Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
October 04, 2024, 01:18 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
October 03, 2024, 12:57 PM

New Britain
October 02, 2024, 07:07 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
September 29, 2024, 07:32 AM

AMRIKAAA Land of Free .....
September 15, 2024, 09:35 PM

Tariq Ramadan Accused of ...
September 11, 2024, 01:37 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
September 11, 2024, 01:01 PM

France Muslims were in d...
September 05, 2024, 03:21 PM

What's happened to the fo...
September 05, 2024, 12:00 PM

German nationalist party ...
September 04, 2024, 03:54 PM

Gaza assault
by zeca
August 25, 2024, 11:52 AM

The origins of Judaism
by zeca
August 18, 2024, 01:03 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Deadly attack on office of French magazine Charlie Hebdo

(Read 85384 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 14 ... 20 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Deadly attack on office of French magazine Charlie Hebdo
     Reply #330 - January 12, 2015, 01:22 PM

I was thinking about the discussions I had on this thread last night and some of the replies I got when I criticised the magazine - not just from Musivore, but a few others too. I tried to work out what was it that got me so irritated and emotional?

I think I felt a bit angry that some people seemed to be placing my comments into the same category as those apologists who try to ameliorate the blame on the terrorists by using criticism of the magazine as justification.

So I just went over all my posts up to the point I criticised the magazine to see if my words gave that impression without me realising it.

Having read all my posts I honestly don't think I gave that impression and I think I made my position very clear.

In fact I only criticised the magazine after a direct question from Amoku.

I've copied my posts here up to the point I criticised the magazine - which is when I got some replies that irritated me a bit.

I would be interested in views - did I really give the impression I was being an apologist? Should I have not replied to the direct question by Amoku?

RIP to those killed.

These guys are well-trained and battle hardened. Back from fighting with ISIS perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblm57WWMbU

Sky News is reporting the names of the three are:

Said Kouachi, Cherif Kouachi & Hamyd Mourad.

Not that it matters what religion or ethnic background those killed come from, but the policeman executed in the street while lying wounded on the ground was Ahmed Merabet, a Muslim policeman.

I only mention that due to the irony and madness of it all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901681/Hero-police-officer-executed-street-married-42-year-old-Muslim-assigned-patrol-Paris-neighbourhood-Charlie-Hebdo-offices-located.html

Someone tweeted this

Dyab Abou Jahjah ‏@Aboujahjah  2h2 hours ago
    I am not Charlie, I am Ahmed the dead cop. Charlie ridiculed my faith and culture and I died defending his right to do so. #JesuisAhmed

I thought it was worth translating and retweeting:

Abu Ali
    @abdulazizbulbul
    @Aboujahjah انا لست شارلي ، انا أحمد الشرطي الميت . شارلي احتقر ديني وثقافتي وانا مت دفاعا عن حقه في القيام بذلك #JesuisAhmed

If you want to share, this is my twitter account:

https://twitter.com/abdulazizbulbul

For me the important point I think needs underlining is that there are a hell of a lot of secular, liberal and non-religious people who nevertheless still identify as Muslims, yet still defend free-speech and secular values as this policeman clearly did by the mere fact of being a policeman. (And by all accounts he did identify as a Muslim, and his family say they are going to bury him in the Muslim cemetery of Bobigny).

The Islamists insist that secular, liberal and non--practising Muslims are not "real" Muslims.

I say fuck them!! I am not going to accept these murderous psychopaths defining what a Muslim can or cannot believe.

Strangely these extremists psychopaths are at one with far-right bigots on this. They also refuse to accept that a "real" Muslim can be a liberal secularist.

So fuck them both!!

Yes. I agree with that.

Previous reports show that many of the top-ranking ISIS leaders are ex-Ba'thists who have decided that hardcore Islamism is the best way to swell their ranks has previously been reported on. They view Islam as a tool.

Sounds cynical - but these guys are cynical bastards.

True!!

Idiots will always be idiots, but what makes these idiots so much more dangerous is they believe they are on a divine mission.

There is nothing worse than a fool driven by a fanatical religious ideology.

Then in reply to a poster called BOSNIAN - who said the following:
    French cartoonist Sine on trial on charges of anti-Semitism over Sarkozy jibe (Charlie Hebdo cartoonist). Looks like they were a bit hypocritical as well- anti-islamic cartoons OK, anti-zionist cartoons JAIL TIME freedom of speech  Cheesy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4351672/French-cartoonist-Sine-on-trial-on-charges-of-anti-Semitism-over-Sarkozy-jibe.html

I said:
    You should get your facts straight before posting. He wasn't "jailed" and in fact "won a 40,000-euro court judgment against his former publisher for wrongful termination."

Plus as others have mentioned the magazine has often been sued by many different religious groups.

And are you seriously equating suing in court to murder?

In reply to a video:
    I think it's spot on!!

As some recent articles have highlighted, I think it is a mistake to think that it is actually about cartoons - but rather about increasing tension between Muslims and non-Muslims.

I know many people who are saying; "Why are these people doing this it will only help the far-right and anti-Islam brigade and harm Muslims living in the West in the long-term"

Well that's exactly what they want to do.

The specific target is not the real issue - except in as far as it helps turn up the heat for Muslims here and pushes more into the arms of extremists.

It's about recruiting - not cartoons.

Sadly some Muslims would regard the magazine as a fair target. Much more so that random passengers on a train or bus.

They want to attract the foolish young disaffected Muslims towards them by showing they are the defenders of true Islam - while at the same time turn Westerners against Muslims, by attacking the thing Westerners cherish deeply - free speech.

These guys (behind the rank and file cannon-fodder) are really that cynical. They are cold, calculated and know exactly what they are doing.

In reply to a comment by Billy:
    This^

And in this they are at one with far-right bigots and xenophobes.

"He who knows best how to employ the fox has succeeded best, but it is necessary to know well how to disguise this characteristic, and to be a great pretender and dissembler. Men are so simple, and so subject to present necessities, that he who seeks to deceive will always find someone who will allow himself to be deceived… Therefore it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always to observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and to be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite."

Nicolo Machiavelli

I had the same thought.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Yep.

Yes. Some.

Then Amoku posted this:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2015/jan/09/joe-sacco-on-satire-a-response-to-the-attacks

What do you think about this? A little comic strip by Joe Sacco.

I think it takes too many leaps in reasoning.

I replied:
    I like it!!

Amoku replied:
    Do you agree with it? If so, why?

I don't.

So I gave my answer:
    I also think the sort of satire published by hebdo is a vapid crass and vulgar way to use the pen.

Although I defend their right to do it, doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

Anyone who knows me will know I criticise Islam a great deal but I always avoid attacking or demeaning Muslims  and avoid gratuitious insults. I have never, for example participated in draw muhammad day.

I defend others right to do so, but I certainly don't have to approve of it and while I defend their freedom to draw cartoons, I am a little concerned that the freedom to criticise them seems to be disapproved of by some and wrongly equated with making excuses for the terrorists, which of course it's not.

I have a feeling that some of those who replied to that post, misunderstood me or did not see the whole picture of what I said on this thread.
     Reply #331 - January 12, 2015, 01:28 PM

"I condemn the attack, even if the cartoons hurt my feelings." Is better

Yes, that would be better.
     Reply #332 - January 12, 2015, 01:36 PM

Or as Hizbollah says: "Extremists hurt us more than cartoons"

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #333 - January 12, 2015, 01:40 PM

Or as Hizbollah says: "Extremists hurt us more than cartoons"

Yes, though I have to take what they say with a pinch of salt.
     Reply #334 - January 12, 2015, 02:00 PM

A good comment here by a French leftist.

On Charlie Hebdo: A letter to my British friends
    http://blogs.mediapart.fr/blog/olivier-tonneau/110115/charlie-hebdo-letter-my-british-friends
     Reply #335 - January 12, 2015, 02:27 PM

I would be interested in views - did I really give the impression I was being an apologist? Should I have not replied to the direct question by Amoku?

Not at all. You said you didn't like the cartoons, I've said the same. Although that may not be helpful I'd consider our comments just a drop in the ocean. The larger problem I think is with people who are publicly saying it and have a large viewership, like large blogs, other magazines, news sites, etc.

While it's well within their right, and while I agree with them, I have to acknowledge that unfortunately it creates an atmosphere where the main message gets blurred and real apologists have an easier time justifying the attacks. That's all.
     Reply #336 - January 12, 2015, 02:56 PM

http://blogs.mediapart.fr/blog/olivier-tonneau/110115/charlie-hebdo-letter-my-british-friends

Excellent article, Zeca - thanks for posting.

Yes, I am the first to admit I look at Charlie Hebdo through the eyes of the British tradition of satire and the boundaries we have here - as I said below.

However I still see nothing out of order in what I said and I feel very uneasy when some expect me to keep my personal opinion quiet for some perceived greater good. I've had a lot of that in the past and am suspicious of it.

I'm a big fan of satire. Though I'm more used to the sort of satire we have in England with Private Eye and of course Monty Python, Yes Minister, Spitting Image etc... I was quite shocked by the extremes the French magazine goes to.

Reply #337 - January 12, 2015, 03:22 PM

I was thinking about the discussions I had on this thread last night and some of the replies I got when I criticised the magazine - not just from Musivore, but a few others too. I tried to work out what was it that got me so irritated and emotional?

I think I felt a bit angry that some people seemed to be placing my comments into the same category as those apologists who try to ameliorate the blame on the terrorists by using criticism of the magazine as justification.

So I just went over all my posts up to the point I criticised the magazine to see if my words gave that impression without me realising it.

Having read all my posts I honestly don't think I gave that impression and I think I made my position very clear.

In fact I only criticised the magazine after a direct question from Amoku.

I've copied my posts here up to the point I criticised the magazine - which is when I got some replies that irritated me a bit.

Then in reply to a poster called BOSNIAN - who said the following:
    I said:
    In reply to a video:

In reply to a comment by Billy:

Then Amoku posted this:

I replied:

Amoku replied:
    So I gave my answer:

I have a feeling that some of those who replied to that post, misunderstood me or did not see the whole picture of what I said on this thread.

I didn't criticise you for your opinion, at least I hope I didn't :(

The reason I asked was simply to see what you guys thought, and if there are other considerations that I should have thought about other than my own.

I disagree with you, but I see where you're coming from. And I wasn't upset by your opinion at all Smiley
     Reply #338 - January 12, 2015, 04:06 PM

However I still see nothing out of order in what I said and I feel very uneasy when some expect me to keep my personal opinion quiet for some perceived greater good. I've had a lot of that in the past and am suspicious of it.

I admit that I haven't read the most recent posts of this thread as thoroughly as I probably could have, but from what I've seen, I have to agree with what Asbie said several posts ago: I don't see anyone saying that, Abu Ali. Has someone said that you have to silence yourself or cannot speak your mind on this thread and I just missed it?

There's a huge difference between telling you you can't say something or demanding that you fall on your sword for a cause and acknowledging the fact that we don't exist in a vacuum and our words do have consequences.

To me, the question here was whether or not such heavy discussion about how offensive the cartoons are is having a negative effect and lending to the cause of apologists. I believe the answer to that question is absolutely, yes. I've seen many examples of Western liberals who focused so much on the "hatefulness" part of the discussion that the attacks aren't even, in their mind, about freedom of speech at all, and who have no sympathy for the cartoonists. They have tunnel vision on the fact that it was offensive and offensive to an oppressed minority.

If you disagree that this effect is occurring, that's fine, I could be wrong, and I'd like to hear about it. But in my observation, it is. That's all I've been trying to say. I don't see anyone telling you that you cannot express your dislike of the cartoons, unless I missed something, in which case I apologize. I do think musivore and I both fell over ourselves to assure you that you could at one point or another.

But I don't see why we ought to keep silent about what we perceive to be the consequences of how we handle the shooting re the discussions afterward. And no, that doesn't make you or I the bad guys, it's still 100% on the shoulders of the real apologists and the real killers, but this is unfortunately how it is as far as I can tell. There's no reason to ignore that, is there?
     Reply #339 - January 12, 2015, 04:23 PM

I also think the sort of satire published by hebdo is a vapid crass and vulgar way to use the pen.

Although I defend their right to do it, doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

Anyone who knows me will know I criticise Islam a great deal but I always avoid attacking or demeaning Muslims  and avoid gratuitious insults. I have never, for example participated in draw muhammad day.

Well what is more offensive? Drawing a caricature of a man who was responsible for a lot of violence and the killing of a lot of people, who holding this man up as some kind of hero and role model?

To me the latter is far more offensive.

Reply #340 - January 12, 2015, 04:40 PM

Excellent article, Zeca - thanks for posting.

Yes, I am the first to admit I look at Charlie Hebdo through the eyes of the British tradition of satire and the boundaries we have here - as I said below.

I'd say there's nothing wrong in itself with being unenthusiastic about Charlie Hebdo's style of satire and saying so - I'm not sure I'm that keen myself. But as it happens it coincides with some genuinely terrible responses from the British left - which muddies the waters and I think may be what people are really reacting to. I wouldn't take any criticism on this to heart.
     Reply #341 - January 12, 2015, 04:46 PM

One of the surviving Charlie Hebdo cartoonists has scoffed at the surge in support for the satirical magazine after the attack, which killed eight of his colleagues and four other victims.

Bernard Holtrop, who was not in the office during the massacre on Wednesday, admitted the publication's new found fame was 'laughable' and comes from people who have 'never seen it'.

The Dutch-born artist reportedly said the provocative weekly had unexpected 'new friends' including the Pope, Queen Elizabeth and Vladimir Putin.

He told Dutch newspaper Volkskrant: 'We vomit on all these people who suddenly say they are our friends,' and added that most of the support has come from people who have 'never seen Charlie Hebdo.'

'It really makes me laugh,' he added. 'A few years ago, thousands of people took to the streets in Pakistan to demonstrate against Charlie Hebdo. They didn't know what it was. Now it's the opposite.'

Holtrop, who uses the pen name Willem, also admitted he did not attend the office on Wednesday when two gunmen stormed the building because he didn't like editorial meetings.

'I never come to the editorial meetings because I don't like them. I guess that saved my life,' he told French newspaper Liberation....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2905065/We-vomit-people-suddenly-say-friends-says-Charlie-Hebdo-cartoonist-scoffs-surge-support-attack.html
     Reply #342 - January 12, 2015, 04:50 PM

Afro

And a lot of new-found post-modernist critics of the magazine haven't ever read Charlie as well.

It is quite spectacular.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #343 - January 12, 2015, 05:01 PM

I for one must admit that I was too lazy to read the entire thread. I responded only to the one that Asbie responded to you about Abu. I looked, but couldn't find what he was referring to. If I wasn't lazy, and had searched for context, I may not have posted what I did. Besides, my posts were directed more at general liberal apologists who keep upsetting me, and I seem to have taken that out on you Abu.

For all of that, I am sorry if I prompted you to look again at your posts.

Hi
     Reply #344 - January 12, 2015, 05:22 PM

I have to agree with what Asbie said several posts ago: I don't see anyone saying that, Abu Ali. Has someone said that you have to silence yourself or cannot speak your mind on this thread and I just missed it?

Well that was what I understood from Musivore's response:

^^ although I agree with the right to dislike the cartoons, perhaps because they are overly offensive and unnecessarily vulgar, I think now is not the time to express that opinion. That blurs the issue. We should focus instead on entirely condemning the massacre, as well as the individuals who carried out it, and the religion that drove them to it. There should be no 'but' appended to the the condemnation. Every time I see one, my stomach turns.

Plus I got the impression from others that they thought my criticism of the type of satire in Charlie Hebdo was somehow the same as apologists who seek to justify the attacks in some way.

I mean what was I to make of Jedi's reply to my criticism of Charlie Hebdo? He replied with this (puzzling) post:

'You draw a picture of my Muhammad looking like a fool.'

'You have condemened both me and my children to eternal Hell-Fire.'

Which is more offensive?

I couldn't understand how or why that was a response to my criticism of Hebdo's style of satire and so replied:

The  latter of course!!

But I don't understand your point?

Jedi did not respond, but Lily did - and again her response puzzled me. My first reaction was that she was saying I was being a hypocritical. (You can't blame me for thinking that since Lily's reply was in response to me asking Jedi for clarification of his response to my post.) However I think now she was probably speaking about those Muslims who try to justify the attacks. But since that is NOT what we were discussing then it doesn't make sense and you can't blame me for thinking she was also equating my criticism of the magazine with those who try to justify the attacks.

Perhaps a little hypocrisy? "If I not allowed to draw Mohammed in a crass manner, you should not be able to say I am going to hell."

I wonder the response if someone drew Mohammed burning in hell.

But I didn't say noone is allowed to draw Muhammad.

I specifically said I defend their right to draw Muhammad.

Reply #345 - January 12, 2015, 05:25 PM

Besides, my posts were directed more at general liberal apologists who keep upsetting me, and I seem to have taken that out on you Abu.

For all of that, I am sorry if I promoted you to look again at your posts.

Thanks, Musivore - I think that is what irritated me.

It seemed some people were lazily replying to me - but were not actually replying to what I was actually saying but replying to the apologists they were angry with and taking it out on me.

Smiley
     Reply #346 - January 12, 2015, 05:31 PM

Well what is more offensive? Drawing a caricature of a man who was responsible for a lot of violence and the killing of a lot of people, who holding this man up as some kind of hero and role model?

To me the latter is far more offensive.

(Clicky for piccy!)

I give up!!
     Reply #347 - January 12, 2015, 05:41 PM

Yes, though I have to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Precisely. And to me it is bizarrely funny because PressTV on the other hand have white westerners claim it is a Zionist conspiracy while cracking down on Iranian journalists who want to show solidarity.

Also it helps to know it is not forbidden to show the prophets in at least the Iranian(Hizbollah flavour of Shiism.

But still interesting nonetheless.

Reply #348 - January 12, 2015, 05:43 PM

I give up!!

Just want to let you know that I get you, Abu Smiley

Reply #349 - January 12, 2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks for explaining, Abu Ali, and I went back and read everything again, but I have to admit, I'm just not seeing it. I'm not seeing the antagonism that you are, I'm not seeing anyone attacking you, I'm not seeing people say you can't have an opinion. I guess I'm reading everything in a different way than you?

I hope you can at least believe that you're so well-liked and respected by most everyone here that I sincerely doubt any of us would make the mistake of thinking you an apologist for violence.

Also:
    Can I just say I've read this whole thread and I'm very impressed with how civilised this forum is.  This is a highly emotional topic and most forums would have descended into some form of argument by now.  

Oops. Cheesy
     Reply #350 - January 12, 2015, 06:22 PM

Lol, and well said lua.

Hi
     Reply #351 - January 12, 2015, 07:39 PM

My best mate posted a message " the attacks were a terrible action by fascists"  Afro (or words to that effect)....and then he followed it up with "Two wrongs don't make a right"  015

Totally missed the point that the Je Suis Charlie demonstrations are trying to make. I was not impressed.

Yes the cartoons were crude and unsophisticated, but nowhere near as crude and offensive as "Disbelievers will burn in hell".

In any case, why didn't the jihadists just draw a satirical cartoon in response? What ever happened to 'an eye for an eye'?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #352 - January 12, 2015, 08:33 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/01/12/charlie-hebdo-to-print-mohammed-cartoons.html

3 Million Copies of Charlie Hebdo Coming -With Mohammed on the front cover.
     Reply #353 - January 12, 2015, 08:41 PM

Kenan Malik: Assimilationism vs Multiculturalism
    https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/assimilationism-vs-multiculturalism/
     Reply #354 - January 12, 2015, 09:33 PM

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/01/12/charlie-hebdo-to-print-mohammed-cartoons.html

3 Million Copies of Charlie Hebdo Coming -With Mohammed on the front cover.

I fear a reaction.  Cry You may get jihadists targeting readers on the metro.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #355 - January 12, 2015, 09:48 PM

There are already conspiracy theories going around about this tragedy  Cry

Reply #356 - January 12, 2015, 09:49 PM

That could really fuck things up if random or organised faithfuls do that.

Possible motivation for such retribution:
    More than 50 anti-Muslim incidents since French attacks: group

Paris (AFP) - There have been more than 50 anti-Muslim incidents in France since last week's shootings by gunmen claiming to represent Islamist groups, the country's Muslim community said on Monday.

The incidents included 21 reports of shooting at Islamic buildings and the throwing of some form of grenades, and 33 threats, a spokesman for the monitoring body at the Central Council of Muslims in France said.

Reply #357 - January 12, 2015, 09:50 PM

There are already conspiracy theories going around about this tragedy  Cry

Conspiracy theories got there so fast. Those were obviously prepared in advance.

True. They are rampant.

Reply #358 - January 12, 2015, 10:07 PM

I seldom get to the end of Kenan Malik's articles. He talks a lot of sense, but he's such a dull writer.
     Reply #359 - January 12, 2015, 10:08 PM

Liberation (the French news paper which is assisting Charlie Hebdo with the production) has cleverly released the cover that will come out Wednesday:

"All is forgiven"

• Previous page 1 ... 10 11 1213 14 ... 20 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »