call themselves Muslim. In other words, you exhibit all the characteristics of an extremist/fundamentalist.

As opposed to what kind of Muslim?

The question is wrong because you assume your understanding of the text and it's application is sound, and therefore the literalist and metaphorical categories emerge, whoever deviates from YOU is not a real Muslim.

So is a suicide bomber a "Real Muslim" or not?

I notice how you keep switching between statements:

"Most Muslims are literalists."

"Most Muslims are literalist, when it comes to prayer."

If you can't appreciate that people can be both at the same time, then you're a weak mind.

For example, Buddhists are rational when it comes to gods, irrational when it comes to reincarnation.

Spurious comparison typical of your "debating" methodology. Islam likewise comprises both rational and IRrational beliefs. Both are integral to the belief system. Most Buddhists are LITERALISTS when it comes the core buddhist doctrine of reincarnation. If someone says "I am a buddhist" it is, by your own admission, reasonable to assume that they believe in reincarnation literally. Likewise, if someone says "I am a Muslim" it is reasonable to assume that in their ideal world adulterers would be "mercilessly" flogged - LITERALLY.

Therefore Buddhists are irrational.   <<<<You.

Therefore Buddhists can be both rational and irrational.    <<<<Me.

Not very complicated.

Not very logical either.

Depression wasn't a red herring?

No.

You just threw it in there to complicate what is in fact a simple issue, taking your own life is a major sin.

Are you saying that the verse in question is only reasonably open to a SINGLE LITERAL "interpretation" and cannot be equally validly "interpreted" with all sorts of "nuances" and "contexts" which would FULLY JUSTIFY suicide bombing?

Reply #476 - November 14, 2011, 04:07 PM

Anyway, let's imagine ALL MUSLIMS ARE LITERALISTS. I will pretend to agree with you.

Pretend to agree with me? Let me remind you ONCE AGAIN. It is YOU who said ALL Muslims know that 5 times prayer is an obligation....How do you explain this, they KNOW quite clearly what to do LITERALLY 5 times a day and the consequences, yet most don't at all or just a few, sometimes.

In other words ALL Muslims LITERALLY UNDERSTAND the Islamic prayer requirement as 5X:

(unless you can provide pictural evidence of these supposed "many variants" of salat you refer to)

That some may not, for whatever reason, do the whole 5 every day in NO WAY confers a "non-literalist" status upon them.

All Muslims are literalists, which means....

It means that if ALL Muslims are literalists it means that MOST Muslims are NOT "non-literalists". WHATEVER THAT MEANS I might add. In fact it is MEANINGLESS. "Islam" means submitting to the will of Allah which means LITERALLY DOING and NOT DOING whatever Allah says they should do and not do. My earlier reference to a "beer swilling, prayer avoiding etc" "variety" was a sarcastic rejection of the whole concept of "non-literal Islam". How does one "non-literally interpret" "don't drink alcohol" so that it means "Go ahead....destroy your liver"?

Reply #477 - November 14, 2011, 04:20 PM

Many concerns over the loyalty of ethnic Japanese seemed to stem from racial prejudice rather than evidence of actual malfeasance. Major Karl Bendetsen and Lieutenant General John L. DeWitt, head of the Western Command, each questioned Japanese American loyalty. DeWitt, who administered the internment program, repeatedly told newspapers that "A Jap's a Jap" and testified to Congress,
    I don't want any of them [persons of Japanese ancestry] here. They are a dangerous element. There is no way to determine their loyalty... It makes no difference whether he is an American citizen, he is still a Japanese. American citizenship does not necessarily determine loyalty... But we must worry about the Japanese all the time until he is wiped off the map.[20][21]
     whistling2

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #478 - November 14, 2011, 04:27 PM

Quote from: arthur1
    Friday, 11 November 2011
    EDL and MfE paying their respects peacfully - 170 arrests to prevent a 'possible' breach of the peace.   

I have just returned from central London where I witnessed disgraceful scenes worthy of a police state.

So are the EDL now also the stormtroopers of GFB financiers who are responsible for the stinking mess the British economy is in and against whose shenanigans the St Paul's occupiers are validly demonstrating?

Reply #479 - November 14, 2011, 04:31 PM

Many concerns over the loyalty of ethnic Japanese seemed to stem from racial prejudice rather than evidence of actual malfeasance. Major Karl Bendetsen and Lieutenant General John L. DeWitt, head of the Western Command, each questioned Japanese American loyalty. DeWitt, who administered the internment program, repeatedly told newspapers that "A Jap's a Jap" and testified to Congress,
    I don't want any of them [persons of Japanese ancestry] here. They are a dangerous element. There is no way to determine their loyalty... It makes no difference whether he is an American citizen, he is still a Japanese. American citizenship does not necessarily determine loyalty... But we must worry about the Japanese all the time until he is wiped off the map.[20][21]
     whistling2

What's that got to do with anything? The treatment of Japanese Americans during WWII was an episode of shame in US history. Quite different in principle from the jailing of Oswald Mosely and his ilk whose KNOWN Nazi sympathies made him a plausible threat to UK security. Stop confusing race (ie Japanese) with IDEOLOGY (ie Muslim).

• Previous page 1 ... 14 15 1617 18 ... 20 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »